The Baseline Tip-Off: Sunday October 16th

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by Dru50, Oct 11, 2011.

?

What game speed to use?

1. Fast

8.3%
  2. Normal

91.7%
  3. Slow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Everyone - based on some testing of the online association mode (thanks to JFace907 for helping with that) and the fact that there is no end in sight to the lockout (a big middle finger to the NBA and NBPA for that), I think we should plan on starting the league for keeps on Sunday night. I will plan on creating the league that evening with it tipping off the next day in the afternoon.

Based on what we've discussed, I think All-Star difficulty is the way to go, and using 10 minute quarters seems good, but please post ASAP if you disagree. Also, I think a 56 game schedule is out best bet, but again, please let us know if you feel otherwise.

The only matter to be finalized is the pace of the league. There are 3 options, 'fast', 'normal' and 'slow'. Generally speaking (from what we can tell), when the league starts, each team has a block of 4-8 games open to play, and periodically (about every 6 hours for fast, every 12 hours for normal and every 18 hours for slow) the game progresses forward one day in the game. Any games not played are simmed. So basically what that means is that if you consistently play the most current game on your schedule, and play one game daily, you could likely get every game in (assuming you could schedule user games in those windows). I think that the scheduling system could work well and it forces things to keep moving. The downside is that games get simmed (including user games) if they can't be played.

Shaun Mason did the following estimate on how fast a season would go on each setting - Fast in approximately 25-30 days, Normal in approximately 50 days, slow in approximately 75 days.

I'd like everyone to vote on how fast you'd like this to go. I personally vote we go with 'normal', which seems like a good balance. To make this work, everyone would likely just need to accept that a certain percentage of your games get simmed if you can't get them in.

Please vote ASAP.

RynoAid
    Bondzai007
    JFace907
    recchem2000
    gowazzucougs
    Danthraxxx
    bucsfan047
    Mike E
    makinpropel
    BDSDIGITAL
    Papa Perry
    ryalaman

2. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

I went with Normal. Cant wait, still not even sure what team im gonna go with.

3. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Went with Normal. I do in fact love this setup though. If needed, you can just play a couple games one night, and if you have like 6 2k calender days off, you can take a few real life days off for a break. It's just play at your own pace.

I would prefer like 8 or 9 quarters, it just takes so long with 10 minute quarters. Its not a big deal though.

4. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I vote Normal.

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I voted normal. I think 10 min qtrs might be too long though. At least for me. I'd prefer 8-9 but whatever works for the majority I guess.

Also, did the time it would take to finish a season include the playoffs?

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Normal sounds good ...... Hope head servers ain't too shatty

7. Dru50

Probably not, I don't think anyone knows how the playoffs will work.

I'll post a poll about quarter length tonight, I'd be ok with shorter quarters.

8. Dru50

Normal speed it is. Thanks guys.

9. Dru50

Here are the teams as best I remember them - please post if I have anyone's team wrong:

Western Conference
    RynoAid - Dallas Mavericks
    Dru50 - Los Angeles Clippers/Minnesota Timberwolves
    recchem2000 - Los Angeles Lakers
    gowazzucougs - Portland Trail Blazers
    Mike E - Oklahoma City Thunder
    bucsfan047 - Golden St Warriors
    JFace907 - Sacramento Kings

Eastern Conference
    Bondzai007 - Orlando Magic
    BDSDIGITAL - Cleveland Cavaliers
    Papa Perry - Atlanta Hawks/Chicago Bulls
    makinpropel - New York Knicks
    ryalaman - Miami Heat
    Danthraxxx - Chicago Bulls/Philadelphia 76ers

10. Bucs

im not going with Phoenix, got it narrowed down to Denver, San Antonio, or GS (depening on who you take)

11. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Is anyone gonna be upset if Im the bitch that takes Miami? I'm getting blown out by 30+ by the CPU on all-star no matter who I play right now.

12. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

We need to try to get one person to move from West to East to balance it out a little better.

13. Dru50

OK - I'll let you know about my team by this weekend. I'm leaning toward Minnesota because they have more young trade chips I could play around with while I'm getting my ass whipped by the CPU.:D

14. Dru50

Upset - no.

Will we all make fun of you for being a wuss - most definitely.;)

Just embrace the losing - I think once everyone gets used to the game things will improve.

As an aside - has anyone tried a game on 'Pro' to see how much different it is? I'm curious, and may try a game on it tonight.

15. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

I have and the computer is obviously more beatable, but the one problem i have is that user and CPU FG % clips go up. Whereas now we're getting between 40-52%, on Pro its more 52-60%

16. Dru50

Really? I was assuming the CPU offense would be worse on Pro compared to All Star.

In my games I've played thusfar vs the CPU I'm losing because I'm turning it over 20+ times a game and playing really poor defense (generally allowing 50+% FG and forcing less than 5 TO's a game). If I can get less sloppy on both sides of the court I should be more competitive.

17. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I took the Lakers and am getting my ass whooped so don't worry about it.

18. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Thats the biggest thing right there is the turnovers. If you can force the CPU to play a half court style game, its usually more competitive. If they are constantly running out on turnovers and bad shots, then it is gonna be a long night.

19. Dru50

Gee - that sounds like real basketball.

Sorry, I'm so used to NCAA where the CPU reverts to knowing every play you call before you call it to try and maintain competitiveness that I'm completely blown away by a game that actually closely replicates the real thing....

• Like Like x 2
  20. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Lol i was thinking the exact same thing after i typed it out...

21. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

im goin with OKC still. Watched a few vids on playcalling and like what i see. I WILL learn this game. But probably not...

22. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I am not super in love with the Clippers Dru50 , I can pick an east team ...... Plus with being online earlier that may make more sense anyway.

Can I give you a def tomorrow night on my east team ?

23. Bucs

playcalling is sooo smooth once you get the hang of it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dru50

No problem - pick the team you like my man.

I may try out the clips - them and the warriors were the first two teams I was interested in but I wanted to give you dibs since you were interested.

25. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I guess if Papa Perry passes on the Bulls Ill take them... otherwise I might be that guy who takes the Heat.