The Coach's Corner

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by I Peench, Jul 26, 2011.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Jul 1, 2010
    RMG Weekly Coach Interviews

2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Jul 1, 2010
    Coach: Kasper​
    Team: Oregon State​
    Current Record: 1-1​
    W vs Boise St​
    L @ Maryland​

(actual rendering of Coach Kasper)​

Tell us a bit about why you chose to accept the job offer at Oregon State?
    I like to take middle to bottom tier teams and essentially build them up, but honestly national championships are rarely on my mind. I'd almost rather win 8-9 games a season, but spring an upset and ruin other people's shots at a title. Oregon State was kind of a good pick, I want to do something like they did to USC a few seasons back.

Can you give us some insight into how you run your offense/defense? Some favorite formations?
    The best way for me to describe my offense would be "vanilla". Ask JFace, I don't do anything very fancy on offense, and rely on a running game and my defense to win games. I bank on creating one or two turnovers and taking care of the ball on offense to get my wins. On defense, I try my best to make my opponent one dimensional. I play a ball control offense, so its really about minimizing how many drives my opponent gets. I also try to not give up the big play and make my opponent put together 8-12 plays to score.

What are your teams overall strengths and weaknesses?
    Offensively, I think my wide receivers are the strength. I hardly ever need more then 3 at a time unless I'm in shotgun, and my top 3 are pretty good. It would be nice to have a better running back, but beggars can't be choosers. I also have some solid young talent out there too. Defensively, the secondary is probably our strength. The front seven needs to get better otherwise teams like Oregon, Utah, and USC will run all over us.

How do you plan on addressing these weaknesses both now and down the road?
    Well in regards to running backs, its just about recruiting the kind of running back for my system. Also recruiting the offensive line accordingly will help there. I may look into letting my secondary be more "out on an island" to focus on helping with the run. Really in my eyes it gets to a point where those front 7 need to man up and stop the run.

Who is your most impactful player on offense and defense?
    Offensively I have to go with senior WR James Rodgers. He is the best player on the team and has some great speed and the best hands in the Pac 12. As the season progresses we will figure out more effective ways to get him the ball and which ways will work. On defense FS Lance Mitchell does a great job of playing center field which is essential in my defense. You could see a lot more cover 1 to let my SS help with the run more while Mitchell patrols the middle.

What are some basic recruiting strategies you use?
    I pretty much stick to my pipeline states unless I am something like top 5 on someone that is interested and they are worth it. There is a 4 star HB I am pursuing at the moment that first this criteria, but I mostly stick to my pipeline states and people that have my at least top 5 when the season starts.

Who are the players OSU is targeting the hardest?
    As I stated there is a 4 star running back that I would love to land. Also, me and Kapono are going to fight over a talented DE all year I think unless one of us pulls away. There is also a 4 star wide receiver that I'm excited about.

What game down the road are you most looking forward to?
    Two words: Civil War. Also, the game vs Kapono will be a lot of fun.

You took a tough loss to JFace's Maryland team. What did you do that game well, and what are some areas of improvement?
    The defense played very well, held Maryland to something like 280 yards I think. Offensively, I won't win any games the way I run my offense if we turn the ball over 4 times. Our QB Ryan Katz knows he has to play better for us to be where we want to be.

Overall, how do you consider your chances of a conference title year 1?
    We are fully capable of winning a conference title. I think the game vs Boise State showed our guys what we are really capable of. It will just be a matter of if we execute our strategy, and if the ball bounces are way a couple times.

Thank you for your time, Coach Kasper. Good luck to you this season.

Join us next week on C.C. as we stay in state and get a chance to sit down with Oregon's main man, Mike E
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kasper

Kasper Mr. Embolo

Apr 12, 2010
    The rendering is way off guys, Peench I was clearly wearing a black hat...