Texas @ Oklahoma

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by DJ Rhude, Apr 5, 2009.

1. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Texas @ Oklahoma

All year the coach of Oklahoma has been waiting for this matchup. Not only was coach Rhude a bit salty about the Texas coach running up the score on his OU squad last year to the tune of 77 points (what made it worse was coach Rhude was away from the team and assistant Coach Perfectly Uprepared was handling the play calling duties)

All year the coach of Oklahoma has been waiting for this matchup. Not only was coach Rhude a bit salty about coach Kingerock running up the score on his OU squad last year to the tune of 77 points (what made it worse was coach Rhude was away from the team and assistant Coach Perfectly Underwhelmed was handling the play calling duties), Rhude was non too pleased about disparaging comments the Texas coach made about his two back to back Big 12 titles. Further fuel was thrown on the fire when the Texas coach boldy claimed he would win the Big 12 this year. I guess the the Longhorn coach conviently forgot that he's never beaten Oklahoma with Rhude at the helm. All of these factored into what was going to be an intense game.

OU came into this game reeling with a 2-2 record. Their two OOC games, OU was used as a pinata. Their defense was nonexistent as well as their offense. If Texas was to beat OU, the time was now.

The first quarter saw Texas win the toss and immediately they started to move down field. OU's defense was more in a feeling out process, so they made notes of what Texas was doing as they drove down the field. One particular play Coach Rhude noted Texas loved to run was a quick pass to the flats, sometimes out of play action. So with Texas on the Sooner's 15 yard line, Rhude had his cornerback Abrams audible to cover the flats. A call that would pay dividends as Abrams cut in front of a pass that was intended for the Texas halfback, and scampered untouched for OU's first score.

OU - 7
    Texas - 0
    [​IMG]
    Abrams says, "You won't be needing this"​

On Texas second possession, coach Rhude got a bit too cute and tried to jump a route which led to a man wide open on a corner route. Touchdown Texas. Fuck! just what he didn't want to happen, just happened. A quick score.

OU - 7
    Texas - 7

On the Sooners first possession, they came out in 5 wide, trying to mess with the Texas coach head a bit who he knew would be looking for thr run. Once the pass was established, the Sooners ran their star half back Green down the Longhorns throats. Green could not be stopped and Oklahoma built a 21-7 lead primarily on the legs of Green. QB Jeff Barnes was not asked to throw much at all, but he did have a huge play in the second quarter. OU came out in shotgun, and Barnes ran an option play. Noticing that the Texas linebacker committed to Green, Barnes kept the ball and was off on a 72 yard scamper. That eventually led to freshman HB Thomas Robertson's 4 yard score. OU would cause another turnover via an interception by SS Corbett and tacked on another field goal.

Halftime
    Oklahoma - 24
    Texas - 7

The second half, OU's defense continued to clamp down on the Longhorn offense. They knew to take away the screen plays, the flat passes and the tightends something they did sucessfully. Texas would move the ball on the ground via HB Davis legs, but they kept Texas out of the endzone holding them to two field goals. CB Abrams would also intercept another pass in the flats on another play he abandoned his original assignment and played the flats.
    [​IMG]
    Abrams says, "Pardon my manners, I didn't say thank you last time. Thanks"​

Late in the game with the Sooners up 34-13 and about 2:43 remaining they would add insult to injury when Sophomore cornerback Delvin Joyce would intercept a pass and take it back 70 yards for another OU score. On the play, JOyce noticed that the Texas defenders stopped running after him, clearly demoralized.

Final score: Oklahoma - 41, Texas - 13

After the game the Texas coach blew off the obligatory post game hand shake and stormed off the field, to which Rhude just chuckled and said to his assistant coach, "gonna be kinda hard for that prediction to come true now"

Notable stats:

Green - 27 att, 145 yds, 2 TD
    Abrams - 9 tackle, 2 INT, TD

Highlights:
    http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/4744490

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    After the game the Texas coach blew off the obligatory post game hand shake and stormed off the field, to which Rhude just chuckled and said to his assistant coach, "gonna be kinda hard for that prediction to come true now"

LMAO ouchies...

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I needed a win by Texas badly in this game. Didn't get it. Selfish outlook aside, I did notice that Kinger likes those quick outs. Easy read but also one of the more dangerous passes you can throw in the game. Tough loss Kinger, but Oklahoma has their season back on track.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I rarely throw the quick out...and if i do, it's against the lesser user pick guys in the league. It's worst trying to throw 20-25 yards across the field for a 8-9 yard gain.

5. Kingerock

Kingerock I'm kinda a big deal...

GG Rhude. I didn't mean to 'blow off' any post game anything, but I had a 3 year old in my lap way after bedtime who just peed all over me, so I wasn't trying to get away from you, but trying to get me and her clean.

The game honestly when as I expected it to. For whatever reason over the last 2 seasons what little awr played into the game is completely gone. So it's speed and joystick vs speed and joystick. I refuse to work my joystick skills (I want to win with my football brain, not my 10 button brain) and while I have ok speed I also just cant make myself bench a redshirt senior for a true freshman for 4 points of speed. So I'll probably loose every user vs user game from here on out.

I was hoping to catch a few turnovers. I didn't and really haven't all season. I figured with turnovers and a strong running attack I could keep it close. Instead my QB's are throwing them more and more.

My pass rush is still strong, but with my DBs awareness meaning nothing it doesn't matter.

I do throw the short pass and the out even to the destruction of my own game. Again, I just can't seem to get through my head that the game is a game, I want to call it as if it were going to react like a real game. When an All American WR goes up against a freshman/sophmore DB, I expect to come away with it more often than not. Either I'll get it eventually or just keep throwing record numbers of INTs.

I still predict winning the Big 12 and fully expect to. We've handed it to Oklahoma twice now, I'll let you hand it to me this season.

Don't whine about my 70+ on Oklahoma last season, the CPU put 70+ on me in that same game.

But all jaring aside, GG. I'll come back next season and continue to try and beat the Sooners in the rivalry.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It's odd Kinger, I feel the exact opposite as you . Since we went to Heisman mode I feel like I can rely on my players to cover the gaps, play decent in zones, etc. and I'm doing less stick-wise on defense than I ever have.

7. Kingerock

Kingerock I'm kinda a big deal...

yeah, I don't know what to tell you. Since the move I've enjoyed the CPU games more and the User games much, much less. I know everyone will chime in and say the opposite and it's all in my head so i'll just agree... it must all be in my head.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I think JMS will agree with you kinger...

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I can sum up what has happened.........I was a better than good number of the guys when the league started.........everyone has caught up and passed me by....I need to elevate my game.

I am playing much better than last season......and my team is very young.

Young recievers, sophmore LBs, Freshman cbs, Freshman DE, Freshman HBs.

We will try to make another run at the trophy with in the next 2 years. This year is shot already.......OSU left and then all CPU.

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Also almost everyone is playing this bend dont break defense. Early on I was scoring on big plays.......the big plays are much few and far between now.

The plan now is to get players to throw as much as possible when the defense is has 7 Defensive players in Zone Defense. Interceptions are bound to happen. This is why if you can run effectively you can open alot up.

11. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I still play agressive on defense...I hate playing all coverage

I will blitz dat ass, which is why I still give up big plays...but that is my mentality on defense.....I gamble a lot too....if Kinger went to a go route on those two plays I audibled my CB to the flats, I would've been toast.....my SS would've been too far out of position to make a play on the WR

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I feel like everyone is forcing the other team to dink and dunk. It is a good strategy as I am trying to force 3rd and long but as you can see I dont have a good 3rd and long defense.......ugh!!!!

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    you haven't played me nor rhude haha...i'm aggressive by nature...i'll bite on PA a lot too because i'm stacking for the run.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You Killed me......and Rhude and I split. I was throwing user pick and user pick against you and playing defense..........yeah I didnt!

We should hook up again next season....MO.

I will have guys ready to race with Goodman..........which by the way has a retarded YPC number.......

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    ha it's good that i don't use him that much, i don't think he's had over 20 carries yet this season.

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

incorrect he is over 40......

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    bah i meant a game lol...20 carries a game.

18. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

try it one game, Tom Brady.....see how it feels..........

I think you could easily crush all rushing record with that guy!!