The 4-3

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Kasper, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I like to stay in the 4-3 as much as possible (or other "basic" defensive formations for that matter. By that I mean matching personnel- nickel to 3 wrs, dime to 4). What do you guys do with the 4-3 to stop option I formations and to get your guys to contain outside runs better? I'm not sure if it is simply my LB's not being good enough yet (I have 3 true freshman about 75-76 overall.

2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I dont usually run into many people running the option out of I-form.. but here are some tips I use for stopping outside runs in general. Dont take this as gospel or anything either, Im not the greatest on defense.

Blitz both corners.

Blitz out of Cover 2 looks.

Spread LBs and blitz both OLB.

Load the box with show blitz.

Cover2/Cover3 Press.

Go to 4-4 and really load up the box (Cover3 - Show Blitz among others in there)

Back off the coverage when they are trying to get a lot of yards.

The best way to stop any run game is user-controlling the MLB like a beast and just getting penetration play-side if nothing else. Running the ball is very effective in this year's game, and you have to mix up your defensive playcalling just like when defending the pass.

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

yeah I user the MLB vs the I form option and I can never get to the damn FB. Also I don't like to go to the 4-4.

And I should note the outside runs usually aren't designed, its people bouncing them outside and my LB or DE not getting there. Granted I do have a C+ defense..

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

pinch the line, get up right behind a DT, and hold X once the play starts to get the FB. If your defense sucks then there is only so much you can do

5. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

If you have good safeties and fast linebackers, outside runs are usually a joke.

If you control a linebacker well, the other team just won't be able to run the ball ever.

Usually, if you shoot the playside gaps someone will get through untouched and be able to make a play on the ball carrier.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I can user the LB well vs the CPU- but idk if it is the slight lag in user games or just the added difficulty of talking a human controlled back.

Just gotta get better I guess..

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Whenever I've got 4 defensive linemen down, and I anticipate the run, I'll almost always do a user twist on the right/left side depending on where I think they're going. Take a DT, and QB Contain him, so that will help against the option, and crash the line with the defensive end. There's occasions where you just open a bigger hole for them to run through, but most of the time it stops the run really well for me.