The 3-3-5

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MurkYa21, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Do we have any 3-3-5 masterminds out there?

I think each defense can be equally successful, but the versatility of the 3-3-5 is pretty nice. I think a lot of users have troubles against it because it's not season as often as some of the more traditional defenses like the 4-3 and 3-4.

I've ran a lot of 3-4 in my day too, so it's nice that the 3-3-5 has the Okie formation where you can use the "3-4" package to get another LB on the field instead of the nickle.

Anyone want to discuss or trade some plays, adjustments, or successes you've had with the 3-3-5? I've got quite a few.

2. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

I use the 3-3-5 stack often. While i am more of a 4-3 guy i really enjoy the versatility of the Stack. I think the Cover 3 or cover 1 works. The only issue is you cant get 2 safeties over the top which leaves you to the possibility of getting beat over the top.

3. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Yeah, that's what the okie formation is good for. Or I'll just switch to nickel if they're trying to beat my 1 high look

4. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I find the 3-3-5 to be particularly successful against outside running plays and the option. I used to run it exclusively but ran up against a guy with Stanford that just lined up in 2 TE sets and power ran down my throat. The Book lacks a really good "heavy" package but if your safeties are good you get a lot of speed and coverage

5. LSUTRUTH

You can adjust to that however you have to pinch your DL and they have to be bigger stout guys. It helps to have a stud DT

6. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Yeah.... it happened after a few seasons where I had focused on speed, even moved a couple big safety recruits to LB, My D was owning everyone, my LBs covered like DBs and were all 85+ speed but all hovering in the 210-225 lb range. The power run just mowed me down for like 3-8 yards per play almost never a loss unless he tried a pitch. Anyway, I switched to a multiple base where I run a lot more 3-4, 2-4-5 nickel and I have the 5-2 when I need to be stout in the middle.

Maybe I'll give the 3-3-5 another chance..... I swore by it for 2 and a half titles (10, 11, 12)

7. LSUTRUTH

That was the issue i was having however i found that pinching and sliding you DL out of base 335 allows to stop this. You have to be a solid MLB user i have found as well

8. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

You can't stay in stack the whole time. I only use it 8+ long situations, and some times I will go to a two high look to stop the routes up the seams.

The okie formation is your friend in run situations (it IS the 3-4). it has a 3-4 formation package and a DTackles package.

Another thing is you always want to slant your line away from the strength. And you don't want your DL head up with the OL if they are trying a power running game.

9. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I used this past season in Chaos, I was first trying to move to the 3-4 but I didn't like how my recruits had developed and most of my LBs are still young. So my DB class and talent jumped out on paper and I was trying to decide between the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5, decided on the 3-3-5 and really enjoyed it.

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

What are some of your favorite plays and set ups noles, I'll post a few of mine once I get xbox live back up..

11. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

3-3-5 Okie DT package sub is awesome for run D

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

It's good. As long as you don't run into anybody with the Maryland I or power I you're good for any look the offense shows you with the 3-3-5.

One play I like out of okie is the double SS blitz. It brings 6 blitz, manned up over the top. I messed around with it in practice and I either run it as is (if I'm feeling frisky)... or user and spy one of the blitzing safeties, and slant the DL to the side of whichever safety is still blitzing. Also, timing is huge so I audible to it a couple seconds before the snap, just enough time for the safeties come down.

13. LSUTRUTH

For me you dont have to audible because almost every look is the same so it makes it hard for the user to tell presnap whether you are playing zone or man / blitzing. However If you get a heavy run formation the stack will get gashed by a power run.

14. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Im referring to blitzing both strong safeties in okie, or else you give away your coverage and its an easy TD.

15. Joe_THEDREAM

Joe_THEDREAM Living a dream

This thread has inspired me to work a lot more 3-3-5 into my 3-3-5 / 4-2-5 hybrid D. Typically only used it for long yardage downs or to bring exotic blitzes. Last night, against an overmatched cpu team, it performed well. Going to keep messing around with it.

16. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I'd probably be running a Hybrid too if my OD allowed CPB's. You should try developing a system around one player who is an all around stud. Then you could audible from the 3-3-5 to the 4-2-5 on the fly or vica versa..:D That'd be sweet!

Also, Split from the 3-3-5 gives you that 4-2-5 look and there is a package that allows you to take out an OLB to put in the fourth D-lineman.

17. Joe_THEDREAM

Funny you say that because i had a long discussion a day or two ago with a member of our dynasty about that. He's working to see how the audibles bring a person down to the line. I haven't seen that with split, i'll look next time. With the Okie formation i just saw the 3xDT formation that you guys have mentioned. Ran with with the lighting blitz for a sack. My defense is all world so really anything works with them so it's probably not fair.

No CPB? Thats communist.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Here are some of my plays + set ups..looking for more from you guys

Stack: 6+ yard situations
    1. Storm Red - run as is - good for stopping outside run
    2. SS Dogs - hot route blitzing SS's to hooks or flat zones - dont run vs trips
    3. Monster Green - Slant DL towards blitzing LB's
    4. 2 Spy Invert - blitz one of the OLB's slant DL towards that blitzer - user cover the zone he vacates
    5. Middle Blitz - run as is - holds middle runs to 4 yards and under

Across: 3rd and long
    1. Cover 2 Man - always select play as is (don't flip, it'll get screwed up) - hot route and user blitzing OLB
    2. Cover 3 - blitz one of the OLB's slant DL towards that blitzer - houte route blitzing MLB to cover his zone

Okie: 3-4 package, vs running formations, less than 6 yards to go
    1. Lightning - Hot route one of the MLB's to man up the HB and user him - good vs all runs, rally to the ball.
    2. Lightning Blitz 2 - Bring the blitz from the trips or multiple receiver side - MLB will rob the slant - user the other OLB to cover the middle
    3. Cover 2 Sink - Hot route MLB to cover middle third - Play tampa 2 defense
    4. Cover 1 - Call vs trips so your safety covers the slot
    5. Dbl Safety Go - run as is and user MLB not blitzing, or - Hot route a blitzing safety to spy, user him, and slant DL to the safety still assigned to blitz

Split: good vs run and pass, Im going to formation sub a DE in for the OLB to look like the 4-2-5
    1. Middle Blitz - Reblitz one of the DTs - user the left MLB and blitz the A gap from behind the other MLB, should come through clean
    2. Cover 2 & 3 - You can use the same concept as above to get A gap pressure
    3. Storm Red - Run as is - maybe disguise the coverage a little then show blitz - good vs pass and stops outside runs

Bear: Short yardage run stopping
    1. MLB Plug - blitz the A gap with MLB or FS
    2. SS Dogs - stops outside runs - rally to the toss with the FS
    3. Cover 3 - Drop 9 or 10 into coverage - make sure to hot route someone to spy the QB

• Like Like x 2
  19. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I know right..

And I just checked on the package sub for Split and I was wrong, but you could use formation subs to do it. You can run all of the best plays from the 4-2-5 Normal from Split.

And for the audibling...the only problem is is that it has to be either audibling from the 3-3-5 to the 4-2-5 ONLY or 4-2-5 to the 3-3-5 ONLY.

If it was 3-3-5 to the 4-2-5 your stud would be one of the OLB, I think the ROLB. For the 4-2-5 it would be the RE. I don't think I had much success with it when I tried, but we could be on to something. It would have to be a special player. edit: well then again, formation subs would do the trick ;)

20. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

It was because people were taking a mix of everything and at some point it was thought it might be causing glitches.

21. Joe_THEDREAM

I pos change a lot of OLBs to DE in my defense, so, them standing up or dropping into coverage really isn't an issue. Doing this allows for a lot of versatility when zone blitzing.

22. Joe_THEDREAM

I was just kidding around. We have to have our CPB's "Approved".

23. uagrad90

uagrad90 Walk On

Now does the 3-3-5 work well if you do not user a LB? I user as a DT and allow the cpu to handle the LB's and DB's. I finally figure out that in NCAA12 I was creating more problems and holes than I made plays when I used a LB or DB. I currently run the 3-4 and 4-2-5 as my nickle and I was considering moving from the 4-2-5 to the 3-3-5 as my nickle. Trying to figure out if it would be a smooth transition if I had to audible to the 3-3-5 if I was caught in the 3-4 and faced more than 3 receivers. I assumed either my ROLB or LOLB would shift out to the extra SS spot.

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

The nickel/dime/2ss DB in the 3-3-5 sometimes doesn't shift the correct alignment when matching up with a slot. But this past "year" I was #2 in Total defense and #2 in rushing defense while being somewhere in the 30s for passing defense. For the most part I user the safety while sometimes playing one of the LBs.

I like the 4-2-5 in theory and the plays but I just can't switch to the scheme and run the plays, lol

I would be running a 3-4 if I had the LBs to do it, well I have plenty of them on the roster they are just not rated where I want them to be for the scheme. It will probably be one more year of the 3-3-5 then to the 3-4 but I really liked it, I just like getting a lot of tackles with one of my favorite LBs.

uagrad90

25. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Personally, I play with the FS. You should mostly play with the FS, but you can play with a LBer occasionally.

If you're really good at usering a DT that would probably be really effective, but I find playing with the DL boring ha.