The hunt for a BCS Championship game slot

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by thievaryx, Jan 6, 2010.

1. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

The hunt for a BCS Championship game slot

BCS Rankings as of Mid week12:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    BCS Rank - - Team - - - - User - - - - Toughest test left? - -
    1 [​IMG] ryty Florida in SEC championship game
    2 [​IMG] CPU SouthCar then ACC ccg vs either Duke or Miami. Seems like smooth sailing for this CPU.
    3 [​IMG] skip Tough sailing ahead: Lone Star Shootout vs T2EXPRESS and then a BigXII ccg vs Colorado or Nebraska.
    4 [​IMG] CPU Light schedule: vsIndiana, @MSU, @UNC. Could easily sneak in if one team above stumbles.
    5 [​IMG] sdid Alabama in CCG. If they beat #20 FSU, then winner of the CCG game should get a spot for the BCS championship game.
    6 [​IMG] CPU Michigan
    7 [​IMG] CPU games vs #8 NWU and #6 Ohio State
    8 [​IMG] CPU Michigan
    9 [​IMG] CPU Notre Dame
    10 [​IMG] controller Left out of CCG. Playing for a BCS bowl bid.
    11 [​IMG] thievaryx Colorado, to decide the BigXII north. Again.
    12 [​IMG] CPU USC
    13 [​IMG] ndcolts Only game remaining is vsIowa State. Shut out of BigXII ccg.
    14 [​IMG] drunk games left vs Vandy and GeorgiaTech. Both teams are 3-6 and GU is shut out of the SEC ccg.

So lets Recap! Its quite interesting at the top.
    1. Bama controls its destiny
    2. Clemson could be left out if Bama wins out and Texas does too
    3. Texas needs to win out and a Clemson loss... or some style points. Would benefit from facing (and beating) a higher ranked Nebraska team (over Colorado) in the CCG
    4. Penn State has a weak back end of its schedule and no CCG. Expect them to keep winning... and keep dropping.
    5. Florida needs to take care of business, beat Bama in the CCG, and most likely have either Texas or Clemson stumble. They would most likely leapfrog Penn State as they dont have a CCG nor any impressive games left on schedule.
    6. The Big10 will canabilize itself in the following slots and the others would need some sort of voodoo to get into the national championship.

2. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

So, if sdid or ryty loses... And I win out... I should make a major BCS bowl?

3. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

If you win out, I think you are pretty much assured a BCS spot. Lots of teams ahead of you are still playing each other, especially those Big10 CPU teams.

If I were you, I would be pulling for ryty in the SEC championship.

By the way, 4 Big10 teams in the top 8. What the hell?

4. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Yeah, CA. You should be pulling for BAMA!!!!!

5. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

go aggies? we are bowl eligible?

6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Texas already beat Colorado once. Colorado would like a rematch, but most likely will not make it past Nebraska.

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

CA if you win out you should get an At-Large BCS Bid. Dude is right...root for Bama. If Bama wins, Florida will drop and could drop out of the BCS At-Large contention...if Florida wins a nail biter which this game is bound to be...Bama would likely get an At-Large. A pretty solid Bama win and an LSU running of the table could see the Tigers in the Sugar Bowl, especially with all those Big10 teams yet to play. If Skip wins out and the CCG and makes it to the Natty...you could possibly play in the Fiesta Bowl. Either way...I wouldn't be surprised if your opponent in a BCS Bowl is Notre Dame or one of the Big10 teams. LSU, Notre Dame, or one of the 4 Big10 teams will get the At-Large Bids...but which two will it be?

Penn State won't lose with that schedule...Im assuming they lead the Big10 and will get in the Rose. Northwestern and Ohio St both play Michigan...not each other...so its doubtful all 3 of them will lose...so the Big10 should get 2 BCS teams. ND plays USC...if I were you Id be hoping USC wins that one. You can't let ND jump you and if they beat USC...that could happen. So...your best case scenario for a BCS Bowl...

1. Bama beats up Florida in SEC CCG
    2. Michigan loses to either Ohio St or Northwestern and beats the other...an upset of PSU by UNC or MSU wouldn't hurt either. It's doubtful 2 Big10 teams get At-Large Bids...but if Michigan loses both games...and OSU and NU win out...it could happen.
    3. USC Stomps ND

8. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

One thing, I lost to Florida, will that make a difference?

9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Nope...just depends on where you are ranked in the BCS Standings.

The BCS and the procedure really isn't hard to figure out. What is tough is when you have multiple undefeated teams, 1-loss teams who should be there, and the At-Large Bids.

There are 5 BCS Bowls and each major Conference (ACC, BigXII, Big10, BigEast, Pac10, and SEC) get 1 automatic bid to their Conference Champion. They are pre-determined bowls...

Rose-Pac10 v Big10
    Orange-ACC
    Sugar-SEC
    Fiesta-BigXII

The BigEast and 2 At-Large Teams would fill the gaps. The top 2 teams in the BCS Standings play for the National Championship. The At-Large Bids are determined by (1) Rating (2) Notre Dame gets auto-bid if in top 8 (3) Non-BCS in top 12 or top 16 ahead of a conference champion. So...if the SoCo season were to end today, with the standings the way they are and current conference leaders, this is what you could have....

Conf Leaders in Bold, At-Large in Italics

BCS NCG- Bama v Clemson
    Rose-USC v Michigan
    Fiesta-Texas v Notre Dame
    Orange-Penn St v Nebraska
    Sugar- Florida v USF

Those At-Large teams could go to any bowl in any combination. That is just my guess...

BUT....

If it were to end the way it is...there are 4 Big10 teams rated high enough...I took conference leader Michigan and highest rated Penn State. There are also other SEC teams (LSU, UGA) who are eligible and BigXII teams (Nebraska, Kansas St). It is really too early to tell who will go where. It won't be getting clearer until CCG Week. You just need to hope thos 3 things happen that I stated earlier and stay ahead of Florida in the BCS Polls. Sorry sdid, hope we're not crashing your BCS Dreams!!! But right now, 2 SEC teams will make it in...and Bama and LSU are my favorite's to go...

10. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Damn you boys are good great job cimmy and omni!

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

It is tough to start making predictions with the standings the way they are. 4 Big10 teams in top 8!!! If Michigan loses to both OSU and NU there could be 3 total Big10 teams in the top 5 or 6...each deserving a BCS Bowl. That would complicate things a ton and I don't know how the BCS handles 3 conference teams that should go. This is one of the toughest BCS Standings I have tried to decipher and I am always trying to figure it out early and make plans. This is a mess and could go about 1,000 different ways.

12. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

where is the love?

13. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Yea, that Big10 scenario really throws things for a loop. Possibly we could have 3 Big10 teams in the top 6 and ND in the top8 (AQ).

Best case scenario for those looking to squeak into the BCS might be for Michigan to beat up on NU and OSU, and PSU to get upset.

Also the ND vs USC game is very important. I didn't check the Pac10 standings, but most likely USC will represent the Pac10... users should be pulling for a USC victory in that case.

14. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

Look for an update of this thread today at some point.