The Explanation

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 14, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

Guys,

I'm going to make this as brief as possible, but it's a bit of a story anyway. I'll add some stuff for the new guys that most of you already know.

I started this league, grew it, took it premiere, with the help of some really great guys. Earlier this year, I stepped away for a job opportunity that ate up about 80 hours a week for a time. I passed commish to Ego, and he's done a great job.

Now, one thing that happens in all leagues over time is that we start to get into a bit of a routine. We stop doing the daily stuff, content drops off, stats get weird, etc. Here, we started elevating stats and quickening the pace, while posting less and less. This happens everywhere.

I got frustrated, and I shot my big mouth off the other night. I think my arguments were on point, but my chosen method of delivering them was poorly timedto say the least. There was a private conversation, and some ugliness ensued.

What generated my comments was a number of conversations with guys who recently left us. I was of the opinion that if guys like Goose and Smooth leave, it's not them - it's us. I wanted to get them back if I could. In the discussion, a decision was made to put me back in the commish spot. I didn't ask for it, but there it is. I agreed, and we have been hashing out the details since.

Which brings me to some good news. Smooth has agreed to return, and I'm here and now letting Goose know that I have cleared the way to Columbus (which also answers Brog's question about why I'm ND again).

Now, in order to get the quicker pace he wants, Ego may be leaving us. I'm trying to convince him not to, but I don't think I'll be successful. Easy is also in the decision making process, and I will back whatever call he makes. After we settle on a number, recruiting will be the first order of business. I'll want your help with that. We can shape this thing however we want it, so if you have a friend you like to play with, now's the time. If you want to make a change, now's the time.

Other changes: I was thinking we could stay put on sliders for the season, maybe even lighten them up and build some success into the system for the new guys, at least for the last few weeks. Then, I want to do a few things designed to bring us back in line stat-wise:
    1. A reduction to 7 minute quarters.
    2. The most recent slider set from the film room
    3. 72 hour advances, with times announced clearly in the forums (no waiting - but I think we should all have a backup guy who will "be" us if we have a conflict. I can do this for a guy or two.)
    4. A return to content - No summaries over time will equal a sim (I'm not going crazy about it, but if you miss a couple weeks, I think you've earned a sim). We should be posting more than we are. This "penalty" will go away once we are back to normal. I hate penalties.
    5. Stat-Hawking - those who know me know I watch stats in a big way. I've fallen into some bad habits lately, but that ends now. I'm going to approach people if they get douchy, but I rarely have to do this if we're all engaged and chatting in the forums. Kinda polices itself, if you know what I mean.
    6. "Dad-Life" mentality - this league was first called "The Dad Life" and it was meant for guys who have busy lives, but like to play some football. I'm not bringing back the name, but I do want to bring back the attitude. Conversations in the forums were light and fun, and people cared much more about having a good time than they did about winning this or that. I'm going to try to create that atmosphere. If you guys could help me out, that would be cool.
    Now, if anyone has anything they want - a change that we could put in place - please speak up. I want this to be the most fun on TSO, and I'll go 0-12 every year to make that happen. If you have something to add, now would be the time.
    Thanks guys.
    Dude

2. The Dude

More news - It looks like Goose will be returning, but it might not be as the Bucks. We shall see.

Regardless, I will be Notre Dame from now on. The reason is mobility. As an Indy, I can move about and play everyone. That's a useful ability. Helps me get a feel for everyone's style, so I get to have some experience when issues arise. They rarely do around here, but if/when they do, it's nice to have some experience with multiple players. So, I will remain indy for the year.

Also, by taking over ND, I have walked into a contending situation. I will not walk into a title shot. Expect me to sim a loss to clear the way for others. It's only fair, and I have no problem with it.

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Looking forward to kicking the snot out of Brogowicz.

4. The Dude

BigSmooth33 You're missing a sig. Get that sumbitch back up there (y)

5. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

The feeling is mutual.