TFC: 2014 Whiparound

Discussion in 'The Final Countdown' started by KnightNoles, Aug 5, 2014.

1. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

Catch up on the 2013 season happenings or come and recap the games yourself.

2. KnightNoles

Cardinal downs Spartans

upload_2014-8-5_2-40-32.png

upload_2014-8-5_2-43-42.png
    Michigan State suffers their first loss at the beginning of season two after going 14-0 last season an capturing a National Championship. A flourish of points scored in the first half turned into a defensive game in the second, and who had the ball last was surely going to be the winner. Michigan State scored 14 unanswered points and left Stanford with under 3:00 to put together a game winning drive. Cardinal punched it in with :06 left and Kings Jr had returned well all game so Michigan State believed they would have a shot to break one and win as time expired, but he was tackled, and so the hail mary came out and was unsuccessful. The Spartans will look to rebound and see if they can run the table to defend their crown while Stanford will go on to face a tough schedule but they have passed their first test.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

Despite both coaches wanting to choke out the other one at the conclusion, it was truly a great game. Stanford had 35 points at halftime and none in the 2nd half until the last 6 seconds. Both teams made halftime defensive adjustments to slow down the other one.

True freshman QB Fred Gibson had over 400 yards total offense and was responsible for 3 TDs. Despite all the yardage KnightNoles gave me fits mixing up his defenses.

GG, no hard feelings and looking forward to another close game in the future.

4. KnightNoles

I think there had been once or twice that I've felt that gashed, I am a defense kinda guy so I was irked. lol

The difference in the game was your score before halftime, I was hoping to get that stop, that was crucial.

5. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

The Beaver ground game dominates the Cougars of BYU, giving Graham his first victory, 45-21.

RBs Brown and Woods combined for 40 attempts, 289 yards and 4 TDS.

Brown: 16 att, 141 yards, 2 TD
    Woods: 24 att, 148 yards, 2 TD

• Like Like x 2
  6. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Maryland Wins 38-35 Despite a Strong Trojan Comeback

This game started off really well for the Terps. Scoring on there first drive capped by a 15 yard TD pass from Caleb Rowe to Stefon Diggs. Diggs had a 54 yard reception on that drive that set up the TD. Following the opening drive, freshman OLB Robert Bryant took an INT in for a TD on the Trojan's 3rd offensive play making the score 14-0. On the next USC drive, QB Cody Kessler made a good play with his feet to get past the first down marker but he tried too much as ILB Abner Logan was able to force a fumble that was recovered by the Terps. Maryland's drive stalled though but they were still able to kick a FG to make it 17-0. USC finally got on the board their next 2 drives were answered rather quickly. The last of which was scored by freshman TE Greg Culp who had a nice day with 5 receptions for 92 yards and 1 TD. Tragedy struck as Stefon Diggs was injured on the last play of the 1st half when he attempted a punt return instead of calling a fair catch. He still had a nice day halling in 6 receptions for 142 yards and 1 TD he got on the first drive.

USC carried their momentum they gained into the 2nd half scoring on their opening drive when Kessler connected with Bryce Dixon for a 6 yard TD pass. Rowe was able to answer for the Terps with a nice throw in a tight window to WR Levern Jacobs that scored a 19 yard TD pass. USC answered right back with a quick drive capped by a 19 yard TD run by Javorius Allen. Rowe led his team back down to the goal line but a greedy throw was picked off in the end zone. That led to another USC TD when Allen got another TD run of 7 yards. Rowe apparently started to panic and threw yet another INT that set up USC to make their comeback but the Terps were able to stop them to win the game. One thing that wasn't mentioned was the fact that USC's run defense is very very good. They sell out for the run using the 4-4 front and it helps out tremendously. Last year's Heiman finalist Wes Brown wasn't much of a factor gaining 76 yards and no TDs.

GG SunofGod5
    I honestly believe if you would have started this game the way you ended it you would have won. Looking forward to a rematch down the road somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SunofGod5

SunofGod5 Walk On

LA Times “3rd downs

During the post conference Coach Boom was asked “what the key factors were during the game.” “3rd downs, getting off the field and staying on the field.” The Trojans Defense looked pitiful at times and were unable to stop Maryland offense on 3rd down conversion, allowing the Terps to go (10/12) on 3rd downs conversions. The Trojan high powered offensive was M.I.A going (1/8) on 3rd downs conversion. With strong play from Senior Running back J. Allen (16) ATT, (89) YDS and (2) TDs wasn’t enough for the Trojans to keep pace with Maryland. Senior QB C. Kessler stated “we need to work on executing better, even myself” C. Kessler 2 turnovers both came at a costly time (1Int, 1FL), C. Kessler finish the game (339) YDS, (19/28) ATT and 3 TD’s

The Trojan Defense played well against the run and Last year Heisman finalist running back W. Brown. Brown was held to (2.9) YAC on (26) ATT and (76) YDS, But the Defense offend looked lost against quarterback C. Rowe, Rowe went (19/22), (329) YDS and (3) TD against the Trojan Defense.

GG Papa Perry I should of went forward instead of allow my freshmen kicker to attempt a 51 yard Field Goal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Oregon Knocks Off Terps In College Park​

College Park, MD- The Oregon Ducks passed their first test of the new season, and may be on their way to rebounding from last season. The Ducks travelled to face the #6 Maryland Terrapins, and on the back of a strong ground game, and a near flawless performance from Marcus Mariotta were able to notch the upset 52-35.

Oregon started off with a bullet when sophomore WR Devon Allen took the opening kickoff up the left sideline for 103 yards and a score. Maryland answered well however with a long drive capped off with a short FG by Nathan Renfro. The Terps defense followed that up by forcing a quick 3 and out by the Ducks, and the offense capitalized by marching down the field and finishing the drive off with an 8 yard strike from Caleb Rowe to emerging star Stefon Diggs for a 10-7 lead. The Ducks took over with :10 seconds left in the first, and Thomas Tyner almost took the lead back to end the quarter when he broke off a 65 yard run to bring the ball inside the Maryland 10 yard line. He punched the ball in on the second play of the second quarter to put Oregon up 14-10.

Oregon's defense pretended to tighten up on Maryland's next drive, but they let Diggs slip behind them for a 36 yard score on 3rd down and a 17-14 Maryland lead. Oregon drove down the field to answer with a score and took the lead at 21-17 on a 12 yard keeper by Marcus Mariotta. Maryland tried to answer, but deep in Oregon territory Caleb Rowe threw the first of three interceptions to give Oregon a chance to take, at minimum a 7 point lead. Bralon Addison came up with a big 41 yard diving grab to put Oregon into Maryland territory and within Matt Wogan's field goal range, and after trying to slip one past the Terps the coaching staff let the clock bleed down inside of :10 and kicked a field goal to take a 24-17 lead into halftime.

Maryland received the opening kickoff, and just like their first drive of the game the Terps were eventually forced into a short FG. Oregon had their first long drive of the game, melting over 4 minutes off the clock on an 11 play scoring drive capped by a 16 yard run by Byron Marshall that gave Oregon a 31-20 lead. Oregon's defense came up big on the next drive when they forced Caleb Rowe into a second interception, and the Ducks decided to go for the big strike on the first play of the drive. Mariotta found Devon Allen in single coverage on the outside and lobbed a deep ball to him. He outjumped the Maryland DB, slipped the tackle, and found his way into the endzone for a 61 yard score and a 38-20 lead. Maryland answered with a good quick drive that found them in the endzone when Diggs got behind the defense again for a 37 yard score. Diggs was nearly unstoppable all day and the Maryland wideout finished with 7 catches for 178 yards and 2 scores. Diggs second score of the day brought the Terps within 11 at 38-27.

Oregon answered on their first drive of the 4th with a 20 yard TD from Mariotta to Allen to expand the lead back to 18. Maryland moved down the field quickly with a no huddle attack, but Caleb Rowe threw his final pick of the game. Oregon tried to melt the clock, but Byron Marshall had other ideas and snapped off a 54 yard run that iced the game away. Maryland did score one final time, when Rowe found TE Greg Culp for an 8 yard score.

Rowe had an excellent game throwing the ball, oustide of the interceptions, finshing 25/34 for 452 yards and 4 scores. TE Greg Culp had 10 grabs for 158 yards and a score and Levern Jacobs caught 6 passes for 102 yards. Wes Brown tallied 92 yards on the ground, but was unable to find the endzone.

Oregon had a good day offensively as well with Mariotta going 11/12 for 208 yards and the 2 TD's to Allen. Thomas Tyner ripped off several good gains en route to a 19 carry 132 yard day. Devon Allen had 2 catches for 81 yards and 2 scores, not to mention the 103 yard kick return he started the game off with. And Bralon Addison caught 3 balls for 72 yards. Defensively Torrodney Prevot led the Ducks with 9 tackles, Issac Dixon had 8 and Amoako, Rahim Cassell, and Springs came down with inteceptions.

Great game Papa Perry,

• Like Like x 1
  9. KnightNoles

I'll get the week updates going again here soon, looks like we will have more parity this season!

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Judging from the summary you have discovered the forward pass in NCAA?

11. hornfaninbama

Sort of haha 12 passes all game. I will say I'm more proficient than I used to be. But I still blame Taylor Martinez.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Todd Ramsey

Todd Ramsey Walk On

True freshman QB "Fast'" Fred Gibson let the Heisman talk go to his head as he layed a big fat egg on the road. His 4 INTs put the Cardinal in to big of a hole as they were shocked on the road 38-35 to the Fighting Illini. The Cardinal were down 24-7 at halftime, and 38-14 before they finally removed their head from their ass, but alas it was to late.

Helluva game qclassic 22

13. qclassic 22

qclassic 22 Walk On

Thanks my defense got a good start but I knew you were coming. That QB of yours is gonna be a big problem for the next 4 years

14. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

Oregon State dominates on the ground again, racking up over 300 yards rushing and another victory to move them to 2-0 on the season.

15. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

Thriller in SoCal - Beavers pull out a tough road win on a last second field goal to edge the Trojans 41-38

The first half was all defense. The USC rush defense was stout and the Beavers made timely plays to keep the score close during the first 2 quarters. The score was tied at 10 at the end of 2.

The second half was all offense. Neither team could stop the other for the most part and turnovers became the only defensive stops late. There were 8 TD's scored in the second half between the two teams. (yes, 8!)

The 3rd quarter saw the offenses trade blow for blow, each team answering a score from the other until late in the 4th Quarter with a little over a minute left, score tied and OSU inside the 20 yard line setting up a game-winning FG.......when Storm Woods, 90 ovr - SR HB is drilled and fumbles!!! with 1:20 left in the game, USC recovers and goes on to score the go-ahead TD with 1:01 remaining, Coach Graham is beside himself and the OSU offense looks dishelved.

Somehow the OSU offense is able to put together a TD scoring drive on the back of Luke Del Rio who hit Richard Mullaney over the middle to tie the game again with 19 seconds left in the game.

On the ensuing drive, USC decides to try to win the game in regulation, spreading the field with 5-WR, which had provided them much success on prior drives. This time however, Cody Kessler throws into a heavily defended area and Sophomore CB Deshon Hunt came off his man coverage assignment to pick off (nuts!!!) an out route to the TE, setting the Beavers up from USC's 34 yard line with 3 seconds on the clock.

Coach Graham decided to put True Freshman Punter, Dustin Neal in the game for his leg strength to give him a shot at the 51-yarder from the right hash with a 12mph crosswind blowing right to left.

..................Neal nails it, the Beavers get an improbable victory and Storm Woods lives to fumble another day. GG SunofGod5

Player of the Game: QB - Luke Del Rio 24/34 - 314 yards, 3 TDs, 1INT and a brand new confidence level!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Walter323

Walter323 Walk On

Arizona State Blows a 24-0 halftime lead to lose 24-32 at Washington!
    I have no idea what just happened, at halftime i was thinking shutout. Defense was playing well, Offence was spreading the ball around and moving well. Then all of a sudden QB Cyler Miles goes off for Washington and my true freshman QB Kahlif High has 2 fumbles and two INT.
    Wow, cant believe how this will ruin a morning after losing to the frickin computer again.
    Going to have to rethink my defensive strategy and maybe move to a different playbook next season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

Beavers can't muster a stop against Michigan State, Spartans easily handle OSU 46-23.

After the game, Coach Graham had this to say: "We need to get guys who want to play on our defense and soon. This performance was unacceptable and we will continue to search far and wide for athletes who wanna compete on the highest level of college football for our defense. Obviously we weren't talented enough on that side of the ball to compete today."

• Like Like x 1
  18. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

Beavers win the game but lose a star.

OSU was able to defeat Stanford 48-41 but, the Heisman candidate, SR-HB Storm Woods went down with a strained knee and is out for 7 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

what is up with Army and Navy? Army is #4 and Navy is 7-1.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Walter323

Walter323 Walk On

Big blow to the Sun Devils in week 11. True freshman QB Khalif High goes down for the season with a broken elbow vs UCLA. Sun Devils will have to go to senior Mike Bercovici to try and salvage the rest of the season.

21. hornfaninbama

RamesuThe1 Is The Civil War going to be a Top 5 matchup this season?? Lots on the line, Pac 12 North, state bragging rights, Pac 12 Title game berth, potential BCS title game berth

• Like Like x 1
  22. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

Very much looking forward to it. Should be a great game.

23. RamesuThe1

RamesuThe1 Walk On

We'll take this whooping gracefully. The Ducks are insanely good in the secondary and we don't the athletes to compete yet. Your team played great. Just know, this will NEVER happen again. Great game

24. hornfaninbama

It was a great game, and outside of a few plays you and your guys played very good. Everything went right for Oregon, and everything went wrong for OSU. Good luck the rest of the way, and I'll see you next season in Eugene.

• Like Like x 1
  25. KnightNoles