The 12th Man - 2009 Texas A&M Aggies

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Dru50, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

The 12th Man - 2009 Texas A&M Aggies

Aggies freshman RB Michael has big game vs New Mexico, A&M wins 45-14

The Aggies opened the season with a good home win vs New Mexico, led by their freshman RB Christine Michael, who started his college career with 150 yards and 3 TD's. He won the job in camp due to his ability to run with power between the tackles, and demonstrated that in this game, with 26 carries. The passing game was little used (only 17 attempts) and fairly effective (10 completions, 1 TD no INT's). QB Johnson would have had a better game but he wasn't helped by his receivers, as 4 catchable passes were dropped in the game.

The defense struggled on the first two Lobo drives, but then turned it around, preventing any scores after the 1st quarter.

2. Dru50

QB Johnson has huge day as A&M rolls 49-3 over Utah St

Utah St was overmatched from the get-go, and the Aggies knew it. The game plan was conservative, with a ton of runs (48 carries total). The running game was solid if not spectacular, gaining 247 yards for nearly a 5 yard per carry average. The defense was good, but again failed to get many turnovers. The player of the game was Johnson, the junior QB, who took advantage several times of the Utah St defense bringing their safeties up to stop the run. Johnson only threw 14 pass, with 11 being complete for 5 TD's.

The second half was pretty much a chewing clock exercise, with the backups in for all but one drive and only one pass play was called in the half.

3. Dru50

A&M moves to 3-0 with a victory over UAB 49-17

This game wasn't in doubt after the 2nd A&M drive, which was also the 2nd A&M TD. UAB scored on it's first drive, but after that the Aggie defense stiffened and prevented any other drives past the 50 until garbage time.

The Aggie running game was again solid but unspectacular, logging 41 carries for 177 yards and 4 TD's, split between the two starting HB's Michael and Gray. In the passing game, Jerrod Johnson had another quietly efficient game, taking advantage of the big plays that were there, going 10-16 for 230 yards and 3 TD's. He threw his first INT of the season on a hail mary to end the first half.

On the defensive side, junior DE Von Miller had his first sack of the season, then he got 2 more to finish with 3 on the day. The A&M defense again was able to shut down an inferior opponent, but the coaching staff is still concerned with the lack of big plays from the group.

Next up - A match with SEC foe Kentucky.

4. Dru50

HB Michael leads Aggies to victory over SEC foe Kentucky 27-11

This was actually sort of a boring game, as neither team was able to consistently pass the ball, which meant a lot of early punts. A&M was lead by freshman HB Michael again, who carried the ball 33 times for 185+ yards and 3 TD's, most of which were hard earned yards between the tackles. The Aggies were unable to blow the game open anymore than this, mainly due to dropped passes. Coach Dru vented his frustration on the topic in the post game press conference, promising changes to the WR depth chart if this doesn't improve. There were 5 dropped passes in this game, all of which were on wide open catchable balls. This number is extremely disturbing, since Texas A&M isn't even passing very often (less than 20 attempts). I could be wrong, but I think I've had at least 4 drops each game this year.

5. Dru50

A&M sees where they stand, getting trounced by Oklahoma State 44-17

This game was one part being outclassed talent wise by a better team and two parts horrible coaching and play by me. I was in the game in the first half, down 13-10 with the ball inside the 20 with less than 1 minute to play, and for some reason I decided to get aggressive and throw the ball. Par for the course with this A&M team, the ball was dropped by my #1 WR, tipped in the air and picked for a TD going the other way. Suddenly I'm down 20-10 going into the half.

I got the ball first in the half, and was able to methodically move the ball down the field for a TD. Oklahoma State got the ball back and moved it effortlessly down the field for another TD to push the lead back to 10, and then the wheels fell completely off. A 3 and out, a turnover and another failed drive later and I go down 44-17.

I have to completely readjust how I'm going to play with this Aggie team. They have NO speed on offense, no real playmakers and their WR's drop 4-5 passes a game. Normally I like to control the ball with the short to intermediate passing game, and I was able to run the ball against inferior competition, but this game the run was working and I just got away from it for some reason. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that I played games with my Houston and Texas teams in other dynasties right before this one, and they both have very high powered offenses, so maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind for a conservative game.

In any case, this was a sobering reality check for the Aggies and by far the worst game I've played in NCAA 2010.

6. Dru50

A&M goes old school and gets back on track, winning 45-3

After the debacle of the Oklahoma State game (which likely cost the Aggies a shot at the #1 MLB recruit, who was visiting for the game), coach Dru told the media, 'I personally burned the film of that game, because we are never running that offense again. We have decided to scale things back, back to the 1980's. I have hired Tom Osborne's illegitimate son, who has spent the last 15 years drawing option play diagrams in Nebraska cornfields, to come in and implement a run heavy offense. If our WR's don't feel like catching the ball, they better get used to blocking, because they'll be doing a lot of it.'

The newly installed triple option offense worked to perfection in the first go round. Texas A&M ran 66 times for 432 yards (led by 100 yard efforst by HB Michael, HB Gray and QB Johnson and 80 yards rushing from the FB position) and controlled the clock for nearly 21 minutes. Only 4 passes were thrown by Johnson, all of which were catchable, and 3 of which were dropped. 2 of the drops were by the Aggies 'star' receiver. Coach Dru mentioned something about stapling the WR corp to the stadium wall and firing balls at the groin with the jugs machine, thinking that might motivate them to actually catch a pass.

I'm not sure I like my chances against Texas and OU using this offense, but I've realized that I have to do my best to keep the game low scoring and control the clock if I want to have a chance to win against the top teams.

At this point, if I can get 1 of the two games vs Texas and OU and 1 of the two games vs TTU and user rival Colorado, that would be a 3 loss season, which I'd call a success in year one.

7. Dru50

Aggies take show on the road, winning in Lubbock 35-13

Entering the rough portion of their schedule, Texas A&M visited Texas A&M and came away with a fairly dominant win 35-13. For the second game in a row, the new run heavy attack on offense was able to grind out long drives and dominate the time of possession (20+ minutes to less than 8 minutes for TTU). The running game was paced by freshman HB Michael, who had 130 yards and 2 TD's. The option game was less effective this week but was used as a change up, as Michael combined with Jerrod Johnson and the other stable of HB's and FB's for nearly 60 carries and 290 yards on the ground.

The passing game started out slowly again. The first pass was a TD on the opening drive to the FB wide open out of the backfield (from the shotgun two back set) on 3rd and 8. The second pass was dropped by the teams #1 WR (yet again). Coach Dru then told his team, 'don't worry about what happens after you catch the ball, just catch the ******* ball!'. This seemed to work as there were no further drops in the game. Johnson only threw 11 passes, but he completed 9 of them for nearly 200 yards and 3 scores, including a beatiful play action bomb for a 60 yard TD that sealed the win.

8. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

Looks like the change of playbooks is treating you well. 20 minutes is a pretty solid time of possession.

9. Dru50

Yeah, it's working out well so far. I'm just adjusting to accepting 2-3 yard gains as a positive play, which is a stretch for me since I usually prefer passing the ball.

I'll be interested to see if I can run this offense effectively against Colorado and the Big 12 big boys (Texas and Oklahoma).

10. Dru50

Aggies move into top 25, get 7th win beating Iowa St 49-3

The new option offense installed by Coach Dru was effective again, although again vs an overmatched opponent. Iowa State never was in the game, and A&M rolled to nearly 400 yards rushing and held Iowa State to less than 250 yards and 1-10 on 3rd downs.

A&M was led again by freshman HB Michael, who ran for 181 yards on 28 carries with 3 TD's. Sophomore HB Gray added 125 yards on 10 carries and QB J. Johnson had 65 yards and 2 TD's, including a 50 yard TD option keeper that sealed the win. Michael also went over the 1,000 yard mark on the season with this game and has 1,107 yards and 16 TD's on the year.

The passing game was nothing to write home about, with Johnson going 5-11 for 63 yards and an INT. The defense was stout and also forced 3 turnovers. The team got the first return TD of the season, with Gray going 82 yards on a nice return in the 4th.

This was a big win, with most of the A&M recruits in attendance.

Next up - The conference clash with Coach Dakota's Colorado Buffaloes.

11. Dru50

Aggies get big road win vs Colorado 31-14

This game was far closer than the final score. The difference in the game was in the first quarter, Colorado marched down the field on the opening drive but A&M held on 3rd and goal at the 1, and the Buffaloes missed the chippie field goal. A&M then took the ensuing drive and scored a TD. After a punt, the Aggies were able to get a second TD and then a FG to build a 17-0 lead. After that, the game turned into a real dogfight. Colorado really shut down the Aggie option game and was able to effectively move the ball on offense and the teams exchanged two TD's the rest of the way. The opening missed FG and two 2nd half INT's really cost the Buffs in this game.

The Aggies stuck to the game plan and ran the ball as much as possible, led by freshman HB Christine Michael, who had 20 carries for 144 yards and 4 TD's. QB J. Johnson added 38 yards on 12 carries and completed 5 of 7 passes for 141 yards. The defense was led by DE M. Moss, who recorded two sacks.

After 10 weeks, Michael is leading the NCAA in yards (1,251) and TD's (20) and would likely be in consideration for the Heisman if not for him being a true freshman.

Up next - The Aggies go on the road to face #8 Oklahoma in a huge test for the new Aggie running offense.

12. Dru50

Aggies shock #8 Oklahoma 28-25
    On a snowy day in Norman, Texas A&M came to town and ruined the Oklahoma national title dreams for 2009. Coach Dru came into the game wanting to run the ball, run the ball and run the ball some more, all in an effort to shorten the game and keep Sam Bradford and the Oklahoma offense off the field. The Aggie defense got an unexpected stop on the first drive, but the A&M running game gained only 2 yards on it's first two carries, and QB J. Johnson made a bad read and threw the ball late over the middle leading to a pick. Bradford led Oklahoma down the field quickly, but the Aggie defense stiffened inside the 10 yard line and only gave up a field goal. These would be the only two drives that Oklahoma wouldn't get TD's on the rest of the night, but the two stops were enough.

The A&M offense then starting working away at the Oklahoma defense, getting short yards on most carries, and Johnson converted several 3rd downs in the passing game. The half ended with A&M up 14-10, and following another TD to open the second half, A&M opened up a 2 score cushion, which would be the difference in the game.

The 4th quarter was all freshman RB Christine Michael and the Aggie offensive line. Coach Dru pulled the group aside during the break and told them, 'if you guys open some holes and Michael, if you break some tackles and hold onto the ball, we are winning this game.' That's exactly what happened, as A&M opened the quarter with a long TD drive that ate away 3 minutes. Oklahoma quickly scored to get the game to 28-25. The Sooners elected to kick off instead of trying for an onside with 3 minutes to play, and that decision would cost them. On a combination of stretch, off-tackle and dive plays, the A&M offensive line began to dominate the Oklahoma defense, which finally seemed to have tired out. Michael got 5-7 yards a pop on the drive, and the Aggies ran out the remaining clock in the quarter to take home the win.

13. Dru50

Aggies run by rival Baylor 45-27

This was a pretty clean game with two pretty evenly matched teams. Baylor was led their all-everything QB Griffin who threw for 183 yards and ran for 50 more. The difference in the game was a late first half TD by the Aggies, and an INT by the Aggie defense in the second half.

The revamped Texas A&M offense continued to churn out the rushing yards, and played a turnover free game. Jerrod Johnson went 6-8 for 89 yards and a TD, but the team was again led by freshman sensation C. Michael, who carried the rock 25 times for 156 yards and 3 TD's.

Up next - A huge game vs rival Texas. Texas, Oklahoma State and A&M are all tied with one conference loss. An A&M win and a loss by Oklahoma State to their rival Oklahoma would give the Aggies a berth in the Big 12 title game.

14. Dru50

Texas A&M whallops the Longhorns 35-7

The Aggies came out ready to show the world that the Longhorns weren't the only power in Texas these days, and boy did they. From the opening gun, this game was dominated by A&M, mainly in the trenches. Coach Dru came into this season and this game preaching that you win football with line play, and his team listened. The Aggie offense racked up 282 yards and 4 TD's on 57 carries, controlling the ball for over 22 minutes. Jerrod Johnson was efficient on limited attempts, going 5-7 for 101 yards and a TD. The running game was paced by Michael again, with the freshman carrying the ball 33 times for 164 yards and 3 scores.

The A&M defense played their finest game of the season, holding Colt McCoy and the Longhorn offense to 161 yards and 6 first downs. In the most surprising move of the game, the Texas coaches only called 12 pass plays all game, even though they were behind the final 3 quarters by more than one score. The Aggie defense was up to the challenge, holding the Horns to less than 3 yards per carry on their 18 attempts.

Up next - The Aggies await to see if they get a shot at the Big 12 title, and will eagerly watch the scoreboard and root for the Sooners.

Side note - Wow. Wow. Wow. This was the most shocking CPU game I think I've ever played. It was like the CPU F-U game in reverse.

15. Dru50

Texas A&M 2010 preseason outlook

Offense - The Aggies return their top weapons for 2010, including QB J. Johnson, HB's C. Michael and C. Gray and WR J. Fuller. They also will begin to mesh in the 3 freshman WR's who redshirted in 2009, including speedster R. Swope, who starts the year as the #3 WR. The coaching staff hopes to open up the offense from the conservative ball control attack that led to a 1 loss season and Orange Bowl victory in 2009. They will however maintain some of the triple option looks that were effective last season.

Defense - Senior DE Von Miller leads the A&M defense into 2010, hoping to improve on the average results from last year. The defense played well at key times, but gave up more yards and points than they'd like and big plays were missing in many games. With the Aggie offense looking to pass the ball more, the defense won't be aided by as many long drives keeping the opposing offense off the field.

Key freshman - Most of the teams #6 rated recruiting class from 2009 will redshirt this year, but the team will have two starting freshman, both on offense. Lionel Roberts beat out sophomore Huston Prioleau for the starting TE spot and 5 star recruit Will Gore won the RT spot.

Overall - The team is still fairly young, with only 11 seniors on the roster. The coaches would like to build on the success of last year and shoot for a Big 12 title.

16. Dru50

Texas A&M opens season with huge road win vs Notre Dame, 42-28

The Aggie coaches were hoping that 2010 would be the year that the offense opens up and is able to generate more big plays in the passing game. For one half it worked. The Aggies also received a scare when All-American HB C. Michael was injured for the game on the opening drive after gaining 31 yards on 6 carries. Thankfully the injury would only cost him this game and backup junior RB C. Gray was able to carry the load, gaining 99 yards on 19 carries with TD.

Senior QB J. Johnson played well in the first half, hitting junior WR J. Fuller for 3 TD passes. The Aggies went into halftime with a 21-14 lead, and were receiving the ball. Things were looking good, until J. Johnson threw 3 second half INT's, including one that was returned for a TD that tied up the game. Johnson got things back on track in the 4th quarter, mainly due to the coaches calling many more runs than throws. A&M scored the final 2 TD's of the game and took home the win.

The Aggie defense was solid if unspectacular, but the coaches were disturbed by the lack of pressure from the front 4. If the 4-3 defense is to be successful, the pass rush must largely come from the line, which didn't happen much last year or in this game. Due to this, after the game, Coach Dru announced his team would move to a 3-3-5 defense, hoping that getting more speed on the field will help the pass rush.

Player of the Game - WR J. Fuller - 5 catches, 64 yards, 3 TD's

Up Next - A matchup with 2009 Pac 10 champ Stanford

17. Dru50

A&M spoils Stanford's visit to College Station, winning 30-24

In an extremely competitive game, J. Johnson was able to shake the inconsistent performance of the prior game (mostly) and lead his team to a big win against the defending Pac 10 champion Stanford Cardinal. The teams played an even game, with the game being largely decided by turnovers, with Stanford QB A. Luck throwing 3 picks to J. Johnson's 2 INT's. The Stanford 4-2-5 held C. Michael in check all game until a 50 yard scamper in the 4th quarter which helped seal the game for the Aggies. However, the All American has yet to get a 100 yard game in 2010.

The coaches were still concerned about the defense, which allowed Stanford HB J. Stewart to gain 107 yards on only 17 attempts. The pass defense was improved however, getting 3 picks and 3 sacks.

Player of the Game - J. Johnson, 16-24, 274 yards, 3 TD's, 2 INT's

Up Next - Another tough matchup, as the Aggies travel to Kinnick Stadium to face 2009 Big 10 champion Iowa.

18. Dru50

Aggies go on the road, defeating #1 Iowa 31-14

This game was played in a downpour, and the opening drive made it seem as though the pink locker room had gotten to A&M. Iowa came out on the opening possession and did whatever they wanted on offense, mixing runs and passes for an easy TD drive. A&M came out wanting to answer, but was confounded when Iowa opened in a 4-4 defensive look. To answer this, the Aggie coaching staff went 4-5 wide for the drive, and connected on a couple passes before the drive stalled, leading to a punt. Thankfully, the Aggie defense got their composure and got the ball back to the offense. Coach Dru then decided that his team was going to run the ball, 4-4 defense be damned. His offensive line heeded the call, and began blowing open holes for C. Michael and company, which summarily blew open the game. A&M would score the next 24 points in the game, taking a 24-7 lead to halftime.

Iowa was plagued by turnovers, throwing 4 INT's for the game to 1 by J. Johnson. The second half was more of the same, with A&M running the ball, and only throwing occasionally.

The Aggies ran for 257 yards and 4 TD's on 50 carries. J. Johnson connected on 8-13 passes for 157 yards. C. Michael led the running game with 31 carries for 168 yards and 2 scores.

Player of the game (offense) - The offensive line, their blocking paved the way for the win.

Player of the game (defense) - Senior CB C. Judie, with 2 INT's including one inside the 10 yard line when Iowa was threatening to close the defecit in the second half.

Up next - A bye week before Big 12 play begins.

Player

19. Dru50

Aggies trounce rival Texas Tech, 49-10
    The run balanced offense made a big comeback to open Big 12 play. The team ran for 310 yards and 4 TD's on 60 carries and controlled the ball for 20 of the 28 minutes.

The offense was led by C. Michael, who carried the ball 36 times for 182 yards and 3 scores. J. Johnson was 6-8 for 97 yards and a TD (and an INT on a tipped ball - again). Jeff Fuller caught 3 passes for 74 yards.

The defense held the Red Raiders to 0 third down conversions and no TD's until garbage time. They also recorded 3 sacks and an INT.

Player of the Game - who else, Mr. Michael.

Up Next - a visit to Lawrence to face the Kansas Jayhawks.

20. Dru50

J. Johnson leads miracle drive to win at Kansas 30-27

In a game where the stats are entirely deceiving, the A&M undefeated season nearly ended at Kansas. From the get go, it was obvious that the Jayhawk defensive line came ready to play, routinely knifing through the Aggie offensive line to dump C. Michael for 2 yard or less gains early. At one point early, A&M found themselves down 14-3 in the second quarter. The team didn't panic, and continued to run the ball and try and control the clock.

The hero of the game however was senior QB J. Johnson, who had his finest game in Coach Dru's tenure. He led the team on 2 TD drives in the final 3 minutes of the first half to pull the team ahead 17-14 at half. The second half was going well, with A&M churning out a long drive to take a late lead in the 4th 27-23 with less than 2 minutes to play.

Kansas then thought they had their miracle, returning the ensuing kickoff 100 yards for a TD and the lead with 1:30 to play.

Ryan Swope for the Aggies took the ensuing kickoff and busted through the middle of the wedge for an apparent TD of his own, only to have a holding call move the ball all the way back to the 29 of A&M. J. Johnson then came out, and accompanied by junior WR Jeff Fuller, led a TD drive all the way down the field, scoring the winning TD with 8 seconds to play.

Player of the game (tie) - J. Johnson 12-20, 186 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 36 rushing yards; J. Fuller 8 catches, 128 yards, 2 TD, C. Williams 4 sacks

Up next - A home date with Missouri, with 9 recruits visiting.

21. Dru50

Aggies win shootout vs Missouri 45-28

This game was tight until the mid 3rd quarter, when the A&M defense finally made some stops and the A&M running game took over. The player of the game for A&M was QB Jerrod Johnson, who went 11-13 passing for 188 yards and a TD and added 67 yards and a TD on the ground. C. Michael added 121 yards rushing and 3 TD.

The defense did not play well overall, giving up 28 points and nearly 300 yards passing to the Tigers.

Up next - A chance at avenging the lone loss of the 2009 season when the Aggies visit Oklahoma St.

22. Dru50

A&M gets their pound of flesh from the Cowboys, winning 48-0 at Stillwater

Coach Dru made his team watch the 2009 tape of the game vs the Cowboys over and over in the week leading up to this game, especially the sequences of Oklahoma St running up the score in the 4th quarter leading to a 44-7 beating.

The strategy worked, because the A&M players were on a mission for payback. A&M scored 48 points on the Cowboys, including a 64 yard TD pass from J. Johnson to R. Swope with 5 seconds to play to punctuate the point, Urban Meyer style.

Johnson had perhaps his best game as an Aggie, going 15-18 for 281 yards and 4 TD. Michael added 112 yards rushing.

Coach Dru had no apologies for the Cowboys coaches or players after the game, simply saying to the media 'what goes around comes around'.

Up next - The Aggies visit rival Baylor.

23. Dru50

Aggies continue winning streak, defeating Baylor 52-14

Not much to say about this game, except 'same old same old' for the Aggies. Johnson continued his stellar play, throwing for 211 yards and 2 TD and rushing for 80 yards and 2 TD. Michael had his worst game since week 1, gaining only 87 yards on 23 carries, as Baylor constantly blitzed, which allowed Johnson to take advantage. WR Jeff Fuller was the recipient of most of Johnsons passes, catching 6 passes for 145 yards and 2 TD.

Up next - The start of a difficult end of season stretch, as the Aggies host the Oklahoma Sooners.

24. Dru50

A&M defends home turf, defeating Sooners 37-14

In the first of a 4 game 'murderers row' of games to end the 2010 season, the Aggies stood tall against Oklahoma. A&M rode a familiar offensive strategy to the victory, control the clock (nearly 22 minutes of time of possession), convert 3rd downs (8-11) and don't turn the ball over. A strong running game was led by C. Michael, who had 110 yards on 22 carries with 2 TD. The passing game was led by J. Johnson, who completed 9-12 passes for 188 yards and a TD. The play of the game was a late first half 50 yard TD pass to Jeff Fuller to answer a OU score that had cut the lead to 13-7.

[youtube]eAhrZV628-c[/youtube]

The defense was dealt a blow when starting MLB K. Mangan dislocated his ankle in the first quarter. He will miss the next 6 weeks, but should return for the teams bowl game.

Up next - The fun continues with the teams final home game of 2010, as Nebraska comes to College Station.

25. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

hmmm...what was the process you used in trying to post the video? I could possibly help.