Archived The Hype Train

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JerzeyReign, Mar 12, 2012.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

ALL NCAA '13 Related Stuff Will Be Posted Here

2. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

3. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

have you given any thought to the format we'll use in Chaos '13? I'm sure everybody has a few ideas

4. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

How about we cause chaos and build teams...no freaking Ohio State and Florida State homerism......every team starts at the bottom

• Like Like x 1
  5. f4cekha0s

f4cekha0s The Mad Hatter

id do it.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Do I give you the impression that I'm a person that does a lot of thinking? :D Nah, honestly I haven't but I think I'd like us all to stay pretty closely bunched.

I wanted to try, actually with this release, that everyone starts at a school that 'maps' them to a big school. For example, if I wanted to play at Miami. To get to Miami I'd have to start at FIU/FAU or something and build them until Miami offered. If I wanted to go to Michigan, I'd start at EMU. Alabama? I'd start at UAB and so on and so forth.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

I was thinking of a system where we picked 12 starter teams maybe in sunbelt, mac and conf usa for example, and would be able to move on when we build to 4 star level...or maybe even move your team to one of the big conferences...idk really there are many possibilities...maybe even be assigned teams so you have to deal with the cards dealt to you

• Like Like x 1
  8. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

put names in a random cpu generator program...and let cpu pick teams lol...that would be crazy...

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

So have a youtube video of me or someone else pulling teams out of a hat?

10. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

you are the commish you could just say fuggit, take it or leave it, or give the lowest ranked teams to the guys who were "the best" this release

11. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I don't run this league like that -- as long as the sliders aren't easy as heck, I'll go with anything.

12. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

2 star or lower program

13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

If we go that route we won't have to wait for rosters then, right? A week to practice and then we're off?

14. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

yep lol...no need to worry about "real rosters" because we won't care. We can hit the ground running and be where CoC is right now

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

hells yeah...we should pick 3 or 4 conferences to be in so the schedule will be easier...the thing I am looking forward to is the new scouting feature in recruiting, I hope it is well done, it would be cool to find 2 or 3 star players who would excel in your scheme whereas they would be garbage in another especially when your program is low rated...(getting hopes up I know, but hey I can dream right?)

16. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

does search for new scouting feature

17. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Im down for what ever.
    We started last year with a defined purpose and kinda got away from it.

Keeping it real, regardless of the sliders, you have to have either 3 confs with 4 users each or 2 confs with 6 users to make it the most balanced, and making more than just one or two games a season that really matters. The best dynasties i have been in, it was one of these two setups. The goals are more competitive amongst the users and no one win or loss means as much.

Winning your division is like a playoff, winning the conf is a final four and winning a bowl tie in vs another users is the prize each year. add cross conf matchups where all b1G teams play an ACC user team and a SEC user team, then you have conf bragging rights to add to the fire.
    If you only have one or two users in a conf we get a lot of 12-1 teams with only one or two challenges(big games) a year. An OD conf winner should have to win at min 3 user conf games.

If we are gonna build, then we can do that too.

But lets really build. SMU trys to take all the credit for building but if you look at his roster he was rated the same as Notre Dame to start at B+(88-89 overalls). And the positions that mattered he had an over 90 underclassman HB and QB. And he was pipelined in one of the recruiting paradises, Texas.

To build i say 75 overalls and below in a non BCS conf with open coach carousel. If you get offered a better job at the end of your first contract you can move up. After first guy goes, the next three guys who get new jobs, their team gets moved to his conf.

The feeder teams is a good idea but we know the teams already. Guys will be Fresno ST and San Diego ST, Troy, UCF, FIU, Ohio, Temple, Northern Illinois, C Mich, Rice and UL Monroe and spread out from everyone else. I like the idea if there is some control to not let a user get in a conf by them selves in a recruiting paradise with no interference.

The final thing to throw out there is recruiting limit of 3 and 10 is too many. we can all throw fake facts around but the bottom line is i built a 99 ovr team while falling within those limits almost every season and i missed 2 position change off seasons and had good players cut for walkons. I vote for 2 fives and 6 fours and let the CPU have the rest. 8 elite players is enough. There is plenty of good 3 stars.

If all users get 2 five stars, then users are still getting most of the 5 star talent. Most teams only need a class of like 15 to replace players leaving. To replace everyone leaving with a 4 star or better is not a challenge, cause all 13 of those guys will get above 90 overall before they leave.
    Lets make stars stars and have some needs filled by role players like real life.
    And with the scouting thing coming, stars might not be as big a deal and we might actually find some 2/3 star gems anyway.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  18. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

Too be honest! I agree 100% with everything stated above by Smace. He makes great points. I would say "pick 70 and below teams" but I know someone will bitch....And, the star system shouldn't matter when Baylor was a two star...that was bs....I like the overall rating concept...

That is a league that I can dig right there...

19. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

yea, def don't worry about updated rosters... as i thought about this sometime in the last week or so, who cares once we get 3 years in

20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Some thoughts on recruiting:

One of the really good things that we did in Sim Nation (there were a few things that were done REALLY well there) was recruiting. We went into the thing with a 1-7-70 rule, that we amended into a 1-7-72 rule. To translate that allowed us 1 five star recruit, 7 four star recruits, and no more than 72 scholarships given at a particular time. This did three things really well:
    1. It allowed the CPU to build up and become REALLY good. We had some 99 rated teams and most of the big boys stayed big. The CPU still recruited 10 WR at some programs, but the overall talent level was decent. (Can we get some GameChanger to suggest a smarter CPU recruiting AI?)
    2. It made coaches really look at who they offered. A strikeout on a 4 star, or even a poor signing at 5 star can have a HUGE impact for several years. With the new scouting feature this would allow us to do more homework on our players and as smace says build to our team's scheme.
    3. It kept us from hoarding unneeded talent, the days of keeping 200 players on scholarship are long gone. Today the over signing practices are becoming frowned upon. With a 72 scholarship limit you are only allowed to cut 2 players a year which also makes you be choosy about who gets a scholarship offer.
    Just some thoughts...I love the idea of starting in the smaller conferences I would love to see us take teams based upon where we actually live, or (in the case of Jerz) where we lived so we have something to get into. We could custom conference ourselves into three conferences to raise the interaction and make this thing work.

21. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

@ Nick -- I always thought that myself. I never understood why anyone waits for real names on TSO since our goal is to complete as many seasons as possible. I think using smaller teams with no connections will make it easier to begin without real names.

@ Smace -- I agree with everything. Remember that their will be a "power" conference as the MWC and CUSA will merge so maybe that'll be an interesting start. And I think a scholarship limit will be enforced from the start next year until its proven that its realistic.

Personally, I'd like to see a 2 conference setup with 6 users in each -- 3 to a division. We could even do that with bigger conferences. It'll add a lot more user games, which in turn will make going undefeated or 12-1 hard as hell. Plus, everyone gets bored playing the AI this time of year and if their are more user games then we won't have any dull moments.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah, a tougher system for recruiting was thought about but with NCAA '12 being so frustrating I just let guys play. Hence, the reason I haven't mentioned sliders in 3 seasons or so.

Side note: Do you think trying a setup like this now will breathe even more life into this right now. We don't have to start small but start pushing guys into the same conference?

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think there is some merit to it, but I know some guys are going to be resistant to moving teams. You could count me amongst that group, I just got my first recruiting class in and I want an opportunity to build them a touch. But if it is for the best of the league I can move, and I would hope the rest of the group would feel the same way.

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Nah, don't worry about it -- just a passing thought. I'm excited about my class -- well, my QBs will be deadly for the rest of this release.

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

JerzeyReign I had two 4 star QBs ready to commit, then Buckeyeben jumped in on one and started to turn him. Like he needs another QB when he signed a 5 star QB in this class...butthole:D

• Like Like x 1