Texas Presser

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Diddy81, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Texas Presser

[​IMG]

Coach how did your team respond after that devastating upset loss to Nebraska?

What do you attribute that loss to?

John Chiles is holding off Toliver in the projected Heisman finish, comment a little on what he means to your program.

Talk defense. With all those shut outs give us some insight to who is stepping up big on that defense.

The game with TAMU now becomes a must win, I know it's down the road but comment on how the added pressure to win this game with Big 12 confence bid on the line will effect your team?

2. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

We responded by playing like we have all season. Balanced offense and a very tough defense. Our defense has been playing lights out all season, just wasn't able to catch interceptions in the Nebraska game. There is no doubt in my mind they will play with a furious passion rest of the year.

A couple things really, we didn't get the play we wanted at the QB position. We had poor throws to open receivers, missed numerous opportunities to end Nebraska drives on dropped interceptions and we got away from our gameplan. Nebraska made plays when needed.

He means alot, in the same light as Sherrod Harris was to us last season in his Heisman win. We have playmakers all over the field, but he sets the tone for our offense and we go as he goes. If he can continue to play well and lead us to victories, we hope he can bring us our 2nd Heisman trophy home in a row.

It is a comeplete team effort. Up front our dline is playing well against the run and getting pressure on opposing QB's. Our LB's are all over the field making plays and we they get their hands on the ball they know what to do. Our secondary is as solid as they come, which surprised me when they dropped interceptions like they did in the Nebraska game. They can also come up against the run and make plays in the backfield. So as a complete unit, they all play well together to make our defense tough. Of course play by a particular few is contributing to its success. FS Earl Thomas, OLB Sam Acho and LE Alex Okafor.

We're not looking at this game as added pressure to win. If we take care of business things should fall into place. Us being out of the #1 ranking has taken the pressure off of us. We will now take one game at a time and see where everything falls at the end. The TAMU game will be a huge game that will have major Big 12 title implications, but we're not looking ahead. We have Texas Tech next and we will focus and prepare for that game.

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Congrats on the Big 12 South title. How were you guys able to have so much success against the Aggies?

How will you guys attack the Huskers this time around?

If you win, make your case for or against Texas getting in the title game with 1 loss over the Alabama/Florida winner.

4. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Thank you it was hard fought, always tough going through the south year in, year out. That makes it more rewarding when you know you have to play the Oklahoma's and Texas A&M's every year and prove yourself.

Really we just stuck to our gameplan, things were looking to get out of hand early on with the back to back turnovers. What was key is we held them to only field goals, except the fumble return. We could have been easily looking at a 21-0 game in the 1st quarter-early 2nd quarter. We held on and the offense rallied well after Chiles was put out of the game with an injury. Well rest him up and see if he's ready to go in 2 weeks.

We will definitely stick to our gameplan this time around, I feel last game we got outside of ourselves and forced the issue. Things surely could have turned out differently I guess if not for the elements that game. There will be some adjustments that we will make and we'll go from there. We fully expect a much better effort though thats for sure.

Well I don't really want to lobby to much for our team, I think we have proven ourselves week in and week out. I feel our strengh of schedule is respectable along with other teams if not better. We will worry about those scenarios though later, first we have to get past Nebraska then things will fall as they may.

The BCS has had a thing for the SEC this year though so you never know lol.

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Congrats on the BCS Bowl Bid and Big 12 Championship. Talk about Texas dominance in the Big 12 and what you must do to beat LSU and the Heisman winner Toliver.

6. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Thank you, unfortunately we will take an asterisk by our 2nd Big XII title this year, but we look forward to our rematch with Nebraska next year.

Well us making our 3rd straight trip to the conference championship game is huge, obviously its tough to do it year in and year out with the competition we face. To get out of the southern part of the conference is a job in itself, playing the likes of Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Then we have to go up north and play Nebraska. So its definitely tough to continue playing at the high level we have been.

We were a little disappointed not getting into the national championship, but have no one to blame but ourselves for that. We will go into our bowl game with LSU excited and hopefully ready to play. Its a couple of teams who missed out on the national championship game because of 1 loss, so we are sure LSU will come into the game with a chip on their shoulders as well

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Tough loss coach. What was the mood in the locker room after that one?

What did you think of the fumble call, was it legit?

I see that you passed for big numbers, how was your run game in this one?

Texas has typically just been stingy on defense, was this a let down?

8. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Not bad really, I mean the team and QB played great. Not much else they could have done. Our QB Garrett was down because he just doesn't know what happened to his accuracy. Said he felt great about his throws after making solid reads just didn't happen for him. He wasn't fazed by the crowd at all, even from the very first snap of the game.

I don't know maybe the spirit of their recently deceased mascot Uga VII was in the air. We will take this as a learning experience somehow and move on.

I wasn't surprised at all. To be honest I didn't really pay attention to it, I knew the ball was out before he was down. If you were to see the game though it wouldn't have surprised you that it was going to happen. I actually knew something would happen in their favor unfortunately. I was still baffled it even got to that point. Like I said our QB threw 2 incompletions the entire game up until the 4th quarter, which they were dropped passes. Then went 1 for 5 due to terribly off target passes. Those hurt because they would have moved the chains and kept possession.

The run game was solid, moved the chains quite a bit with it. Georgia started loading the box so we saw an opportunity to air it out and kept at it because our QB was finding his receivers on target very well. You should have seen the balls he threw out there.

Well first off we gave the ball to them twice in under a two minute span. On both of their ensuing two drives, we gave up a 4th and 17 which should have been a pick. Then on a 4th and goal gave up a TD pass into double coverage. Defense had 4 picks on the day but their QB honestly was unfazed and threw nothing but on target strikes in the 4th, getting two passing TDs. Not sure what else they could have done, got to the QB with pressure, got interceptions...just couldn't do anything much more. Should have won, but shoulda..coulda..woulda doesn't count for much.

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Big win in the RRR, how does Texas manage to be Oklahoma's constant kryptonite?

Gilbert really stepped up and made it happen. What did you say to him after the game?

What does Texas need to improve to win out and end up in a BCS Bowl?

10. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

It was a huge win for us, obviously because it was the Red River Rivalry game and the fact Oklahoma came into the game ranked #1. Every year it is a tough game between us that usually comes down to a late last minute drive. Oklahoma is a well-coached team and we we're fortunate to get the victory. I think the fact I have been the beneficiary of crucial big plays in our games. Each game has a turning point of course, but we have just been on the better end of those plays. They could go either way so just as close as narrow as we have been winning, we could have lost by that same margin. Also the injury to their star QB Jones in the 3rd quarter was huge. The backup came in and threw a costly pick.

I told him he played a solid game and stepped up when we needed him. I think he is starting to settle in at the starting QB spot now. I created a little bit of a controversy at the start of the season by starting RS Freshman Sanders, who actually had a monster first game for us against Arizona St. I think they got to Garrett and messed with his confidence a little in spring ball. Once we placed him as the starter he has been stellar ever since. We look for him to have a huge year for us and win some ball games.

3rd down conversion percentage on both offense and defense. We need to move the chains when we have the opportunity to do so on offense. On defense we need to get teams off the field on 3rd or 4th downs. That hurt us in the Georgia game and also reared its head in the Oklahoma game. If we can't do either then we have alot of work cut out for ourselves. Its still alot of season left to improve, so we have time.

11. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Your team is kindof/sort of flying under the BCS radar. How does it feel to receive a little less attention?

Texas obvioulsy has an outside chance at ending up in the title game. Is that used as a form of motivation with this team?

Some are saying this could be the year that Texas is knocked off the Big 12 perch. Do you feel better about playing Nebraska or colorado?

12. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

We know where we are and what we can accomplish if we handle business, that is all that matters really. We put ourselves in this position by giving a victory away in Georgia earlier in the season unfortunately, but we have worked hard and hopefully will finish the season strong.

We're still going to compete and play hard, last season we were left out of the title game as well. Its just the way it is but our team will work and go after it and if we get in, then we get in. We're not looking ahead though, only to next week against the Aggies.

Well we have been fortunate enough to get to the Big XII title game every year I have been head coach and we have won 2 of those 3. I like our chances the way our team is playing now with whomever we face. We will line up against whoever the opponent is and we have no preference. But again we aren't looking that far ahead yet, our focus is on Texas A&M and that is it.

Thank you