The Flex Five-by-Five

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Lee.Flex, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

The Flex Five-by-Five

The Flex Five-by-Five

Wow.... Did I just wake up from a dream or are the Golden Dome’s ranked #1? Huh.... What did you say?... They won the BCS National Title last year? I must be sleep walking now because not only did the Irish win the National Title, but USC wasn’t even in a BCS game. Last year showed some shake-up. Some teams finally rose to the occasion (Insert UCLA & tOSU here), and some teams let their Crystal Trophy dreams get in the way of regular week to week play (You know who you are).

So whats in store for this year? Who’s got their team flying under the radar and who is flying to high for their lungs to handle (Oxygen not included). What player is looking for a rebound year after spending last year in his gopher hole (Why not flush him out with a garden hose?), and what player will fall off the map after being penned in as the “Heisman Hopeful? Enough of the sweat talk baby, just light a candle and pour yourself a glass of boxed wine, its time for the Flex Five-by-Five.

The Fast Five : RB’s : Blind Date or Real Deal?

1. Minnesota
    Pittman or Pittfall? After gaining national recognition in 2010 with 1546 Yards and 22 rush TD’s, he fell out of people’s mind set last year with just over 1,100 yards and only 9 rush TD’s. Injuries happen, but even when he was healthy the Goph’s weren’t giving him the rock near the goal line. He is off to a much better season in 2012. Through 2 games, he has 45 carries for 244 yards and 5 TD’s. 122 rushing yards per game is above his 118 Yards per game output from 2010. Unless major injury keeps him out, its more than likely he will break 4,000 career rushing yards this year and possibly hit the half century mark in career TD’s. So is Pittman just a blind date and we don’t know what to expect? Could his e-harmony picture look like Halle Berry and when he sits at the table it’s Rossi O’Donell? or is he the real deal?

I predict : Real Deal
    If he can stay injury free and if the Goph’s can get him the ball, than it’s smooth sailing for him and the fury little critters that always eat up a persons garden.

2. Illinois
    Walker award winner, over 2,230 yards and 33 rush TD’s in 2011. Can Green keep the pace he set so high for himself? Can he even repeat his Walker Award winning effort? He already has 50 carries through 2 games for 240 Yards. He’s getting the ball more, but he’s not averaging near as much as he did last year. There no doubt he is the Illini key to victory... but will they be running the ball as much? They are averaging 34+ pass attempt in their first 2 games. So is this just a blind date or is Green the real deal for 2012?

I Predict : Real Deal
    The Illini have one of the easiest schedules in the league. The biggest threat to Green’s success come’s in week 8 through week 10, when Illinois play’s back to back to back user vs user games. Besides that, Green should be off an running to another Walker trophy, and at worst, lead his team to a 9-3 record, if not better.

3. Penn State
    Duke? Nah.... not the Basketball team, but the primetime RB of the Nitty Lions. Last year he racked up 1460 Yards rushing and 25 TD’s. This year he is looking to eclipse that performance. Through 2 games he has 40 attempts for 337 Yards and 6 TD’s. At this rate, he will be breaking the 2,000 yard mark, and the 36 TD mark. So why such an improvement? Simply put, it all about finding what works. Taking pressure off of Newsome is something Joe Pa thinks will help the team in the long run. Newsome had 15 TD’s to 13 INT’s last season, and when you play in the ball control Big 10, those 13 INT’s aren’t going to cut it. This year so far the Lions are throwing less and running more, and it has payed off with 2 blow out victories. The question is will that stick?

I Predict : Blind Date
    I think once the conference games hit, PSU will be forced to pass more with opposing teams putting 8 in the box and it will limit Duke’s touches. He will still have a great year and possibly lead the Lions to another BCS Game. More than likely he will have over 1,500 yards but with limited touches, it won’t be a year that will compare to the RB’s above.

4. USC
    McNeal is looking to prove the critics wrong. Last year the guy had 110 attempt but only 302 yards and a dreadful 2.7 per carry average. This year he is looking better with 52 carries for 218 yards and a 4.2 average. So how far can his stock rise? Only time will tell. USC love’s running the ball because it opens up Play Action, so don’t look for them to abandon giving McNeal the ball. With that said.... the USC O-Line needs to step up and give McNeal some room to run. The O-Line is one of the worst in the country, allowing 6 sacks through just 2 games. If their allowing that many sacks... just think of how many times McNeal is taking hits in the backfield.

When the going gets tough.... why would USC run the ball when the have an All American QB like Matt Barkley? They will be forced to throw the ball in order to keep up with the offensive attack from UCLA and CAL, and that means fewer touches for McNeal.

5. Oregon
    Blount? Gone. James? Gone. Shinaba? Injuried.... again. Parks? You mean the convereted QB? Last year Jovon Parks was #3 on the Ducks QB depth chart and #3 on the RB Depth Chart. Only starting 1 game this season, he has carried 50 times for 268 yards and 5 TD’s. He will be the #1 RB until Shinaba comes back from injury in Week 14. Oregon likes to run the ball.... but maybe to much? They have 3 players with over 100+ yards, 2 with 50+ yards and 3 more with touches. Is there anyway Parks will get enough carries to be a top running back?

To many options with the spread zone offense. Only QB Thomas knows who is going to get the ball on the zone option, and with the way he’s been tearing it up, he might keep the ball more often with Shinaba now out until week 14.

The Furious Five : Contender or Pretender?

1. USC
    Can they come back from a bad year? Their QB play should be on par with the best in the country, but it’s their running game that worries me. If they can’t run, they can’t use play action. They will need to pick up the slack between the tackles in order to contend for the PAC-10 Title.

Verdict : Pretender

2. UCLA
    Balance, Balance, and more Balance. From top to bottom this team is one of the most balanced in the Dynasty. Prince is playing like a Heisman candidate and there running game is efficient enough to take pressure off of him when needed. Their biggest concern is their freshman starting center, which has allowed 3 sacks this year. He will need to step up his game in the next couple of weeks or else opposing defenses will have a field day rushing the middle.

Verdict : Contender

3. CAL
    A 3rd leader in the race for the PAC-10 title is slowly emerging. A very balanced team, possibly the 2nd best in the PAC-10, CAL also has a very stout defense which has racked up 6 sacks, 4 INT’s and 2 Fumble Recoveries in just 2 games. If they pull out the win against Notre Dame, they are a contender, but until they win a proven User, they will be in the pretender column.

4. tOSU
    Trying to get back to the National Title game, tOSU didn’t open up the season to well. They won 24-6, but their defense allowed 261 Yards to Miami (OH). Berry had a nice run game, but the o-line allowed 4 sacks to a bad 2nd tier college defense. They have a lot of work to do if they plan on winning the BIG 10 and getting back to a BCS Game.

5. Notre Dame
    Wow..... they came out of nowhere land and won the National Title. Can they do it again? First thing they need is a run game. Crist is great, but without a run game the team is very 1 dimensional. That may work once... but I doubt it will work twice. Gray’s a primetime player and its time to get him the ball and take some pressure off of Crist. If Notre Dame does that, they will again be the favorite to win the National Title.

Verdict : Split

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Good write up Lee. No love for my Iowa boys or Beaver boys

3. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

man no love for blue...

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Great job man. Although you're banging on my squad. We don't run play action that much bro. Maybe twice a game.

Man that's good and I missed these keep pumping them out when you get a chance. The whole angle you took was incredible. You're missing out on some money if you don't do this for a living.

5. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

First time I played you (2 Season ago), you had a good run game with McKight, and your PA caught me off guard every time. That's why I put that in there.

Sorry about the corn stock teams and the ol' Blue. No dominate RB's and power packed conferences kept them out.

6. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Excellent write up Lee. Really enjoyed reading that.

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

I know I was just giving you a hard time man. You add a lot to this league man, if there's an opening in Socom please join!

8. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Damn good start to picking things back up. I have to get back to work but I want to re-read this again!

9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Hahaha...great read. Unfortunately, as much as I wanted to cuss you out for that section on Dukes...he's been injury prone in our first couple of games. Against Pitt he got hurt on the first offensive play and again later in the drive. EA is hating PSU's running game this season....