The game goes on...FINALLY between Cal/Rutgers

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    After tons of tries trying to get the game in due to inclement weather, horrible stadium conditions and power outages, the Scarlet Knights and Cal Bears finally took the field.

Rutgers was at full strength and it was content to give a heavy dose of SR-RB Jamaal Berry. But early on, both defenses came to play. Rutgers went 3 and out on their first series. Cal would take advantage and would hit the 1st big play of the game, a 37 yard pass from Anderson to Cooper. In the redzone, on 3rd and 4, Anderson tried to hit Poe on a in route but SS Smith came and picked off the errant pass to answer Cal's big play. Rutgers would give Cal a heavy dose of Jamaal Berry. 9 yard run, -3 yard run, Sims to berry for 14 yards, 3 yard run, 15 yhard run, 7 yard run, 12 yard run, Sims to berry for 10 yards. Berry single handedly brought Rutgers down the field. Of course, what better way to end off the drive with a Berry run, 6 yards for the opening 7-0 lead. On the kickoff, Cal's returner fumbled and a huge momentum was swung in favor of Rutgers. Rutgers became aggressive through the air but Cal tightened on defense, deflecting a few passes from David Sims. Rutgers would settle for the FG to give them the 10-0 lead but in essence, this was a huge win for the Cal defense.

Cal's offense was still out of sync and was forced to punt. In danger of falling behind any further, Cal's defense responded by picking off Sims. This was huge and Cal began to feed their best player, RB Isa Sofele. Sofele ran for 8 yards, caught a pass for 19 yards and then put Cal on the board with a 42 yard run to put the score at 10-7.

This was a huge score for Cal. All they had to do was stop Rutgers from scoring and they would at worst, be down by 3 but get the ball back at halftime. With 2:27 left in the half, Rutgers would drive down the field with a bullet pass from Sims to Coleman seemingly putting Rutgers in the endzone with 18 seconds to go. But the refs didn't signal TD so Rutgers called a timeout. HB sting, Berry was stood up at the half inch line, timeout. Rutgers called HB power but AGAIN Berry was stopped! With no timeouts to go, Sims hurried his troops to the line and with 2 seconds to go, snapped the ball...Berry would sneak into the endzone, ending the half with the momentum clearly Rutgers way with the score 17-7.

With the ball in the 2nd half, Cal was looking to get within a TD. Anderson hit star WR Richardson for a long 43 yard pass play. The next two plays, Cal only gained 3 yards but disaster seemed to strike when Rutgers DE Brian Moore nailed Pat Anderson. Anderson was taken out of the game and backup QB A.Bridgford came into the game. 3rd and 7, Rutgers felt confident but Bridgford dropped back, and hit Richardson on a streak...TOUCHDOWN! 17-14. That pass was demoralizing for the Scarlet knights, who were stunned by the turn of events.

It seemed to show on the next possession when Sims was sacked on 1st down. 2nd down he threw an incomplete pass. but on 3rd down, Sims hit Tartacoff and J.T. did the rest, racing through the middle of the field that took Rutgers down to the 4 yard line. Berry was once again contained for two runs in a row. Rutgers decided to go to the air...bad idea. Cal called the perfect defense and Cal defender A.Lagan jumped the small curl and went 96 yards for a TD. Cal took a 21-17 lead and Rutgers was in disbelief.

But this Rutgers team was a never say die team. That next possession Rutgers responded as Sims hit slot WR Nate Little with a perfect pass over the Cal defender for a 50 yard score to give Rutgers the lead going into the 4th quarter.

Cal quickly drove down the field but started to show a glaring weakness in the ST game. Cal's kicker missed a 46 yard FG short that could have tied the game at 24. Wanting to take the sails out of Cal, Sims threw an errant pass and was picked off for the 3rd time in the game. Cal wanted to capitalize but was stopped short and settled for another FG try. This time, same result, as Cal's kicker G.Wright missed AGAIN, this time from 49 yards out.

Rutgers went back to their man, RB Jamaal berry. berry ran for 13 yards (15 yard facemask attached to that), 3 yards and then 15 yards to get Rutgers within the redzone. Rutgers would get a huge score at the end of the drive with Sims hitting TE Burns, who was left wide open in the middle of the field to take the 31-21 lead. With 2:18 left and all of their TO's left, Cal was running out of time. They went 4-5 wide but on their 2nd play of the drive, rutgers's CB Dan Sowell, who leads the team in INT's, picked off Pat Anderson to seal the fate of Cal. Rutgers would wind the clock down and would get their names etched into college football lore for all eternity. Said Coach Moreecemos, "We had a chance a few years ago but this was so satisfying to do it with this bunch of kids...I couldn't be more prouder."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Jeez, Jamaal "Bury" (love the way you say it) had a great game. It sounds like Rutgers is all about their man. Stop him, and you stop Rutgers but Cal was not able to do this. Congrats on a great title and undefeated season, bro.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Tainted.....if the game was Sunday fosh would have won.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

FOSH THIS WAS YOUR CHANCE FOR A TITLE BRO! THEY WERE WHAT YOU THOUGHT THEY WERE! AND YOU LETEMOFFTHEHOOK!

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Nice win Mo! Damn I'm glad Jamaal Berry is taking is ex-Ohio State ass to the pros.

BIG EAST! BIG EAST! BIG EAST!

• Like Like x 2
  6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Congrats on the undefeated season and finishes off Cal.....lucky you didnt play me this year. I think im 2-0 against you in 2011:eek:

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Berry> you!

wooooooooooo

8. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Damn son. That's a helluva win. Congrats. Berry is a god damn beast.

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

About fuggin' time!! I've been paying attention to this league for the past couple of days 1. To see how ya'll handle the file situation 2. To see if I can finally celebrate a championship title with a team from the NJ... Congrats, next time I visit the real life Rutgers campus I'll drink an extra cup of 'Jungle Juice' :)

10. jfosh

jfosh Super

Cal had visions of hoisting the BCS championship trophy right in Bruce's home.....they remain visions after last night.

I think the bars were closed when we finished this one...so fans have to riot tonight back east...lol.

It was a tough game Rutgers played sound defense and covered or wideouts very well.

Ultimately we had our chances, after the 1st missed FG we got the ball right back on a pick. But got sacked and left a long 3rd down. Coaches should have played a smarter series and at the very least got close enough for a 42 yarder.......

Hats off to Rutgers and Mo....

Next year Cal's road will be infinitely harder with trips to UW, UCLA, and Stanford...theres some teams in the PAC-10 ready for some revenge.

11. jfosh

jfosh Super

lol..I would like to agree with this...after pacing around for a couple of days I am sure neither player was as pumped late last night

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I was surprised it played. In fact for some reason I thought it was depth chart issues since I had both my RB's out. Of course I had them off my depth chart. I ran on the first play and it's my 3rd stringer in Lol. So yeah I had to fix that.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Time to celebrate...ima get wasted tonight after the offseason.

14. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

no, no.. do it BEFORE the off-season... it improves your judgement.

15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Well FYI I already had a few drinks at work lol.

16. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Drinking at work? I want your job. Congrats Mo, tough loss Cal...hahahaha

UCLA 11-2 loss to Rutgers NC, and to Cal runner up. I think I can live with that till next year.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Lol u don't want my job. I cook at an assisted living home. I'm cool with the activities lady who was serving fuzzy navels. And I had two cups....

• Like Like x 1