TFC: Name your starting 11

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by Drifterbub, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    TFC: Name your starting 11

TFC: Name your starting 11 (or 10, or 6)

This isn't intended to hurt anyone's feelings. Feel free to throw your opinions out on where you think someone should fit. Obviously this means nothing. Just for fun to see if we had 10-11 guys online, where they would all play.

What do you think?!

Formation Players
    Any Mutt/Max
    --x--x--x--x-- RB: CheeseDip, CB: Fecnik, CB: Adreedr, LB: Max/Mutt
    ----x-----x---- RDM: Ryno, LDM: KzooBlue
    --x---------x-- RM: Moon/Max, LM: Del
    -----x--------- RS/RAM: Bly
    --------x------ ST: Drifter

2. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

I like that look. I haven't seen everyone's skill, but from what I have seen that looks pretty good.

3. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I thought about swapping you and CheeseDip. How do you think you would do as a sideback? Both you and Cheese are good in the middle. You are probably a bit more defensive minded, IMO.

4. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

This is true. I am. Either way works for me. I do know that most of anyone we have played has not been able to out-physical me so I think defense would make sense. Punching people off the ball is a good role.

5. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I am good with that look. I like being out on the wing at it allows me to spread out more and cross the ball in.

6. KoG CHEESEDIP

KoG CHEESEDIP Walk On

I'm gonna be working on my pro pretty hard this week, and hopefully ill be able to hold possession a little better, because as of now my pro just gets bullied around.

7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I like it. I need to work on my "ANY" skills some to get on Mutt's level though haha

I like my little spot on the wing too. When my guy is a RF Creator he is deadly from the wing.

If Drifter/Bly is ever out, or we ever run a formation with 2 strikers I can make my guy into a Finisher and he is pretty good in that role too. Going to make him into a poor man's Rooney when his stats can take the hit from editing his size/weight ;)

8. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

this is kind of tricky IMO. I think moving forward and on the counter we were more dangerous when I was playing striker. I think i'm pretty good at putting pressure on defenders, timing runs and getting a lot of space behind them. Especially when I have the freedom to make diagonal runs toward the corner flags.

this in turn created a ton of space for Max and Del to cut over into the middle of the pitch.

this is kind of shown in all of the goals here ...

[youtube]rnGxYE7pGg0[/youtube]

even with del's thumper, i was pushing up the side of the field and created a ton of space for him to drift into the middle and fire a missile from 40 yards out.

i was able to do a bit of this on the wing, but we lost those criss-cross runs that lead to a lot of goals.

but, your guy is better in more of a set offense after we've moved the ball up the pitch. he's certainly more valuable on set pieces. and my guy was also pretty useless on goal kicks up the pitch (i'd get shoved around and out muscled by the defender).

the best of both worlds? might look something like this (and would take some coordination by Drifter and I to make work) ...

RAM - Max
    LAM - Del
    CAM - Bly
    ST - Drifter

Here's the tricky part:

- On goal kicks, set pieces, throw-ins and more established play, we play pretty straight up. You're the front man, i'd play in the whole behind you.

- In the attacking third you'd again move up to the front position and i'd move back to around the top of the box making back post and front post runs when available.

- When we're getting into more back and forth play we'd swap with you playing a bit off me and me occupying the front. This could be especially dangerous when I push up on those diagonal runs, since not only are Del or Max crossing over into the space, but you're now available on the back post for crosses as well, or just behind the in run near the top of the box.

9. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

4-4-2 anyone?

Of this variety

---X--X---
    X--------X
    ---X--X---
    X--------X
    ---X--X---

Red=Defense
    Blue=Mids
    Orange= Strikers

I know ive already thrown it out there before, but it really seems like it fits with our personnel. It would put Bly and Drifter up top in their preferred roles, Del and I could still stay on the wings in attacking-type roles, and it'd leave 2 Midfielder spots open for our defensive-minded players.

Just an idea anyway;) Our current formation works well just looking to get people in their preferred spots

I can see how the 2 center mids could get clogged up and out of position rather easily though.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I would put myself at RDM, but could also play on the back line if need-be. Face and I pretty much shut down the back middle in the couple games we got in last night.

11. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

I think our DM'S are so valuable to us they do a great job. Something I have noticed is when they break down an attack the opposition have moved their defence nearly to the half way line which leaves our front men fighting to stay onside however we could manipulate this as it leaves a huge gap between their defenders and box our guys arent slow so a lifted ball into that hole with a warning we could then run onto it with great results I am sure although I know the lob ball isn't easy to do this year. I also think maybe it would be good to have 2 formations we are comfortable with so we could switch to thus causing confusion for the opposition. I do think we are doing really well this year we went from 400 to 1100 points in bout a week.

Good job guys

ps. Drifter if you don't play me in soon il get a complex lmao.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, that isn't a bad idea Bly. I usually come back during our goal kicks anyway in order to jump and head the ball to Del or anyone else that might be there. I just need a dozen or so more goals from outside the box and my guy will also be really dangerous from a long ways out. My guy is good at 1v1 when he has position on the defender. Almost impossible to get around him. But he can't really split the defense with the effectiveness of the quicker guys like Del, Moon and yourself.

It's definitely worth a go.

13. BlyGilmore

IMO a lot of the formation stuff is just jargon that doesn't mean a lot. I mean our 4-3-3 didn't look a lot different than our 4-2-3-1 when we got on the pitch.

here's the different though. its subtle and a bit of a mind fuck, but it's why i like the 4-2-3-1.

With a lot of moving parts (tons of guys on the club, joining and leaving on the fly between matches) its obvious what your role is. and you don't need a five minute discussion every match going over who's doing what.

CDMs have that big D in the middle. If you get overextended you fucked up and need to fix it.

CAM is an attacking player, but he's not the striker so he needs to defer. ST is up front, by himself and can kind of dictate play to those behind him. Wing guys are self explanatory. Same for the defenders.

Instead look at the 4-4-2. Which striker is the target man? Even in a 4-4-2 one plays a bit off the other. the first four is pretty much all set. but the second four ... what do those CMs do? Which one attacks and which one holds? do they play even across the line? Or one in front of the other? And if you have them both play defensive roles you've got a hole to fill behind the strikers.

So what ends up happening? what we dealt with last year ... five guys forward, struggling to find space and kind of crammed in together while leaving us vulnerable to the counterattack.

Or ... we're moving along well and one CM takes a break, another steps in and we forget to go over assignments ... so coverage is blown on one play and its the difference in us winning and losing.

14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    HAHA I know! You and me both. I got +4 long passing, so hopefully that helps on the lobbed passes.

Del brought up a good point about the DMs looking down the touches for streaking wingers. Other teams do this to us a lot. Instead of dribbling it up the middle or kicking it out to the side backs to get to Del, it would be worth while to attempt that long pass 3-4 times a match. Like I told Del, if there is only one guy near him, I like my chances of tossing it up and having him beat that one guy.

15. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

Good point Bly n Drifter. For the lob to work the winger would call for it as they know when the time would be right, however this doesn't have to be restricted to the wings a good timed lob could create 3 on 2 for us down the middle even. We have a good mix of guys with height, strength and speed we can run riot I am sure. Also last night we saw times when we attacked up the top the defence then moved to that side leaving a huge gap on the other side and they knew what we were gonne do cos we always play the wing. At times we could switch the ball even when we have a guy wide then he can head for what will become the back post thus giving us acres of space as well as being unpredictable.. Just some thoughts.

16. BlyGilmore

btw one thing to try some time when we have the kickoff ... the other teams LOVE to press on the ball immediate.

if the wings bomb down the pitch i'm sure you can catch them off guard with a well placed pass over the top.

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

When I'm working on my VP in Player/Manager mode, I'll work on lobbed passes to the wings, as well as the middle. I don't do it a whole lot because honestly I don't have a feel for it yet. I would rather make the safe play at this point than risk a giveaway when we have numbers. It is something that I'll get better at moving forward.

18. MoonBBad

So where do you all see me fitting in with this team? I am not here to toot my own horn however, I feel I have done a pretty good job distributing the ball into space with quick one touch passes, lobs into the box, through balls, chipped through balls, etc... I really think my greatest strength in FIFA is my ability to read people's runs and get the ball away quickly to the open person. If that means CAM should be my roll, RAM, LAM, whatever, let me know. I will play wherever. I just want a position set and what my roll should be. That needs to come from the captains.

To be honest, the problem (at least in the games that I have been involved in) has been just that. Too many people holding the ball for too long. Distribution out of the back has been poor. In order for the attacking midfielders to be effective we need to get the ball up to them faster, and when they are making runs.

I can't tell you how many times last night I was making a run only to not get the pass and we turned the ball over. It's pretty frustrating.

What are your thoughts?

19. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i shortened my guy a bit and have been working on my dribbling and ball skills.. have progressed a bit today.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Do all of the long passing attributes (switch the play 10 times, 12 lobbed passes in a game, etc). You can do them all at once at LB. Just increase the length of the match in the settings. Easy points.

I think we all agree on the points you made. I think we will get better in this aspect when everyone's PROs start leveling up. Last night was a bit of a wash, but I felt like we moved the ball exceptionally well. Last night's play wasn't really indicative of how we had been playing.

I believe that your skill set really matches up well on the outside up front. You time your crosses well and do a good job of making runs and cutting in when you need to. A lot of the problems we have are just timing. When we play more together we will be able to get a better feel for when the runs start and where they are headed. Del and I played around 200 club games last year, so that timing (although it didn't really show last night) takes some work sometimes. Bly played a lot last year as well. We will mesh together as we continue to improve.

21. MoonBBad

I need to focus on my accomplishments. It's just been a time issue. I might just abandon my season and start a new one in player/manager mode, as I have just been doing player mode currently.

That won't restart any of the accomplishments I have already one correct?

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yeah it's not going to reset anything. But why restart? You can simply change your pro to whatever you want and he will automatically move around. Also, before you start the game, select "control all players". It will make it easier to get some of the acheivements.

I try to target and knock out two or three at a time. If you group them wisely, you can really boost your pro quickly.

23. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On