The Deuce 2012

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Shaun Mason, May 19, 2011.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Coaching Carousel?

Yes thank you.

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

OK NOW ITS TIME TO TALK ABOUT FORMAT :)
    [​IMG]
    It can be hard getting excited for an annual football franchise. Sure, there will be new players, new mechanics, and a new sheen to everything, but in reality, isn't it just the same thing as last year? In the case of NCAA Football 12, the answer is "hell no."

We already know that the presentation in NCAA Football 12has been amped up this year with team traditions, the Georgia bulldog sitting on the sidelines, and so on. Still, there's a lot left in this story, and it's yours to write -- particularly in the game's Dynasty mode.

NCAA Football 12 Video Preview

One of the first "professional" video game articles I ever wrote was bitching about how my alma mater Mizzou's coach was a fat ass in the NCAA games but not in real life. Well, five years after publishing that insightful editorial, EA and Tiburon have responded and given players the ability to create their own coaches from scratch. You can modify looks, set ages and even pick an alma mater. Save these changes, and you can share them with the world and every mode in your game.

That stuff might sound cosmetic, but it plays into the cool changes in Dynasty mode. When you start, you can choose to go be the head coach of whatever school you like, but the real challenge is taking on one of the new offensive or defensive coordinator slots and working your way up to running an entire team. Yes, this year you can be one of the assistant coaches and manage just one side of the ball for entire games. Do well, and the shot at a head coaching job might pop up.

Monitoring how well you're doing comes down to dynamic meters and annual goals. As your boys perform on the field, you're going to be able to see how satisfied your school is with you. That's not entirely new, but the change here is that each goal you're assigned has a different weight. Winning your division is going to mean a lot to a smaller school, but Ohio State's going to want that and a National Championship.

At the end of each season, the coaching carousel pops up and shows who has retired, who has been fired, and who has taken another job. This is your chance to see how things shake down for the school you really want to go to. Your prestige is obviously what schools are looking at when offering you a contract, but if you're alma mater is on the market, it'll be more attracted to you and likely to cut you some slack if your prestige isn't rocking. Similarly, if your coach is getting ancient, don't expect people to be beating down his door with offers.

I was a big fan of online Dynasty last year, and applying these coaching options to a group of friends is what really gets me excited. A Dynasty where we all start out as offensive or defensive coordinators puts a new spin on the competition, but it's far from the only tweak. When you setup a Dynasty, you have control like never before -- you can make and break conferences.

Now, sure, you could customize conferences in NCAA Football 11, but that was really just a swap. You could switch a team out of a given conference, but you had to put another in its place. This year, you can do whatever the hell you want. You can take the Big 12 and drop it down to four teams or go nuts and crank it up to 16. You can set it so that your conference only plays weekday games, name the divisions, and even mess with who gets to go to which bowl. NCAA Football 12 gives you the keys and lets you drive the game wherever you want it to go.

[​IMG]
    Simming a game from a PC will look like this.
    I can't wait to see what this means for my online Dynasty with friends, but there are even more bells and whistles in that vein. Whereas last year I could go on the web at work and recruit players for my console-based team, this year I can go on and simulate games against the computer where I'm actually calling the shots. Rather than have to play the AI when I get home, I can play the game from my work PC -- pick plays and even sub in players. I can watch the on-screen dots (it looks like when you watch a football game on summary on ESPN.com) move down the field during conference calls and make progress for my Dynasty. The league commissioner can even advance the week via the web this year.

I like NCAA Football as a series, but before, I felt like I could skip an iteration of the franchise if I had just bought the last one. I have NCAA Football 11, and there's no doubt I'm getting NCAA Football 12. The changes EA has made this year speak to what I've wanted out of the game for so long -- customization. I can't wait to start an online Dynasty with my best friend and work our way up from lowly offensive coordinators to a National Championship coaches.

Plus, not having a really fat Mizzou coach by default will be sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I got SMU kthksbye

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I have my reservations about this but certainly want to go this route regardless.

Is the goal to work our way up to top tier teams or is the goal to get to a certain level then build them up or.... what rules do we put in place?

Starting teams will be very important - end team as well. How do you decide on user games and who ends up in what conference etc etc?

5. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

It'll be tricky. I'm interested to see what Drifter's take on all of this is.

6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Same, I am cautiously optimistic. If guys were getting bored with a 3 conference set up, what will happen if we all get job offers from schools all over and no one plays each other? Excellent stuff dont get me wrong, just gotta make sure it works right.

Are we starting as 1 or 2* with the idea of moving up? or go the mid range route? Custom conferences (I know sanders and shaun hate them) or keep it standard.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Yea, please don't screw with conferences unless someone takes a team in the MWC and turns them into a juggernaught...THEN maybe move them to the Pac-13.

As far as scheduling...you have 3 OOC a year usually. I think most people will want the competition and stay grouped together.

I realize I am probably the minority that doesn't care if I am in the NC hunt every year. I got beat down as Duke for a while, but it is fun as shit to be the underdog.

8. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I'd also prefer not to mess with the conferences. I think we could make it work as long as we keep 2 users in a conference at minimum and schedule mostly OOC games against users. I don't really care who I take... I doubt I'd make a national title even with a good team and I prefer build ups anyway. This could definitely be a fun addition if we find a way to make it work.

9. Emmdotfrisk

Here is a starting point, to start thinking about if a coaching carousel format is something we would like to do:

We pick teams from the large regions of the US. So either West, South, and North. We have 4 pick starting schools in West, South, and North. So it would keep the dynamic of going to war against each other recruiting wise and still have the rivalries as a 2 conference battle. This is just a starting position to think about if a coaching carousel dynasty is something we want to do. Here is a run down of teams that could be available by region...

SOUTH
    FIU
    FAU
    UCF
    North Texas
    Rice
    SMU
    UTEP
    Arkansas State
    Western Kentucky
    Mid Tennessee St
    UL Lafayette
    UL Monroe
    Louisiana Tech
    Tulane
    Southern Miss
    ECU
    Tulsa
    Memphis
    Memphis
    Marshall
    UAB

WEST
    SDSU
    San Jose St
    Fresno St
    Wyoming
    Air Force
    Colorado St
    Idaho
    UNLV
    Utah St
    New Mexico
    New Mexico St
    Hawaii

NORTH
    Northern Illinois
    Ball St
    Central Michigan
    Eastern Michigan
    Western Michigan
    Buffalo
    Akron
    Bowling Green
    Kent St
    Miami U
    Ohio
    Toledo
    Temple

10. Keller

We can only modify the conferences at the very start of the league I thought - we can't modify them every year right Shaun? Maybe I'm mis-reading your post.

In the end I probably prefer a 2 or 3 conference setup but tahts just me - maybe we base our setup off of everyones "goals?" So my goal is to eventually take over the Buckeyes (just as an example guys.) Then at least 1 other person should have a goal of ending up in the Big Ten. Or something like that?

11. Keller

You guys KNOW how I feel about Buffalo....

12. Emmdotfrisk

I believe you can dynamically change conferences every season.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

If we go this route I'd love any of these:
    North Texas
    Rice
    SMU
    UTEP

Or houston unless they are too 'good'

14. Emmdotfrisk

Houston may be a bit too good for you mustang...

15. Keller

Flexibility is ideal - NICE

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

cant see the vid, but what you talking about? your gtech boys humbled my bulldogs earlier this year

17. Emmdotfrisk

18. Emmdotfrisk

We will have to sit down and decide what prestige certain guys in the Duece have to start with. For example OM, JR, BBJ have to take 1 stars ect.

19. Keller

Being new I have no clue what prestige I should start out as. I don't want to start out low and suck forever but I dont want to start out high and everyone bitch because I'm winning.... its like a lose lose... shit.

20. Emmdotfrisk

We talked about this before and we all have a pretty good idea of how good everyone is at the game. Tope Tier players are: OM, JR, BBJ, Sanders, Mustang, Shaun, Drifter. Lower Tier: Me, Goose, Khaalis, Bond, Keller.

Looking at it this way I would assume Top tier have to select no higher than a 1 star and lower tier cannot select higher than a 2 star. There can be some exceptions for people to choose 3 or even 4 star teams.

21. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

You just being nice without naming Bondzai specifically? :)

22. Emmdotfrisk

haha, bond takes some shit about his game, he doesnt need any additional shit talking from me haha

23. Keller

I think I'm probably pretty average honestly - like I said - lose lose situation.

24. Emmdotfrisk

you will find that the competition is quite high in the deuce. There are a lot of really good players in here, the rest of us are average.

25. Keller

Screw it then - I'm terrible. I demand a 3* team, lol.