The Best and Worst From Our first 10 Seasons

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Jun 6, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

We are nearing the midway point of our 10 year, I thought I would take a look at some of the best (and worst) moments, teams and players from our first 10 seasons of many. I will update this thread periodically throughout the year. If you have a suggestion, feel free to PM it to me.

And we begin...

The Top 10 Worst Single Season VORP (batting):

[​IMG]

Congrats soxandgators for Teodoro Martinez' amazing season. Perhaps giving this guy 556 at bats could be a reason this won't be the last time you are mentioned on this list.

Top 10 Worst Single Season VORP (pitching):

[​IMG]

I knew a lot of these performances would be from the early years, but Shelby Miller's 2018 performance was pretty bad ryty32

Worst Postseason Chokes:

[​IMG]

KnightNoles 2017 Nationals who had a 3-1 LCS lead over goldenglove2 and his Reds and ended up losing 3 straight games. Costing him a trip to the World Series.

[​IMG]

The 2020 Nats would become even more infamous, with their duplicate performance of the '04 Yankees. Losing 4 straight to the Marlins after having the 3-0 series lead.

Top 10 Closers

[​IMG]

Jordan Walden has been dominant... accumulating 338 saves since the league's inception. He started his career with the Angels, but now plays for Cincinnati.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Great stuff.

I blame Frankie-CardinalsGM.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I blame Joe Leonard for not winning back to back World Series.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PAgamer07

Most Gold Gloves:

[​IMG]

Buster Posey with a whopping 5 Gold Gloves in 10 years. If he wins this year, that's technically six.

Most Cy-Young Awards:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Julio Teheran and Justin Verlander both have 3 Cy Young Awards so far in their careers

Most Losses:

[​IMG]

Max Scherzer just continues to lose. Of all pitchers since 2012, he has lost the most. Currently 160 losses and counting.

Biggest 1st Round Busts:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SP Lucas Guilito (CHA- 2012)
    CF Andrew Van Derwall (NYN- 2012)
    SP Hector Aguilar (MIN- 2013)
    IF Alexandre Drouet (SFG- 2014)

• Like Like x 3
  5. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

PAgamer07

'04 Yanks, not '07 which was when the Sox came back down from 3-1 to win against the #TeePeeTankJobs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PAgamer07

You sure? It couldnt have been that long ago.

7. JohnnyClutch

I'll bet my first born child on it.

8. JohnnyClutch

9. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Some great / terrible memories from that list.

Devin Harris saw 536 ABs because I had almost nobody who could play OF for the first 4-5 seasons of the league. Harris was a decent fielder and was rated as a good prospect, before getting injured 2 years before putting up that season. Luckily, LF Herb Fuller developed well in the minors and put up some decent offensive seasons, before getting injured and losing his pop.

I really miss Brian Wilson. He rarely blew saves and never gave up late HRs. His career was ended by injury 2 seasons ago. He was still near the top of his game.

That 2013 season basically signaled the end of Matt Cain's career. Unfortunately, he signed a 7 year - $150 mln contract before the league was started. Basically, $50 mln per year was tied up in him and Lincecum. He may have been the only player making over $20 mln in AAA ball in 2017-19. His ERA+ would never be over 100 again.

2014 first round pick Alexandre Drouet started off his career well. He hit 7 HR in his first two weeks in Series A ball. He also had + fielding at both 2B and SS. He was progressing along nicely, until an injury sidetracked his 2015 season and he declined terribly after that. Either PAgamer07 or @sharkman correctly labeled this pick as questionable in their draft report.

Buster Posey has been a rock. I'll miss him when he decides to retire. I don't have much talent to bring in once he retires.

• Like Like x 2
  10. abolishthefed

The '07 TeepeeTankJob was terrible to watch. The team was on fire all year, winning in every way imaginable. I do remember that team frequently rallying in the late innings to win ballgames. CC Sabathia and Fausto Carmona were almost unbeatable late in the year and they were starting games 6 and 7 of the Boston series. The pressure of possibly heading to another world series to lose appeared to make the team freeze up and they completely crapped the bed. That may have been the last season Grady Sizemore was seen on the field and not on a treadmill at your local gym.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Hector is one of my starting pitchers! haha

12. PAgamer07

Worst Trades in 10 Seasons (in no particular order):

San Diego sends:
    [​IMG]
    1B Nick Ramirez

Baltimore sends:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    LF Guy Cedeno
    MR Jim Johnson
    SP Sonny Gray
    CL Jose Sanchez
    MR Rogelin Payne

This trade in 2018 was a bad one for the Padres. They let go one of their most valuable pieces at the time, for a lot of garbage players. None of which have amounted to anything. Of the players aquired in this deal, none remain on the Padres roster except Guy Cedeno who is probably worse than he was when traded for. Nick Ramirez on the other hand? Had a monstrous season the very next year with 49 HR and 134 RBI and is a key player in the back to back World Series wins for the Orioles.

White Sox send:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

SP Augusto Martinez
    OF Robinson Martinez

Twins Send:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

OF Arthur Lawson
    1B Ed Washington
    OF Corey Hart

The fact that Corey Hart was already 37 years old at the time of this trade makes it incomprehensible. The trade took place in 2019 and the following year, Augusto won the Cy Young with the Twins with a sizzling 20-2 season. Arthur Lawson, although a solid piece is essentially a leadoff hitter who cannot field. His career ZR in the OF is -31. Just a horrible move for the White Sox and one of the worst ever.

Milwaukee sends:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    3B Michael Mosby
    MR Chen Lee

Tampa sends:
    [​IMG]
    Phillip Wunderlich

Wunderlich had an excellent rookie campaign in 2015 for the Devil Rays. So what did previous GM AJ Hart MN do? That's right... he traded him for nothing. He went on to have 5 straight 20 HR seasons for the Brewers, highlighted by his 2019 season with 28 HR 100 Runs scored and 102 RBI. Chen Lee became the defacto closer for the Rays and after an awful 2017 season, lost the job.

Brewers send:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    RF William Scott
    SP Joe Charette
    CF Rich Courtney
    C Tanner Murphy

White Sox send:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    C Kevan Smith
    CL Addison Reed

This trade was a real head scratcher at the time. Kevan Smith was one of the best power hitting catchers in the league in 2016. So what do the White Sox do? They trade him for a bunch of pieces for no apparent reason whatsoever. At the time of the trade Charette was the key piece, but was extremely young and unpolished with only 2 legitimate pitchers. More suited for a reliever. The other pieces they got back were not got at all. Kevan Smith went on to hit 120+ HR for the Brewers the next 4 seasons. And at onloy 32, he is still a threat. Just a weird trade.

Orioles send:
    [​IMG]
    SP Jake Odorizzi

San Diego sends:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    SS Tom Dow
    C Wayne Barnes

Our final trade is probably the worst ever. By a mile. The Orioles send SP Jake Odorizzi, a guy who had already hit his peak back in 2015 (5 years previous) for the best hitting prospect in the Dugout's history. Oh yeah.. and he can play (somewhat) one of the toughest positions to find a good hitter- catcher. Not only did the Padres send Wayne Barnes... but somehow, they got talked into a middle infielder who had played well just a year and a half earlier in San Diego in IF Tom Dow. This trade is easily the worst I have seen.

• Like Like x 10
  13. abolishthefed

San Diego is proving to be a nice farm system for the Orioles.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

New Raj rule: Orioles and Padres are no longer allowed to make trades.

• Like Like x 1