The Hearald (Official Newspaper of the Arkansas State Red Wolves)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Lee.Flex, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

The Hearald (Official Newspaper of the Arkansas State Red Wolves)

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Wolves To Follow New Pack Leader
    Jonesboro, AR

After a disappointing 26 point loss to conference rival Florida International, head coach Steve Roberts steps down from his position to hand over the coaching reigns to 1st year Head Coach Markus Frieske. Frieske Begins his tenure at Arkansas State (3-3) after a laundry list of associate and assistant positions at Washington, Air Force, Texas A&M, and most recently Iowa. Across an impressive 15 seasons experience Frieske tallies an astounding record of 137 wins and 43 losses with 9 bowl appearances.

Arkansas State University held a press conference earlier today flooded with questions for the newest pack leader. The overwhelmed Freiske responded well to the field of questions which seems to be a good sign of confidence and optimism for the Red Wolves in the near future. When asked what his plans were to turn the 3-3 Red Wolves around, Frieske replied " We just have to do things right. We have to play smart football. Its not about how many points you score or how many big plays your team has, its about having a plan, executing it, and making the big play when your number is called." Senior starting Quarterback Corey Leonard was asked what his thoughts were on the coaching change and he hesitantly stated that " He would do his best to lead the team in a time of great confusion, misdirection, and abandonment."

The Red Wolves square up next against Big East powerhouse Louisville (4-3). Although Louisville hasn't lived up to their potential this season they hope to turn it around against the wolves. Frieske was asked to comment on Louisville and noted that " Although he has never seen them play he and the coaches are working around the clock to gameplan against the cardinals." When senior defensive end and 2008 Sun Belt Defensive MVP Alex Carrington commented on the recent coaching change and its potential change in defensive gameplan, he stated " We just have to go out there and play tough. We know our abilities. We can't solely rely on the coach to make plays for us. We make the plays. It's on us."

I assure you that the game will be ground breaking in many ways. Does Frieske have what it takes to turn this program in the right direction? Or will he howl at the moon for help? Tune in to your regional programmer on October 31st.

3. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

3-3.... need to make that run for a Bowl Game. Nice write up.

4. Emmdotfrisk

Key Injuries Prove To Be No Problem for Wolves

Key Injuries Prove To Be No Problem for Wolves
    Louisville, KY

From kickoff to the 30 second count down the Wolves and Cardinals engaged in battle. Both defenses came out of the gates hot producing tandem "3 and outs" and ensuing the remainder of the quarter. That's when all hell broke loose. Louisville maintained possession at the start of the second quarter, driving down the field aimlessly as if they turned on a switch between the break. In less than 30 seconds and 5 plays Louisville was in scoring position, driving the ball into the endzone capitalizing first with a 1 yrd hb dive by red-shirt sophomore Victor Anderson. This sent the tempo for both offenses.

The Red Wolves then showed their offensive true colors show as they pounded the ball down the field and scoring on 4 yard pass to fullback Jeff Blake. The Cardinals quickly scored to go ahead 14 to 7 before the half.

Head Coach Markus Frieske rallied the troops at half encouraging the team would achieve victory, resuming possession at the start of the second half. But then the unthinkable happened. 2 plays into the drive Senior Quarterback Corey Leonard suffered a Tim Tebow like concussion from a blind side hit, such a hit that would sideline him for the remainder of the game. With big shoes to fill, the Wolves looked to Red-shirt Freshmen Ryan Alpin. Alpin, unaware of the situation and all that lie on his shoulders completed his first two passes. Ironically after settling down he then threw his first career interception. After a few changes in possession Senior Running back and offensive leader Reggie Arnold was knocked out of the game. He has yet to visit the doctors but an update on his condition will be listed at a later date. This gave sophomore running back Derek Lawson an opportunity to step up. He scored quickly on a 2 yard run shortly into the third quarter but the Cardinals returned the favor on another touchdown run by Victor Anderson.

Fifteen seconds into the fourth quarter Alpin threw his first career touchdown on a play action FB dump to Jeff Blake, which was Blake's second receiving touchdown of the game. Blake ended the game with an unusually high 80 yards receiving on 5 catches. The red wolves then stuffed the Cardinals, drove down the field and scored on a Lawson 3 yard run, his second touchdown of the game. With 1 minute left in the game and an 8 point deficit, the Cardinals marched down the field almost instantaneously, scoring on a Anderson 11 yard run with 33 seconds left in the game. With the crowd roaring and a 28-26 score, Louisville needed a 2 pt conversion to tie the game. Buckling down, the Red Wolves stopped running back Anderson on a flat just 5 yards short of the goal line, sealing their 4th win in the 2009 season.

"Both underclassmen performed exceptional under the circumstances of the environment," noted Frieske about their efforts. Alpin eventually regained composure to complete 10 of 17 passes for 154 passing with 1 TD and 2 INT. "Lawson ran tough and I am proud of his effort today, he really showed me something about his character," stated Frieske about the red shirt sophomore who gained player of the game accolades with 20 carries for 120 yards, with 2 TDs. Frieske's closing comments were, "Although we have'nt heard from the doctors about Arnold, I will be looking forward to Lawson's efforts next game. This was a good win. It feels good to be wearing red and black."

Arkansas State's notched 467 of offensive and 545 of total yards. Their defense aided in the win by only allowing 60 yards on the ground.

Frieske and the Red Wolves will resume conference play again in Jonesboro against the UL Lafayette Rajun Cajuns on November 7th

5. Emmdotfrisk

Arnold To Miss Up To 2 Weeks

Arnold to Be Sidelined for UL Game
    Jonesboro, AR

Doctors report that Senior Running back Reggie Arnold is doubtful for the November 7th game against the University of Louisiana Lafayette Rajun Cajuns. Senior Quarterback and Captain Corey Leonard is listed as probable for the game. Head Coach Markus Frieske commented that "he will get the start but may seem limited action." With addition to these injuries, the red Wolves find themselves lacking senior leadership on both sides of the ball with Senior Cornerback Daylan Walker and Senior Strong Safety Evan Van Dolah out for the remainder of the season.

We asked Frieske if he was concerned with the injuries and he replied "We've got some talented guys. We might not have the most talented in the nation but they work hard, play tough and are always learning to get better. This week will be very important for us. We are 1-2 in conference and need to turn things around if we want a shot at the title."

Next weeks game will be at 2:30pm and televised on the Sun Belt Network.

6. Emmdotfrisk

Defense Crumble in 55-50 loss to Louisiana Lafayette

Defense Crumble in 55-50 loss to Louisiana Lafayette
    *Jonesboro, AR

Without the foundation that is the defense, the whole house crumbles. The Arkansas State Red Wolves allowed 778 total yards on defense with almost 400 yards in the air. From opening kickoff to the end of the game both teams scored relentlessly, seeming without end. The Red Wolves had an opportunity to win the game with 2 seconds left on the clock on the 5 yard line but RSFR QB Ryan Alpin's pass to TE JT Jordan fell to the endzone grass after skipping through his hands.

"Although we had a chance to win at the end there, we didn't play well enough on defense to win the game. Even with Leonard and Arnold out, our offense did all they could to try and get us a win. It's a shame our defense couldn't stop them to a hold," commented Head Coach Frisk after the game. Senior QB Corey Leonard ended up starting the game but was taken out midway through the second quarter after re-aggravating his previous injury. Leonard threw for 155 yards on 13 passes with 18 attempts and 2 TD. He is listed day to day and we will hear more from the team trainers.

Backup RSFR QB Ryan Alpin once again performed in relief of Leonard, throwing for 198 yards on 13 completions with 24 attempts and 2 TD's. Frisk commented on Alpin's playing by stating, " He (Alpin) played extremely well again this game. I am looking forward to a future with this young man. He will only get better."

Offensive player of the game for the second week in a row, Derek Lawson once again carried for over the century mark. Lawson finished the game against the Cajuns with 141 yards on 33 carries with 2 TD's. This brings Lawson's season rushing total to 385 yards off of 83 carries with 5 TD's.

The Red Wolves continue conference play on November 14th, looking to upset Sun Belt conference Championship contender Florida Atlantic University Owls (4-3, 3-1).

7. Emmdotfrisk

Alpin to start vs Owls

ALPIN TO START AGAINST OWLS
    *Jonesboro, AR

After a set of X-rays and visiting with the team trainers and team doctor it has been confirmed that Senior QB Corey Leonard will be out for at least 2-3 weeks with a broken toe. Leonard left the Lafayette game early last Saturday, what was expected to be turf toe. " I feel terrible that he (Leonard) has been hit with the injury bug this season. He is a fierce and talented Quarterback who has been the leader of this team for more than 2 years now. I hope this doesn't affect his chances to be playing on Sunday," stated Head Coach Frisk after receiving the doctors results.

Leonard's replacement will be FR Ryan Alpin who has seen time in only 3 games this season. We touched with Alpin who stated, " I'm excited to get my first collegiate start and lead our team to victory. I feel terrible that Corey (Leonard) is injured. He has done so much for this team and has taught me so much about the game."

The Red Wolves 4-4 (1-3) travel to Boca Raton, FL to face the 5-3 (4-1) Florida Atlantic Owls. This game will be televised on ESPNU at 3:30 pm

8. Emmdotfrisk

Defense Embarassed By Owls

Defense Embarassed By Owls
    * Jonesboro, AR

In a game where offense thrives and defense dies, the Arkansas State Red Wolves (4-5) allowed 875 total yards, 311 yards through the air, 164 on the ground, and nearly 400 on kick and punt returns.

The Florida Atlantic Owls (6-3) reached the endzone a whopping total of 6 times, 3 on the ground and 3 in the air. The Owls Quarterback Ryan Smith through for 311 yards on 37 attempts, connecting with 23 of them. Runningback Will Rose ran for 180 yards on 22 carries with three TD's, giving him FAU's player of the game. We couldn't stop them. They have some talented players but I am unhappy with our defense's ability to adjust, " Head Coach Frisk commented on the Wolves defensive efforts. The Owls are now bowl eligible and look towards week 11.

A beaming ray of hope for Arkansas State happened to be their offense who stood tall racking up 798 total yards offense. Super Sophomore Quarterback Ryan Alpin had another fantastic day throwing for 454 yards and 1 TD on 55 attempts with 29 completions. Frisk noted on Alpin's performance that " Once again he has proved to me that he is a competitor. I am excited to see what this young man is capable of."

Senior RB Reggie Arnold returned to his first game fresh off of injury. He saw limited time with only 73 yards on 18 carries, with 4 TD's which labeled him as the Red Wolves Player of the Game.

The Red Wolves search to cure their dry spell against 2-7 Middle Tennessee State Next Saturday November 21st. With three remaining conference games, the Red Wolves need to win out in order to be considered bowl eligible and end .500 in conference play.

9. Emmdotfrisk

Red Wolves First Commit of 2009

Robinson commits to Arkansas State after close loss to UL Lafayette.
    *Jonesboro, AR

:2stars: DE 5'11" 230 Robert Robinson
    * Robinson commits early to play for the Red Wolves after visiting for the Lafayette game. Robinson, residing from Florida was being recruited by UL Monroe and CMU but chose to stay closer to home and play for the Red Wolves. Robinson's key attributes are highlighted by good tackling and run pursuit. With defensive lineman graduating for the Red Wolves after this season, look for Robinson to make an immediate impact.

With this recruit the Red Wolves still search to sign their remaining alottment of 21 scholarships.

10. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Wow! Would of loved to see that offensive attack. over 1600 yards between the 2 teams!!! Thats a lot of offense..... to bad you don't have a defense bro, because your offense rocks!

11. Emmdotfrisk

haha I know, its depressing....I might need to stir some things up a bit

12. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Emmdot, what type of offense are you running, spread pass/spread option/fleXbox One/westcoast/balanced/option?

13. Emmdotfrisk

I run Iowa's playbook....I've played so many games with that playbook I know everyplay inside and out, strengths, situations, ect. Every team I take over I recruit to cater to that playbook.

So the basic set is I with two wideouts, TE, and 2 Backs. Of course there are variations off of that bumping TE to SLOT, Bumping FB to SLOT, you get the point.

14. Emmdotfrisk

Arkansas State Looking for the "Golden 21"

Arkansas State Looking for the "Golden 21"
    * Jonesboro, AR

We snuck into the Head Coach of Arkansas State's Football team Frisk for a quick Q&A about upcoming games and his plans to improve for the next season.

The Hearald (TH): How do you plan to turn things around?

Frisk (F): We will be mixing things up this week. Look for us to run some different looks on defense. We have had trouble in the past two games but I am determined to put us in a better situation position to win us a ball game.

TH: Its good to hear you are trying to fight for the boys and progress your team. Are you worried that the defense will let you guys down again Mid Tennessee State?

F: No. Absolutely not. We have a talented defense and we just have to fine tune them to a point they are comfortable and can perform at their best.

TH: So if you guys lose 1 of the next three games do you think you will still be bowl eligible?

F: It's tough to say. Say we beat Middle Ten and North Texas but lose to Western Kentucky, we will be 6-6. We will have the six wins, but in the Sun Belt I don't think we are likely to receive a bid. To assure us a bowl we need to win out.

TH: After this season you have 19 Seniors leaving. Are you concerned with the leadership that is leaving?

F: As always it hurts to lose Seniors and Juniors to the draft but our recruiting coordinator and myself are working hard to find the Golden 21.

TH: The Golden 21? Please Explain.

F: Haha. The Golden 21 is a term we came up with. It signifies the 21 players that will come in and reshape this team. I have a specific gameplan in mind and need to cater our players to that gameplan in order for it to work.

TH: Can you elaborate on your game plan?

F: Sorry, I'm afraid I can't. I don't want to let my secret out. I tell you what. I will give you our Recruiting notes for our needs and priorities as of right now...

TH: Thanks, we will include that with the article. Ladies and gentlemen, Head Coach of the Arkansas State Red Wolves Frisk.

F: Thank you

Arkansas State Red Wolves Team Needs

QB - Desperately need 2 quarterbacks. Returners JR Alpin (71) and RSFR Butterfield for next year (74)

HB - Deperately need 2 or 3 halfbacks. Returners JR Lawson (77) and SO Jones (68)

FB - Need 1 FB in the next two years.

WR - Losing top 4. Need 4 that can step in and play. Returners SR Henderson (74) FR McCants (70) SO Stockmeyer (63) FR Muse (62)

TE - need 2 solid TE's

OL - Need 4 or 5 lineman, the more the merrier

DL - Badly need 4 DE's Losing both seniors, only 50 OVR's left...ouch. Maybe need one DT. Can move DT to DE if have to.

LB - LB is the poorest position on the team...Need GOOD LB's if not good, dont get em

CB - No CB's unless they are unbelievably good

S - Dont need safety's

RECRUITING PRIORITY LIST
    1. DE (1 commit, Robinson)
    2. WR
    3. LB
    4. HB
    5. OL
    6. QB
    7. TE
    8. FB
    9. S
    10. CB

15. Emmdotfrisk

OFFENSE LEADS WOLVES TO 45-35 VICTORY

OFFENSE LEADS WOLVES TO 45-35 VICTORY

[​IMG]

The Arkansas State Red Wolves (5-5) showed up offensively once again against the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (3-8) in Murfreesboro. The offense tallied up 234 yards on the ground and 295 in the air to produce a very balanced attack.

KEY PLAYERS OF THE GAME

[​IMG]

RSSR QB Corey Leonard
    Fresh off of a broken toe, was given the nod for the start completing 25 passes out of 37 with 295 yards and 4 TD's.

[​IMG]

RSSR HB Reggie Arnold
    Reggie tore it up on the ground with 34 carries for 216 yards and 1 TD.

THE BOTTOM LINE
    The Red Wolves improve to 5-5 and 2-4 in conference play. They travel back home to Jonesboro to face rival North Texas (4-6, 3-4) and will need to win to be on the bubble for bowl eligibility.​

16. Emmdotfrisk

RED WOLVES ARE BOWL BOUND!

RED WOLVES ARE BOWL BOUND! WIN 26-10

[​IMG]

The Arkansas State Red Wolves (7-5) defeated a tough opponent in Western Kentucky (6-6) this saturday to wrap up season and conference play. It was a very technical battle between both teams resulting in a relatively low scoring game with 36 total points between both squads.

The Red Wolves were able to harness the Hilltoppers after star Runningback Terrell Hayden left the game with a minor injury. Arkansas State held Western Kentucky to only 280 yards of total offense, 146 of it being through the air.

The hilltoppers scored the opening drive in the first and then again in the second by way of field goal. They were unable to reach the endzone the rest of the game.

PLAYERS OF THE GAME

[​IMG]

RSSR QB #1 Corey Leonard 16-25 with 210 yards passing with 2 TD's

[​IMG]

SR CB #12 Cordadarious Mingo 5 Tackles, 2 INT

UP NEXT FOR THE RED WOLVES

Now that the Red Wolves are bowl eligible, they must sit and wait to see what bowl and who their opponent will be. While the championship games are played during championship week, the team will be game planning and going over film throughout the year.

The Red Wolves are predicted to play in the EagleBank Bowl on December 20th at 4:30 pm against Navy. ​

17. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Your HB had like 120 yards rushing also.

18. Emmdotfrisk

ARKANSAS STATE 2010 SEASON OUTLOOK

ARKANSAS STATE RED WOLVES PICKED TO WIN 2010 SUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP

[​IMG]

2010 ARKANSAS STATE RED WOLVES SEASON PREVIEW

SCHEDULE

8/28 at #2 Florida
    9/4 Louisville
    9/11 Iowa
    9/18 at #22 Cincinnatti
    9/25 at FIU
    10/2 UL Monroe
    10/9 at North Texas
    10/14 at UL Lafayette
    10/23 FAU
    11/4 Middle Tennessee State
    11/13 at Troy
    11/27 Western Kentucky

2009 Record: (8-5)

2009 Bowl: Magic-Jack St. Petersburg Bowl (vs Lousiville, W 26-10)

Coach: EmmdotFrisk (5-2)

Returning Leaders for ASU:

Rushing: RSSR HB Derek Lawson, RB, 122 carries for 618 yards 6 TD's
    Passing: RSSO QB Ryan Alpin, 60-109 973 yards passing 6 TD's
    Receiving: RSSR WR Lucious Henderson, 13 receptions for 148 yards 1 TD
    Tackles: RSSR FS Marquette Williams, 71 Tackles, 4 TFL
    Sacks: RSSR DT Bryan Hall, 4 Sacks
    Interceptions: RSSR SS MD Jennings, 6 interceptions

Other Key Returnees: RSJR FB Jermain Robertson, JR LT Brandon Johnson, RSSR LG Alfred Louis, SR C Tom Castilaw, RSSR RG Drew Hilton, RSSR RT Derek Newton, JR MLB Justin Robertson, RSJR CD Jaquan Kilcrease,

Key Losses:QB Corey Leonard, HB Reggie Arnold, WR Brandon Thompkins, K Josh Aracuo, S Marcus Brown, DT Khari Mays, LB Javon McKinnon, WR Jahbari McLennan, WR Jarriel Norman, G Dominic Padrta, S Evan Van Dolah, CB Daylan Walker

Preseason All - Sun Belt Picks

1st Team: C Tom Castilaw
    2nd Team: HB Derek Lawson, DT Bryan Hall

OUTLOOK
    Arkansas State had the second best rushing offense and third best total offense in the Sun Belt Conference during the 2009 campaign. Much of that success can be attributed to the stellar play of the offensive line. Every OL is returning so look for a lot of the same for the 2010 campaign. Although they have lost phenom RB Reggie Arnold look for Derek Lawson to step up this season.​

19. Emmdotfrisk

ASU's QB CONTROVERSY

ASU's QB CONTROVERSY

[​IMG]
    VS.
    [​IMG]

Coach Frisk is debating on what QB to send out against Lousiville on Florida. RSFR Philip Butterfield redshirted last year and had a phenomenal camp showing great improvement. RSSO Ryan Alpin proved he could run with the big boys when he filled in for former ASU QB Corey Leonard.

Frisk sent out Butterfield against Florida but with little experience Butterfield made some questionable throws, possibly costing them the game. When Alpin entered the game the Red Wolves scored quickly on the strength and accuracy of his arm.

When we asked Frisk about his decision he stated, " I am impressed with the abilities of both of these young quarterbacks. Ryan showed me a lot last year but Philip has also proved he belongs on this team and demands a chance. I will give both quarterbacks an opportunity to show their abilities these first few games and will have a decision soon. As for next game Alpin will get the start but that doesn't mean Philip will be on the bench for long."