The Best College Coach In The Game Today...

Discussion in 'Between The Lines' started by DreSmithJr, Oct 1, 2010.

1. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

The Best College Coach In The Game Today...

At work today, me and my friends were talking sports, as usual... and this topic came up. Being in the state of GA, every coached named was a SEC guy (Meyer and Saban) with a few Big Ten Sprinkled in (JoePa).

But i brought up this name... the BOISE STATE Head Coach Chris Petersen.

here is my argument..

He coaches in the state of IDAHO, where getting a recruit to WANT to go there is a ACCOMPLISHMENT all in it self. He is smart and goes for the 2-3 star guys from california that the USCs, UCLAs etc will overlook and motivates them to WORK HARD and stay for 4 years to get the BEST they can be.

BOISE is now a LEGITIMATE factor in college sports...

His Career Record at Boise Speaks for Itself

52-4

the ONLY 2-time winner of the COACH of the YEAR TROPHY

Folks say "he cudnt beat this team and that" but every year he shows he can.

I like saban too, but Do i think he could of went to BOISE and made them a contender?
    NO.. Saban always has talent. and when he lacks it (DOLPHINS) he quits

Meyer is a good comparison, what he did at utah was nice.. but even UTAH> BOISE as far as being able to get recruits etc

What do yall think..

[​IMG]

2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

He definitely is definitely up there, but who is to say someone like Saban...having that name, couldn't bring talent to Boise? Not arguing your point, as much as it pains me to say it, Petersen is a great coach. He definitely has the biggest nads they way they call out other teams and of course the hook n ladder and statue against Oklahoma. They've beaten Oklahoma--fact and they beat Oregon last season, who eventually went on to lose in the Rose Bowl. Other than that...Virginia Tech...who got beat by James Madison...and Oregon St....which isn't a well established program. Then there is TCU...who can fall into the same boat. Yes, I am a fan that dislikes Boise St, which is mainly what is driving this discussion for me...but I won't give Petersen best coach today just yet. I think that he can obtain it, but getting the Broncos to the National Championship or a major BCS bowl and playing and beating a major BCS team...let's mark that one off again. Oklahoma was a big win, a monumental upset, but unfortunately...I wanna see more...as does the rest of the media and the guys who decide who plays for the crystal ball.

3. Sdtexas4

Sdtexas4 Walk On

Just a short comment. If your a good coach you can lead a team to a title. If you a great coach you can lead your team to victory and make your players the best they can be. No matter if you win, loose, or draw the out come of how your players play reflects if your a "great" coach or not. So, I have to agree with you on your post.

4. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I think Chris Petersen inherited a pretty good team from Dan Hawkins.

I think Jim Harbaugh inherited a much worse program and that turn around has been outstanding. Especially running up the score on USC last year. That's when you know you've arrived! :D

5. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I do like Harbaugh as a coach. He is entertaining, and gets a lot out of a limited pool of available players at Stanford.

Mike

6. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

I would have to go with Harbaugh. He has done a lot in his time at Stanford.

7. DreSmithJr

I dont understand how yall can praise harbaugh

he is 21-20 for his career at Stanford..

include this year and he is

25-20

not to mention

STANFORD is in CALIFORNIA and is a presitgious school in itself

i think that SELL is easier then the sell of BOISE...

so yall try and help me see where ur coming from

i put meyer over harbaugh lol

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I like Harbaugh because he is funny.

His team motto is: "Win with character, with with cruelty".

Peterson is fantastic at X-O's. BUT...his big wins are at the start of the season, AND bowl games where he has tons of time to gameplan. You put Boise in a major conference and that advantage goes away, the would still compete, but not 52-4 compete.

I will say that Jim Tressel is my favorite college coach...classy as hell and people tend to remember the NC game losses, but the guy flat out wins to get there.

9. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

How many CFB players have the SAT/ACT scores (taken themselves) and GPA to get into Stanford? Like I said, limited talent pool.

Mike

10. DreSmithJr

and with a 21-20 record it shows

how man kids wanna go to BOISE???

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think Harbaugh is a great coach. Stanford was absolutley mired in mediocrity, they have a great academic reputation but not a great football rep. I think he's done a fantastic job and that team is going to continue to improve to a 10-win team every year.

Who's the very best? I have no idea. Pederson has to be up there, certainly.

I really like what Brady Hoke has done at SDSU... We'll see if they can continue to get better.

12. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

who wouldnt want to go to boise at this point?

they are like a california JUCO all-star team

13. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

First off Saban is the best IMO. Second he didn't "quit the Dolphins because of lack of talent." He left the pros because he didn't like it. When he went top LSU that program was in shambles, same thing with Bama. He loves college and recruiting and making a difference in young peoples lives. Considering what he had to work with at Miami I think he did a fine job while he was there but he is meant for college. I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

And I do think Harbaugh is great coach, he is right behind Saban in my mind. He is very smart, energetic and a great recruiter. He has gotten big time players from all over the country including All-Americans from Georgia, so you can't say he's just getting them from California. If I had a choice right now to replace Saban if he retired, it would be Harbaugh.

14. DreSmithJr

That's more a testament to PETERSON's ability though wouldn't you say?

He BUILT them up to that, that was always the case. NOW they are getting considerations from really good recruits.

15. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Hawkins kind of built them up too... Hawkins had the same success with even less than Peterson. And you put Hawkins at Colorado and look what he has done there. Is it really the coach? Or is it more the turf/conference...

16. BDSDIGITAL

Hawkins should have been able to do it too. When he got in there, there was nothing in the Big 12 North and he still couldn't get it done.

My point about Harbaugh was that he took a fledgling football program and have turned them into a contender in 3 1/2 years. They were winning 2, 3, 4 games a year for almost the entire 00 decade then Harbaugh came in and they have gradually gotten better and better to the point where they are one of the best programs on the West Coast. Ya his record is a medicore 21-20, but you gotta look at the team he took over. Petersen still took over a really solid team that Hawkins helped build. That's all I was saying.

17. DreSmithJr

thats a VERY good point SIR. the best Ive heard.

Colorado has had its own set of issues under him as head coach, so that may have detered possible recruits, even JUCO allstars lol.

@BDS i see what u mean. Maybe we can get a stanford boise bowl to settle this?? lol

18. BDSDIGITAL

Chris Petersen is also a fantastic Coach. There are many that are at the peak of the profession. My favorite obviously is the Vest, but you can't argue with Petersen, Saban, Meyer (even though he seemingly has no control over his program), Tressel, Ferentz, Stoops, Brown, etc. These are all fantastic college football coaches and all of them are worthy to be brought up in a conversation like this.

19. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I am going to go homer here also. Kirk Ferentz

20. DreSmithJr

i like him, but he lets me down in big games too many times..

Iowa should of had a national title in the last 5 years IMO

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Ferentz is a solid FB coach and I like him but I never get the feeling that he's going to swing a big game against another good college FB coach.

22. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

The thing I like about Ferentz is he does so much with less. When was the last time he had a recruiting class like Bama, Florida, USC, PSU, OSU, Texas? And yet has had a program as good as those guys on average for the past 8 years. May not be the greatest "game" coach, but he is a good "player" coach.

Also, Dre, you will have a love/hate relationship with RG3 on this game. But he sure is fun to use.

Mike

23. DreSmithJr

well its his senior year... and im going throught playbooks now to find the perfect fit.

i have 3 top choices... gonna narrow it down today

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm going to send you to Miami first year, LOL

25. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

Being a Buckeye fan I cant believe no one has went with the obvious choice of Rich Rodrigues. He has been a model of consistency every were hes been. He has ended a consecutive bowl streak, and a consecutive winning seasons streak and all in just a short couple of years. Not to mention bringing his university NCAA sanctions on top of it...I think it is plainly obvious that Michigan made the right decision when they went with Rodrigues.....and heres to hoping he pulls a Joe PA and stays there till hes 80