"The Chosen One" Quits High School For J.C.

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

"The Chosen One" Quits High School For J.C.

When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'

But not quite this soon.

On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father announced that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself.

It's a controversial decision, to be sure, but Ron Harper says he and his son are prepared to hear from the inevitable haters.

Alittle Info In case You Never Heard of Him........

Bryce Harper (born October 16, 1992 in Las Vegas, Nevada) is a baseball player who has been described as the presumptive first pick at the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He played for the Las Vegas High School Wildcats before leaving 2 years early to pursue a professional career.[1][2] He's been called "the LeBron James of baseball" by Sports Illustrated.[3]

Harper stands 6 foot 3 inches tall and weighs 205 lbs, and was already 5 foot 10 inches when he was only 12 years old. [4]

Harper is a catcher, but also plays third base and pitches. He hit a 570 foot home run over "the right field fence, two trees, another fence, a sidewalk, five lanes of traffic on elevated South Hollywood Boulevard and yet another sidewalk, until it finally landed in the brown, undeveloped desert."(from Sports Illustrated issue June 8, 2009.) He also hit a 502 foot home run during the 2009 International Power Showcase, a home run derby for top prospects held at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg. The shot traveled over the big screen.[1]

He is also the first high school sophomore to be named a first team All-American by Baseball America.[5]

In 2008, Harper batted .590 with 11 home runs and 67 RBIs in 38 games for Las Vegas High School.[6]

In 2009 Harper had a .626 batting average to go along with 14 homers and 55 RBIs.[7]

Harper will take classes at the College of Southern Nevada over the summer and receive his GED in the fall, which would make him eligible for the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft.[7]

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    570 ft!? Good god. I can't even run that far without being winded...

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

If you happened to read his ESPN cover story, his stats are ridiculous and his talents are off the charts. He's owner of the longest homerun ball ever hit at Tropicana field in Tampa Bay, home of Evan Longoria, and it would have gone farther but it hit the back wall at 502 ft.

I can't help but wonder how much HGH this kid has been pumped with. It would be awesome to witness such a great talent in our life time if this kid is suppose to be like the next Hank Aaron but with all the things that happen now adays with supplements and science, you have to wonder.

As for him leaving high school, I'm not sure that's a great idea. Couldn't he just do some kind of accelerated home schooling that would allow him to get his degree in 1 year instead of 2? At least that way if he got hurt he'd still be able to get into a good college.

4. GoGators

You forgot to mention:

He throws a 96 mph fastball

&

Scored on past balls 4 times last season. FROM 2ND BASE!

Catcher's aren't suppose to be that fast.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    It is high school, though. And he isn't exactly in 'baseball country' up there in Nevada, so I would think his competition is somewhat suspect.

If he has taken supplements, it will be easy to tell in a few years when he can't take them anymore. If I had that kind of talent, I would graduate early too. Screw waisting my time in a poor public education system when I could be making money elsewhere. It's not like you can fall back on a high school degree anyway.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Good for him....he is 1 in 10,000,000. He has a gift.....roll with it. Try and capitalize on it asap. Someone always breaks the mold. I wish him all the luck in the world.

7. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

They had a segment on that HBO sports progam that I caught part of last week about the extreme lengths parents force their children to excel in various sports.

Scary stuff. Like pumping 8 years with HGH and hormones, making them practice constantly to the point their joints are worn down so much they look like a senior citizens, etc.

Poor kid.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

If by chance he's a prodigious talent, to me it makes no sense to just have him bash other high school kids for two more years or whatever... Hopefully he's not a roid monster. Seems to me, the average kid on steroids would still be nowhere near as good as this kid. Maybe it's freakish talent + roids.

9. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Well, we do not know that he is being forced to do anything (go pro i mean)

Also, I am sure he loves baseball; who wouldn't if they were hitting 500+ homeruns.

As far as supplements...there are nothing wrong with legal supplements like creatine, protein, etc.

But HGH, yeah. If he is taking that he is an idiot because he is for sure going to be tested and the will catch it. So, I guess we will find out.

10. GoGators

yeah, the kids definitely a freak. My favorite part of the article on him was that

A) his favorite ball player is Pete Rose because of how he played the game. He doesn't wear batting gloves because he isn't soft. (much different from todays pre madonna athlete who is concerned as much about his looks then his performance).

B) They asked his mom when she knew he was special and she said it was during a tournament he went to play in on the east coast with a traveling team. (These teams routinely call him offering to pay for his plane tickets and expenses if he'll come play with them for the weekend. He averages 180 games played per year)

The mom said it was because during that weekend he called her and she asked how things were going. He replied good, the teams doing well and that was it. A little while later his coach calls his mom and asks if she has talked to him. She says yes. The coach says well did he say anything. She says no. Then the coach goes on to tell her that in the tourney so far the kids gone 12 for 12 with like 11 homeruns and one double.

Who in the world doesn't brag about this performance???

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

The scariest quote Ive heard so far..........

Reporter: What Are your Dreams In Life?

Harper: I would like to Enter the Hall Of Fame one day. I would also like to be known as the " Greatest Baseball Player Ever" and I want to Play at Yankee Stadium in the Pin Stripes"............(n)

Well, he will be drafted by the Nationals and start complaining 2 years later that he wants out....Oh, and Scott Boras is his agent...yeah

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

holy shit

13. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

I saw this article the other day then youtubed him. Kids got talent. No way he'll be a Catcher much longer though. And the 570 yd HR, No way. They measured it like a year later. I don't believe it. If you crushed a 570 HR in a game, then at least 1 of you HR in a HR Derby would be like 540 or something, not 504.

14. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

Man, is baseball missin this today! I hope this kid is for real.

15. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

If he has taken supplements, it will be easy to tell in a few years when he can't take them anymore. If I had that kind of talent, I would graduate early too. Screw waisting my time in a poor public education system when I could be making money elsewhere. It's not like you can fall back on a high school degree anyway.[/QUOTE]

No doubt. I think I would probably do the same thing. 590 ft? That's ridiculous. I hope the kids on the level, but it's hard to believe most in baseball are on the level really anymore.

16. jfosh

jfosh Super

He looks legit. I dont know about the 96mph throwing.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/liS3kGvQ9Bk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/liS3kGvQ9Bk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

17. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

the form is rediculous. bat speed = 104mph!

i like the little thing he does with his front leg to time the pitch

18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    hope it translates with the wood bat.

19. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I was thinking the same thing about the bat. Don't get me wrong, he was putting some mustard on those and his swing is awesome but 500ft with an aluminum rocket launcher is probably closer to 435 with a real bat. Some of those balls straight took off though. Impressive.

20. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Carlos Delgado is getting old... I think my Metties could use a kid like this :D