The ACC Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Oct 9, 2011.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Untitleddrawing (1).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

BOYD, OFFENSE SHINE IN OPENER
    New offensive coordinator Ryan Weaver knew that all eyes would be on his offense in the Tigers opener. Just a year ago, Clemson was among the worst offenses in the nation. The new look Tiger offense certainly did not disappoint in the opener of the 2012 campaign. The offense rolled up over 500 yards of offense as Clemson cruised to a 52-14 victory over Ball State.

Quarterback Tajh Boyd was for the most part precise minus his 2 interceptions. Boyd threw for 300 yards and 4 td's on the day. He also tallied 10 carries for 43 yards and a score. The tailback duo of Andre Ellington (15 carries, 72 yards, 1 td) and Mike Bellamy (6 carries, 149 yards, 1 td) was nearly unstoppable. Wideouts DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins each caught 4 balls for 80 + yards. Watkins had 2 td catches. All world TE Dwayne Allen had 3 catches for 61 yards and a score.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

WVU CRUISES PAST TERPS

After having #17 on the ropes early, we started over. The second time, the Terps Defense let up some big plays early, and after having a relative quiet opening qtr, two Maryland fumbles allowed WVU to get up and stay up. Danny O'Brien was hounded from the start by the DLINE of WVU, he still had an ok day throwing the ball, going for 351 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 Int late in the endzone as time expired. Maryland was horrible on third downs, going 3-13 on the day. DJ Adams had 57 yards on 13 carries but with Maryland being down early, he didn't get many looks. 7 diffrent WR's had catches on the day, leading the way was Kerry Boykins with 7 for 168 yards.

4. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

HOOS COME UP SHORT AGAINST TCU

The Virginia Cavaliers almost came away with a program defining win in the first game of the 2012 season. They eventually came up just short in the 28-21 loss. Coach Goose had this to say about the game "Things are definitely looking up for us. I'm pleased with the way the guys played today. We were definitely the underdogs today, we were a little over matched. If our line gives Watford, or Rocco better protection it definitely could have been a huge upset. But it's hard as hell to win a game when your QB is consistently on his ass. If they weren't getting sacked, they were getting knocked down almost every throw. We'll work on somethings this week, and next week we should look alot better. It's really going to be a huge adjustment going to coaching just the offense compared to coaching the whole game. It made it harder to get into the drive."

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

PICS OF THE WEEK
    Screen Shot 2011-10-09 at 8.32.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2011-10-09 at 8.32.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2011-10-09 at 8.33.01 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I am glad I am in the ACC...this is way better than those other confrences

• Like Like x 1
  7. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

WEEK 2 IN REVIEW
    Best Team: The ACC did not fare well in their first full week of games. 6 conference teams played other BCS conference teams (should be 7 but USF and the Big East were inexplicably stripped of their automatic qualifier status in a power move by Cathedral commish). In those 6 games, the ACC was 1-5. UNC is the team of the week by default because they were the only team to beat a BCS team. It was an ugly 10-9 game.

Worst Team: MARYLAND. Sorry Mullen. Their were several nominees this week, but Maryland loses a home game by 23 points. Not a good start by the Terps.

Player of the Week: Sean Renfree, Duke. Renfree was 22-35 for 436 yards and 3 scores as Duke rolled by an FCS school.

What's on tap in Week 3: Their are 3 intriguing conference games this week. FSU travels to UNC. Syracuse travels to UMd. for their first ever ACC game. The ACC Network staff will head up to Pittsburgh for our game of the week as the Panthers host former Big East rival Miami in their first ACC game.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Fair enough

9. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Terps welcome Orange to the ACC...

By juicing em! Actually, Maryland played alot of catch up in this one. Only taking the lead late in the 4th thanks to a INT by Cuse QB Nassib with under 3 minutes to play. Maryland CB Jerimaih Johnson, the second of which made the OC lose his mind...Danny Obrien threw 4 td's but he gave the ball back to Syracuse 3 times...The running game finally got on track but it didn't feel like it to us. This coordinating is tough to get in the flow. Fun though...

Maryland improves to 1-1 (1-0)...

Player of the Game WR Boykins, 8 catches, all over the field. Just missed having two TD's, tackled at the one

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

It is very tough to get into the flow of the game. Especially after the first 3 and out. Do you guys watch the game, sim X, or hit square to get to your next time on the field? AndyVanSlyke mmullen8

11. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

i watch every play. makes it pretty exciting.

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah I watch all plays except xp's and punts, stuff like that

13. Goose

Goose Walk On

Everytime that I watch and it switches possesions, I get stuck watching a play or 2 of the CPU running the O.

14. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Terps D Steps Up...QB Controversy in College Park
    An ugly game early, there is two stories in this one...First, the Terps D, stoped the Cal bears 3 times, when Cal had a 1st and goal and all three times the ball was inside the 5. One Turnover on downs, one INT and on FG allowed was what Maryland gave up in those three chances.

The other story that may of kept OC Mullen his job, or will make him move his family at the end of the year was the benching of Pre-season AA, Davey OBrien. The star JR QB had a stellar year under current FAU HC Gary Crowton, who was let go after the season for the Terps to bring in the fast talking Mullen. Obrien has played dismal in the first two games and Coach Mullen pulled him after a 2-7 effort with three picks in the first QTR. CJ Brown came in and completed 11-19 passes for 179 yards and a touchdown.

After the game, OC Mullen, who oddly enough is given more press conference time then any other coordinator in the country said this, "CJ Brown is our guy. This week. Danny OBrien will now enter a fight for the second string job, next question"

15. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

WEEK 3 IN REVIEW
    Best Team: DUKE. Yes, I just said Duke. All they did was beat Stanford in Palo Alto by the score of 49-25

Worst Team: MIAMI. We were there expecting a great game. All that happened was Miami rolled over and allowed Pitt to beat them 41-17.

Player of the Week: Sean Renfree, Duke. Renfree gets it for the second week in a row. He went 15-29 for 290 yards and 5 td's. Renfree now has 8 td's on the year and zero ints.

What's on tap in Week 4: FSU tries to avoid an 0-3 start by welcoming the Mountaineers of West Virginia.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Goose

Goose Walk On

Week 3

ksu VS Vir. score.png

"Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, We absolutely did not deserve to win that game." OC Goose said after the game. "There's a reason that I only coach the O, and not the D. My defensive playcalling sucked badly." Goose was coaching both sides of the ball for this game as the DC had came down with the 2 week flu. "Hopefully I learned something this week or our game against Clemson is going to be ugly."

Kent State dominated both sides of the ball early in this game as the Virginia Offense really did nothing for the first half. "Kent was able to pass and run at will on us early in this game. Then when we had the ball I was calling all of the plays that complimented the defense that Coach Pro had called. My hat is off to the coaches and kids at Kent. They are really going to be good this year."

Kent State took their opening drive deep into Cavalier territory, when the defense finally showed up in the redzone and forced an 18 yard field goal that the Golden Flashes kicker pulled left. Virginia did diddly squat on their next drive and Kent was threatening to score when this happened.

VIR. VS KSU.png

Linebacker Ausar Walcott had an 85 yard pick 6. A couple of drives latter Kent State found the endzone on a 3 and goal from the 1 inch line on a QB keeper. 7-7 tie going into half.

"At halftime I was packing my bags to head back to Philadelphia to beg for my former job then on our second play from scrimage in the second half Perry Jones got loose on a dive and ran it 67 yards to paydirt."

Latter in the third quarter Jones would score on a 34 yard scamper to make it 21-7. Both sides traded fieldgoals in the fourth quarter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

WEEK 4 IN REVIEW
    Best Team: PITT. The Panthers have put themselves in a nice position to challenge for an ACC title in their first year in the conference. They rolled past Miami two weeks ago and last week they defeated Georgia Tech in Atlanta by the score of 27-7.

Worst Team: FLORIDA STATE. It's looking bad in Tally. The Noles are 0-3 after a 43-16 beat down by WVU in the Bobby Bowden Bowl.

Player of the Week: Sean Renfree, Duke. This kid can play. 3 weeks straight now he has been the player of the week. He is up to 11 touchdown passes to 1 interception.

What's on tap in Week 4: The game of the takes place in Tallahassee. FSU will try to avoid an 0-4 start while the visiting Duke Blue Devils are seeking a 4-0 start. Are we in bizarro world or what? Whispers of Jimbo Fisher's future will turn to shouts if the Noles lose.​

• Like Like x 3
  18. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

nice work! love this thread and id be lying if i said i wasnt hoping to be part of the ACC madness in the future!

19. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Terps Dominate from start
    Luckily for first time starter, CJ Brown, the Demon Deacons are not very good. Even more lucky, the Maryland D is really playing well, pitching a shutout against Wake Forest. Wake Forest had 60 total yards of offense. The Terps on the other hand, saw an incredibly efficient CJ Brown go 19-26 for 253 yards and 2 scores, both to Kenny Dorsey. Brown spread the ball around, with 7 diffrent guys catching the ball.

Goal Watch:I have a very important goal, to complete 60% of my passes. It has been challenging so far, but a blast to live and die with every throw. Currentlly sit at 58%. Also, I have to throw 20 td passes, which I think I can get too, but I still have to rush for 1500 yards. Since I am throwing more, I am getting sacked...alot. Currently sit at 351 yards after 4 games (yikes). With a 1 year deal, these could be back breakers...

20. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

TIGERS HUMILIATE HEELS

The Clemson Tigers dominated UNC from the beginning and cruised to a 45-14 win in Death Valley on Saturday. The offense racked up 500 yards of offense and the defense did just enough. Tajh Boyd threw for 320 yards and 3 scores. The down side was that for the third straight game he threw 2 picks. Boyd also joined in on the rushing game going for 45 yards and 2 scores. Andre Ellington and Mike Bellamy were effective in the backfield as well as they split carries and combined for 150 yards.

The Tigers travel to Atlanta to take on the Yellow Jackets on Saturday.

21. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

WEEK 5 IN REVIEW
    Best Team: MARYLAND. It's not often you see such a complete team victory like what you saw from the Terps. The defense posted probably one of the most dominant performances you will see all season. The always arrogant offensive coordinator somehow took all of the credit though.

Worst Team: WAKE FOREST. How do you let the Terps do that to you?

Other notes:​
    -Sean Renfree is moving into Heisman talk. Sure they lost, but his 15-1 td/int ratio is ridiculous​
    -FSU avoided catastrophe by beating Duke by a field goal. A loss would have put FSU at 0-4.​
    -VT should run away with the Coastal​
    -Looking like Pitt may be the team to beat in the Atlantic with Clemson and Maryland in the discussion.​

What's on tap in Week 5: Clemson @ GT. Clemson could solidify it's spot in the Atlantic and GT needs a win to keep up in the Coastal.​

22. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

I wish I was in the ACC

23. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

CLEMSON WINS AGAIN, OFF TO 4-0 START
    It has taken 4 games for the Tigers to match last year's 4 win total. Most of this surprising start needs to be attributed to a much improved and more versatile offense. In 4 games, Clemson has shown that it can win both in the air and on the ground. Saturday's 42-15 win at Georgia Tech was won on the ground. Clemson ran for 266 yards on the day. They were paced by Andre Ellington's 113 yards and Mike Bellamy's 68 yards.

Quarterback Tajh Boyd left the game in the first half after a concussion suffered on a 39 yard run. Clint Stoudt came in a played a great game as he slowed down the offense and led several nice scoring drives.

Screen Shot 2011-10-15 at 9.12.26 AM 1.png

24. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Terps Hit the Road, Escape Philly
    Let this be a lesson to all coaches, don't leave a good team. Goose left a very good team. The Terps escape Philly with an 18-17 win, on a last second field goal from 20 yards out. QB CJ Brown came back down to earth and did his best Danny Obrien impression, throwing 4 INT's, one in the end zone that would of been the go ahead score. Luckily, the Terps D played great again, limiting Temple to just 17 points, considering they were on the field...alot.

Is there another QB controversy in College Park? "Nope" CJ Brown is my guy said a naked from the waist down Coach Mullen.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

WEEK 6 IN REVIEW
    Best Team: CLEMSON. They dominated GT by beating them at their own game, running the ball. Quarterback Tajh Boyd left the game before halftime and the Clemson offense did not skip a beat.

Worst Team: VIRGINIA. Things are bleak in C-Ville. The Hoo's have been shutout twice this year. Goose - RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!

Other notes:​
    -VT is on the verge of a very special season. They are allowing 6.5 points a game and scoring a boatload.​
    -FSU vs. Miami this week. Has this game ever been this irrelevant?​
    -Next week's Pitt vs. Clemson game will be huge.​
    -VT has 3 of the top 6 receiving yardage leaders in the conference.​

What's on tap in Week 6: Pitt @ BC in Atlantic Division clash of unbeatens.​

• Like Like x 1