The Cowbell: Mississippi State Football Blog

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by _MG_, Jul 22, 2012.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Mississippi State
    Football Blog
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    TIME TO SHINE
    MSU looks to Russell to rebound from disappointing 2011
    [​IMG]
    The 2011 football campaign was a disappointing one for Mississippi State. Picked to be a sleeper in the SEC after a big 2010 season, MSU faltered offensively and had to win the Music City Bowl against Wake Forest just to finish above .500 on the year. The Bulldogs finished just 2-6 in SEC play in a season in which many picked them to make some serious noise. With last years disappointments behind them, the Bulldogs turn their attention to 2012 where expectations, while lower than in 2011, are still high. Head Coach Dan Mullen has announced Redshirt Junior Tyler Russell their starting QB as the team looks for a more pro-style offense in which they aren't so dependent on the run game to gain yards.
    Russell has a stronger and more accurate arm than last years starter, Chris Relf, and put his talents to display in wins over Kentucky, UAB, UT Martin and in tough losses to rival Alabama and South Carolina. One thing that may help Russell succeed is the abundance of senior wide receivers the Bulldogs have returning, including Arceto Clark, Chris Smith, and Chad Bumphis. Add to the equation the talents of running back LaDarius Perkins and this offense should get back on track in 2012.
    Defensively, almost all of the Bulldogs secondary is returning, including standout CBs Jonathan Banks and Nickoe Whitley. The Bulldogs defense, as with most SEC teams, was its strong point last year. MSU held opponents to under 200 yards in the air and ranked 4th in the SEC in points allowed per game, at just under 20 a game. Impressive numbers, but in the gauntlet that is the SEC, it wasn't enough. Josh Boyd should give a good push on the defensive line, and Cameron Lawrence should help lead the linebackers. The defense should be stout, so it will really come down to how Tyler Russell and the offense does against the defensive titans in the SEC.
    Optimism is cautiously high in Starkville, MS as the Bulldogs look to rebound from the disappointing 2011 season. They have a new motto this year. "Giant Killers". Look for MSU to try and slay the giants of the SEC with a more balanced offense and lock-down defense in the coming weeks as football season gets in full swing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    SLOP-FEST IN STARKVILLE
    MSU 38 North Carolina 24
    [​IMG]
    In what was projected to be a defensive battle, North Carolina and Mississippi State combined for over 60 points and 700 yards, including 34 points scored in the 4th quarter as the Bulldogs held on for a 38-24 victory. LaDarius Perkins stole the show for MSU, rushing for over 200 yards on 30 carries. A spectacular performance was capped off by an amazing 48-yard scamper in the 4th quarter to pretty much put the game away.
    North Carolina had a rough outing, as they dropped many easy catches in the first half and their starting quarterback got knocked out early with a concussion. They fought very hard to get back into the game, very nearly getting the ball with a chance to take the lead late before a moronic play by their defensive end forced the refs to call roughing the passer and gifted MSU a first down late. The Tar Heels redshirt freshman QB did as best a freshman QB on the road against an SEC opponent could possibly be expected to do. He kept North Carolina in the game all the way to the end, even throwing an impressive hail-mary type touchdown as time expired in the 4th.
    Great Game Nathan Lowe , I got many breaks in this one.​
    Just as a note, there were 4 total missed field goals in this game (3 by MSU 1 by NC). Our kickers really looked horrible lol​

• Like Like x 2
  4. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    MSU Team Leaders through Week 1:
    OFFENSE:
    [​IMG]
    QB Tyler Russell 10/17 180 yds 2 tds 0 ints​
    [​IMG]
    HB LaDarius Perkins 30 att 226 yds 2 tds​
    [​IMG]
    WR Arceto Perkins 2 cth 95 yds 2 tds​
    [​IMG]
    TE Malcolm Johnson 3 cth 46 yds 1 td​
    DEFENSE:
    [​IMG]
    CB Corey Broomfield 4 tck 2 ints​
    [​IMG]
    OLB Cameron Lawrence 3 tck 1 sack 1 ff​
    [​IMG]
    DE Shane McCardell 2 tck 2 sacks​

• Like Like x 3
  5. Flyinhi2005

Flyinhi2005 Walk On

nice write up

• Like Like x 1
  6. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME
    Nick Griffin steals the show in 31-21 upset over #25 Auburn
    [​IMG]
    Fresh off a 200+ yard performance against North Carolina, LaDarius Perkins went down in the first series against #25 Auburn tonight in Starkville. The crowd went silent and all hope was lost, but if only for a few seconds. Insert sophomore running back Nick Griffin. One-hundred and ninty three yards and two touchdowns later, Griffin put on an all-time great Mississippi State performance against SEC foe Auburn in a game most thought the Bullldogs would lose even WITH a healthy LaDarius Perkins.​
    "I just tried to go out there and emulate LaDarius, man. He has been a great mentor in the film room and on the practice field for me, and I went out there and I played." said Griffin on the field after the game, adding "This game was a statement tonight. We ready, SEC. We Read."​
    MSU sure looked ready, shutting down Auburn's offense most of the game with great secondary play and, to everyone in the SEC's amazement, a high powered offense centered around a power running game and aggressive throws. Tyler Russell continues to flourish this season, completing 11 of 13 passes for 191 yards and 2 more touchdowns. He looks to be just what the Bulldogs needed this year, as this offense has gone well over 350 total yards in two straight games against two very good defensive schools. The running game has been one of the best in the nation early on, both games rushing for over 200 yards.​
    The Mississippi State Bulldogs look to continue their impressive play next week in a road game against Troy.​

• Like Like x 1
  7. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Bulldogs Run Over Troy
    Offense stays hot, defense struggles in 47-21 W on the road
    [​IMG]
    Coach MG had this to say after the game...​
    "Not much to say here. We did what we were supposed to do against an under matched Troy team, and, quite frankly, I am very disappointed with my team after this game. Our defense got torched by Troy's quarterback and we failed to meet some of our goals, including forcing a few turnovers.​
    Our QB got beat up by Troy's defensive line, and I had to tell Russell to stay on the sideline for most of the second half. Our running game really saved us and got it done. I am so impressed with our backs this year, even with LaDarius Perkins hurt we had two young kids absolutely put on a show tonight.​
    Still, like I said, very disappointed in the defense. We will need to play MUCH better next week if we want a shot to beat a very good, well-coached Cincinnati Bearcats team. We will have a good week of practices and I think we will come out with more focus next week."​

• Like Like x 1
  8. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Bring On The Big Dawgs
    #24 MSU goes 2-0 in SEC play with destruction of UK
    [​IMG]
    This game wasn't even close, as expected. Mississippi State went on the road to Lexington and ran right through the Wildcats 47-3. A healthy LaDarius Perkins, back for a full game for the first time since week 1, was a huge spark for the offense which really did whatever they wanted throughout. Defensively the team recorded 8.5 sacks, the most in a single game against an SEC opponent in MSU history. Coach MG had this to say afterwards.​
    "Good game, great game by our team. Defense performed up to our standards, and our offense did too. Would have liked to not have seen that interception in the redzone on the first drive, but who am I kidding? We just beat the snot out of an SEC school. On the road, no less. I am beyond happy. We can't celebrate too long, however. We got probably the biggest game of the year coming up against a highly ranked Tennessee squad. We got lots of recruits coming down to watch the game. If this game against the Vols isn't must-win, I don't know what is. We will be ready."​
    BULLDOG OF THE GAME:
    HB LaDarius Perkins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    MISSISSIPPI MIRACLE!
    Bulldogs stun #12 Tennessee in epic 4th quarter comeback 36-29
    [​IMG]
    What a game! This was an SEC battle if there ever was one. The Bulldogs, behind a superb running game took a 14-10 lead into halftime. The Vols defense regrouped and did nothing short of shutting down the Bulldogs offense the whole 3rd and most of the 4th quarter. A Vincent Dallas touchdown catch and a field goal gave Tennessee a deathgrip 29-14 lead 3:58 remaining in the 4th quarter.​
    But it wasn't over. Coach MG called a timeout before the kickoff and talked to his whole team. The speech was recorded on video.​
    Arceto Clark would return the kickoff for a 92 yard touchdown, and after a successful 2-point conversion the lead was cut down to 29-22. After a 3 and out by the Vols, Tyler Russell hit Ricco Sanders for a 49 yard touchdown ON 4th DOWN and 20 to tie the game at 29.​
    After YET ANOTHER STOP BY THE SUDDENLY FIERCE BULLDOG DEFENSE, the Bulldogs had the ball with under a minute to play. After a nice drive, the clock was ticking and the Bulldogs had a decision to make. Should they try and get into field goal range, or try and catch the Vols off guard and go for a touchdown... this decision was made much easier after Mississippi State got called for holding on a play in which LaDarius Perkins looked to have gotten into field goal range for the Bulldogs. Coach MG called timeout again. He told his quarterback "I don't care what you do, I want you to air this ball deep. I believe in you. Go out there and win us the fucking game!".
    And Russell did just that, connecting with senior WR Chad Bumphis, releasing the ball just as he was being crushed by 2 Tennessee defensive tackles. Bumphis caught the ball and ran it 62 yards, all the way in to give the Bulldogs a 36-29 lead with just 8 SECONDS LEFT TO PLAY!​
    After a squib kick, Tennessee had one hail mary left. With 2 seconds left on the clock Vols QB Tyler Bray threw it up. With about 4 Vols wideouts and 4 Bulldog defensive backs all huddled around each other at the 20, the ball came in. It dropped to the ground after a swat from Jonathan Banks...and the game was over.​
    This might go down as the biggest win at home in MSU football history, not just because it was against the #12 team in the nation, an SEC rival. The way this team showed enough heart to dig themselves out of a HUGE hole against a GREAT team was just stunning. Today, we are all proud to be Bulldogs.​
    RING THE COWBELLS BABY!