The Daily Husky

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by chopper393, Jul 20, 2013.

1. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

[​IMG]
    The Washington Huskies showed the nation that they are ready to compete this year with a 56-12 blowout of #18 Boise State. The 2013 season started with a bang as WR Dwayne Washington took back a 105 yard kickoff return to start the Huskies season. Keith Price looked to be in his 2011 form rather than a disappointing 2012 shadow, throwing for 3 TDs and rushing for another.​
    WR Kevin Smith was on the receiving end of two of those touchdowns, one a great throw over the top, and the other off of a bubble screen while showing of some nifty moves.​
    The 2nd string was in for the 2nd half and they impressed as the defense held BSU to the same amount of points as the first team did. As good as Keith Price was this game, Frosh QB Cyler Miles may have been even better. He broke a pair of 56 yard runs after juking the safety out of his shoes.​
    Coach Warren Moon was asked if their would be a QB battle discussion after Miles' play: "We know that Cyler is very talented, and will give him more looks, but Keith threw the ball really well today. I will be running both at the first string in practice, will certainly be looking at them hard during the bye week,and then will make a decision from there."​
    As Coach Moon said next week the Huskies will be off, but will be preparing for Illinois in week 3 which will be played at a neutral site(not really as it is at Soldier Field in Chicago).​

2. Cgreen214

Cgreen214 Walk On

I attribute the Keith Price down year of 2012 to that years coach. Good ole Roggie.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Week 3
    [​IMG]
    WR Kevin Smith dominated his matchup all day long to the tune of 244 yards.
    The Washington Huskies traveled to Soldier Field and returned victorious with a 56-14 win over the Fighting Illini. QB Keith Price once again had a decent day throwing 3TDs, but also 3 Ints causing coach Warren Moon to again think about benching him for a more athletic Cyler Miles. Two of Price's ints were not his fault, but they still could have been better throws. Price found WR Kevin Smith early and often as he torched the opposing cornerback on two plays for TDs and then found the soft spot in the zone on a flood in the second quarter for a third.
    The defense also played well with DE Josh Shirley sacking Nathan Scheelhaase 3 times. The Husky D terrorized him all day, until the second string came in and then he started to break loose. Coach Moon was asked about only giving up 14 points on the road: "Well, you really can't ask for much more. We would have liked to keep Scheelhaase out of the endzone all day, but it is tough for the second string to go up against such a talented quarterback."
    The coach was also asked for an update on QB Cyler Miles: "Cyler once again played well today. He could have ran for even another TD today, but decided to pull back and just give himself up. I think that shows maturity, maturity that may be rewarded. Next week he may get some looks against Texas State so we can see how he throws the ball."
    Next week the Huskies host Texas State.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Week 4
    [​IMG]
    Cyler Miles' first pass in college was a 49 yard TD to WR Kevin Smith.
    The Washington Huskies were back home hosting lowly Texas State in week 4. They used this game as a tune-up game for next week against Arizona. Coach Warren Moon decided to give Frosh QB Cyler Miles the start this week. Miles rewarded Moon's decision with a TD pass on his first throw and then continued to play well going 19/32 335yds 5TDs 1Int. His lone interception was on a great play by the Texas State FS who out jumped everyone and just made a play on a deep ball. QB Keith Price ran the second team well, and didn't looked phased about not getting the start.
    Both QBs were asked about the situation after the game:
    Cyler: "Well the past few weeks I feel I have got a rhythm down and just wanted to show that I could continue to do that. I just went out there and played my best, and hope to get the opportunity to continue to do so in upcoming games."
    Keith: "I have nothing against not starting for this team. I made a few bad decisions last week, but I don't think it has cost me the starting job. Both of us will have to be ready to play next week and we will both prepare like we will be the starter against UofA.
    Finally, Coach Moon was asked who will take the first snap next week: "I'm not sure yet. Both have their pros and cons and we will continue to evaluate them both in practice. This week both will get first team reps, and the starter will be declared on gameday. It actually reminds me of another certain West Coast QB controversy that happened this year in the NFL and we all know how that worked out. Right now we will just get back to practice to prepare for a tough Arizona team."
    Next week the Huskies will face Ka'Deem Carey and the Arizona Wildcats in their first Pac-12 action.

5. Cgreen214

Cgreen214 Walk On

I like how that corner is distracted by some cheerleader on the sideline instead of trying to make a play on the ball lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Week 5​
    [​IMG]\​
    CB Marcus Peters had one of the 4 picks by the Husky secondary.​
    The Washington Huskies defended their home turf and came away with a 45-17 victory over the Arizona Wildcats. The game was much closer than the score indicates, and had it not been for 4 picks thrown by QB Jesse Scroggins the game may have come down to the wire. The big story here was Cyler Miles getting the nod as it looks like coach Warren Moon will be sticking with him for the rest of the season.​
    Coach Moon was asked about the decision after the game: "Well, he certainly made me nervous...throwing the first pass into the stands, but then he settled down to play a very well rounded game."​
    Miles had 225 yards with 2TDs and added another on the ground. HB Bishop Sankey was able to take a lot of pressure off of the young QB by bruising for 91 yards and 3 TDs.​
    On the defensive side of the ball, the Huskies started out rough. But then defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox lit a fire under them and the Husky secondary came up with 4 interceptions to help the offense get back onto the field.​
    The Huskies have a rough stretch ahead of them, traveling to Palo Alto next week to face the #3 Stanford Cardinal, then hosting #4 Oregon the following week.​

7. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Week 6​
    [​IMG]
    QB Cyler Miles was throwing darts all day long in Palo Alto.​
    Washington traveled to take on the #3 ranked Cardinal this week. It looked to be a very tough game to start, as Washington's first two possessions ended as three and outs when they were unable to get Bishop Sankey going at all in the first half. So the Huskies decided to switch it up and throw the ball around the yard, and did they ever. QB Cyler Miles was the hero, making beautiful throws on his way to 6 TDs. ​
    However going into halftime the Huskies did not feel very well even though they were up by a TD as most of their offense was attributed to big plays while Stanford controlled the clock and pounded the ball into the endzone. So at halftime, coach Warren Moon gave a halftime speech that motivated the Husky defense to shut the Cardinal out in the second half. Coach Moon was heard saying to Miles coming out of the locker room, "We need you, this team needs you, and I believe in you."​
    Miles responded by having a career game on the way to defeating the Cardinal 56-21.​

8. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

Wow, Cyler Miles is a machine right now. And who knew Chopper was gonna be good again...:p

9. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Week 7​
    [​IMG]
    WR Kasan Williams was the star today, but a blown call by the refs left him without a TD on the day.​
    The #4 ranked Washington Huskies hosted the #2 ranked Oregon Ducks in this one and it looked like it was going to be a shootout...in the first quarter. Both teams were on the board within the first 3 minutes of the game. QB Cyler Miles then added a short TD run to end the 1st quarter after WR Kasan Williams was denied the TD(don't know how, but the game has done worse things). On Oregon's next drive came the deciding factor in the game. Star QB Marcus Mariota took a vicious hit on a sack by Shaq Thompson and would not return to play. This really put a damper in the Duck's offense as they would never recover to score more than a FG the rest of the way, as they would lose 13-52.​
    Coach Warren Moon once again tried to get the running game going early, only to find that the exotic blitzes by the Oregon defense put a stop to that. So he turned to his star QB Cyler Miles to air it out. Miles was smart enough to figure out the blitzes by the Ducks and found his safety blanket in WR Kasan Williams.​
    We asked Cyler about Oregon's gameplan, "Honestly, I know I'm not an experienced QB, but having such a reliable receiver like Kasan makes it very easy to get the ball out quickly. As to why Oregon kept on blitzing, well you will have to go ask them."​
    Coach Moon was asked about his aerial attack, "It reminds me of what I used to do here. When the defense comes out and decides to be over aggressive, and yet we can get the ball out quickly, it really makes for a crisp passing game. I think Cyler knows he is surrounded by talented recievers, and has the ultimate amount of trust in them that they will catch the ball just about anytime he throws it."​
    The Huskies travel to Arizona State next week to take on another phenomenal QB in Michael Eubanks.​

10. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

11. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

How the hell does that WR get double the catches of the next highest guy every week. He is not that good ratings wise. 15 catches vs Oregon 6 for the next guy damn. I need me one of them guys. My guys just let the ball hit them in the face

12. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

I throw to who is beating their matchup and getting open. One week it is Kasan Williams(who catches everything), the next Kevin Smith(the speed demon), and the next TE ASJ. I threw a lot vs Oregon as they blitzed probably 75-80% of the time and Kasan beat the press repeatedly so he got the ball.

And don't you have one of them guys...#VadLee :)

13. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

I mean I do have one of those guys #VadtoWR but unfortunately it seems like the CPU is either locking him down or he is the only guy open. Do you not feel bad feeding a guy the ball 15 times at WR. To me that is to many catches.

14. chopper393

chopper393 Walk On

Trust me I love nothing more than to run the ball, ask any of the guys that I've played with in the past, but just haven't figured out how this year. So I've went to a pass happy offense. My top two receivers have 45 and 30 catches with my TE having 20. I think I do a good job in spreading the ball around. I don't try to get the ball to a certain receiver, just reading who is open. That one game is more of an outlier than the status quo.

• Like Like x 1