The Draft

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Oct 22, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to participate in the Hark Knocks draft run by BobJr. I was filling in for Cole Copeland and it was a great chance to get to see how Bob runs his draft and how the process worked overall.

Here are a few things that I took from their draft that I hope we can implement as well. I'd also like to get your guys' thoughts and opinions on how we can make this the best possible experience for the VFL.
    • The draft started promptly at 6pm and lasted just under 3 hours. This sounds pretty typical.
    • They have a full 32 team league and I believe everybody showed up. If we still have a few CPU teams this could shorten the process a little.
    • We used a Skype conference call and had as many as 15 guys on it at one time. I believe they also had an AIM Blast going as well. This seemed to help facilitate trades and overall communication.
    • Although some guys said later that they did not feel there were a lot of trades, I was actually surprised by the number of teams that made deals to move up and grab "their" guy.
    • Scouting plays a HUGE role. Cole took over the Falcons very late and was not able to get much scouting in. It was VERY, VERY hard drafting blind. You should spend all of your recruiting points every week to be safe.
    I, personally, would love to do the Skype call. It was fun to associate a voice with some of the guys I had known from the forums or other leagues. It was also interesting to see how dedicated some of these guys were to their teams and their draft boards. I'm not big on AIM but have used it before and would be open to that as well as I know guys like woodsmall are shy with people they don't know ;)

I know we are a few weeks away from our draft, but I thought it would be good to start planning out what we are going to do and how we can make it the most enjoyable experience for everyone. What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

I feel like most people are more comfortable with AIM. I think we should only have one open, either Skype or AIM so we don't have half in one room and half in another.. Does that make sense?

3. majesty95

There were guys that were in both. I don't like AIM myself because the messages pile up and you try to go back and catch up on what you're missing and new messages are coming and it gets overwhelming. But I know others like it so I'm open to it. I'd prefer Skype, personally, but I know not everyone is comfortable with that and not everyone would participate. That's why I think having both as an option is appealing. You can do one or the other, or both.

We don't have to use AIM either. We could do a mass PM with everyone included. I'm sure there are other ideas too. Figured this would give us plenty of time to sort through all of our options. :)

4. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

All I ask is the draft to be on a Sunday night!! That is the only night I know for sure I am off of work.

• Like Like x 4
  5. majesty95

That's when they did theirs. I think that's probably going the best night for most guys. It was funny listening to some them react to the games that were going on (End of Sunday's games and NLCS) during the draft through Skype lol

6. woodsmall

woodsmall Walk On

Agree with Cole, we only use one format to keep everyone on the same page ... i have no idea how skype conference works so I would like to know more about it first ... I think verbal dialogue may only prolong the call but who knows (guess we are still on a timer so that wont matter unless majesty keeps pausing it for his bathroom breaks) ... I wouldn't want my trades aired out on the free market so I'd prefer to take a personal route via PM

And we are only allowed to trade picks right, not players?

7. majesty95

During the draft you can only trade draft picks. I believe the first two round were 2:00 per pick. The rest of the rounds were 1:30.

So on the Skype call basically Bob called each of us (we had given him our Skype name previously). On the screen it has a box and screen name of each person on the call. Each time someone talked it highlighted their box so you knew who it was. It was pretty cool actually.

As far as trades, there were several that happened that we did not expect on the call. So those were done through AIM, text, TSO or just in the game. During each pick, each player has the option to click a button to try and move up for that pick. So, if you were quick and the guy with the pick didn't know who he was taking, you could theoretically send ur trade proposal and swap picks if they agree. I think it would be easier to notify the person a few picks ahead of time though that you may be interested.

Later in the draft, when there were 8-10 guy on the Skype call, there were a few trades made when one guy would say "hey I'm interested in moving up would you take x,y,z?" and then Bob would pause so they could work it our quickly. That is they key though, working the trades out quickly. We were rarely paused for more than 30-60 seconds and that was just a handful of times.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MarkyMark67

MarkyMark67 Walk On

I don't know much about either the Skpye or AIM, but I think it would help durning the draft( I like to trade alot). It would be good for the league.

Doing the draft on Sunday night would be great also!!!

9. MarkyMark67

MarkyMark67 Walk On

Did you have access to the next year draft picks, to offer up in the trades on draft day?

10. majesty95

Yes

11. LLCoolGrey

LLCoolGrey Walk On

im open to anytime for the draft

12. Cole Copeland

I just would ask that we have the draft in the MORNING on a Sunday

13. Cole Copeland

Or atleast lunch time ish

14. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

will be at church..why not saturday? everyone will watching the games that day anyway...

15. majesty95

Saturday is not good for me. Sunday is a pretty common day. We just have to iron out a time.

16. Cole Copeland

Saturday would be great IMO. And bigtubb_ you're still in church around 12-1?

17. majesty95

Saturday is not an option. Sunday works for most people so we will roll with that. We just need to decide on a time. Hopefully one in which everyone can participate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. majesty95

Cole do you work at 4? I'm open to starting around 1-2. It's not going to be perfect for everyone but whatever fits the majority...

19. Cole Copeland

Why wouldn't Saturday be an option? I haven't seen anyone disagree. Not arguing, just a question! And I work at 5 on Sundays. Around 1-2 would be ideal

20. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

Yep...church from 11-1pm.....

21. Futuriistiics

Futuriistiics Walk On

I like Sunday also. Seems the most legit day or night to do it. Though I could probably do it most days provided we it's at the right time

22. majesty95

Saturdays are not good because I have to work til 8. Sundays are generally better because people are at home and not going out and doing stuff. Most leagues have gone Sunday and worked out well.

If we did 2pm on a Sunday would that work for most people?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  23. LLCoolGrey

LLCoolGrey Walk On

we talking eastern time?

24. majesty95

I was thinking central...

25. Reallyrill

Reallyrill Walk On

Im off on sundays work the other 6. Im good with sunday

• Like Like x 1