The Buckeye Beat

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BDSDIGITAL, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

The Buckeye Beat

2011 Ohio State Buckeye Football.

This is a season of transition for the Buckeyes. We lost alot of starters on Defense including 9 defensive starters, Doak Walker award winner Boom Herron, star QB Terrelle Pryor and a few other key offensive playmakers. Fortunately our recruiting efforts the last two years have afforded us alot of good young talent to bring along this season. Joe Bauserman will be our starting QB for this season as we bring along one of our younger QB's to start next season. We think Joe will do a fine job and we look forward to seeing what he has to offer. Jamaal Berry is an electrifying Jr RB that we think will fill in just fine for the Doak Walker winner, and we wouldn't be surprised to see Jamaal in the running for that award this year. Posey, Washington, and Duron Carter (son of Chris Carter) will give our offense plenty of offensive weapons to work with.

Our defense will take a step backwards this year, but we will see alot of young, highly touted recruits get their time to shine. Including Storm Klein, and Micah Wolfe coming into his second season.

The schedule is daunting. The three biggest games we have this year will be a trip to the swamp week 2 to take on defending SEC champions Florida, then the defending National Champs come to Columbus for a potential 1 v. 2 matchup if both teams come in undefeated.

But no game is bigger than the showdown in week 13 when the hated Wolverines come to the Horseshoe for the first time in 3 years (!). We will be looking to exact a measure for revenge against Coach Bondzai. We have a feeling in Columbus that, that game will be for the Big 10 championship.

But first thing first, we must get past Rutgers in our home opener.

2. BDSDIGITAL

Week 1. #19 Ohio State @ #2 USC

Los Angeles, CA.

[​IMG]

This game started out as an offensive explosion by the Trojans but ended in a major upset by the Buckeyes!

In the first quarter. USC scored on their first two touchdowns on two possessions. The Bucks scored two field goals in their first two possessions making the Buckeye faithful think "here we go again" but after USC jumped out to a 14-6 lead things calmed down in the second quarter and Terrelle Pryor drove the offense down inside the Trojan red zone only to be picked off in the endzone by a USC Linebacker with less than 2 minutes left. USC still had plenty of time to go down and score to make it a two score game, and they were getting the ball back in the 2nd half so they had a chance to blow the game completely open right here, but our Senior OLB Tyler Moeller stepped in front of a Matt Barkley pass for an interception and Pryor redeemed himself by bring the Buckeye offense back down to score with 8 sec. left in the first half. We went into half time down 14-13. We took the game over in the third quarter behind two defensive TD's by Jermale Hines. One on a fumble at the Ohio State 2 yard line by Joe McKnight (I think) that was returned 98 yards for a score, then a pick 6 by Hines on an amazing INT that I couldn't save a video of. USC also scored in the 3rd to make it 28-21. In the fourth quarter I had the ball backed up in my own end and on 3rd and long Terrelle Pryor found a wide open Devier Posey for a 70 yard TD due to blown coverage by a USC defender to go up 35-21 and all but seal USC's fate. USC came back on a hard fought drive to make the game 35-28 with about 2 minutes left and couldn't recover the onside kick. We ran the clock down and ended the game 35-28.

Our offensive game ball goes to the O-Line who just blew USC's D-line off of the ball and gave Boom Herron plenty of room to run which really set up our passing game, and let us control field possession.

Our Defensive game ball goes to Jermale Hines who scored two touchdowns and was the spark our defense needed.

Final Word:

Good News: We beat #2 on the road and cleared probably our most difficult test to start the season. We had to have this one for respect and hopefully the polls give us a nice jump to start the season.

Bad News: USC was able to move the ball, sometimes seemingly at will. Without those two defensive touchdowns we may have lost in regulation, but even at best would have had to go to overtime on the road, which is a scary proposition. If we played this game 10 times USC probably would win at least 5 times, maybe more.

But a win's a win, and we'll focus on recruiting next week and get ready for A dangerous Hurricane team to travel to Columbus in two weeks.

Sorry my recap wasn't very good and I don't have any stats. I went back in last night to get some stats and scoring summary and couldn't get them. I'm assuming it was because the game froze on me in the post game menu and Mors was the only one who actually reported the final score to the servers.

Either way, great game buddy!

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I'm STILL pissed that I threw that interception after intercepting Pryor and it was my TE Anthony McCoy that fumbled the ball on the 2, no McKnight (though last season he fumbled the ball QUITE a bit more than I cared for).

Man, you had me reeling for answers after those two turnovers for TDs.

And, as always, another hellacious user vs user game. Unfortunately for USC, unless we meet up in a bowl game (Rose Bowl would certainly be fun ;) ) it's gonna be a while before we can avenge this one.

4. BDSDIGITAL

Week 1 Rutgers @ Ohio State.

In our only tuneup before our showdown in the Swamp, we dominated Rutgers 49-21 in front of 105,000 fans in a monsoon.

Joe Bauserman started his Buckeye career off with a bang, throwing for 337 yards and 3 tds. He was hitting receivers all over the field and threw TD passes to three different receivers.

Jamaal Berry started his career off with a bang as well. Stepping into Boom Herron's shoes was not a problem for Jamaal. 141 rushing yards, 52 receiving yards and 4 td's later....He was flat out dominate in the first 3 quarters. He didn't play in the 4th quarter.

All told the Buckeye Offense scored 49 points, netted 508 yards of offense and never punted...

The Defense gave up a few long runs but was very good all together. Several players had 5 or more tackles. No Int's, but many tackles for losses.

Next up is a huge #2 v. #3 match up at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium vs. the Florida Gators!

I think we're ready.

5. BDSDIGITAL

week #2 Florida 38 OSU 7

We got worked in this one. Florida forced three turnovers and made 0 mistakes on their end and cruised to a comfortable 38-7 win. We kept the game close but a last second td by Florida at the end of the first half to go up 21-7 then 3 int's in the 3rd qtr including a pick 6 ended the game and the scrubs came in for both teams to finish.

All together Florida played at an extremely high level and our hat goes off to Bravejaf. You can't play much better than he did.

We go to 1-1 and return home for a tuneup game before the defending National Champion Texas Longhorns come to the shoe for a must win game for the Buckeyes.

6. BDSDIGITAL

Week 3 Navy 10 Ohio State 63.

We rocked Navy in this game. Navy's option had 0 chance against my 4-2-5 defense and the East Carolina Style Offense lit the scoreboard up. We scored at will and could've scored 100 if we wanted to. We definitely made the right decision by switching playbooks. I think the switch to the ECU playbook might be even more important than the defensive switch.

Berry had an awesome day running for 130 yards, receiving about 50 more and scored 4 times, All American Cornerback Corey Brown intercepted two passes, both for touchdowns.

A tuneup doesn't get much better than that. We are looking forward to welcoming Texas to the Horseshoe next week.

7. BDSDIGITAL

Week 4 Texas 31 OSU 17

Another big OOC game, another loss for the Buckeyes. This game started out promising with John Chiles being injured on the first offensive play of the game for Texas, then a subsequent 3 and out but it didn't last. Texas's running game gained consistent yardage and Gilbert used that to run effective play action in route to a 31-17 win in Columbus.

We had a hard time covering their crossing routes and stopping their RB's from falling forward. Those were the two deciding factors in the game for us really.

Now with our team clearly out of the National Championship picture, we'll focus our attention to taking our frustration out on the rest of the Big 10, namely Michigan in 8 weeks.

8. BDSDIGITAL

Week 5 Indiana 0 #13 OSU 53

This game wasn't even a contest. Joe Bauserman had a great day throwing for almost 300 yards and 3 td's. He was 22-25 throwing on the day and really dominated a much lesser team in Indiana. Our defense switched back to the 3-4 and held Indiana to 140 yards of total offense and kept them out of the redzone the entire game.

Next week is a matchup with the 3-1 Northwestern Wildcats.

9. BDSDIGITAL

Week 6 OSU 21 @ NW 16

I don't really have write up on this game. I had a restart, then simmed it and we won, and that's all I got on this one. Sorry.

Week 7 Bye Week

Week 8 #8 OSU 28 @ Wisconsin 21

This game was very frsutrating. We went up 28-10 at the half and were poised to break it wide open but just kept killing ourselves with turnovers in the red zone. Fumbles and lame duck interceptions hurt our chances at a convincing victory, but we did win all the same. The defense played extremely well even with being put in some very difficult circumstances. We forced 5 turnovers. 3 int's, recovered 2 fumbles including one that was returned for a td by lb Andrew Sweat. We forced 3 fumbles total. Jamaal Berry had a tough day carrying the ball 27 times for 61 yards and a td. J.Bauserman had 200 yards passing and 2 td's, but all in all the offense really struggled again.

We are not a very good team right now. Losing Pryor and Herron early hurt more than I thought it would. We must play better from here on out or we won't win the Big 10 and this season will be considered an epic fail!

Week 9 #25 Penn St. 21 @ #7 Ohio St. 49

What a dramatic change coming back home to Columbus. We dominated this game from start to finish against a very good Penn State Team. Even after our lackluster performanace last week we moved up one spot in polls to #7 and we looked every bit of it this week!

Jose Bauserman carried the offense going 20-27 for 313 yards and 4 td's. He threw 1 pick 6 but it was a bull hockey, lame duck to a D Lineman. RB Jamaal Berry and backup RB Jordan Hall were both hurt in the 1st quarter but 3rd string RB Carlos Hyde ran for 119 yards and 2td's.

Some notable stats from this game:

We outgained Penn St. 455 yards to 185 yards, including 14 yards rushing for Penn St. and we held the ball for 24:07 mintues to Penn St. 7:46.

With the losses across the conference it looks like we could clinch the Big 10 title in a few weeks if we continue to handle our business.

10. BDSDIGITAL

Week 10 #6 OSU 49 Minn 21

Jamaal Berry went off in this game with 240 total yards and 4 td's. It was the best performance from a RB in my tenure at Ohio State. Bauserman was un impressive throwing for 179 yards and a TD, no picks. The defense played pretty well. Wells had 6 tk, 4 for loss and 2 sacks. Nathan Williams also had 2 sacks and Corey Brown had a pick to pace the defense. The defense is playing extremely well right now. I'm hoping this carries over a few weeks until the Michigan game. The best news for me this week was Michigan St lost big to Michigan giving me a 1 game lead in the conference with 3 to play.

Week 11 #6 OSU 38 @ Purdue 10

Jamaal Berry started this game with 2 td's in the first 4 minutes, then caught a case of pussitis (strained back) and will be out 8 weeks. Jordan Hall came in in his place and ran for 157 yards on 24 carries. Hall really carried the load for us when the passing game was playing awful today. Bauserman came very close to getting benched but kept himself on the field with 22 yards, 2td, and 2int. One of those int's was a pick 6. That has been a problem that has plagued him all year. The defense played lights out again giving up 189 yards to Purdue, including 37 rushing yards. Sabino had 6 tk, 2 for loss, 2 sacks, and Goebel had 8 tk, 3 fl ,and 1 sack. The defense also scored 2 td's to really bail the offense out.

Next week we play Illinois then we welcome the Wolverines into the Shoe.

11. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Stop beating up on the Gophers! Good luck on your push to the Rose Bowl

12. BDSDIGITAL

2011 in review:

We finished 10-3 and rebounded well after a few tough losses to Florida and Texas respectively.We went on to run the table in the Big 10 including a big 28-10 win over Michigan to lock up our 2nd consecutive conference title.

We lost in the Rose Bowl however and finished the season 10-3 ranked 7th in the nation.

Last year was a tough year on many levels. Losing Pyror and Herron to the NFL were killers as it turned out. Basuerman never played well in any of our big games and we are happy to be moving into a new era of Buckeye Football.

13. BDSDIGITAL

2011 Season Preview:

With a bitter sweet 2011 behind us, we are very excited for the beginning of the 2012 season.

Offense: We will be staying with our traditional Ohio State offense. RS JR Kenny Guiton will get the nod at QB. Kenny is an average passer, but is very mobile and will open our playbook up some.

At RB we are very excited at what Jamaal Berry can provide. Jamaal is a SR and is on the Heisman watch list. Jamaal finished 5th in the voting for the Doak Walker award even after only playing 7 games so we are excited to see what a full year will look like. If he can stay healthy we expect a big year, possibly a historic season.

The WR's are all very skilled and should have good seasons. Duron Carter returns from a season ending injury suffered week 1 last year and is our go to receiver. Our best receiver might actually be TE Jake Stoneburner. Jake is great in the run game and the pass game. By the end of the season, he might be our mvp.

The O Line is pretty new, but very skilled and should provide fine protection for Guiton and Berry. We have to replace to top draft picks in Mike Adams and Michael Brewster however.

The Defense will utilize a multi look playbook mixing 3-4 and 4-3 depending on circumstance.

The front 7 might be the strength of the team with no one rated lower than 90. We are excited to have Storm Klein and Micah Wolfe bot hon the field at the same time at MLB. Andrew Sweat is also finally getting his time to shine at OLB.

The secondary comes back basically intact including All American CB Corey Brown. RS FR SS Joey Payne is the youngest starter but is very skilled and should fill in nicely replacing Nate Oliver.

All told this is a team that has National Championship capability and might be the best team I've coached yet in this dynasty. Big road games at UCLA and at Texas loom large to start the season. then week 3 has the Florida Gators coming to the horseshoe for the home opener. In what is apparently going to be a down year for the Big 10 we will have week 13 in our focus which is a trip to Ann Arbor to play the Wolverines. That game could decide the conference title, and could make or break our season.

14. BDSDIGITAL

Week 1

#7 Ohio State 42 @ #18 UCLA 14

We get our first win in the Rose Bowl this year.

The first half was very sloppy by both teams, especially us. Turnovers kept UCLA in the game 14-14 at the half. The 2nd half was a Mid 80's Mike Tyson esque ass beating.

QB Kenny Guiton really struggled for a while, but turned it on late going 14-27 for 212 1td and 2 picks. He struggled bad enough to get benched at the beginning of the 2nd half in favor of freshman Leonard Jackson. Jackson threw one pass and broke his toe. He'll be ready if needed next week.

The real show was Jamaal Berry.

[​IMG]

Due to our inability to pass, Berry got the bulk of the plays for our offense and went Buck Wild. Jamaal had a career day with 38 carries for 258 yards and a td. Carlos Hyde had 3 td runs on 3 goal line carries. On defense we played very well at times. We gave up some yards, but were able to limit UCLA to 3-13 3rd downs, forced 4 turnovers, one for a td, and made them completely one dimensional by giving up 28 yards rushing on 20 carries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all it was a good debut. We had to fight back and find a way to generate offense when things weren't clicking and were able to be very successfully, so that's a good thing.

The game ball goes to Jamaal Berry though. You'll be able to find him on a Heisman list near you soon.

Next week is a make or break game going to Austin to take on the 2 time defending champs. For us to be successful in this game we must do the following:

a. Pound the rock successfully
    b. eliminate turnovers
    c. control the line of scrimmage

If we can do these three things we have a chance to vault ourselves into Championship discussions, end a very long winning streak for Texas as a whole, but also their win streak at DKR.

For now though, we sit at #7 1-0. That's good enough for this week.

15. BDSDIGITAL

So, Texas won 31-21.

Pretty frustrating game really. I didn't figure out how to slow Texas down until the end of the first half but I was already down 24-7. I brought it back to 24-21 and forced him to punt it back to me with about 3 minutes left. I made a few first downs and got it to about mid field and took a sack off of a dime DE contain play making it 3-20. I almost completed a pass for about 18 yards but was big hit and dropped the ball, couldn't convert the 4th down and Texas punched in another score running the clock down to make it 31-21 which is where it ended.

Jamaal Berry is hurt for 11 weeks so his season is pretty much over. That sucks.

It's not all bad news though, as I figured out how to stop the short passing game that has plagued me since day 1 on this game. After I adjusted my defense Dru had a very hard time getting anything going. I look forward to trying the new defensive strategy for a full game against Bravejaf who runs a very similar offense.

It was a good game though. I wish I would have used the defense I used in the 2nd half in the first half, I probably would've won...woulda coulda shoulda I guess.

Although this game was a heartbreaker for sure, we have no time to hang our heads. We have our home opener vs. Florida next week and are looking forward to that game. That is a MUST WIN.

Now we sit at 1-1, but it's about as good of a 1-1 as you can be.

No word on who will start at RB next week vs. Florida. Hyde and Hall will split carries most likely and we'll keep giving it to the hot hand.

16. BDSDIGITAL

Ohio State 41 Iowa 10

The offense struggled again at times with turnovers, committing five. I guess that's what happens when you start a true freshmen QB. Jackson threw picks for 3 of the 5 turnovers. Guiton threw another one in relief that went back for Iowa's only td.

At times though Freshman Leonard Jackson put on a freaking clinic.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FXbjmxQypM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8FXbjmxQypM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Jordan Hall had another big day going 31 -189 yards and 2 tds.

Duron Carter went off catching 4 balls for 178 yards and 2 td's. One of those td's was 91 yards.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEq5UJX_SNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEq5UJX_SNk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I rolled out like that because I was about to scramble out of the play when I saw Carter break wide open going the other way. Jackson put it right on the money.

POTG on Defense was James Woods 7 tackles and a pick on Iowa's first drive that set the tone.

We now sit at 4-2 and have a night game at Indiana then a huge game after that at Happy Valley vs. the #11 Nittany Lions.

BTW if the videos are getting obnoxious I can just put them in my team thread and leave them out...

17. BDSDIGITAL

Buckeyes 48 Penn State 17

They threw two pick 6's and we were up 17-0 with like 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter. The passing game though is struggling big time as they threw 5 more fucking interceptions. Kenny Guiton is officially third string and if I could cut him I would. Jackson is just going through some growing pains so he's forgiven. Really it's the best thing for the team to let him get some experience now. He's already a 86 overall and will probably enter his sophmore season well above 90 overall.

Hall had 200 all purpose yards and a few scores to help our anemic offense.

It's all good though. A win over Michigan State next week will pretty much guarantee us a 3rd consecutive Big 10 title. really We need to beat Purdue the week after but they are sorry.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVxAUBb1JEE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gVxAUBb1JEE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.