The Eyes of Texas

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Mike E, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

The Eyes of Texas

Texas - 45
    Missouri - 0

Texas came into its game against the Missouri Tigers with one thing on their mind: Domination.

That was the case early, and often in the first half as the Longhorns raced out to a 45-0 halftime lead on the strength of 5 interceptions of Blaine Gabbert.

Colt McCoy finished the half 13-20 for 175 yards and two td strikes.

In the third quarter, Interim Head Coach Vredesbyrd decided to pull back on the reigns and put the 2nd teamers in in an attempt to rest his starters for the brutal road through the Big 12.

"It always makes it easier when you can come out and jump all over a team on the road in conference play" Coach Vredesbyrd stated.

2. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Texas - 48
    Navy - 10

Another ho hum affair for Texas against an overmatched Navy team.

Colt McCoy finished 12-20 for 263 yards and 4 TDs includeing three over 55 yards to Jordan Shipley and James Kirkendall.

Junior Tailback Vondrell McGee again had a solid day on the ground with 124 yards on 17 carries in cludin an electrifying 53 yard run in the 2nd quarter.

Defensively, Christian Scott again led the team with 13 tackles in cluding 3 for losses and a pick.

Texas now must gear up for an in-state battle with the 3-5 TCU Horned Frogs in Fort Worth.

3. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Texas - 51
    TCU - 24

Texas lept out to a 21-0 first quarter lead and never looked back, putting the backups in in the second half to run out the clock. McCoy threw for 418 yards and 2 TDS. 10 of those completions were to All-American Jordan Shipley.

Defensively, TCU was held to 82 yards on the ground as they were forced to go to the air early.

The Horns now prepare to face off against Kansas back at DKR.

4. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Texas - 52
    Kansas - 28
    In a game that was tied 21-21 at the half, the Texas Longhorns took over in the second half. The Kansas running game had 100 yards running in the first half but could only manage 19 total in the 2nd.

The story of the game was the loss of All-American WR Jordan Shipley for the season. Shipley was crushed on an errant McCoy pass over the middle and suffered a severe concussion which not only ends his season, but possibly his career.

After the injury to Shipley, the Texas offense struggled through the next two quarters until it found its new weapon in Junior Brandon Collins. Collins caught 2 TD passes in the 2nd half and was HUGE in the return game.

The Texas defense stepped up in the 2nd half as well, forcing an interception and returning a questionable fumble for 6 amidst a Kansas drive for a go ahead score.

The Horns now must gather together and get ready for a visit to the 12th man in College Station for their annual affair with the Aggies of Texas A&M.

5. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Texas - 49
    Rice - 7

Not a very inspired performance form the Horns. I seriously feel like I am in a rut here. A few weeks ago, I was playing well, and beating damn good Users here in TF leagues. Now? I have troubles against Rice. Now, the stats will tell you that we Dominated. And, to an extent we did. Three late, meaningless TDs by the 2nd offense made it ugly.

The Horns had better get their crap together before VT rolls in and then the Users come to Austin...gotta get out of this rut!!

6. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Texas - 21
    LSU - 22

Down 14 early in the 1st quarter, the Texas defense decided to finally wake up and completely shut down the Tigers potent offense. That is, naturally, until the final drive of the game. Play of the game: 4th and 7 for LSU on the LSU 40 something. Jefferson magically sidesteps a blitz he couldn't avoid all day, throws a laser to Tolliver on a corner route. Tolliver jumps up, gets hit in mid air, lands on his head...and hangs onto the ball. Friggin catch of the year. The rest you can pretty much figure. LSU drives down, scores, makes the 2pointer with 6 seconds left and the Longhorns lose again at home.

As stated in my team preview, inconsistency is my game!

In the first quarter, i thought for sure I was gonna get blown away. Great game Beazus, you deserved the win.

no players of the game for texas.

7. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Texas: 45 Iowa State: 38

The Longhorns, who have been struggling all season, decided to get back to basics: run the ball: QB Sherrod Harris had a solid game directing the offense and finished 10-16 for 173 yards, 3 tds and 1 int. RB Fozzy Whitaker had 41 rushes for 201 yards but no tds. Tre Newton had 2 close rushing tds.

MLB Dustin Earnest had a big game with 9 tackles, 2 tfl and 1 sack. DE Eddie Jones was in the QBs face all day with 8 tackles, 3 tfl and 3 sacks.

One of several sacks:
    [youtube]WrUu3yD1gjE[/youtube]

Big play by DJ Monroe:
    [youtube]i8OtTuEpHSg[/youtube]

8. Twister18

Oklahoma: 37 Texas: 24

The Sooner ran a very balanced attack to defeat the Longhorns in this thrilling rivalry game. The Sooners drove the ball solidly down the field, converting third downs like clockwork. When the Texas defense did make a stop, their monster K would drill a FG.(I hope he is a senior). In the end the Sooner were too much for Longhorns:

Texas
    S. Harris 19-25 245, 2 TD, 2 INT
    Whittaker 18-82 and 1 TD
    Greg Smith 5 cat 69 1td
    Malcolm Williams 4 cat 82 1 td

MLB Earnest 8 tackles, 1 tfl 1 sack.

9. Twister18

Texas: 60 TCU: 58 (3 OT)

Wild game that the Longhorns were barely able to pull out. Not too much defense by either team and the Longhorns were led by RB Fozzy Whitaker with 45 carries for 282 yards and 2 scores.

QB Sherrod Harris struggled with accuracy and finished 18-27 for 187 yards, 2 td and 4 ints.

WR Malcolm Williams had 3 catches for 72 yards and 1 td.

Next up: Nebraska

10. Twister18

Texas: 38 TTU: 35

Very close game that the Lonhgorns pull out when P John Tucker kicks a 32 yard FG with 2 seconds remaining. The Horns were led by RB Tre Newton with 37 carries for 208 yards and 3 tds. He got the bulk of the work as starting RB Foz Whittaker is out for the season.

DE Alex Okafor sparked the Texas defense when he came in to fill for injured DE Eddie Jones. He registered 4 tackles, 4 tfl and 2 sacks. DT Kheeston Randall also had a great game with 4 tackles, 3 tfl and 2 sacks.

11. Twister18

Texas: 56 OK St: 37

The Okies jumped to a big lead on the Longhorns until a huge play in the red zone by Aaron Williams brought the Longhorns back:

[youtube]lZbXW4VqnaQ[/youtube]

The Longhorns used RB Tre Newton like a workhorse carrying the ball 36 times for 285 yards and 4 tds. Here is one of his big runs.

[youtube]YjIwcot__90[/youtube]

FB Antwan Cobb also had 8 carries for 41 yards and 2 tds.
    WR Malcolm Williams had 5 catches for 115 and 1 td.

The D, despite giving up 37 points had several big performers:
    SS Christian Scott 13 tackles
    MLB Dustin Earnest 12 tackles
    FS Earl Thomas 11 tackles
    DE Eddie Jones 5 tackles, 3 tfl, 2 sacks

Player of the Week: Aaron Williams 105 yard INT return.

12. Twister18

KSU: 52 Texas: 35

The Longhorns played their hearts out against the Wildcats but fell short in the final minutes by some stellar play by the Wildcats defense and mistakes by the Horns O.

QB Sherrod Harris went 14-24 for 235 yards, 1 td but 4 ints. The Wildcats D played the run very well and shut down Tre Newton at 23 attempts for 71 yards and 2 tds.

WR Malcolm Williams had 3 catches for 104 yards and 1 td and WR DJ Monroe had 2 catches for 52 yards.

The Longhorn D just could not stop RB Ted Flanders, who had 200+ yards. The D was led by Kerry Robinson, who had 11 tackles and 1 tfl. SS Christain Scott also had 11 tackles and 1 int.

13. Twister18

Texas: 52 TAMU:36

The Longhorns put a whuppin on their instate rivals the Aggies. QB Sherrod Harris had a career game, going 21-29 for 364 and 4 tds and throwing only 1 int. RB Tre Newton had a relatively easy game with 29 carries for 113 yards.

WR Malcolm Williams had 6 catches for 186 yards and 3 tds and WR DeSean Hales added 5 for 96.

MLB Dustin Earnest had 11 tackles and 1 tfl for the D.

14. Twister18

The Longhorns pulled off a big win to open the season against a tough Bull squad led by Coach Max. The Bulls, who had played 2 previous games, woke up after the shock and awe provided by Fozzy Whittaker and almost pulled out the W. Props to Coach Max for rallying the troops! Great game Max!

QB Gilbert completed 9-11 passes for 230 yards and 2 tds to lead a run oriented attack against the Bulls. Fozzy had 32 rushes for 153 yards and 2 td and also caught 2 balls for 73 yards and 1 td. here is this catch and run by the Fozz.
    [youtube]kC5e09n--A4[/youtube]

Gilbert competed 1 pass to DJ Monroe that went for a long score:
    [youtube]9NZDmoMmK1Q[/youtube]

The defense had a big first half but really lost focus in the second. LB Sam Acho led the way with 10 tackles, 1 tfl, and 1 sack. LB Kerry Robinson set the tone early in the first quarter with a huge pick 6 td to keep the Longhorns on top. He also had 5 tackles and 1 tfl.

[youtube]Zgya1i6lRmQ[/youtube]

Great job Max! Looking forward to a rematch or against your Ducks in C2C.

15. Twister18

That was a very good game. I know I will never play poker against Marcman as he left a WR uncovered twice and as I threw a bullet, he pick 6ed it and I just couldn't help myself. I was running the ball decently enough but like a sugar fiend, he baited me and I took the hook, line and sinker. Great job!

Gilbert went 16/30 for 119 yards and 3 ints. Tre Newton filled in again for the injured Fozzy Whittaker and went 28 times for 114 yards and 1 td and added 5 catches for 37 yards.

For the D, FS Earl Thomas had 13 tackles and 1 int and SS Ben Wells had 7 tackles, 1 tfl, 1 sack and a pick in the ez to save a score.

16. Twister18

Texas: 49 UCF: 28

Garrett Gilbert went 12/18 for 147 yards and 2 tds. The main player of the game was Fozzy as he rushed 40 times for 266 yards and 2 tds. E. Acho led the d with 10 tackles.

17. Twister18

Cincy 41
    #7 Tex 37

Cincy heads into Austin and delivers a shocker as they knock off the #7 longhorns at home. It was a great game that looked to be out of hand early as Texas jumped out to a two score lead early thanks to a great user strip on a punt by Twistking. Luckily, Coach KSherm steadied his troop and got them ready to rebound. The Bearcats would respond and go into halftime down 14-20.

The teams would go back and forth in the second half. UC hit a screen pass that went for nearly 80 yards that setup a go ahead score 21-20. But Texas rallied back taking the lead on another FG. The Longhorns would score again on a M. Williams 15 yd TD catch to go up 21-30. Cincy would battle back as Isiah Pead took a handoff 47 yds to paydirt to make it 28-30.

With the game on the line, it all came down to the fourth quarter. UC had the ball and Z. Collaros capped a long drive with a 3 yd TD run. Then HB I. Pead tripped on the goalline for the 2 point conversion (which was ridiculous) to make it 34-30.

Texas would return the ensuing kickoff 91 yards to go up 34-37, but there was plenty of time left as Cincy put together a clock eating drive capped off by a 5 yd run by backup D. Williams to go ahead for good 41-37.

Notable Stats:
    UC
    Z. Collaros 23/32 335 yds 2 TDs 9 car, 35 yds, TD
    I. Pead 12 car, 72 yds, 2 TDs, 6 rec, 108 yds, TD

UT
    G. Gilbert 20/23, 282 yds, 3 TDs
    F. Whittaker 15 car, 50 yds, 5 rec, 80 yds