The Future of Chompions League

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

jandy Jbek Glen Cieske cyhiphopp cmassey13 Antonio T. Rekkapryde LTL7360 KNICKSFAN_84 MrWitness36 ssuwr86

With this being the last NCAA for at least some time, and possibly ever, I have no doubts that most if not all of us will be playing NCAA 14 for a few more years. And that, of course, means that we will continue to play an online dynasty together. I see no reason that we won't be playing together through 2014 and well into 2015 but the question is, what file will we be playing?

It's personally my opinion and preference that the file we're all playing next summer/fall will be the last one we play together. From there, I hope we play into the 2030's, and dare I say 2040's of the dynasty.

But with national signing day coming up in real life in a few weeks, and roster makers creating the 2014 seasons up to date rosters likely shortly after, I think we as a league need to make a decision on how we wish to proceed.

I've listed what I think are the three best options below, including what I perceive to be the pros and cons for each choice. Please don't come in here and post "I'm good with whatever." I really have enjoyed playing with all of you the last few years, and would appreciate if this became an interactive discussion, because I hope to keep this core together for as long as possible and don't want to strong arm for my personal preference.

I. Keep Playing This File

Pros:
    • Keep the positive momentum going, we've got a great file and there really isn't a great reason to stop
    • Everyone pretty much identifies with their program
    • The six users per conference seems to really up the competition with our quality of programs
    Cons:
    • It's really hard to recruit new users when we inevitably lose people due to the lack of talent for CPU teams
      • Keep in mind there will be more people vying to play NCAA next fall, so this is important
    • Because we started at these programs, and because we've put most good programs into two conferences, the college football landscape is pretty devoid of quality CPU teams
    • Could get stale because of the fact above, and just a lot of years at one program
    • Cy might win every title for the rest of time
    II. Start New File with Updated Rosters at Same Caliber Programs

Pros:
    • Users who affiliate with current teams (Myself, Jbek, Glen, Cmassey) can play with this year's real life recruits, while those who don't (Jandy, Cy) can start fresh at a new program if they wish
    • Start the dynasty with 6 in each conference and hopefully avoid plucking all talent away from other conferences
    • Easier to recruit new users if need be
    • Gives guys like LTL and Rekka an equal opportunity
    Cons:
    • Going to run into the same problems with CPU rosters when we come to the season 6-8 range
    • Could get stale experience much of what we already did on this file
    • Weird playing 2014 season while it's 2013 in game?
    III. Start New File and do a Coaching Carousel Dynasty

Pros:
    • With the great core we have, potential to go 15+ seasons and truly build a coaching legacy
    • Starting a around 3-star caliber schools, it will take time to build a great team, or move to great program
    • Interesting decisions every offseason as users wrestle between playing with guys you recruited the season before, or moving to a more attractive program
    • Potential for some really interesting user rivalries to form, and the ones we have now move to new pastures
    • Will take a very long time to outpace CPU talent, if it ever completely happens
    • Potential to play with schools you've never thought about trying
    • Greater impact to recruiting
    Cons:
    • Could be frustrating if you're one of the users who doesn't make it to bigger programs in first few years
    • Users could get dispersed among multiple conferences and have less of an online dynasty feel
    • Some of us really like playing with our favorite schools, and get most immersed playing with them
    • Not competing for national titles from the start might not appeal to everyone
    • Similarly, not recruiting top talent immediately might not appeal to everyone
    • If someone makes it to Ohio State I'd be pretty salty!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I: Keep playing this file.

This would probably be my third choice, only because I would like to start a new file with up to date rosters.

II: New File Updated rosters.

#1 choice because Wisconsin actually has a solid class this year :) and I would consider switching schools to my #2 favorite in Tennessee.

III: New File with CC

#2 choice. This could actually be really fun with 12 guys. I'm in one of these with only 6 guys but it has been interesting to see which users take certain schools and some of the rivalries that started when the coaches were at lower schools and have continued when they made it to bigger schools. We also started with either a 1* or 2* school and it didn't take long before everyone was at bigger named schools. With custom scheduling their can always be user games and conferences can always be moved if need be.

FYI for everyone.

I've already got a template on Google Drive to create the rosters with the new incoming recruiting class.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I promise not to win every title for the rest of time. Though that did make me LOL.

4. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I think we should keep playing this file until we get new rosters. If we can keep this solid core it should help when everyone starts over.

I would also be interested in option number...

IV. Start up a new file when we get updated rosters and also start a secondary dynasty for Coach Carousel
    I think a lot of you guys would miss playing with your favorite powerhouse teams. Having a second CC Dynasty would allow us to just go with the flow and try whatever schools comes around without the goal of ending up at our favorites.
    It would also provide a unique challenge that would be a blast with the users we have in this league. I've been wanting to do a good low prestige dynasty with tough sliders so it's much more likely we get killed by 6 star CPU schools early on. We could have the option of taking a new job after a couple years or, if your original school get good enough, moving the team to the regional BCS conference. Lots of fun options.

5. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Love this thread and love that you guys are still playing!

Let me or someone else on staff know if you guys need anything.

I really miss NCAA..... had to stop when my 360 took a dump and i went next gen. I suppose I could hold out a sliver of hope that they would do a straight port for download over XBL or Playstation store, but that is just wishful thinking..... :(

Keep it up guys!

• Like Like x 2
  6. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

My vote would be to start a new file after a new roster set comes out. I'd much prefer to roll with my VT Hokies than Nebraska anyway

7. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

I like what we have going now and don't know if I'd want to dump the current file. However, I've always been intrigued by a true coaching carousel league. I think there could be some real potential there. Starting with a low prestige school and building your way up has always been the way I've played NCAA in single player dynasty back before they had OD. Still I really like how we're all active and still rolling with the current file, but maybe if/when it starts to die out we can shake things up with the carousel idea.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

If you'd rather role with VT on this file I can always just move them into the Big Ten, KNICKSFAN_84

As for what I'd prefer, I'd really like to do a coaching carousel dynasty with you guys once this file dies down. I think starting a new file and doing the same thing (power houses) could get a little stale, considering it's still the same game. The best way to keep everything fresh would be to try an entirely different concept, and I think with the rate we move and with this being the last NCAA (ever?), a coaching carousel dynasty would have the potential to be f*cking awesome with this core

Personally, I've never been a fan of playing 2 dynasties with the same group of people, Cy. I think it cheapens the experience a little bit

• Like Like x 2
  9. LTL7360

LTL7360 Play hard for the name on your chest: Texas A&M

I would like option 3. We are sticking it to the CPU so the possibility to starting at 3 stars is appealing to me. Teams will have to really dig deep to pull off those CPU wins against ranked teams. The only stickler is everyone has a preference for their dream job, and it would probably turn into a mess if somebody took another persons preferred job. I would probably default to Option 2 and pick up a mid-tier Texas team.

10. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I think it would take some time for everyone to get to those top tier teams. And I think the trajectory is more likely that you'd go from small-mid tier-top tier. So maybe from FIU - Kansas State - Offer from LSU. And it would be really interesting to see, say, if someone had built Kansas State into a power ... do they really leave for the LSU job? And then what if another user gets offered to now vacant role at Kansas State! There's endless possibilities.

11. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

I'm game for a coaching carousel. Start small work to bigger those are fun

• Like Like x 1
  12. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Yep im game for a CC file.

In my other dynasty I spent 2 years at Northern Illinois then went to Mississippi State for 5 years and now I'm in year 1 with LSU

• Like Like x 1
  13. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

It will be interesting because we will actually spread some of the user recruiting around and starting at small schools will let the 6 star schools stay good for a while. We will run into unique challenges when we take over better schools when dealing with recruiting holes and such.

14. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

So we'd start the CC one when the new rosters are out? Or does that even matter

15. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I'd say we can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Yeah I'd say wait until this file starts to feel old

• Like Like x 1
  17. jandy

jandy Walk On

I would love a CC dynasty. I've never played one before, and I think it would be a great time with everyone starting at lower tier schools and trying to work their way up. Plus I wouldn't mind starting with my Toledo Rockets.

I think we can wait till the new roster file is out, but I have to be honest, playing the PAC16 CPU opponents is starting to get a little stale to me.

18. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I already have some ideas churning for how we will do this. Basically there will be a draft and people will get to pick their starting school from a pool of 2 star and possibly a select few 3 star teams. Then there will be an additional draft for people to pick what conference/division they're in.

So we'd once again do 2 conferences, 3 users per division, and custom it up. Likely using the Conference USA and another conference of the like. So the first person to pick would basically pick without strategy. But from there users would maneuver to ensure they don't have to be in the same division as a top competitor, or perhaps to keep certain rivalries alive someone like Glen would decide to be in my division.

• Like Like x 2
  19. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

Awesome plan I can't wait to start fresh

20. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Ok, that sounds pretty cool. If we vote and most everyone wants to start over sooner rather than later, I'm cool with it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

22. jandy

jandy Walk On

I'm down to wait till the new rosters are out and then start over, personally

23. jandy

jandy Walk On

In case anyone was wondering which teams would be available for a 2* dynasty, here are the team prestige ratings for NCAA 14:

NCAA 14 Team Prestige Ratings.PNG

• Like Like x 2
  24. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Personally, I'm not trying to start over any time soon. I'd like to at least do 10 seasons of Chompions.

At the same time, not sure how necessary updated rosters are. Considering we would be replaying the 2013 season, it might make most sense to just use last year's rosters, especially considering we're going to be at schools were we really don't care about this year's real life recruits. Just my opinion though and not a deal breaker either way.

I'd envision us starting the new file around late April, early May ... about the same time this would have died down assuming there was an NCAA 15

• Like Like x 1
  25. Antonio T.

Antonio T. Walk On

I say we should open up all 3 star schools and below. The 2 star schools and below, the choices are few.