The Golden Eagles

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by 1ke, Jul 18, 2009.

1. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

The Golden Eagles

[​IMG]

2. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Barring any last minute changes, this should be the schedule that Southern Miss will be playing.

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
    09/05/09 vs. Alcorn State Hattiesburg, Miss. 6:00 p.m. CT
    09/12/09 vs. UCF * Hattiesburg, Miss. TBA
    09/19/09 vs. Virginia TV Hattiesburg, Miss. 2:30 p.m. CT
    09/26/09 at Kansas TV Lawrence, Kan. 11:00 a.m. CT
    10/01/09 at UAB * TV Birmingham, Ala. 7:00 p.m. CT
    10/10/09 at Louisville Louisville, Ky. TBA
    10/17/09 vs. Memphis * Hattiesburg, Miss. TBA
    10/24/09 vs. Tulane (Homecoming) * Hattiesburg, Miss. 6:00 p.m. CT
    10/31/09 at Houston * Houston, Texas TBA
    11/14/09 at Marshall * Huntington, W. Va. TBA
    11/21/09 vs. Tulsa * Hattiesburg, Miss. 6:00 p.m. CT
    11/28/09 at East Carolina * Greenville, N.C. TBA
    12/05/09 Conference USA Championship TBA TBA

3. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Schedule

Barring any last minute changes, this should be the schedule that Southern Miss will be playing.

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result
    09/05/09 vs. Alcorn State Hattiesburg, Miss. 6:00 p.m. CT
    09/12/09 vs. UCF * Hattiesburg, Miss. TBA
    09/19/09 vs. Virginia TV Hattiesburg, Miss. 2:30 p.m. CT
    09/26/09 at Kansas TV Lawrence, Kan. 11:00 a.m. CT
    10/01/09 at UAB * TV Birmingham, Ala. 7:00 p.m. CT
    10/10/09 at Louisville Louisville, Ky. TBA
    10/17/09 vs. Memphis * Hattiesburg, Miss. TBA
    10/24/09 vs. Tulane (Homecoming) * Hattiesburg, Miss. 6:00 p.m. CT

4. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Coaching Changes

In a shock move this winter, there was a scandalous incident involving the head coach of the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles, a 20 year female co-ed, a goat, and some photographs. Its reasonable to say, Larry Fedora wont be back in the sidelines this fall. He has resigned, some say asked, but he is gone and he took his loyal coaching staff with him.

Richard Giannini, the Athletic Director had to really save face after the abrupt end to Fedora's short lived career. And with that said he set out to make a splash, especially with the furious Alumni. He decided to go with a fresh name for the Golden Eagles Alumni, and name that has brought them pride and joy recently.

He is the Southern Mississippi Alumni, and Baseball Coach. Yes thats Right, Corky Palmer has signed on to handle the coaching duties for the football team as well.

[​IMG]

In the Press Conference, Corky stated that his first Hire will be a mysterious character as a assistant. He only referred to him as Ike, and said he will handle everything that Corky couldn't. Game planning, recruiting being the main two aspects of his duties.

Ike, already stirring up a bit of contreversy, decided to skip the press conference because of a prior date with a girl. When asked, Corky stated with a smile "Thats Ike, at least he kept his word".

5. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Schedule

Barring any last minute changes, this looks like the schedule USM has agreed to play this upcoming season.

2009-2010 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time
    09/05/09 vs. Alcorn State Hattiesburg, Miss. == W 48-10
    09/12/09 vs. UCF * Hattiesburg, Miss. == W 30-16
    09/19/09 vs. Virginia TV Hattiesburg, Miss. == W 28-21
    09/26/09 at Kansas TV Lawrence, Kan. == W 30-10
    10/01/09 at UAB * TV Birmingham, Ala. == W 41-22
    10/10/09 at Louisville Louisville, Ky. == W 44-21
    10/17/09 vs. Memphis * Hattiesburg, Miss. == W 45-20
    10/24/09 vs. Tulane (Homecoming) * Hattiesburg, Miss. == W 49=21

6. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

The Players

These are the three main players on the team to watch out for. Ass Coach Ike was quoted as saying...

"Those three guys are our team. They are our present and our future, We have to build around those three!"

1. Damion Fletcher - 12-11 GS of GP. 219 1347 Att and YDS. 10 Tds
    2. Austin Davis - 13 GP. 261-454 COMP and ATT 57.5 3128 YDS 23 TDs
    3. DeAndre Brown - 13 GP 67 1117 CTHS and YDS 16.7 AVG 12 TDs

7. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Recruiting

Ill Update this on a weekly basis. Who stays, who goes, who commits.

Southern Miss

Seniors Leaving: 17
    Players on Roster: 68
    5 stars allowed: 0
    4 stars allowed: 9
    Total schollys allowed: 17
    Maximum (offering to 70): 19

Week 7 Board: 12 Targets

4* G Tyler Matthews --- Offer
    4* FS Sam Cooper --- Offer
    4* CB Tony Robison --- Offer
    4* CB Brian Martin --- Offer
    3* WR Lamce Wyatt -- Offer
    2* DE Jacob Wheatley --- Offer
    2* WR Stephen Jones --- Offer
    2* T Clint Benson --- Offer
    2* HB Brent Nicholson --- Offer
    2* FB Kevin Allen --- Offer
    2* T Chris Anderson -- Offer

Added
    4* CB Brian Martin

11 Offers + 3 Commits

4* TE Luke Rogers --- Offer --- Committed
    4* SS Greg Berry --- Offer --- Committed
    2* OLB Lionel Overstreet --- Offer --- Committed

8. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 1. Vs FCS East....

Just utter domination, had to tell the boys to ease up in the thrid. Had all the backups in by the 4th. Not really anthything to talk about. Typical preseason blowout.

9. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 2. Vs UCF (NatiSaint)

Very very difficult game. Lots of defense to go around. USM very first play resulted in fumble and recovery by UCF. The defense had to come up big, and did holding the Knights to just three points.

Next possesion, USM went down the field in four plays to have th Knights defense shut them down in the redzone.

Much of the game resulted in a back and forth defenseive battle with the game opening up in the fourth. A screen pass a perfect spin moce by the running back led to a big play giving USM the lead with under 2 minutes left in the game.

On UCF's next possesion, they had to move the ball quickly, but the QB got hit and the lame duck pass was taken to the endzone to seal the first conference win of the season!

Great game by both parties.

10. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 3 Vs. Virginia

Week 3 vs Virginia! Things got hairy.

Ass Coach Ike started out by saying this...
    In the middle of answering his questions, he also went on about his offense.
    He finished his presser with this nice comment.
    "

11. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Souther Miss Commits

First up to commit is......(Drum-roll)

:2stars:
    Lionel Overstreet - #46 OLB
    6'6" 225 LBS

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

6'6" seems to be the magic height this year..

Im recruiting 3 6'6" guys..

one is a QB who I am hoping I can turn into the next Colin Kaepernick (y)
    It's gonna be tough to replace LeFevour (n)

13. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 4 at Kansas

Week 4 vs Kansas was built up all week on campus as "the big one".

Ass coach Ike had this to say about the game.

14. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 5 Vs. UAB

Week 5 Vs. UAB

The Student Printz Headline.
    "Brown strengthens his Heisman candiidacy after leading Southern Miss t victory."

It has been said many many times this week,
    Coach Ike had this to say,
    It should be stated, that there was not a full blown amount of happiness. We wanted to embarrass them and make it ugly, one player was quoted as saying. It never should have gotten as close as it was. But the fact that it was close, shows how much these players are striving for greatness.

Both teams shared 400 plus yards on offense. Both teams were very balanced throughout the game. USM had 30 rushes, and 32 passes. UAB had 32 rushes and 35 passes. Both offenses showed how much they can produce, with the difference between the two teams being turnovers.

USM had one int for a TD (finally) and a huuuge hit resulting in a fumble that also returned for a TD. Without those two plays, USM still wins, but im curious to see the score.

Also, the recruiting page has been updated.

15. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

I like trying to get giants to come play for me. Well see how this dude turns out. Hell be redshirted, so hell have a chance to progress.

16. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 6 VS Louisville

Week 6 @ Louisville
    Southern Miss 44 Louisville 21​

This game started out well for Louisville, on the opening kick off they returned it 92 yards to open the scoring. 7-0 before you know it, but it didnt take long for the Golden Eagles to come back. One TD and two FGs and one more TD later USM was back on top. With each team scoring one more time before half time, the score at the half was 27-14.

The second half was much more of the same, USM doing whatever they wanted to offensively with each drive either ending in a score or a turnover. With the game pretty much in control the entire second half, USM just had to make sure to limit the mistakes and stay healthy.

With one goal in mind, USM executed and got out of there with a win for a tricky mid-season non conference game.

17. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 7 vs Memphis

Week 7 vs Memphis
    Southern Miss 45 Memphis 20​

Coming back home to conference play was the motto this week for a rivalry game vs Memphis. Memphis jumped out early to grab a 3-0 lead. But it was on downhill from there as USM went on 31-7 run to close out the first half. The story was pretty much identical to the Louisville game.

This seems to be a trend. Teams get up early, USM comes back like a typhoon, and puts it in cruise control for the second half, just trying to focus on getting better and limiting the big plays.

18. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 9 vs Tulane

Homecoming
    Week 9 vs Tulane
    Southern Miss 49 Tulane 21​

In what was thought to be a successful homecoming victory, we were able to catch up with our favorite Ass coach Ike after the game. He wasn't as happy as some of the Alumni at the game and that's for sure.

So what did you think of the game tonight coach?
    When asked if he had anything else to say he easily answered...
    So how can you improve to your liking coach?

19. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Week 9 vs Houston

Week 9 at Houston​

Southern Miss 35 Houston 21​

This game was being hyped all week, weekend, day, hour! The Golden Eagles boys got it done though. This game was expected to be a tough battle throughout the game, and it turned out that way.

Houston, got the ball first and walked right down the field to have the drive stall out. Southern Miss then did the same thing. The breakthrough play came on a 60 yd run by the senior rb #2 on the depth chart. He was in spelling the starter and figured he would take things into his own hands.

From there, a qb getting hit and tossing up a lame duck pass resulted in a pick six. On that kickoff, the Houston return man, avoided the first two tacklers only to be leveled and fumbling, resulting in a returned TD.

Momentum had showed its face in favour of USM, and from there USM had to play smart while holding off what looked to be a comeback. In that comeback came the play of the game for USM fans, with Houston needing to convert a 4th down, to stay in the game, the USM Freshman LB made a diving swat to knock down a pass that looked good enough for a first down.

That saved a couple of headaches to come, and from there one more score to the Heisman leader to seal the deal, and it was all she wrote. Great game and now we must continue to fight on!

20. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Tulsa

Week 12 Vs Tulsa
    Tulsa 41 Southern Miss 32

After making short work of Marshall the week earlier, USM had shifted its focus to Tulsa. In theory at least, because what happened game day was not anything that had to do with focus.

Tulsa came out and made no secrets about what they wanted to do offensively. They an the option, USM has seen the option before, but nothing like this. A player was quoted saying, "they came to the lone, and we knew what they were going to do." So then it comes down to execution, and as a team, the team sucked. Could not tackle, could not block, two very essential things when trying to win a damn football game.

On offense, the team was forced to punt after coming up short on three eperate occasions of 3rd and 1. Frustrating! When a pass was attempted, there was a sack, senior lineman getting beat from the snap. Frustrating! A dropped pass here, and no broken tackles it seemed like ever. More frustrating.

Defense, well, 6-6 on third downs on the first half, missed tackles all game, and no matter what, it seemed like there was not a tackle that didnt result in a Tulsa player falling forward. Asking as coach Ike what he thought after the game, he looked at me as sad a person as I have ever seen, he looked and said....

I doubt hell sleep tonight. With conference still in mind they have to regroup.

21. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

A quick end of season recap....

Season 1 finsihed out strong, going 13-1 and winning the Conference USA championship.

22. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Season 2 started out with a very very difficult and sloppy defensive battle away to Buffalo.

Things got a bit better throughout non-conference and the games were relatively easy.

The most difficult schedule in the country was here for USM. It consist of 3 away games to 3 users in a row. They were not easy games, and the schedule proved to be too much as the team gave up a Hail Mary at the last second of their third and final of the three games.

23. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I would beg to differ, I haven't taken a good look at your schedule, but troy's is pretty damn tough. Very tough.

24. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Season 3

Season 3 is here​

25. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Southern Miss vs Buffalo

Same recap as before....