The Diet and Exercise Section

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by KnightNoles, Jan 23, 2013.

1. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

1/23/13: CB topic discussion of the early afternoon and a place to discuss diets and exercise of what people are trying to do with their lives and then our member "experts" of exercise science to weigh in on them with help, tips, tricks and etc...

(y)

• Like Like x 3
  2. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

DaMeffodMan

LOL @ P90X.

I got a DVD rip of that yeeears ago when it first started buzzing. Watched a couple of videos and cringed at the thought of my out-of-shape ass trying to do it. lol. So i ordered the P90 without the 'X'. hahahaaa. It's manageable to be honest, and my main problem is the psychological drive and determination to do it.

Equipment wise, i have absolutely nothing right now, but will be ordering a set of Powerblock Dumbells once i've saved up enough.

I've heard about 'gram per Lb of protein' bit. But i'm pushing 230 last time i checked. That's a lot of protein for one day. Why is it recommended that you match the two together like that?

EDIT: Oh, and my goal is to tone up rather than gain size/mass. I feel i have a the framework, just gotta chisel it up. But really, now that i'm older, it's more of a health/energy thing. Most days i just feel so dam lethargic and hate that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

I hardly match my protein intake to me weight, but I think it'd recommended to just because protein is the best thing for your body to gain mass. The bigger you are, the more you need. But the gram per pound rule is probably more of a rule of thumb for body builders than anything else. I'd say as long as the meals you eat are more rich in protein than anything else, you'll be good. Wouldn't hurt to get a big jar of casein though. It's slow-acting protein which is good to take before bed so when you sleep your body is still getting protein. It's important because you tear muscles down when you work out, they build up when you rest. Sleep is the best form of rest. Should make sure you get your 8 hours. After the 5th hour of sleep is when your muscles grow. The brain releases something for it to grow or some shit like that lol, but I've read about it and heard it from body builders too.

Don't get discouraged with the P90X. There are people who look completely in-shape who can't do but a portion of each exercise the first couple times. A lot of the workouts in the P90X are things most people have rarely done in their life time.

It can be hard to get going some times. I'll be playing games and putting off working out, but then I'll think, "I play this shit every day, I'd rather get in better shape." Some days it doesn't work lol, but I've rarely missed days. Like I said, in six months would you rather be saying, "I'm glad I started working out six months ago" or "I wish I started working out six months ago." Before and after pictures can help you keep it going from month to month. Journals or your lifts and what you can accomplish workout wise can as well. If you take pics, then workout hard and consistently for a month, then take pics again, it will give you motivation to keep going to see better results. You will see it in the mirror though as long as you are putting in real effort. You'll see it in the way you feel though as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

Hopefully this thread keeps going

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

• Like Like x 2
  6. DaMeffodMan

DaMeffodMan Walk On

Remember that if you are using the P90X to tone, not lifting heavy on the side to gain mass, the diet provided is the most important part. You can get away with cheating heavily on the diet if you are going more for mass, lifting heavy on the side, and going hard in all your workouts.

I eat like a slob, but still see results every week. Going to be changing my diet here in a month and a half when I move to New York though. Gonna be on the beach all summer long.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I love p90x and I agree with everything you've said.

Its not a body builders workout by any means (if thats what you're looking for its not gonna work).

It does however absolutley shred fat AND give you toned defined muscle. Great at transforming your body. Simple and laid out for you.

I can attest to the diet too. The times I've done it I haven't follwed a strict diet, just tried to eat cleaner and you will still see results. If you follow the diet though exactly you're gonna see SERIOUS results.

8. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

BMR +500 calories to gain lb a week
    BMR -500 calories to lose lb a week

• Like Like x 1
  9. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

This ^ is my intention, but i'm also looking to focus on endurance and strength. I'm assuming that they sort of come included with the package?

10. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Yes. You won't gain strength like you would doing heavy lifts in a gym (presses, squats, etc). But you will shed fat, tone, and build strength and endurance in all areas IMO.

11. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

already feeling ousted due lack of knowledge with the fitness glossary.

Was going to ask but figured i'd ask google instead and found this....

....Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the number of calories your body burns daily without your having to do anything. Your body uses around 75 percent of the calories you eat each day just to maintain life and perform basic functions. You expend energy just to breathe, build new red and white blood cells, tone your muscles, pump blood throughout the body, think, raise or lower your body temperature -- even while you're sleeping. Any activity you do in addition to these natural functions also requires fuel in the form of calories. If you eat more calories than your body metabolism needs daily, you will gain weight. There are 3,500 calories in every pound of body fat. That means that if you eat 500 calories more per day than your body needs, you will gain one pound every week....

How well described would you guys say this is?

And yes, i had no clue what BMR stood for. I'm guessing i have a HELL of a long way to go. :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

discovered through random conversation at work, that one guy has an educational background in fitness and health. Used to be a Personal Trainer and recommended that i check out some Charles Poliquin dude.

13. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

For pure weight loss I would strongly recommend the Atkins diet, or better known as the low carb diet. I have been on this diet since early October. Younger I was always active and always playing sports but eating unhealthy and loving good beers caused me to acquire a decent stomach. Just strickly dieting and minimal exercise for three months I was able to lose 40 pounds and 4 inches in the waste. Just recently I have started lifting weights and exercising more!! One of the best decision I have made for myself..

• Like Like x 1
  14. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

Nice thread.. I would recommend Insanity to anyone looking at a DVD workout that you can do on your own. The biggest benefit to that one as opposed to the P90 is that you only use your body as opposed to equipment, so you can literally do it ANYWHERE. I use that myself when I can't make it into the gym.

As far as my fitness level, I compete in triathlons/marathons annually so I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to fitness. I follow something of a Paleo/Zone Diet mix for nutrition. 5x5 program for weight lifting/ strength training and I try to incorporate some Crossfit WOD's atleast 2-3 times a week.

15. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

• Like Like x 2
  16. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I would love to know more/get into crossfit but so much equipment is involved for some of the workouts from what I gather. It seems like a great idea though.

17. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I have P90X but im old (38) so i have started lifting weights and continued cardio 6 days a week to work my way up to it. I started writing down everything I was eating and i stopped drinking two pitchers of beer a weekend. I felt great when i bought it and did it for two weeks, rolled my ankle walking the dogs and made it black and blue and fell out of shape again.

I bought a kegerator but have not had a beer out of it yet. We cheat one day a week usually fridays or saturdays. I have dropped about 5 lbs in two weeks and my clothes are already alot looser.

In addition to tracking my food intake I am also tracking my exercise etc. We take off every thursday to give our bodies a break. Right now i am trying to reduce the amount of carbs (breads, etc).

I plan on following this thread.

18. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

That's great to hear. Especially being the same age, and i take insult to it being considered 'old'. lol

My eating habits are pretty much care-free. Snack and eat whenever. no set schedule or form of diet, so to hear that you feel better already is incentive.

19. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I downloaded an app for my phone called daily burn and paid $5 for an app where you just scan the barcode of the food and it tracks everything for you. I also use it to track my exercise, how much i lift, etc. Amazing how different i feel when i have yogurt for breakfast vs a bagel with cheddar cheese and bacon lol

20. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Crossfit is expensive and you can do most of the exercises in a regular gym. Or just use any combination of exercises in the same regiment. The Crossfit gyms in the Houston area are clicky at best. Typically people who have money who are in there to workout and feel good about themselves. They get real pissy when a new guy joins and smashes all their times while lifting more weight...

Crossfit.com has a WOD that is a really good plan to stick to if you aren't good at coming up with a workout. They have a library of videos that show you different exercises. The key to whatever you are doing is intensity and sub-setting. I have friends that spend 1 - 1.5 hours in the gym. That's TWO workouts for me. I typically warm up with 8-10 minutes of cardio and then lift for 30. If you limit your rest and time in between sets (by sub-setting other exercises) your lifting will double as cardio. As you gain muscle mass your body will become more efficient at burning calories during this regiment.

I also like googling different soccer player workouts. For those who don't know, they are the fittest and most intense athletes in the world. I can't do most of them, but they give me a framework to design something tailored to me.

Just some advice.

• Like Like x 1
  21. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

My fitness pal on the iphone does that with the food scanning and its free.

22. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

My fitness pal on the iphone does that with the food scanning and its free.

23. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Do you do the crossfit WOD a lot? Or is that just a suggestion for someone looking at it?

24. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I have tons from my college days, if you're so inclined.

25. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I do it once or twice a week. I'm training for soccer right now, so my workouts are targeted towards certain groups. But when I'm just trying to get into shape or building strength they are a good thing to follow. Most people struggle with trying to figure out what they are going to do when they get to the gym. They end up wasting time.

• Like Like x 1