The E Season 4: Scores

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by LSUTRUTH, Oct 8, 2012.

1. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Post Em up

2. LSUTRUTH

Maryland Opens season Sharp on Offense
    35-28

Lead by Freshman QB Mike Cunningham UM took on ALABAMA. The Terps with their new option attack knew this was going to be a grind em out kind of game. However for Alabama it was all about the quick strike. 2 times scoring TDs over 40 yards that plus multiple runs over 10 yards. The big play was terrible for Maryland. Needless to say I was very happy with the showing of Cunningham. He cant carry it 18 times every week but he did.

Things we learned about Maryland
    1. Stefon Diggs is super electric. The 4 year starter is back for his senior year with Vengeance. He was shockingly underused however I think that will change 4 touches 88 yards on the day.
    2. Rory Morris does not fit the new scheme. Rory struggled constantly with getting hit not reading the right hole and such. Rory is a special back and has been for 2 seasons. I think he will right the ship you wont see 14 for 21 rush yards again.
    3. Mike Cunningham is that deal. while 8/10 is a low number Maryland wanted to control the clock which it did. Surprising thing is the 210 yards and 18 carries for 52 yards. He had one errand throw which Coach Truth said He just made a bad read. Happens.
    4. LA Goree and Matt Robinson are GONE. The two players were drafted in the 3rd round. However they were both Glue guys for the Maryland defense. Foreman has shifted to MLB and looked good. However Freshman Hines is going to be learning on the fly. Luckily its from one of the best players in College football FS Clark.
    5. DE Scott East is still a beast. He produced no sacks but he forced 2 INTS with pressure. He adds a sleeper in Freshman Heffner who played some snaps and looked great. He could start by years end.
    6. Freshman Kicker Triplett kicked 2 huge FGs. He looked great cant wait to see how he finishes the year

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Kansas State - 37

#23 Boise State - 31

It may look like it was close but Boise scored a couple of pointless touchdowns in the closing minutes of the game. We controlled the game in the first half 24-7 despite Boise returning the opening kickoff for a TD. We did get a little conservative only scoring 13 points in the second half but it was enough to beat the Broncos. They would recover the onside after scoring with 41 seconds left but proceeded to go 4 and out, allowing Sams to kneel the ball with 2 seconds left.

This is considered a big win for Kansas State and a Week 1 upset. Daniel Sams looked very sharp despite being sacked 8 times thanks to the O Line forgetting their jobs. KSU starts off 1-0 with a shitty Bye next week. Week 3 we will be traveling to Ann Arbor in a rematch of last seasons bowl game.

Stats

D. Sams - 13/22, 258 yards, 2 TD, 8 yards rushing
    K. Dixon - 17 Att, 71 yards, 4.1 ypc, 1 TD
    T. Walker - 13 Att, 50 yards, 3.8 ypc, 1 TD
    T. Lockett - 4 Rec, 80 yards, 1 TD
    D. West - 5 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 INT, 1 FF -- Game Ball

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

SMU 56
    Tenn 39

What a fugly game to open the season as the defending champs for SMU! The Mustangs allowed 11 more points than they allowed in any game last season, which is utterly unacceptable. It wasn't all on the D as SMU allowed both a PR and a KR for TDs. On offense SMU had quick strike success unlike their typical slow, methodical scoring drives. They scored TDs of 77, 59, 46, and 40 yards, including a 59 yard TD run by true FR HB A.J. Brown on the first touch of his career.

Game Balls:
    QB Brad Simmons- 256.0, 9/13 (69%), 195 yds, 3 TD, 1 INT - 10 car, 37 yds (3.7 YPC), TD
    HB#1 Isaac Richardson - 7 car, 76 yds (10.8 YPC), 2 TD - 1 rec TD
    HB#4 A.J. Brown - 6 car, 91 yds (15.1 YPC), TD
    WR Tommy Freeman - 3 rec, 129 yds, 2 TD - 3 car, 18 yds (6.0 YPC)
    HB #2 K.C. Nlemchi - 6 car, 51 yds (8.5 YPC)
    MLB Erik Thompson - 8 tkls, 0.5 sacks
    DE Lawrence Hobbs - 3 tkls, 2 TFL, 2 sacks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  5. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

[​IMG]

Death Valley LA: The much anticipated debut of heralded Freshman QB Ricky Green did not disappoint. Most of the media thought that it wouldn't happen till the second half as it had been a tight battle for the starting spot since spring practice with SR Garrett Leatham. Leatham was thought to be handling the playbook better and a matchup with LSU in a stadium filled to the brim with 93000 people might seem like a lot to handle for a true freshman. Coach York made no doubt when Green was under center from the 1st snap. Leading the team down the field capping it off with a 5 yard pass to TE Dan Smith. Green made some mistakes (1 INT, 2 Fumbles) but overcame them to lead the team from 7 down in the 3rd and 3 down in the 4th. Green had the help of JR RB Shadrach Thornton who in his 1st start rushed for 127 yards and 1 score. Up next week the Pack have a trip to Houston for a matchup against the cougars.

6. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Wisconsin 10
    Baylor 38

There were a lot of new faces all around the field in Waco as the fans and coaches didn't know what to expect out of this team especially facing a talented Wisconsin team to open the year. The Bears opened up a new era with true Freshman QB Nick Skinner at the helm. The kid was highly touted out of HS, ranked the #1 QB, and he did not disappoint. He opened the year with the ball and right away made some great throws. The coaches were impressed as he led the team down the field before capping it off with a 5 yard TD pass. Then came the defense. After only losing 1 starter, the group played much better and true FR CB Sam Crooks showed his excellent cover skills and actually led the team in tackles as well. They forced some quick 3 and outs and picked off the Badger QB in the redzone in route to a 1st half shut out. Skinner would continue his excellent playing scoring on a QB sneak, hitting his TE from 23 yards out, and then scoring on a scramble when the defense blew up a play action pass.

In the 2nd half the team went conservative to hold the lead. The Badgers got a FG, then a TD to make it look more respectable, but it was Bears all the way. The back-ups got some work too and the coaches were pleased with the running game from the 2nd string.

QB Skinner 22/22 304 yards, 2 TD, 2 RUSH TD
    HB Allen 16 att, 65 yards, TD
    WR Richard 8 rec, 121 yards
    WR Coleman 8 rec, 76 yards, TD
    TE Butler 4 rec, 83 yards, TD

7. Darkwing

Darkwing One Nation Under God

7[​IMG] at [​IMG] 28
    The Horned Frogs set a strong tone to open up the season. With Coach Darkwing worried about the "lack of talent" this team responded with a show of effort and determination. It was nice to see the defensive performance no matter the quality of competition. It's no secret TCU has struggled stopping opponents since entering the Big XII. When in Rome....:rolleyes:
    First year starter, Sophomore QB Grady Terrell (who saw solid playing time last season at CB), had a solid effort in the first half as he left early in the 3rd with a strained bicep. Senior backup QB Trevone Boykin filled in nicely to keep the Frogs moving and not miss a beat on offense. The team will look to improve on paving its way to a ground attack and continue its success in welcoming #5 Oregon to town next week.
    Frog Standouts
    QB Terrell 8/12 183 yards, 3 TD (his 1st called pass attempt highlight is on the wire)
    QB Boykin 6/7 46 yards, TD
    WR Hicks 2 rec 80 yards, 2 TD
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 9.58.33 PM.png

8. LSUTRUTH

Maryland thumps Rival Navy
    38-7

Marylands option offense looked much more refined vs Navy. However that could be due to the quality of the opponent. I believe they went from one end of the spectrum an elite team to an average team. Big plays defined this game. Maryland made them Navy didnt. Also I guess they fired the Navy Coach because they dont run the option anymore.

1. Stefon Diggs is the man. Diggs is beginning to really find his role in this new offense. Taking a Pitch for 50 yards and a TD. Also catching 2 passes for 23 yards. Again look for these touches to go up.
    2. Rory Morris looked much better which leads us to believe he just had an off week vs ALA. And who could blame him. He added 11 carries for 72 yards as well as 2 catches for 32 yards. That included an electric run after the catch. Talking to Maryland Coaches they like to keep him around this 15-20 touch mark.
    3. Mike Cunningham looked exactly the same. Right now they arent asking him to go win games they are just asking him to play ball. 14/17 for 199 yards w/2 TD and a Pick. The pick was an under thrown ball which can be fixed. However Im worried about his 13 carries that is to many hits on the young guy.
    4. Foreman is looking improved over last week. He was blocked a few times this week and knocked down twice however he was hitting his spots and making tackles. Foreman is undersized and it hasnt showed.
    5. DE Scott East owns Navy. In two seasons vs Navy he has produced 8 sacks with 6 sacks coming last season and 2 sacks this season. He also forced an INT on a bad throw as well as other sacks for other DL

9. jello1717

SMU 34
    UNC 27
    Overtime

The SMU D continues to be suspect and this time the O joined them in the "weak" column. UNC absolutely owned SMU in the 1st half (QB Simmons took more sacks than he had pass attempts!) and they were very fortunate to only be trying 17-3 at the half. SR HB K.C. Nlemchi, who only had 8 career carries for 7 yards prior to this season on a team whose coach goes 4 deep @ HB, stepped up in a huge way to carry SMU to the victory. He had 3 carries of 20+ including a 69 yard run for SMU's first TD and then a 25 yarder on SMU's only play in OT which turned out to be the game winner.

Game Balls:
    HB#2 K.C. Nlemchi - 7 car, 140 yds (20 YPC), 2 TD
    WR Tommy Freeman - 5 car, 54 yds (10.8 YPC) - 4 rec, 53 yds
    SS Dwayne Coleman - 8 tkls, INT

10. Darkwing

30[​IMG] at [​IMG]31
    Ducks & Frogs cause delirium in Top 6 matchup!
    My oh my, What a Game! TCU hangs on (sort of) for the incredible victory over the visiting hurry-up powerhouse. Both teams totaled over 400 yards of offense and the Frogs overcame a -2 turnover ratio to take the W. In this one QB Grady Terrell was either nursing that bicep still or got mentally rattled against the Duck D as he threw 2 picks. Also, the defense was nowhere to be found after the shutout performance over Vandy in Week 1.
    Oregon jumped out to a 10-0 first quarter led. They then made a goal line stand forcing a 19 yard field goal, 10-3. The Ducks would add 2 more field goals to make it 16-3 with 25 seconds before half. On the ensuing kickoff, HB Catalon would return it 52 yards (tripped up by the kicker). A quick 24 yard completion followed by a 6 yard one put TCU in the redzone. The next pass looked like the Titans final play against the Rams in the Super Bowl, but the defense jumped offside. So with a second left, Terrell found a slanting TE Sims for the 9 yard TD. 16-10 half.
    In the second HB Chase would continue to add to his total as the TCU power rushing attack was having its way. That setup the 3rd quarter's lone score as Terrell found WR Anderson off a play action streak for the 41 yard TD. 17-16 TCU. In the 4th, Terrell hit a wide open Anderson for another score. This time on a 3rd and long for a 90 yard romp to pay dirt. 24-16. Then with under 3 minutes to go, Chase was leading a drive to ice the game. Terrell proceeded to throw an interception in what would have been field goal range. Oregon would complete a 22 yard pass on 4th and 5 to score the next play. 24-22 with 48 seconds left as Mariota was sacked on the 2pt try. Of course the freakin' Ducks recover the damn onside kick. They would find the end zone after a pair of 28 yard completions. 2pt rush by Mariota good, 30-24 Oregon. Then the TCU return game did its thing again in the most opportune time! HB Chase returned the ensuing kickoff 81 yards to get the Horned Frogs in the redzone with 2 timeouts and 18 seconds. Terrell found WR Hicks for 14 yards to get inside the 2. Chase was then stood up after me wasting about 8 seconds by not using a timeout and calling a motion run play. So it got down to 3 seconds left. A false start took away the run and luckily enough Terrell was clutch in finding the Horned Frog Player of the Game in WR Casey Anderson for the 7 yard game tying strike as time expired. The extra point sealed the win :D
    Frog Standouts
    QB Terrell 12/19 247 yards, 4 TD (2 INT)
    HB Chase 28 car 175 yards | 2 kick returns 101 yards
    WR Anderson 4 catches 144 yards, 3 TD
    *Coach Notes: I hate onside kicks. I was about to be so pissed off for throwing this game away but thank God my players executed in the clutch. Also, I can't believe I went home with a timeout in my pocket...would have been the worst move I ever made in this game.
    Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 1.47.37 AM.png

11. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

Georgia Tech - 24
    West Virginia - 10

This game was closer than it should've been. For some reason, my offensive line really struggled in this game. I was sacked several times and also couldn't run the ball well, either. I am hoping that it was just the Heisman difficulty, but I am worried about my game with BYU.

QB Ben Rogers was efficient (other than the sacks) but did get picked once when he was hit while throwing the ball. Defensively, the team played well but I dropped several picks. The seconday is solid and is definitely going to make plays if the front can hold up well.

Freshman Derek Kelly was the leading receiver and will definitely be a factor this year. Freshman Sammie Lewis also appears to be a nice complement to Snoddy as he scored a TD in his first career game. If the line can provide better blocking then this offense will be able to put up points this year.

12. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Arkansas 14
    Virginia 34

QB David Watford picked up where he left off last season, accounting for 4 total touchdowns, 185 yards passing and 105 yards rushing. HBs Deon Taylor ran for 92 yards and Pete Walters added 63.

13. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Texas 7
    Virginia 34

Watford had another solid game, rushing for 2 scores on the ground and 199 total yards of offense. HB Deon Taylor chipped in with 96 yards on the ground and a score.

14. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Baylor 58
    Texas A&M 42

The Bears jumped out to another huge first half lead behind another stellar start from FR QB Nick Skinner. The Bears were up 34-7 at the break as Skinner had thrown for 3 scores and ran for another. Looking like things would be like the Wisconsin blow out, the Bears defense fell asleep in the 2nd half and allowed the Aggies to score 25 points and make it somewhat of a closer game. Thankfully the Baylor run game was clicking even without starting HB BJ Allen who was injured early in the 2nd half. Skinner threw 2 more TDs and also threw his first 2 incompletions of the season a on pass behind his intended target and a drop. The Aggies no huddle constantly left the Bears defense gassed but the offense was able to put up enough points to win the shooting.

QB Skinner 16/18 336 yards, 5 TDs, 13 att, 88 yards, TD
    HB Roberson 7 att, 96 yards
    WR Haas 5 rec, 127 yards, 2 TDs
    WR Richard 3 rec, 97 yards, 2 TDs
    TE Butler 4 rec, 82 yards, TD

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  15. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

2 incompletions on the season? Fuck...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Masler

Masler Moderator

#23 Kansas State - 24

Michigan - 23

A very close battle in The Big House took place today. Kansas State struck first but Michigan would claim the next ten. K-State would score with 30 seconds left in the second half to take the 14-10 lead into halftime. With the momentum and receiving at halftime, the Wildcats sought control of this game but they were unable to do much of anything for the majority of the third quarter while Michigan was able to score 10 more to take a 20-14 lead into the final quarter of action. The Wildcats took a one point lead just over a minute into the fourth. Michigan would throw a costly INT to MLB West but KSU wasn't able to convert a 4th and goal that would have put this game out of reach. Michigan was able to drive all the way down and take a two point lead with a long FG. With barely a minute on the clock it was our job to get into FG range. Two huge runs came from FOURTH string HB (We saw many injuries at HB this week) Brandon Perry, the kid allowed us to get into FG range but he was struck with tragedy as he broke his tibia and will be down for the season. Rankin was able to connect easily on the 22 yard FG but we still had about 30 seconds to play defense. Michigan hit the receivers on a couple of big passes but in the end they were unable to convert on third down and Sams was able to Kneel.

Already a huge turn around for our team, starting the season on a winning note. Next week we have a BYE before opening conference play at home vs Texas.

Stats

D. Sams - 9/14, 130 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT, 6 Att, 20 yards
    J. Leverett - 17 Att, 77 yards, 4.5 ypc, 1 TD
    K. Dixon - 12 Att, 83 yards, 6.9 ypc
    S. Roach - 5 Rec, 89 yards, 2 TD
    D. West - 8 Tackles, 2 TFL, 1 INT
    X. Gates - 5 Tackles, 3 TFL, 3 Sacks

17. jello1717

SMU 45
    North Texas 10

As expected, the Mustangs handled their business against the Not So Mean Green. The defense completely dominated and did something I've never seen with one of my SMU teams. Due to the poor O-line of NT, SMU was able to get constant pressure by rushing just 4 guys. In years past, even against shitty teams like this, rushing 4 meant my D-line would play patty cake until the QB found a receiver. Today the QB either had to throw quickly or end up getting smacked in the mouth. The SMU offense played very well with a more balanced attack than their normal "run all the time" attack and SO WR Tommy Freeman went bananas against the slow secondary.

As for the sacks, take a look at the last 2 highlights on the wire. In the 4th one my guy kinda swims by the 1st blocker, immediately spins off the second blocker, and then immediately bull rushes the 3rd blocker before he sacks the QB. Last year he would've been glued to the 1st blocker the whole time. In the last highlight my LE (on the far right) quickly brushes aside 2 different blockers to get to the QB. It was truly a thing of beauty all game and I really hope this is how it'll be all year because my D-line is better and that it wasn't just a one time thing because I played a terrible O-line.

Game Balls:
    QB Brad Simmons - 249.2, 9/13 (69%), 200 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT
    HB#4 A.J. Brown - 5 car, 114 yds (22.8 YPC)
    WR Tommy Freeman - 4 rec, 159 yds, 2 TD
    DE Lawrence Hobbs - 4 tkls, 4 TFL, 4 sacks
    MLB Erik Thompson - 8 tkls, 1 INT, 1 defl

18. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

[​IMG]
    Houston We Have Upset!
    What a surprise we had today when an unranked and mostly FR and SO laden team from NC State came into Robertson Stadium and beat the previously ranked #10 team in the country. Lead by true FR QB Ricky Green (12-20 178 yards 2 TD) the Pack looked ho hum at the start of the game settling for 2 1st downs and 2 punts on their 1st 2 drives of the game. The Cougars 1st drive resulted in a TD and it looked like the route was on. The D settled down and got a stop on Houstons second series and to begin the 2nd Qtr Green led them on a long drive that resulted in a 6 yard PA pass to FB Jeff Hawthorne who fought his was through two defenders for the score. The Pack tacked on 17 more straight points the D gave up a late score and it looks like NCSU will be ranked in the new polls sitting at 2-0 and briming with confidence. Leading the way on the ground for NC State was Shadrach Thornton who had 12 carries for 87 yards and FR Jermain Bates who had 11 carries for 42 yards and a score. On D the game ball goes to Tyrell Burris who had 2 INT's and 6 passes defensed hell of a game by Burris. For the Cougs they are a young team themselves and with some seasoning should be just fine in the Big 12.

19. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Houston -
    Rice - 14

It was a day of big plays and maybe a QB controversy for the Cougars.

Brad Kohlhausen started the game for the Cougars but after a pair of first half picks, coach Sternal gave the redshirt sophomore a chance and he delivered.

The game looked to be all Houston early. With the game scoreless in the 1st quarter, Houston shut Rice down on a 4th and goal to takeover on downs. On the first play, Kohlhausen took a shot at the Freshman Arnold who snatched it out of the air and took it 98 yards to the house for a 7-0 lead.

After a 3 and out for Rice, Deyonte Greenbury took the return to the house to go up 14-0. An INT on the next drive led to a FG to make it 17-0 and put Houston fans at ease.

But Kohlhausen would throw a pair of picks leading to 14 Rice points and coach Sternal had seen enough. Bill Kerr was going to get a chance.

Kerr came in and led multiple scoring drives, and seemed to give the team an overall lift. A late injury has him questionable for Week 5 against OK St. but it appears he will be good to go.

Kerr would finish the day 9/10 for 207 yards and 3 TD's. He would hit 3 different receivers for all the TD's as well, allowing the defense to make bad decisions and capitalizing on the game.

Greenbury and Arnold appear to be a force to reckon with as they combined for 8 catches for 271 yards and 3 TD's (One catch was for 98 so slightly skewed).

Houston goes into the bye ranked 16th and 2-1. They open conference play with a game against OK St. at home before hitting the road to play blLL flo Masler and jello1717

20. LSUTRUTH

Run out of the Building

That is exactly what happened in the User Game of the Week that pitted Maryland vs TCU. TCU had alot of speed with Maryland being able to match it some. Maryland was bigger upfront and more accomplished with defensive player of the year Scott East playing DE for the Terps.

It was Marylands mix of Smash and Dash that would win the game. 41-14 over TCU. Maryland constantly landed big hits on TCU RBs and QB and eventually those hits started landing fumbles.

Marylands offense would be more fleXbox One in the past 2 games as an attempt to confuse TCU. While it worked sometimes there were many plays that the offense took a 0 yard gain. Mike Cunningham the Terps QB has looked amazing. In the team preview Coach Truth said " HE is the best QB I have had at Maryland. I loved Brown but he is a better athlete than Brown and a better thrower than Thomas."

Cunningham would only best asked to throw the ball 8 times. He would complete 7 of those throws for 156 yards and a TD. Where he did his real damage was a triple option he took 50 yards to the house. He added 11 carries for 63 yards. Without the BEAST McCarthy Petty was asked to take more of a rushing role he did that with 8 attempts for 26 yards and a few key firsts. Rory Morris looks to be getting his see legs as he added 82 yards. He looked on another level of speed vs the Fast TCU defense. Stefon Diggs would add an option run for a TD however the game would count it as a reception. So he ended up with 4 touches for 96 yards. (EDIT: they actually called his long TD run an incompletion ? Its on the DW)

On defense the Maryland defense was down right dirty. TCU earned alot of garbage time yards. This Maryland defense is the best yet at Maryland which seems tough after last years squad. Scott East added 2 sacks. Player of the game on defense though was AJ Hendy as he brought 6 tackles to the table as well as an INT for a TD.

TCU had some highs in this game. Like their MLB Cam Hall really showing improvement with 9 tackles and not falling for the Maryland triple option and playing assignment football. LE Austin Terry was a pain in the ass with 2 sacks and a couple other pressures. Grady Terrell struggles throwing the ball but he had over 100 rush yards including 2 long QB keepers for TCUs two scores.

GG

Darkwing

My team just out physicaled your squad. 5 turnovers really hurt you.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  21. Darkwing

1. The fumbling, ugh
    2. 5 turnovers gets you a loss, and sometimes blown out :(
    3. That Morris guy has jets
    4. Diggs is good
    5. I forgot to save that stupid catch right before half that should have been an easy INT
    6. Loved how a Top 10 matchup had 2 starting WHITE HBs. Awesome

22. LSUTRUTH

I forgot about that catch. I loved the white RB battle. I'm recruiting another one this year. DIGGS And Morris are a tough combo to stop with 96 and 99 speed respectively.

23. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

FIFY. Those dudes are like grease lightning. I held Diggs down but Morris got loose a few time last season.

24. LSUTRUTH

Luckily I should get Morris back next year with Diggs leaving my speed at WR goes WAY DOWN.

25. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'm in that situation with Mitch Mathews being a Senior. If Tanner leaves (which i project happening), i'm rebuilding. Thankfully Nolan Palmer is a fucking BAMF. Two games, two Punt Return TDs.