TFC PPV 1 - Recap/Summary (pg 1)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by NYJuggalo45, Jun 7, 2009.

1. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Feb 10, 2009
    TFC PPV 1 - Recap/Summary (pg 1)

Venue: Madison Square Garden
    Referee: Steve Mazzagati
    Deadline: Saturday 6/6/09 (at the latest, hopefully sooner)

Main Event #1
    Heavyweight Title Match (5 rounds)
    Andrei Arlovski (3-0-0, 2 KO / Sweetness) vs. Cheick Kongo (3-1-0, 3 KO / Hot Rod)
    Round 1
    Both fighters keeping their distance at the start on the fight. Kongo comes out trying to kick the Pitbull's legs and lands a couple shots. Arlovski comes out swinging hard landing only a couple shots. Both fighters are obviously tentative as they know what's on the line. The fighters continue to throw shots that don't land due to both men keeping their distance. Finally Kongo counter grapples one of Arlovski's punches and goes for the slam but the Pitbull counters into a full mount. Kongo is able to pull Arlovski down and then Arlovski goes for the armbar. Kongo is able to get out and both fighter are back to their feet. They continue to trade shots albeit weak ones. Kongo converts a slam into side control and gets into full mount but the round ends before he can mount much offense. Round 1 is over without either fighter taking too much damage.
    Round 2
    This round starts starts with Arlvoski being the aggressive fighter throwing left and right hooks. Kongo is expecting this and counter grapples the punch and quickly slams Arlovski into side control. He then gets into full mount where he stays in control landing body shots. He lands a shot that dazes the Pitbull but Arlvoski seems to be ok. Kongo lands one more body blow and suddenly referee Steve Mazzagatti stops the fight. The crowd is shocked, Kongo is shocked, and Arlovski is besides himself. It seems that the stoppage was premature
    Winner by TKO at 1:48 of Round 2 and NEW HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD
    Post fight interview
    Joe Rogan: Champ how do you feel about the stoppage?
    Kongo: [FRENCH ACCENT]I think ref stopped it a little too early. I do feel like I was going to end it at some point but Andrei did not look like he was in too much trouble. That part is disappointing because we're both great competitors and it's a shame the fight ended this way.[/FRENCH ACCENT]
    JR: You both seemed a little tentative out there, what was the deal with that?
    Kongo: [FRENCH ACCENT]We both know what each of us is capable of. Last time I dominated
    but got caught in the submission after being too aggressive and getting too gassed to work my way out. I knew this fight is 5 rounds so I could take my time and look for my opportunities.[/FRENCH ACCENT]
    JR: How does it feel to be the champ?
    Kongo: [FRENCH ACCENT]It feels great to be the first TFC HW Champion but you aren't really the champ until you successfully defend the belt. I hope France is proud of me. I'm coming home with the belt [/FRENCH ACCENT]

Main Event #2
    Light-Heavyweight Title Match (5 rounds)
    Wanderlei Silva (3-0-0, 2 KO / Coleman) vs. Lyoto Machida (3-1-0, 2 KO / Bahnzo)
    And we have a new LHW Champion.....Lyoto Machida
    Round 1 - Both fighters came out swinging, but Lyoto had the better of it with some vicious body blows, his striking game was on point tonight. Wanderlei did manage to get Lyoto in full mount, but Machida reversed it and was able avoid the dangerous Silva. Machida continued to pummel Wanderlei with quick strikes, and the the round ended with Machida the winner of round 1.
    Round 2 - Machida again came out swinging, throwing fists at Wanderlei. Silva then took Machida down, but Lyoto was able to gain rubber guard. From rubber guard, Machida attempted the submission....sunk in the triangle choke....and Wanderlei was forced to tap
    Winner: Lyoto Machida at 2:09 of Round 2 by submission via a triangle choke. Submission of the night perhaps?

Main Event #3
    Middleweight Title Match (5 rounds)
    Dan Henderson (3-0-0, 3 KO / Eagles) vs. Thales Leites (3-1-0, 3 KO / Bahnzo)
    Forca Com a Dor has it's second TFC champ...Thales Leites
    Dan Henderson was no match for the well rounded skills of the Brazilian as he first punished Hendo with his fists, and then forced him to tap with a kneebar.
    Winner by submission at 4:54 of Round 1 via a kneebar, Thales Leites

Main Event #4
    Welterweight Title Match (5 rounds)
    Georges St. Pierre (3-0-0, 2 KO / NYJuggs) vs. Thiago Alves (3-1-0, 2 KO / Blaza)
    In TFC Ignition's 3rd Title Fight of the night, George St-Pierre and Thiago Alves continued their rivalry in exciting fashion. After mowing through the pre-season tournament, the two Welterweights fought to an exhausting 3 Round Final Match that saw GSP come away with the unanimous decision.
    Round 1 saw both men pepper shots from the outside without getting too close. GSP had 2 very nice takedowns and spent most of the round on top of Alves raining knees from sidemount. Just before the final bell, GSP transitioned into a beautiful arm-bar that was fought off at the last moment.
    Round 2 saw the tide turn slightly, with Alves landing some heavy knees and elbows inside. He was able to drop some shots to GSP's face from the up guard position. Alves did slightly more damage this round
    In Round 3, both men turned up the heat slightly landing big kicks to the head and body. Midway through the 3rd, GSP went in for a takedown that was foiled by Alves. As the two battled for position, Alves dropped into a smooth Guillotine choke and sunk it in tight as he controlled GSP's body with a closed guard. The choke was too much for GSP as he tapped at 3:46 of round 3. The winner and NEW Welterweight champion of the World. Thiago Alves.
    Alves, had a quick word with Joe Rogan in the ring after the fight.
    Joe Rogan - ...somebody pass that blunt....Oh, Uh sorry, are we live? Thiago, GSP beat your ass your first bout, what was different this time around?
    Thiago Alves - After our first fiiigh, I go home, I train, I practice my stwiking and my Jiu-Jitsu wit my coaaches. We wok really hahd to be heer.
    Joe Rogan - Well you're the champ now, whats next for you in the UFC?
    Thiago Alves - Joe, I jus fiiiigh whoever my managers put in front of me. I don't think I can be beat when I wok hahd in de geem. I just gonna go back home to Miami and have sex with a few weemen and enjoy this veectory
    Joe Rogan - Thanks Thiago. Congratulations

Main Event #5
    Lightweight Title Match (5 rounds)
    Sean Sherk (3-0-0, 3 KO / Hot Rod) vs. Roger Huerta (2-0-0, 2 KO / Marcman)

Round 1
    Huerta comes out attacking and gets in some shots as Sherk is a little slow in his attack. Sherk gets a hold of Huerta and goes for the slam but Huerta is ready and lands on top of Sherk in the mount. Huerta is trying to end the fight early as he throws a flurry of punches but Sherk is able to block all of the punches and reverses Huerta to get into offensive position. The Muscle Shark works his way into full mount and lands a few shots but Huerta is resilient and gets back into open guard. Sherk pushes Huerta off and both fighters are back on their feet. El Matador continues to be aggressive with his attack and Sherk's see an opportunity for a takedown. Huerta gets out without taking much damage. Back on their feet again, both men continue to go at each other, this time Sherk landing the punches. Huerta fights back and now both men are giving it to each other. This is an absolute battle Sherk scores another takedown. He works his way into full mount once again, but Huerta is proving to be a tough finish. The round ends with Sherk unable to end the fight. Both men have visible cuts on their cheeks.
    Round 2
    Round 2 begins like round 1 as both men are trading blows again. Sherk grabs Huerta and scores a pick up slam. He works his way back into full mount for the third time. This time he starts to land solid shots to the head and body. A hammerfist stuns Huerta. El matador tries to grab Sherk's punch but a roundhouse gets through and knocks Huerta out cold This one is over
    Winner by Ground and Pound KO at 2:08 of Round 2 AND NEW LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD
    Sherk joins fellow HotRod coached fighter Cheick Kongo as a TFC Champion. Coach HotRod looks to be one of the top fight coaches in the TFC.
  2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Feb 10, 2009
    Page 2

Rest of the Card

Brock Lesnar (2-1-0, 2 KO / Graves) vs. Tim Sylvia (1-1-0, 1 KO / Marcman)

Grey Maynard (2-0-0, 1 KO / NYJuggs) vs. BJ Penn (1-1-0, 1 KO / Steel)
    Big matchup for the #1 contender for the soon to be decided Lightweight title.
    1st round - Both guys were very cautious to start out early. Maynard really isn't a striker at all so after a few attempted punches and clinches decided to take it to the ground. Penn reversed a few times and had a few sub attempts. Big moment with about 30 secs to go in the round. Maynard works to mount and reigns down blows on Penn who gets hurt (gray screen) but BJ pulls him in and the round ends with Penn rocked. 10-9 Maynard, maybe 10-8
    2nd round - More standup than the 1st round. Maynard might have landed a few more shots but again, he can't strike so the shots Penn landed def did more damage. Gray gets him in the clinch and takes him down. Immediately gets a big slam up against the cage and throws a huge right hook that kills BJ Penn. His head bounced off the back of the cage, mouthpiece went flying and he was out cold...most likely on his way to the morge from the angle his neck snapped.
    Winner by KO, Gray Maynard - 2:41 in the 2nd

Rich Franklin (1-1-0, 1 KO / Shaun) vs. Demain Maia (0-1-0 / Pryor)

Karo Parisyan (1-1-0, 1 KO / Ryno) vs. Josh Koschek (0-1-0 / Pryor)
    Match started off with each man trying to land punches to the head. Was even for about the first minute and a half until Koscheck started landing blows to the head. Parisyan with about a 15 seconds left in Round 1 stunbled backwards ( gray screen) and fell to the canvas. But round ended before Koscheck good land any blows to end it. Round 2 started off with Koscheck maintaing his offensive strategy. Landing kicks and upper cuts to the head. After being on the ground Koscheck finally forced his way up and soon as they both stood Koscheck landed a nasty left hook to the head and down went Parisyan for the knockout.
    Conclusion: KO at 2:18 of Round 2
    Winner- Josh Koscheck

Joe Lauzon (1-1-0, 1 KO / Bondzai) vs. Kenny Florian (1-2-0, 1 KO / Bogey)
    This match wasn't that close. Florian was hitting Lauzon with some pretty nasty kicks to the face. Lauzon was doing a good job of escaping holds while on the ground but then Florian threw on an ankle lock that had J-Lau tapping.
    Ken - Flow saw that he was ranked 6th while his only losses were to #1 ranked Sherk and was not happy, he took it out on Lauzon's head and nearly ripped his ankle off 4:23 into round

Kimbo Slice (0-0-0 / Bogey) vs. Gabriel Gonzaga (0-0-0 / Twrecks)
    Fight started out with a little feeling out process.
    Gonzaga grabbed the clinch landed some good knees and pulled Kimbo into guard, didnt want to stand with Kimbo that much. Rubber guard into full mount sweep, landed a couple of strikes and Kimbo rolled and stood up.
    Cpl of more punches on the feet my nose busted up a bit pulled Kimbo intop guard, got the full mout sweep, and pounded out the KO from full Mount
    Gonzaga def Kimbo 3:26 in the first round

Deron Laboon (0-0-0 / Sweetness) vs. Shogun Rua (0-0-0 / BBJ)
    1st Round-
    The fight started off evenly, both men landing a high kick, mid kick, high kick, left right. But when Rua came up Laboon hit Rua with a pretty Left hook and send Rua to the ground in which everyone thought it was over but he got right back up. Then Laboon gets in his famous clinch and pounds knees into Shogun's body then 2 to the face. He releases then connects with a high kick. Back and forth they go again. When Shogun takes down Laboon, Laboon uses his great judo techniques and flips Shogun over into a side mount. After a few elbows The Headhunter hops into full mount and lands 2 punches and good night Irene.
    WINNER BY KNOCKOUT- Deren The Headhunter Laboon
    Post Match Review
    How did you feel coming into this match Laboon?
    [SAMOAN ACCENT] I felt little scared bra, but knew I win this match.[/SAMOAN ACCENT]
    What was your main game plain in this fight?
    [SAMOAN ACCENT]I trained my kicks to head bra , seemed to work well. Ground n' Pund helped very much kuz. I actually thought this fight would go tree rounds yu no bra?[/SAMOAN ACCENT]
    What is coming for you next Deren?
    [SAMOAN ACCENT]I wantz Machida cuz, he better be scared.[/SAMOAN ACCENT]

Nate Marquart (0-0-0 / Cribbs) vs. Ben James (0-0-0 / BBJ)
    Match starts off with a feeling out process of sorts, few punches here and there. Ben takes down Nate, not for long though as Nate kicks him off. THey start going back at it. Nate clinches Ben and takes him down into a half open guard, and proceeds to move into mount position. Once on top it's ground and pound time. Ben took more than one would think....guy must have a tough chin.
    Winner by TKO at 2:34 in RD 1 - Nate The Great Marquart

Chupa Cabra (0-1-0 / Ryno) vs. Keith Jardine (0-0-0 / Twrecks)
    Fight started out with a little stnadup but Jardine quickly went for a takedown slam into side control and then Mount. After landing a couple of blows Cabra utilized his Judo skills and flipped Jardine backwards on his ass.
    Stand back up and some exhanges Jardine grabs the clinch to go for anotehr takedown and Cabra judo throws his lights out and Jardine went for a ride.
    Cabra was connecting with vicious kicks I thought for sure Jardine was gonna get caught, I was desperate to get the fight to the ground. Round Ends
    2nd round always makes me wary that is war the Kos happe one mistake and it is lights out. Jardine gets takedown mounts and Ko's Cabra for the victory at 3:58 of round 2.Good fight Ryno. I was expecting the worst everytime one of those kicks landed lol

Cain Velasquez (0-1-0 / JMS) vs. Heath Herring (cpu-advanced difficulty)
    Velasquez lost, no recap

Mirko Cro Cop (0-1-0 / Big Hoff) vs Justin McCaully (cpu-advanced difficulty)

After a devastating loss to Brock Lesnar in his first TFC event Mirko put together a tremendous camp for the McCully fight. Putting in the extra time Mirko wanted to show the people what he was capable of. In what was dubbed a Must Win fight for him Mirko pulled out all the stops.
    1st RD, The match started out with both fighters feeling out each other and finding their range. Mirko was able to land some vicious punches mixed in with a few rocking head kicks. McCully was able to absorb quite an ammount of punishment his only defense was trying to take Mirko down, which he did a few times but was unsuccessful in keeping Cro Cop down for more then a few seconds. The first round ended with Cro Cop landing a superman punch opening a nasty cut under McCully's right eye.
    2nd RD, Mirko smelled blood in the water and went right after McCully from the start of the round landing numerous combs and defending McCully's take down attempts. Mirko was able to land a 4 strike combo ending it with a superman punch knocking McCully out cold.
    Mirko wins by KO 2:42 into round 2.

Rampage Jackson (0-1-0 / Bruce) vs. Stephan Bonner (cpu-advanced difficulty)
  3. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

Mar 1, 2009
    well done once again!