The BOX

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by CWT 3000, Jul 21, 2013.

1. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

THE BOX
    Using subwoofer tuning software I made this beast of a box for my Rockford Fosgate subwoofer. It's tuned for around 38Hz in the main area and 32Hz in the second chamber. If your not familiar with subwoofer tuning it's essentially calculating volume, hole diameter, and tube length. You can even get real technical, and make two chambers, and tune each to a specific frequency. When listening to music there will be increased output at these frequencies. Get LOW.

When you drive your speaker below the tuning frequency the port allows the driver to unload so that it can move much more in each direction with less power, thus making it very easy to push the driver past its mechanical limit. You'll notice in Sound Quality people that they will tune their box to a low frequency like 28Hz and very rarely run their sub below this frequency, so the driver rarely unloads. If I remember correctly anything below 26 is ridiculous and is near sub sonic limits of most equipment. Sound Stream is one of the few amps that can handle low low freqs. But anyways I digress. In SPL people will tune to a higher frequency like 40-42Hz and run their sub below the tuning frequency ALOT, moving more air and thus sounding LOUDER yet worse. Most Hip-Hop/Rap is played with notes in the 40-45Hz range. Club music or any good playlist that takes advantage of the sub is usually mass produced in the 40-50Hz range. Tuning to a lower frequency is best if you want to keep the subwoofer from blowing. Music in the 28-32Hz range is common still and can sabotage a subwoofer if repeatedly exposed to those low freqs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Here are some of the other audio mods to the car. The body was soundproofed and originally ran an Alpine subwoofer, but it sucked so now I have a Rockford Fosgate Power Stage III. Best sub I've had ever.

Soundstream 5.1 D' Artagnan amp
    Front Speakers are Image Dynamic component sets
    Rear Speakers are Infinity
    Battery upgrade
    Current Head unit is a Pioneer X8600BT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uh-oh TROUBLE
    [​IMG]

Switches
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the TWEETERS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

very clean install!

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Good stuff man.

5. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Idk wtf any of this stuff is...buts its cool looking :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Back in the day I had 2 12" alpine type r's 1000 watt rms in a 2 door bmw they are part of the reason I don't hear so good today lol

7. chance17

chance17 Walk On

I built boxes for a shop for while I was in college. It's really sad that most people don't have the skill with basic tools to make a decent box. Looks like you did a good job. It makes me smile to see someone actually use large enough power wire and solder connections so they don't crap out. You would not believe how many system's that "wouldn't hit anymore" that I fixed with a good connection to ground and better wiring.