Texas Tech: Current State of the Program

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by danielm025, Sep 25, 2009.

1. danielm025

danielm025 "Wreck 'em Tech!"

Texas Tech: Current State of the Program

Initial Thoughts:
    Wow, what to do about DE's... I currently have one DE on the roster and a need of three to recruit minimum. I'm hoping to get a decent JUCO or a minimum of a three star to start next year. If it doesn't work out, I can always move one of my OLBs down. Of course, I'd rather not do that but it's a tough situation.

Offense seems to be solid and intact. Taylor Potts has a great arm and has great pocket presence for a pocket passer (72 spd). Baron Batch returns as well as future star SO RB Harrison Jeffers. Tramain Swindall headlines the WRs after coming off of a 76rec/1,046yds/5td year and is poised to possibly make a run for some pre and postseason awards. We lost a lot of really solid starting lineman in Brandon Carter (LG), Shawn Byrnes (C), and Marlon Winn (RT). There is a lot of young talented OL on the roster to fill in so hopefully things will run smoothly.

Defense, besides the DEs, will be a solid group next year. They are returning 7 starters. The only glaring hole seems to be the DEs. Ryan Haliburton should have a solid first year starting but the opposite DE spot will be in flux until the offseason has passed. The DTs are solid with Colby Whitlock and Chris Perry penciled in as starters at this point. Colby Whitlock goes without saying but Chris Perry (True JR) is a big boy at 6'3" 308lbs and he is expected to do really good things in the middle. The LBs are returning two impact players in Brian Duncan and Bront Bird. They were the leading tacklers of the team a year ago. They will only get better with another year under their belt. The secondary will return three starters in LaRon Moore (CB), Franklin Mitchem (FS), and Cody Davis (SS). Jamar Wall was a steadfast CB during his career at Tech and his position will be up for grabs throughout this offseason. CBs Nathan Stone and Taylor Charbonnet are expected to battle it out.

Special Teams are, for the most part, intact. K Matt Williams will return for his Junior year after he was 22/23 in FGs, boasting a 95%. Donnie Carona (P) returns for his senior year. Aaron Crawford (HB) will more than likely resume kick returns and Harrison Jeffers will return punts once again.

My predecessor (CPU) did a decent job at recruiting what the team didn't need and didn't really have a board set up for success this offseason. :( Here are the numbers for recruiting:

Players: 51
    Recruits Signed: 6
    Scholarships Available: 13

Here are the recruits that have been signed:

4 star WR (#5) Greg Griffin - South Houston, TX
    4 star DT (#12) Jon Kirby - Raymondville, TX (JUCO)
    4 star RB (#14) Ronald Ward - Dickinson, TX
    3 star FB (#4) Ryan Fitzpatrick - McAllen, TX
    3 star OG (#30) Rodney Webb - Azle, TX
    3 star TE (#40) Kevin Hines - Waxahachie, TX

I will post a recruiting evaluation week by week as I sign them. I'm glad to be part of this dynasty and I look forward to the competition next year. Especially those hated AGGIES! ;)

2. danielm025

danielm025 "Wreck 'em Tech!"

Three weeks into the offseason and the outlook has changed considerably. I made some ground on the DE issue and picked up some solid recruits on the way. Here is a first look at the recruits that have committed so far:

Offense

4 star RB (#14) Ronald Ward - Dickinson, TX
    6'1" 223lbs Power

A true North/South type of runner(Agi - C) that projects to be more of a short yardage/goalline type of back in the Air Raid. A guaranteed redshirt, he will have plenty of time to work on his average skill set.

4 star WR (#5) Greg Griffin - South Houston, TX
    5'10" 171lbs Balanced

A very solid pickup IMO. He has good speed (B+) and really good hands (C+ hands, B- SpC) coming out of the gate. Projects to be a very solid inside receiver in the future for the Air Raid.

3 star FB (#4) Ryan Fitzpatrick - McAllen, TX
    6'1" 200lbs Blocking

If this guy had a little more speed, he would be the ultra back. He seems to be good at almost everything. He can pass pro, catch, and break tackles. He will be a good fit in the two back shotgun set with his versatility.

3 star TE (#40) Kevin Hines - Waxahachie, TX
    6'4" 242lbs Blocking

He isn't a prototypical fit to the current Air Raid but will be useful in short yardage/goalline situations if needed. He has a decent hands (C+) and has the size you would like for a solid TE.

3 star OG (#30) Rodney Webb - Azle, TX
    6'6" 284lbs Run Block

He will definitely redshirt so that he can work on his pass pro (C- PBF, C PBS). He has tremendous height for a guard and may eventually transition to tackle later on in his career. Very solid run blocker (B- across the board) and can turn out to be a superstar if he can develop his pass pro.

4 star C (#7) Reynaldo Fitzpatrick - Adamsville, AL
    6'4" 311lbs Pass Block

A huge get from SEC country for the Raiders here. He has the ability to play any position on the line with his size. He is a great all around blocker but really shines with his footwork (B RBF, B- PBF) which is usually the most difficult thing for incoming lineman at the college level. He will be a good one.

Defense

3 star DE (#33) Cory Sullivan - W Carrollton, OH
    6'4" 297lbs Balanced

Here is a guy who is a very raw talent and could turn out to be a very solid DE in the years to come. He has decent speed (C+), wraps up well (C+ Tkl), and has a knack for shedding blocks (C+). He needs to refine his moves a little bit and it would do him well to redshirt but he might not have that luxury.

2 star DE (#81) Corey Perez - Auburn, ME
    6'1" 243lbs Balanced

Some may think he will be a project but IMO he has a lot of upside. He has excellent speed (B), decent moves (C+ PWM), and has a nose for the ball (B PST). He could very well develop into a dominant force in the coming years.

4 star DT (#12) Jon Kirby - Raymondville, TX (JUCO)
    6'2" 290lbs Balanced

Comes off as a somewhat polished DT out of the gate. He has good moves (C+ PWM, FNM) and can lay a lick on the opposition (B HP). If he has a good fall camp, he will definitely make a case to join the game rotation.

3 star MLB (#16) Micah Walker - Fox Farm-College, WY (JUCO)
    6'0" 248lbs Balanced

Pretty much a fill-in at this point. He has below average speed (C) and his pursuit leaves me wanting (C-). Will look to solidify this position next year.

4 star ATH (#14) Johnny Miller - Fort Benning South, GA
    6'0" 220lbs Potential OLB

He looks like a perfect fit as an OLB. We are pretty stocked at that position but I couldn't pass him up as he could be a 'tweener LB/DE in the future. He has good speed (B-), decent strength (C+), and is good at shedding his blocks (B-). He's a lock to redshirt.

That is all for now. I will write up a final update after signing day. Hope you enjoyed it.