Archived The Draft Review

Discussion in 'Pushing for Paydirt' started by MartyWebb, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Come on come all, welcome to the first Draft Review show, about the first draft in Pushing for Paydirt, the first Online Dynasty to sweep the nation in both content and genuine manliness. We've learned a lot over these last few weeks with one another, for instance............nevermind. I was going to start this off like a Comedy Central Roast, but I'm drawing blanks like Danthraxxx shoots them.

We'll start here :

Teams Selected In Order - Teams Overall/Offense/Defense/Prestige Rating

Oregon Ducks - 99/94/95/6:1stars:
    North Carolina Tarheels - 91/89/87/4:1stars:
    Virginia Tech Hokies- 95/88/99/5:1stars:
    Washington Huskies - 93/92/86/4:1stars:
    Oregon State Beavers - 79/81/76/2:1stars:
    USC Trojans - 99/99/91/6:1stars:
    UCLA Bruings - 87/88/82/2:1stars:
    Miami Hurricanes - 91/88/89/5:1stars:
    Florida State Seminoles - 97/92/95/5:1stars:
    Clemson Tigers - 97/95/91/5:1stars:
    Utah Utes - 95/92/91/4:1stars:
    N.C. State Wolfpack - 91/89/87/3:1stars:

The Oregon Ducks, selected first overall by Danthraxxx

[​IMG]

MartyWebb: Without a doubt, if there was a team you could choose where you could implement your system, and regardless of that system still have the horses to carry you to a successful season, the Oregon Ducks are it. With the overall talent, a balanced pro system, spread option system, triple option system and/or all of the above can be successful. The question is with their sometimes wacky uniform combinations, can Danthraxxx lead them to the top of the league consistently, helping them overcome that loss to Auburn in the BCS National Championship game not too long ago? I feel that pick wise, Danthraxxx gets an A+, because as I mentioned before, the roster is situated in that he'll never have to rebuild, only reload for whatever system he chooses to run.

sawemoff: With the #1 pick of the inaugural PFP draft Danthraxxx set the stage with his pick. His top 5 choices varied in their offensive scheme but the fast paced, option spread Oregon Ducks was the one chosen. With the facilities, uniforms and home crowd Coach Danthraxxx should not have a problem bringing in the recruits. As mentioned by many analysts and if anyone had watched the LSU game last year the Ducks in need help on the line. If the Ducks cannot hold blocks or get off blocks speed does not mean anything. Overall Coach Danthraxxx did a wonderful job starting things off. Grade- A

Baron: Don't get me wrong, they certainly were high on my board (before I knew I would be hosed by Cheez's shenanigans that is) because of the system I run and I'm sure Danthraxxx will run circles around people but they aren't an "any system any time team" because of something Dan himself pointed out: They need to get better in the trenches. Still, Danthraxxx get's an A+, in part, because the chick for Oregon looks like she could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

The North Carolina Tarheels, selected second overall by I Peench

[​IMG]

Baron: It's tough to judge these drafts because of the immaterial factors. It's easy to look at Jamarcus Russell and say "lol terrible" about that pick. In contrast, these drafts aren't just about talent they're about connections and teams you want to play with and make better. But, fortunately for Peench, the team he wanted for all the immaterial reasons is no slouch either. A 4* team can definitely bring in premier talent right away. And at 91 overall, there's no reason to think UNC can't compete right away as well. Grade is B+.

sawemoff: With the #2 pick of the draft, this one was a no brainer. Coach Peench has never been ashamed of his Tarheels even through the misconduct allegations under Butch Davis. This team has shown promise and they have had the talent but not the leader. The only thing that will hold back the Tarheels in year one will be their 4 star prestige. Look for a couple of BCS Bowl appearances to get the best athletes in the nation to go there. With an underrated offense and defense Coach Peench looks to bring leadership and integrity back to Chapel Hill! Grade- B

MartyWebb: What might be deemed as a homer pick, simply because of I Peench's dedication to that university, in the broader scheme of things really isn't a bad pick. There were several options, number wise, that may have given Steve the oppurtunity to contend sooner, but home is where the heart is, after all, right? Wrong. With Virginia Tech, Virginia, South Carolina, Clemson and not to mention the 3 other ACC North Carolina schools (Wake Forest, NC State, Duke,) Peench will have to go outside of the state lines to get some real talent. His pipeline better well be in Florida, because if he can only get the best of North Carolina, then he'll have to lean on his coaching ability to rise to the top of his division, and maybe eventually his conference. The Fedora Spread Option will be a first for UNC in some time, and some of Butch Davis' leftovers might translate well to that system, but growing pains are in the future for the Tarheels, I'm giving I Peench a B-, and if he wasn't a UNC fan in the first place, may as well give him a C.

The Virginia Tech Hokies, selected third overall by DerekC

[​IMG]

sawemoff: Gobble, gobble, gobble. When Coach DerekC selected his top 5 you knew he was going big and not going home. Stanford, Clemson, Florida State, and USC were the others among Virginia Tech. DereckC could not go wrong with any of these teams as he selected Virginia Tech for the #3 overall pick. Who would not want to start off with a 99 rated defense???? With an offense that still is not half bad Virginia Tech should stay at the top of the ACC. I am not sure if DerekC knows what a Hokie is but he will right after his tenacious defense scores for the first time. And yes I believe the defense will score before the offense will. Grade- A

MartyWebb: While I don't know what Derek C does with an offense or defense, I know what he can now do with jerseys, which will be some stunning combinations come game time. Great looks aside, this defense will buy just about anybody enough time to get the offense down where they want it, something the Hokies haven't done in real life since Marcus Vick. As a 5-Star Program, Virginia Tech outweights most everyone on the East coast within two states, and if they stick to their Coast line roots, they'll have enough speed to make Miami look slow. To end the first fourth of the draft, by picking arguably one of the best teams in the draft is always a win, so for pure value Derek C gets an A, but I do see growing pains being a problem with that offense.

Baron: 99 Overall defense and 5* prestige? Yes please. And at 88 offense, there's no reason to think that DerekC can't win 17-7 each and every game. If any defense has the talent to take on the firepower of the ACC and PAC-12 squads (as well as the SEC, Big-12, and Big Ten computer squads) it's Virginia Tech. Grade is A+

The Washington Huskies, selected fourth overall by JFace907

[​IMG]

MartyWebb: Being from Alaska, you're sure to slip up and make some poor decisions based on inexperience with the 'real' world. Picking a team because their mascot is an Alaskan Malamute? Kind of a silly proposition, and a flemsy bullet point. How about drafting a team that you've had success with before? That's more like it. JFace907 has run his system with the Huskies before, and had success with them. Plus, at a 4-Star Prestige, they really control their own destiny in the Northwest Recruiting grounds while Oregon tries to raid the South. I believe this is, so far in this draft, the smartest choice. Pick what fits, and JFace907 fits the Huskies, and the Huskies fit JFace907, allowing me to grade this selection as an A, but the creativity as a C.

Baron: Again, tough to judge these drafts because a lot of why X person chooses Y team is purely subjective. Apparently JFace has had some success with the Huskies previously (and has a weird feitsh for the mascot) and that can be a huge mental factor for somebody. Like Nadal on clay against Federer or Manning and the Giants vs. the Pats in the Superbowl. I know for a fact that if I ever do a CC dynasty again, I'll use FIU. Why? Because I had success previously. Still, sometimes it's fun to get out of your comfort zone. Especially when the likes of USC, Clemson and FSU are outside your comfort zone. Grade is B.

sawemoff: Their defense was awful last year and it has not been improved that much but the Huskie's offense is the heart and soul of this team. Coach JFace907 will try to prove that defense's does not win championships by themselves. With the #4 pick of the PFP draft he selected the Washington Huskies. Coach JFace907's offensive philosophies fit well with this team, but he will need to use the recruiting pipelines to his advantage to bring in some defensive help. This team should be deadly and will cause a lot of problems for opposing defenses. Look for Washington to be in the running for a National Championship within 3 years. Grade- A

The Oregon State Beavers, selected fifth overall by sawemoff

[​IMG]

Baron: You know, when I began writing this entry, I thought I'd try and hedge my bets: no need to piss anyone off, lest they utterly destroy me come game day. But screw that! Let's have some fun: This pick was terrible. The Beavers, really? At 5? This is like Seattle taking Bruce Irvin at 15. Surely UCLA could have been a project without being the Beavers? I mean, we can't judge teams on talent and pipelines alone, I get that. But this is an absolute head scratcher. (I'm sure this post will be quoted when Sawmeoff destroys my Utes in Week 7, but totally worth it). Grade is D.

MartyWebb: Normally, based on value, I'd put this straight up as a D-. Well, that is normally, instead we have a guy in sawemoff who wanted a rebuild. A program that by the end of our 8, 10, or maybe even 12 season run, that will be serious title contenders and won't have to continue robbing from the rich. The home field advantage has caused upsets to happen in Corvalis, and that halloween-y Orange and Black look so nice! With his run first attitude, and 'try and score on me' killer defense, sawemoff inherited a team that should fit the mold perfectly. Based on what he wanted going into the draft, and what was available, short of MAYBE Duke, he nailed it. I'm giving this one a B, just because if it fails, it'll BE because of Danthraxxx at Oregon.

sawemoff: This pick probably scratched a lot of the other coaches heads as teams like USC, Clemson, Miami, and Florida State was still on the board. With the #5 pick Coach Sawemoff chose Oregon State. If you knew Coach Saw, you would know he likes to rebuild and hates starting out with talent. With the top 5 choices being Oregon State, Duke, UCLA, Stanford, and Clemson people thought he would go with Stanford knowing he liked the pro-style scheme. His top 3 stunned the league as everyone now knew he was going to rebuild anyone of the teams. Oregon State fits well with their run first offense but Coach will have it rough trying to get his defense up. If the Civil War game goes in favor of the Beavers look for the rebuilding project to take 5-8 seasons, if not COach Saw might have bit off more than he could chew. Grade- C

The USC Trojans, selected sixth overall by Bulldog

[​IMG]

sawemoff: With USC still out there Coach Bulldog did not waste anytime selecting them as the #6 pick in this years draft. Why would anyone not pick one of the best teams in the nation? I guess the better question is how did USC fall this far but anywho the Trojans will have high expectations this year. After serving their probation period they are now able to go to a bowl game, everyone is thinking they are National Champion contenders in year one. With the next Heisman winner in Matt Barkley the Trojans are loaded on both sides of the ball. The only team that could possibly give them fits in year one would be the Oregon Ducks. Recruiting should not be a problem being located in Los Angles and they look to reign as the best team in California. Grade- A

Baron: If sawmeoff was Seattle at 15 with Bruce Irvin this is New England at 199 for Tom Brady. Arguably the best team in the game not named Alabama, Bulldog becomes an instant title contender with this pick. Grade is A+

MartyWebb: Could be the best team in the game out of the box, but with great power comes great responsibility. I think many were hoping USC wouldn't get picked, so that we could all pound Lane Kiffin and drive the program into the ground. Not so fast my friends, Bulldog/Zach and his balanced attack won't have any issues to start with. He could let the computer call plays for him, and there's a 90% chance based on talent alone that he'd win most of his games at least the first season. I'm going to give him an A+, firstly to make this short so I can get to the most important pick in the draft, and second to give him a false sense of security when I play him every season.

The UCLA Bruins, selected seventh overall by MartyWebb

[​IMG]

MartyWebb: I, like sawemoff, wanted a rebuilding project. Maybe not one that is as hard, but one in the least. What I want to do though, isn't take a team from the bottom and make them a contender, but put a team in their rightful place. UCLA is that for me, ever since Troy Aikman sported the Cowboys silver, I've had a soft spot in my heart for UCLA. They've always seemed like a top teir program that never could stay at the top. That's my goal here, and I'd give myself an A+ for getting the team I want, but instead, will grade myself out as a C based on what was out there that I could have picked team wise.

Baron: Probably the most intriguing pick in the entire draft. UCLA has the potential to either crash and burn or become a dominant program out West. A lot is going to depend on that first season for MartyWebb, because staying at 2* prestige will be murderous on the recruiting trail. At 87 overall with an 88 offense, if MW is good on the sticks, UCLA could rocket up the recruiting list. Having to compete with users in a crowded California pipeline might hurt. Grade is B.

sawemoff: With one of the California teams gone another one was chosen wit the very next pick. At #7 and USC's counterpart UCLA was picked by Coach MartyWebb. UCLA is definitely a work in progress and it will take a few seasons for them to make noise. Some alumni have been quoted saying, "Coach Marty was the right choice but he sure does have his hands full." He might be in trouble but he has one thing going for him, The Rose Bowl. THE ROSE BOWL is where the Bruins play their home games and with the powder blue uniforms that has to attract some of them hippies out there, right? If they stick to their strengths look to see them upset a big contender at the end of the season. Grade- C

The Miami Hurricanes, selected eighth overall by Bucs

[​IMG]

Baron: Incredible value down here at 8th, not just in terms of talent already available. It'll be a war fighting over that lucrative Florida pipeline between Bucs and Mike E (and really everyone in the ACC) but Miami has the stuff to compete right now and recruit its pants off. Can Bucs bring back the 33rd NFL team of Dorsey, McGahee, Vilma, Reed, et. al? Grade is A.

MartyWebb: We all know who wanted them, and despite some intentional head fakes, Bucs knew he'd get them. We were pulling for you buddy, just make sure not to reward us by going undefeated every year, that wouldn't be cool. While it might be the least shocking pick in the draft, it also could be considered one of the best when you factor in the Florida pipeline, the already good roster, and the familarity with the program. However Bucs, because of the lack of creativity here, I'm giving you a C just like I gave Peench.

sawemoff: Another amazong team fell through the cracks and found its way to a great Coach at #8. Coach Bucs is a huge fan of the Hurricanes and could not wait to select. I can only imagine how frustrating it has been for Bucs to watch his favorite team just keep falling more and more behind Florida and Florida State. Also with the accusations and a NCAA investigation lingering over the school Coach Bucs wants to get rid of the Thug U mentality. He definitely has the athletes to show the nation how good they are but do they have the demeanor to keep their heads on straight off the football field? This is team is going to fast and will fluster opposing teams. The ACC is starting to get really tough with the uprising of Clemson, Florida State and UNC so they will need to find a way to stay with those teams or it will be a rough decade. Grade- B

The Florida State Seminoles, selected ninth overall by Mike E

[​IMG]

MartyWebb: I do feel bad, that his number one pick might not of been here, but I also am jealous that while on vacation he didn't have to endure the countless flirting between Baron and Cheez. Seriously Mike, the sexual tension was burning. So instead of getting Wazzuu, you go in the complete other direction. Literally. From Northwest to Southeast, and from shitbag to stardom. You got the best quality late, and while I won't hate on that, I will note that there was still some other rebuilds available. Despite it all, I'm giving you an A for quality.

Baron: As said by the Dear Leader, we WERE all shocked that FSU was still around at 9. Not so shocking is that Mike E jumped at the chance to have one of the fastest teams in the game, with one of the best recruiting packages in the game as well. Again, really going to be interested to see who wins the recruiting war between Miami and FSU. Grade is A.

sawemoff: At #9, just like with picks and 7, another Florida team would be chosen. Coach Mike E went to Florida State to keep Coach Bocs on his toes and give them Hurricanes hell. The resurgence of the Seminoles has been in a work in progress and Coach Mike E will try and keep them going in the right direction. This team already has what it takes to get to the Conference Championship game but will the injury bug strike once again? Having a great location and 5 star prestige will help keep Florida athletes in Florida, but they will have to work hard going against Miami and Florida. The stadium will be tomahawking and the coaching staff will be ready so look for a lot of success for years to come! Grade- A

The Clemson Tigers, selected tenth overall by RedZoneD25

[​IMG]

Baron: Honestly, Clemson falling to 10 may be more shocking than USC falling to 6. This team might be the most overrated in the game (91 defense after giving up 70 points in their bowl game, lol wuht?) but does that matter? Not when you have weapons like the Tigers do. The Tigers were actually number 1 on my board and to see them fall to just before me... Grade is A+

MartyWebb: Our gamechanger, RedZone, chimes in here late. Cheez didn't get the memo, apparantly, that GCers get special privileges, so it'll hurt Danthraxxx to know that he'll be swapping teams before the start of the season. In all seriousness, RedZone, behind Mike E, probably grabbed the best quality considering the place he picked. While some think they may be overrated, he'll be able to walk in and have a great chance to win now. Derrick.....or was it Dave? I'm going to go ahead and say his name is Dalton. Dalton gets a A+ on his pick, finding quality after a quantity of other teams off the board.

sawemoff: Brain Dawkins was the key for the #10 overall pick. Coach RedZone is a huge philly sports fan and this choice was painfully obvious after his top 5 was released. This team has come out of nowhere and is one of the top teams in the nation. The spread option is deadly with the right type of players and Coach Swinney has given the right equation on a silver platter to RedZone. Clemson will be a very fun team to watch especially when they square off with the Florida teams. The defense is only rated 91 but I guarantee they will be playing at a 99 rating. I truly believe the defense will be carrying this team more than the offense. Death Valley #2 is loud, has a lot of tradition, a great fan base, and where top tier teams die. This was a great team to pick. Grade- A

The Utah Utes, selected eleventh overall by Baron

[​IMG]

sawemoff: Can you say steal???? Utah fell all the way to the 11th pick and for good reason, no one wanted to turn into a moron... I mean Mormon. Coach Baron decided to take the plunge and not only looking to change his religion but to change the Utes. After struggling in their first year in the PAC conference they are wanting to make a statement. The statement being that they can hang with the big boys and that the 2009 Sugar Bowl win over SEC powerhouse Alabama was no fluke. Recruiting could be difficult with only being 4 stars but it could be get a lot worse if they play like they did in year one in the PAC conference. Grade- B

Baron: What else can be said that hasn't already about this genius of football, this paragon of virtue, this purveyor of offensive wisdom and wizard of wondrous defense? Despite a nefarious plot by an odious, cowardly brigand, that shall remain nameless, Baron still lands a home run for talent right now, recruiting, and scheme matchup. Truly, there has never been such a perfect pick in all of Pushing For Paydirt's history. Grade is A++.

MartyWebb: Possibly the most anticipated pick in the draft, Baron selects the Utah Utes. While his love/hate relationship with foreign currency and Cheez likely wasn't the inspiration for this pick, this will be a pick that he will love. They come with a ready made roster, that while sometimes undersized, should be able to fit the mold to whatever he wants to do with them. They also will have a chance to compete in the PAC-12 South with a User USC standing in his way. Despite the good pick, with Arizona State on the board, Baron could at least have looked better in their attempt to dominate the south. I'll slap a B+ with this pick, really because I need some variety and everyone can't get an A.

The North Carolina State Wolfpack, selected twelfth overall by papaloke

[​IMG]

Baron: I'd so desperately hoped to be rid of Papaloke forever when I left Fourth Horseman for PFP, alas it was not to be. Like the Joker, he stalks and mocks my every move. And with NCSU Wolfpack he has a really talented squad in which to do it with. Mercifully, there is now the padded cell of the ACC to keep him away from my Utes. Grade is B+.

sawemoff: With the last pick Coach paploke had slim pickings but made the best choice in selecting his team, NC State. The Wolfpack definitely misses Russell Wilson and are hopeful with Coach paploke. It seems like forever ago when NC State was ripping through the ACC left and right. The past is the past and Coach paploke knows to look forward in building this team. They have the talent their but will paploke put this team over the top? As everyone also knows NC State is on a down slide so the biggest question in Raliegh, NC is can he stop the bleeding? Give him a couple of seasons to make this team a contender but if he decides to gut this team it may take him awhile. Grade- C

MartyWebb: Let me get this out of the way now, I can't see your username Papaloke, without thinking of a 90s Luchador wrestler. That's a good thing, by the way. So Papaloke will bring his over the top moves, and high flying offense to the state that's wedged between South Carolina and Virginia. This isn't your father's Wolfpack, it's your father's son's Wolfpack, with us being the sons, obviously. That being said, with some pieces missing, this team will likely allow Papaloke to compete early, but his recruiting will have to carry him throughout the season with I Peench adopting Butch Davis' recruiting techniques. Viva La Wolfpack! Oh, and a B- because Maryland would've been so much fun to look at.

So that will do it, for the Inaugural Review Show Report Card for the Inaugural Pushing for Paydirt Draft. That's not too long of a title, right?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Great stuff, you guys are awesome...I'm really going to enjoy this league.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
  5. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RedZoneD25

RedZoneD25 TSO Social Media Coordinator

Dalton! LMAO, great work guys.

7. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

That a boy saw- powerhouses are for bums.

9. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I predict papaloke will make you pay for the poor draft grades. Dude was a recruiting beast in 4th horseman with university of alabama! And im not talking tuscaloosa, im talking Alabama - birmingham chumps! Seriously though, he'll be fine at nc state both on the field and on the recruiting trail.

I Peench put those chumps in the peanut gallery on nc state's schedule!

:)

Nice work guys, your league is shaping up nicely

• Like Like x 1
  10. I Peench

You and Baron have hyped papaloke 's abilities up big time. Pressure's on my man! I hope you're as good as you say, will welcome good competition in the state of North Carolina.

11. I Peench

So are sleeveless tees

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Not when your a ripped jock douche like i was.

13. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

There, I fixed it!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Nah, now I'm just an overweight unathletic douche.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

This thread is delightful.

16. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

I know right? Thanks for putting the target on me! Everyone: don't get your hopes up, I"m great at not reaching my full potential.

17. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I read as I was wearing my sleeveless tee. :(

18. I Peench

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

i know im late, but... so is the OC!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I'm confused.

21. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

**sigh** i was implying that the OC was for bums as well.

22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Ah see I interpreted it as we were tardy for something-- well played Bucs.

• Like Like x 1
  23. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

:( not all of us are bums. lol