The Lantern -- 2012

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Lantern -- 2012

The Buckeyes bring a few key recruits for the 2012 Season. When asked Coach Masler had this to say:

Coach, with Bauserman gone, what's your QB situation??

"We are going to start the season off with the True Freshman QB Rhoden. The kid has unlimited potential and is such a great athlete. Being just a freshman, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go places."

How about that highly ranked WR?

"That kid is FAST. Nearly a blur and he is tall. Needs to tone up his catching just a bit, but we'll see how he handles Week 1."

Any more recruits you would like to focus on?

"Well, we had a couple good looking defensive guys sign. I hope they help create an even stronger back bone to this defense. We also got a good looking offensive lineman. He has excellent abilities in providing blocking for the run, I am interested to see how he handles as well. I think that's about it."

Thanks, Coach.

"No Prob. Go Bucks."

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Freshmen lead team​

True Freshmen QB Aaron Rhoden had a great college opener. He proved himself to be quite the QB. His ability to stay in the pocket, shake off defenders and scramble is amazing. Didn't even throw a pick. He has earned the #1 spot as of now.

Ohio State whooped Ohio. A slow start though as the Bobcats lead by 3 at one point, but Rhoden found a groove and struck. It was all over after that. The other freshman, the highly recruited WR did great as well but has some catching issues that need to be worked on. Other than that great opener for both.

Box Score

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    Ohio 10 7 7 0 24
    Bucks 7 21 21 0 49

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 14/23, 309 yds, 4 TD, 27 yds, 1 TD

J. Berry 17 Att, 94 yds, 2 TD

J. James 4 Rec, 133 yds, 2 TD

J. Jackson 4 Rec, 98 yds, 1 TD

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Buckeyes wipe out Tide

Alabama was dominating with their run game before halftime. The runningback had more than 100 yards in the first half alone. But the Buckeyes, once again lead by the true freshmen QB A. Rhoden, were better. They took a 8 point lead into the half and made it a 15 point lead to open the half. The Crimson Tide fought hard to come within 7. Down by 10, their QB gets hit as he throws and the Buckeyes grab it for a TD. So the #20 ranked Buckeyes knock Bama out of the top ten, possibly even out of the rankings. Ohio State starts off 2-0 and will host Coach CWHarris and the Texas Tech Raiders Week 3.

Coach Comments: "I'm very proud of my team at this moment, I couldn't have asked for any better. We blew out a Top Ten team in our house. We probably had a bit of crowd advantage on our side, but with a freshman calling the shots I think it was a great victory. It's not everyday you see a freshman take on and beat such a highly ranked team. Bama is a tough team, they deserve alot of respect, great program they have."

Box Score

Bama 7 13 8 7 35
    Bucks 7 21 14 10 52

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 13/25, 254 yds, 2 TD, 84 yds, 1 TD

J. Berry 22 Att, 115yds, 1 TD (Backup HB also had a TD after Berry was knocked out for the game.)

D. Carter 4 Rec, 55 yds, 1 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 85 yds, 1 TD

O. Johnson 11 Tack

J. Wills 9 Tack, 1 INT, 36 INT yds, 1 INT TD

M. Fellows 2 Tack, 1 FR, 57 FR yds, 1 FR TD

Defense overall had: 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT, 2 Defensive TD's.

Links to the Videos of the Defensive TDs:

Fumble Recovery for a TD (this one got an A++): http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/16611269

Pick 6: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/16611348

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bucks shut Red Raiders out.​

The Buckeyes played conservatively on offense all day, the offense produced 17 points. The other TD came from CB Howard who had a phenomenal day, with 6 Tackles and 3 INTs, one was a pick 6. True Freshman QB was somehow injured between last week and this week, he will be out for 3 weeks and JR Guiton took over his spot. Freshman WR James did not accumulate much as he was shut down by a tough secondary. Buckeyes increase to 3-0. They open up Big 10 play in Week 5 against Northwestern after a Bye Week in Week 4.

Coach Comments: "A good day for us. Although the Texas Tech secondary had our receivers covered well. It was the main reason we played so conservative, I didn't want to give up the ball so we kept the passes short to medium range, as you can see by the QB's stats. A nice week of rest is ahead of us."

GG Harris. Your defense made me nervous after you forced that fumble in the redzone.

Box Score

TTU 0 0 0 0 0
    Bucks 0 7 17 0 24

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 17-23, 186 yds, 1 TD

J. Berry 23 Att, 88 yds, 1 TD

T. Howard 6 Tack, 3 INT, 61 INT yds, 2 Defl, 1 INT TD

Overall Defense had: 4 INT's and 1 Sack.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bucks win Big 10 opener

The Northwestern Wildcats travel to Columbus to take on our very own Buckeyes. The season looks promising as they have started 3-0.

The Bucks get the ball first and Berry takes the opening kick back for a TD. Breaking a nice tackle along the way. 7-0. Northwestern comes out and their starting QB gets sacked and hurt for 9 weeks. Wildcats punt. OSU goes 3 and out which the Wildcats cap off with a rushing TD. 7-7. Berry returns another kick. 14-7. NU misses their FG wide right. OSU QB makes a mistake and throws a pick 6. 14-14. Buckeyes get their own INT, but not for 6. End of 1st.

Buckeyes WR a playing horribly as they cannot catch one ball. They get a FG. 17-14. NU throws it straight to the safety, INT. OSU still can't move the ball. Wildcats miss another FG. Before the half the Bucks get some luck and the Freshman WR catches a TD. 24-14.

Halftime

Wildcats get the ball first but don't do anything with it, punt. Freshman phenom strikes again. Pass was only supposed to get the first down but went for 6. 31-14. Defense turns it up a notch and forces the 3 and out. A wide open receiver fails to catch it and the Wildcats pick 6 off the tip. 31-21. The ground forces a fumble on the Qb and the coach challenges it yet the booth (which is ALWAYS against me when it matters) says the play stands. Bucks defense forces another 3 and out. Qb redeems himself by throwing a long TD. 38-21. OSU once again dominates on defense and forces another 3 and out. End of the third.

Berry finally gets a rushing TD after being shutdown nearly all day. 45-21. Wildcats try desperately to get a TD but are forced to turn it over after an incomplete pass on 4th down. OSU goes 3 and out but get the ball right back on a fumble recovery. Berry rushes in another. 52-21 Final.

Buckeyes are now 4-0(1-0). They have a Bye Week next week before heading to Camp Randall and facing the Badgers.

Coach Comments: "We started off shaky but finished quite strong thanks to the defense. Our QB isn't what I like to see in a starter. Docs tell me Rhoden should be healthy by the Wisconsin game, I'm lucky to have a Bye so he can have another week of rest. But yes Rhoden will return as starter."

Box Score

NU 14 0 7 0 21
    Bucks 14 10 14 14 52

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 11/30, 257 yds, 3 TD

J. Berry 27 Att, 131 yds, 2 TD, 3 Kick Returns, 207 KR yds, 2 KR TD, 349 All Purpose yds

J. Jackson 3 Rec, 86 yds, 1 TD

J. James 2 Rec, 103 yds, 2 TD

K. Wells 11 Tack, 6 TFL, 5 Sacks

Overall the defense had: 2 INT's, 8 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Berry & James carry Bucks to victory​

A game full of turnovers and crazy plays took place Saturday. Wisconsin's HB was seemingly unstoppable. Their defense was tough and stingy. With Rhoden still questionable the backup QB struggled on the first road game to an extremely rowdy Camp Randle. Berry was a huge key to today's win, he was running and catching the ball like a superstar, he also added another kick return. Freshman WR James was the deep threat today, only catching 3 passes and posting over 100 yards. Both players were the key to finding the redzone. Qb Guiton found himself surrounded by the defense numerous times and was forced to put his scrambling skills to use, once in the redzone for a TD.

Wisconsin lead pretty much from the start. Never allowed OSU to come within 3 until late in the 3rd quarter. The Buckeyes scored a TD to make it 30-35. They attempted to go for 2 but the receiver could not land a foot in bounds. Now down by 5 hope was fading until the invincible HB (note that Ohio State did cover the pass well, but the run game annihilated me) finally fumbled and the Bucks recover, putting them right back in the redzone. Two plays later the score is 36-35. Berry rushed in a successful 2 pt conversion to make it a 3pt game.

Wisconsin answers back easily with their HB again, but the Bucks drive down and respond with their own TD. Badgers get the ball but the defense finally steps up forces the stop and runs off the clock. They rally to win 45-42.

Coach Comments: "Wow that was a rough game. I honestly do not think we should have won, but thankfully we did. I got to thank Berry and James. Those two were the only players to bring their A game today."

The #6 Buckeyes improve their record to 5-0 (2-0). They host Iowa in Week 8.

Box Score

Bucks 3 21 0 21 45
    Wisc 14 14 7 7 42

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 19/32, 345 yds, 3 TD, 15 Att, 61 yds, 1 TD

J. Berry 23 Att, 93 yds, 1 TD, 5 Rec, 60 yds, 4 KR, 176 yds, 1 KR TD (Beast!!)

D. Carter 4 Rec, 50 yds, 1 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 165 yds, 1 TD (Deep Threat!!)

Defense had: 2 Sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT

Bucks out gained the Badgers on offense 505 yds to 406 yds.

I have to give props to the Wisconsin HB though. His stats were god like. Check them out:

E. Smith 21 Att, 210 yds, 4 TD

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Shootout in Columbus

Even though Iowa's record isn't the greatest, they played like champs. They intercepted Guiton (Rhoden was still questionable) 3 times, one for a TD. They had a good running game but struggled with their passing attack. Howard picked them off when it was most crucial.

Berry played like a pro today. Going all the way on a screen once, returning a kick and 3 rushing TDs. He played great and didn't let up. He carried the team to a 56-49 victory. Freshman WR James also had a good day.

Coach Comments: "Close game. Shootouts are always fun when you win. Go Bucks!!"

#3 Buckeyes improve to 6-0 (3-0) and travel to face Indiana Week 9. They have achieved bowl eligibility already.

Box Score

Iowa 7 21 14 7 49
    Bucks 7 21 14 14 56

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 14/23, 304 yds, 4 TD

J. Berry 19 Att, 89 yds, 3 TD, 3 Rec, 78 yds, 1 TD, 5 KR, 152 KR yds, 1 KR TD

J. James 2 Rec, 98 yds, 2 TD (Deep Threat)

J. Willis 12 Tack

Defense Overall Had: 1 INT, 2 Sacks

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Backup QB earns his stripes

The Buckeyes headed into Bloomington on a rainy Saturday afternoon to face the Indiana Hoosiers. Indiana showed a great rush defense, not allowing above 100 yards. But they lacked on pass defense, allowing several long TDs to be thrown. Their run game was also better than their pass game. But Ohio State was still dominant. Backup QB Guiton earned his stripes today breaking the most passing yards in one game by an OSU QB. DE K. Wells also dominated the defensive line once again, breaking the Sacks in One Season record with 17. Indiana kept it close at one point but the Buckeyes took over late in the 3rd quarter and never looked back.

Coach Comments: "I'm proud of our backup, with that quack doctor saying Rhoden is still questionable after how many weeks? 4? 5? Anyway the kid earned his position today. If Rhoden can't play like he did when he returns than you'll see Guiton with the starting job for the season. As for our run game today, I'd have to say I'm very disappointed with the O line and the lack of blocking and with our HB's and their lack of being able to accelerate throught the holes."

The #3 Buckeyes improve to 7-0 (4-0) and still currently lead the Big 10. Next week they travel to Happy Valley on a HUGE road game against rival Coach Hokie and his defending Champs, the Nittany Lions. This game is almost sure to determine the Champs of the Big 10 and if the Buckeyes are as tough as they say they are.

Box Score

Bucks 7 14 14 14 49
    IU 7 0 14 7 28

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 20/32, 483 yds, 4 TD

J. Stoneburner 6 Rec, 72 yds

J. Jackson 3 Rec, 130 yds, 2 TD

D. Carter 3 Rec, 135 yds, 1 TD

J. James 2 Rec, 71 yds, 1 TD

K. Wells 13 Tack, 7 TFL, 6 Sacks

J. Willis 12 Tack

J. Wood 11 Tack, 2 TFL

Overall Defense: 6 Sacks, 2 INT

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

#3 Ohio State upset in Happy Valley

The reigning National Champs topped the undefeated Buckeyes Saturday in the Mud Bowl. Rainy conditions proved to make the game very tough for both sides. The high powered and confident Buckeyes came into this one with memories of last years beating, eager for a win. They quickly went up 21-0 in the first half only to watch the lead slowly slip away as the Nittany Lions scored 14 unanswered to cut the lead to 7. Buckeyes responded quickly to stretch the lead to 2 scores again. All game Penn State had suffered from dropped/blocked passes, a heavy pass rush and virtually no running game. It came down to two crucial drives that cost the Bucks the game. Drive #1 was when the Buckeyes drove down the field with TD in mind, Coach Masler got them to the 15 yard line and was on 4th and 7. Fans were screaming for the FG, "Take the points!!". After a long thought Coach decided no, I do not want overtime, go for the TD. His hopes were high for Rhoden (who finally returned from an injury), even though he had been plagued by turnovers and incompletions, but still had a good day in yardage. He found an open man but underthrew it straight to the defense. All Coach Masler could do was watch and hope for the defense to stop them. They didn't. A quick, striking passing attack was launched and Penn State took the lead at 28-35 with 30 seconds left. Bucks left with 3 timeouts and less than 30 seconds they launched their own passing attack. With about 6 seconds left, Rhoden found an open man who got out of bounds. Inside the 20, with 2 seconds remaning and no timeouts. Here is Bucks Radio with the final call:

"This is for overtime folks. Rhoden comes out in the gun, 5 wide. He knows someone will be open, question is it enough? Here's the snap. Rhoden in the pocket, barely moving, going through his progressions. I've never seen a freshman quarterback with such calm in the pocket, with the game on the line. He appears to have found a man! Pass completed! OH! AND he's tackled at the 2 yard line, he even fell forward but it's not enough!! Penn State upsets the Buckeyes, all experts predicted OSU would breeze through this year. Ah Buckeye fans what a disappointment...always next year guys.."

Coach Comments: "It's aggravating to lose after taking a large lead. But I'm glad we could show Penn State we have skill. After last years game we needed to prove ourselves to them. I believe we did. Rhoden may not have played his greatest, but it was his first road game and at Happy Valley for that matter. Tough game to be thrown into. See you guys on the field next week."

GG Hokie, impressive comeback. You are right, crazy crazyyyy game.

Losing by 7 the Bucks should not fall down the ranks too much, may even stay in the Top Ten.

It appears Penn State will once again win the Big 10 unless they get 2 losses and OSU can remain unblemished in conference for the remainder of the year. National Championship is still in possible folks, don't look away yet

10. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartans head back to EL with tail between legs.

Ohio State absolutely dominated on offense today. Rhoden (still on the injured list) dominated with his passing attack while Berry ate up the yards with his running. Michigan State's HB Baker did break two long TD's and had over 200 yards rushing but even that was not enough as DE Wells breaks a record 7 Sacks in one game with OSU. He is 1 away from breaking the season record. Rhoden also broke the most TD's in one game with OSU with 6. One surprising note on this game, is that there were no turnovers.

The Bucks recover from their defeat last week in stunning fashion even managing to stay in the Top Ten. They are now 8-1(5-1) and host Purdue Week 12.

Coach Comments: "We lost last week. We had to show today that we are not losers. Some may see it as running up the score. I see it as showing who's boss."

Box Score

MSU 14 0 7 0 21
    Bucks 21 14 14 14 62

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 23/35, 375 yds, 6 TD

J. Berry 27 Att, 115 yds, 2 TD, 5 Rec, 63 yds, 1 TD

J. James 5 Rec, 87 yds, 2 TD

J. Jackson 4 Rec, 40 yds, 2 TD

D. Carter 3 Rec, 123 yds, 1 TD

K. Wells 11 Tack, 8 TFL, 7 Sacks

11. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bucks deny Purdue the upset.

A spunky Purdue team came to the Horseshoe today and nearly came away with victory. A combined passing and running game was virtually unstoppable until the 4th quarter when the Purdue QB threw 2 INT's. Ohio State's offense was also unstoppable as they had no trouble finding the endzone, just trouble keeping up with Purdue. The Boilermakers were up by 3 most of the game until Howard's pick lead to the Bucks offense scoring a TD.

Bucks are now 9-1(6-1). A tough road game next week as they head to the Big House for "The Game."

Coach Comments: "Nothing like a scare to wake you up. Looks like our defense has to run some drills this week to work on the coverage and tackling. I don't want to see that kind of play next week against our biggest rival."

Box Score

Pur 10 14 14 0 38
    Bucks 7 14 14 15 50

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 21/31, 347 yds, 4 TD, 11 Att, 74 yds, 1 TD

J. Berry 26 Att, 107 yds, 1 TD

J. James 7 Rec, 136 yds, 1 TD

D. Carter 3 Rec, 104 yds, 2 TD

Overall Defense had: 2 INT's and 3 Sacks.

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bucks win "The Game"

The Buckeyes traveled to Ann Arbor this week to face off against their most biter rival the Michigan Wolverines. The game almost started off with a kick return by Howard who had a huge day. Buckeys were up 28-7 to finish the half after Howard pick 6s the Wolverine offense. In the second half the Bucks elected to the run game to preserve their lead. Michigan would score twice and would have a third time but a bad pass lead to an INT that sealed Ohio State's victory. Final Score 35-21.

GG Big, you've got a good ground attack.

Coach Comments: "We beat our big rival and got 10 wins in the season, nothing to complain about."

Box Score

Bucks 7 21 7 0 35
    Mich 0 7 7 7 21

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 10/17, 115 yds, 1 TD

J. Berry 27 Att, 127 yds, 3 TD

T. Howard 6 Tack, 2 INT, 49 INT yds, 1 TD

Overall Defense had: 4 Sacks, 3 INT's 1 TD

U of M POTG: C. Turner 10 Car, 63 yds, 2 TD

13. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bucks Earn BCS Bowl Bid

The Buckeyes win their final game at home today against a strong UCLA team. The first half was nothing but traded TD's until Prince's fumble lead to scoring drive for the Buckeye's giving them a 2 score lead that they never let go of. UCLA's defense was tough but the receivers seemed faster. Rhoden was perfect in completions at one point. WR Carter stood out in this game, hauling in two long TD passes. Berry also made his bid for #1 on the Heisman list with an impressive day. UCLA's HB was seemingly unstoppable until the 2nd half. And yes the second half did get lopsided as the Bucks controlled it on both sides of the ball. If the defense did not buckle down, I do not think I would have won that game.

GG recchem. I'm sure we will meet each other again and you will probably whoop my ass lol.

The Bucks finish off 11-1(7-1). They get 2nd place in the Big Ten and may move up 1 or 2 in the rankings. They have earned a BCS Bowl Bid and are eager to see what the Bowl Selection Show has to say.

Coach Comments: "We had a great season. We have a shot at a BCS Bowl, couldn't be more proud of my phenomenal team. Gotta hand it to Rhoden, as a freshman he truely lead the team. I anticipate 3 more years."

Box Score

UCLA 14 7 0 0 21
    Bucks 14 21 0 10 45

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 16/21, 353 yds, 4 TD

J. Berry 27 Att, 157 yds, 2 TD

J. James 4 Rec, 72 yds

D. Carter 3 Rec, 149 yds, 2 TD

N. Sanders 1 Rec, 45 yds, 1 TD

Overall Defense: 1 FF/FR, 1 INT, 4 Sack

UCLA POTG: R. Marvray 4 Rec, 76 yds, 1 TD

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

Ohio State victors of Sugar Bowl after crazy shootout.​

Arkansas looked to be the victor of this one after going up 14-0 after the first quarter. By half time the score was 35-28 in favor of the Razorbacks who had a strong running game, a HB with 99 stiff arm made them nearly unstoppable. Both sides had lost major contributors on offenses, Arkansas lost their QB and Ohio State lost Berry for the game. Rhoden and the Buckeyes launched a passing attack to come within 3 late in the 4th. Soon after the OLB gets a pick and sets them up to go up by 4. Arkansas immediately answers with another rushing TD. With just under a minute left the Buckeyes find their game winning TD in the HB Hyde who was wide open over near the sideline, his speed was enough to scoot him past defenders into the endzone. Arkansas did not have enough time to answer. Final score 49-45, Bucks.

The Buckeyes cap off a successful season with a BCS Bowl win and are 12-1 to finish off.

Coach Comments: "I hated to see Berry tear his muscle like that. I was hoping his last game as Buckeye was going to be a phenomenal one but sadly he was knocked out in the 3rd quarter. I am glad the other younger players stepped up though and gave us the narrow win."

Box Score

Ark 14 21 3 7 45
    Bucks 0 28 0 21 49

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 20/38, 546 yds, 7 TD

D. Carter 5 Rec, 231 yds, 3 TD (This kid was always open, couldn't believe it.)

J. James 4 Rec, 120 yds, 2 TD (Finished off a great season, can't wait to see him on the field next season.)

M. Pugh 1 Rec, 53 yds, 1 TD (Game Ball went to this kid for catching a very difficult catch and scoring the game winner.)

Defense did not have a good day, only coming up with 1 INT.