TFS Podcast - Discussion

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by RedAL925, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Some of the other leagues at this site have created a podcast specific to their league. I'm trying to get an idea of how much interest there would be in creating one for the TFS. Would you listen? Would you want to be involved in the content? Would you help create/broadcast the podcast itself? Would you ignore it completely?

My initial though was to create a 30-ish minute podcast twice every season: (1) during the offseason, including postseason recap and preseason preview, and (2) another midseason to discuss the happenings of the current season. As for who would be on the podcast, that's up for debate. I'd like one from each Serie, but we could do a free-for-all roundtable, or have 2-3 "hosts" who do it all the time.

Of course it's all moot if no one is interested, so please respond here with any ideas, input, criticism you have...and be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. RedAL925

...and in case you are wondering, this is NOT the BIG PLANS we have for FIFA 14 ;)

3. Go Devils

Go Devils Agnostic Pastafarian

Interesting idea fellas. I'm more than happy to lend a hand in answering any start-up questions if you guys are serious about doing this. I've produced a podcast for the past 2 years. It is a TON of work, and if you want it to sound good you need to invest in quality mics and headphones. Good news is there is free software like Audacity, Skype, and Call Graph that record all your audio and compile it for upload. I know you work in the industry RedAL925 so you know this stuff better than most. My question is, is all the work worth it for 30-40 listeners? That's not a belittling question by any means, but just a heads up on the amount of work for the finished product.

I know there are a couple of Madden ones on there based on leagues. But the quality was so bad I was done with them after about 30 seconds.

Fast forward to the pros. You listen to fantastically produced ones like Men in Blazers as opposed to the Italian Football Fancast and you see what I mean.

Again... if you decide to go forward with this I would love to help kickstart it with any technical help and directions to turn. But as I always bitch about... I barely have enough time for what I do. But I would listen for sure. Just to hear you folks pronounce some of these player names and clubs :)

PS - are we voting on this poll?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  4. RedAL925

That's a fair point. I wouldn't expect ours to be the cream of the crop, but I'd also prefer it didn't sound like a tape cassette recording. Is there some sort of middle ground that we could find to that end? How long would a 30-minute podcast take to put together, outside the 30 minutes of people talking?

As you alluded to, I lost interest very quickly in the Madden one I listedned to. It was also an hour long, which I think is excessive for people discussing a video game (so naturally our first try will be an hour long). But I'm ok with a limited audience as long as it's not a hassle to create.

And I eat pronunciations for breakfast.

5. Go Devils

"And I eat pronunciations for breakfast." I get crushed on our show with all the Polynesian names.

Audacity is the way to go. That and NOT using headset/mic combos. Those things are echoey and terrible. Blue snowball is under a hundo and fantastic. Audacity is just drag and drop and as long as there aren't a bunch of drops or samples it is pretty simple. Anyone with any audio experience would be a whiz at it.

6. RedAL925

What about Skype, google hangout, etc? Is that going to take a big quality hit?

I'm just thinking as far as if we want different people to participate every time, it'd be easier to use something like that instead of everyone having to download the same software, get mics, etc.

7. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Would def listen for sure.
    I listen to several soccer pods already!

Nice idea

8. Go Devils

You can do all of that. Audacity records each imput to a mp3 for the ability to tweak it. When I said skype, I meant that generally. We use skype for our show to all meet up, make outgoing calls to guests that don't have it, etc. Call graph just collects the audio from skype into one file. Think similar to say gotomeeting conference call recording. I am not smart enough to directly record it into Audacity so I have to use a 3rd party program like call graph. Audacity then allows you to edit and exports the finished product into a mp3. From there you just need a storage site and setup an RSS feed.

For the record I would listen to this show. I have tons of travel time to listen to podcasts. Just only have time for work, wife, my podcast, and this league. Trust me.. my dog and cats are pissed at me on a weekly basis :)

9. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

Would listen!

10. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I would listen for sure. It would be cool to listen to hear other members opinions on a number of topics as it relates to TFL.

11. RedAL925

Hmm, looks like I need to do more research

12. RedAL925

I'm thinking Skype is the way to go. So in theory, I would open Skype AND open Audacity, and let it record the skype conversation?

13. Go Devils

and if you can't get Audacity to straight record you could use call graph. Yessir

14. RedAL925

I changed my mind, didn't know you have to pay to do group calls on Skype

15. Go Devils

You have to pay for phone calls on skype. But if everyone has it you are golden to do it for free.

16. dooz

dooz Walk On

I would definitely listen! I'm not sure if I could be any help technically, but if you need someone to weigh in on topics, I'd give it a go.

17. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

^what he said.

18. RedAL925

So we could have 4 people get together and discuss for free?

19. dooz

dooz Walk On

Yeah, as long as all 4 are using skype, as opposed to land-lines/mobile phones

20. Go Devils

The only downside of skype is it tends to cut off one person when two people are talking at the same time. I don't run into it a lot in my interview as I try to make it a habit of not interrupting. But with all the blowhards on here you never know :)

21. RedAL925

So what's the equivalent alternative?

22. Go Devils

I bet you could do the same on google

• Like Like x 1
  23. RedAL925

So technical issues aside, who wants to be on the podcast?

24. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

yeah, I would like to be on it :)

25. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

I'm on Skype . I would be on it if its really necessary ! You will have to deal with my accent though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.