TF: Wrong or Right?

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Gyrene76, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Scenario:

Game is tied up and you are within field goal range. The opponent only has 1 timeout. You go field goal on 2nd down. Your opponent calls a time out. You then run the ball and then kick the field goal to prevent an ice.

Tell me what you think?

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If you want to take the risk of running it I don't see a problem.

3. JoHud

JoHud Walk On

I don't see an issue with it... Sounds like sound gamesmanship to me.

4. Gyrene76

See I was the person running the ball. I went to kick on 2nd down and a timeout was called. I then ran an ISO and covered ball. Then on 4th kicked a FG.

It became an issue, but not a big one. It was resolved, but wanted to see the general TF consensus.

5. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

That is a garbage move Josh! I can't believe you did that. Lol just messing with you. Great move. I mean it's the other guys fault for calling it that early. Either wait til there for sure wasn't enough time for you to run a play. Or face the fact that you are gonna lose lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

well it's a lot better than running the score up in the first half.

7. Gyrene76

lol, i figured Hellisan would be in here yelling about the ICE :D

Is this something that sml did? lol

8. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Helli has a baby now, he can't afford the ice. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

sounds like a great coaching move to me..like sml said the other guy took a chance by calling the timeout to try and ice you but it didn't pay off

10. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

:thumbsup:

you did this to me in the TAE national championship to win the game and i was completely fine with it. thought it was a smart move.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

That's straight garbage... that's not realistic at all... just a way to minimize your opponent's one hope that you could miss the kick because normally kicks are 99.9% makeable.... percentage is not that high in real life and blocking kicks are rare... I'd be piss for a cheap trick like that because there is no adverse effect for that... you put run on conservative and your chances of fumbling on the next play are less than 1%... #justsayin'

12. Gyrene76

@JerzeyReign

You seem pretty passionate about this bro.

Here was my thing. The play clock was less than the game clock. Therefore, I could run the entire clock and kick it with little time left. I expect him to call a timeout with 5 seconds left or something to prevent me from running that play, but he accidentally called a TO.

He said that that was his fault and he should have waited before calling timeout, nonetheless, I respect your opinion.

13. Gyrene76

and by accidentally, I don't mean he pressed the timeout button inadvertently, but he wasn't thinking about.

14. Keenan Evans

Keenan Evans Walk On

I don't know why that is garbage at all?

The other coach should have waited. The play call seemed brilliant to me. He had the ball and he was in drivers seat. The coach could have waited until it got closer and made him kick with ice.

Anyways, good call.

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

The way it happened is garbage not the idea behind it... there are better ways to go about playing a user with one timeout and very little time on the clock... here' my better way of handling it:

• Run the ball (on conservative)
    • Let the clock run down, forcing user to use timeout
    • Run the ball again to get the clock moving (on conservative)
    • Call timeout once the clock has drained to my liking or just kick the FG
    That would play out more realistically than lining up in FG formation, making him use his timeout, running a play and then kicking the FG... but this is just my opinion, one of many;)

16. Gyrene76

I understand you. I was concerned with the fumbles because I was Colorado and he was Nebraska. I was covering up, but still. I'll definitely be conscious to try to avoid that at all cost from now on. Heck next time I'll probably just kicked it iced to prevent an issue.

17. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

If your opponent is cool with it I guess its cool... I had a similar 'sim or not sim' moment in NCAA '10... even though it was a great (and realistic thing to do) the idea was monkey raped... one user called me a genius for it and the other called me the anti-Christ;)... I guess it just depends on how the other player views the moment.

18. Gyrene76

haha, you got me curious on what the situation was?

19. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

20. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

Well the guy this happened to was me! :)

I was mad at first but told Josh it was cool and was a good call IMO later. I was dealing with a situation in the league I run at the same time over skype and was mad about that and trying to win a game at the same time. I got to admit that he got me on this one and move on.

Thanks for your input everyone. :)

21. Gyrene76

haha, 66-0 eh...anyways, I actually find nothing wrong with that, but whatever. I never get off-sides penalties on hard count when my defensive line is set to balanced, but thats me.

haha, bro...your avatar threw me off!

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Robin Williams is a funny mofo!!

• Like Like x 1
  23. Gyrene76

• Like Like x 1
  24. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

+1

25. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

At first, I was wondering how people thought this could be sim or fair at all. Running another play purely with the intent to un-ice the kicker seems a little bit lame, and the defense doesn't really know when you're going to go for the kick. Keep in mind, you have can run a QB spike/kneel with like 4 seconds left and still come out with time left.

Then, I realized, that if there was still a bunch of time left, a team would want to get rid of the time left on the clock so they very well might run the ball again. It probably shouldn't have gotten rid of the ice, though. :p