The Lantern -- 2013

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

The Lantern -- 2013

Buckeyes Win and Lose Big

The Buckeyes were nearly upset today in Columbus as the Houston Cougars only trailed by 28-24 after halftime. But after that the Buckeyes offense and defense exploded, making huge plays left and right. They never looked back either. Rhoden got hurt for 2 weeks early in the game so Guiton stepped up and had quite a nice day. CB Brown tragically broke his collarbone and is out for the season. Thankfully both players have excellent backups.

The Bucks start off 1-0 and host the Miami Hurricanes and Coach Bravejaf next week.

Coach Comments: "It hurts to see Brown go down so early in the season. But the defense continued to play as well as ever so I can't complain about that. Good way to start the season."

Box Score

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    Team 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Final
    Hou 7 7 10 0 24
    Bucks 0 28 7 14 49

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 20/29, 356 yds, 3 TD, 6 Att, 33 yds 1 TD

C. Hyde 21 Att, 93 yds, 2 TD

D. Carter 7 Rec, 137 yds, 1 TD

J. Jackson 4 Rec, 86 yds, 1 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 71 yds, 1 TD

J. Holt 9 Tack, 1 FF

Defense overall had: 8 Sacks (3 diff players had 2 or more sacks), 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 TD

Video of the Fumble:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/18008607

The Houston dude got ROCKED...my 95 overall MLB dominated today.

2. Masler

Masler Moderator

Bucks squeak by​

Crazy ending to a crazy game. Bucks managed to come back from a 10 point deficit that Miami had forced them into in the 2nd half. The QB from Miami was a monster through the air getting well over 300 yards. Their HB was also quite adept at getting yards and TD's. The game was won in the last seconds when Guiton hit James for a long TD. Overall Miami's offense outshined the Bucks in every aspect but the Bucks beat them on D with a 2 to 0 Turnover difference. And brave I am sorry that I scrambled out too early, I swear the lineman was comin after me. The pressure of 50 yards to go, 10 seconds left, and the game on the line made me panic just a little. Hope there isn't any hard feelings, we do have that Tenn vs Bama game in The Rivalry still...

Bucks are now 2-0 and head to the Holy Land after a Bye to face off against last year's runner-up, Notre Dame.

Box Score

Mia 7 10 7 0 24
    Bucks 7 7 7 7 28

Notable Players:

K. Guiton 20/32, 229 yds, 2 TD

C. Hyde 15 Att, 79 yds, 2 TD

J. James 6 Rec, 100 yards, 1 TD

D. Carter 3 Rec, 41 yds

Defense had: 2 Sack and 2 INT

Miami POTG: A. Highsmith, 20-29, 303 yds, 1 TD

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm not thrilled how the game ended, but I'm not angry with you. It was just another game lost because of bad CPU AI. Oh and we don't play in Rivalry this season, I'm Ohio State.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Ohio State knocks out Fighting Irish

This game started off very very close, both teams trading touchdowns and both defenses nonexistant. But Ohio State got the defensive stop and that's all she wrote. Backup QB Guiton had a monster of a game, breaking an Ohio State record in the process. All 3 main receivers had over 100 yards and the HB did his job on the ground. Notre Dame didn't go down without a fight though as their HB was lightning quick and agile beyond belief. I'm not joking, this guy was their whole offense, he got 290 yds on 27 Attempts. ND had no passing game either, passing for less than 100 yards. But the Bucks high powered team was too much, winning 56-28.

Coach Comments: "First road game and a great one at that. I smell a great season ahead of us."

The Bucks are now 3-0 and rest on a Bye next week before opening up conference play at Northwestern in Week 6.

Box Score

Bucks 14 21 7 14 56
    ND 14 7 0 7 28

Notable Stats:

K. Guiton 25/34, 462 yds, 5 TD, 11 Att, 28 yds, 1 TD

C. Hyde 20 Att, 113 yds, 1 TD

D. Carter 7 Rec, 135 yds, 1 TD

J. James 6 Rec, 146 yds, 2 TD

J. Jackson 4 Rec, 110 yds, 1 TD

Defense had: 1 INT, 5 Sacks

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Conference opens up with a Big Bang ​

The Buckeyes headed into Evanston to play the Wildcats of Northwestern and absolutely dominated the whole day. The Wildcats received the ball first but gave it away almost immediately on an INT-TD. Ohio State would then proceed to score 4 TD's in the first quarter alone. In the second half they calmed down a bit but the defense continued to produce TD's off turnovers. The backups were put in midway through the 4th, the backup HB gained decent yards and the backup QB didn't throw any passes. It would have been a shut out but Northwestern caught the defense sleeping for a split second and scored a TD. The only defense from Northwestern today was a blocked extra point. On the final note, QB Rhoden returned from his short injury and showed even that would not stop him. He showed his athleticism once again as he was adept in passing and rushing, getting a TD off a 32 yd scramble away from a sack.

Coach Comments: "We played well today, the score shows it. I'm especially proud of the defensive, getting 3 TD's on all 3 turnovers is no easy accomplishment. I think everyone has thought the Buckeyes were the team who just couldn't reach glory. Well the team, myself included, think otherwise, this is our year. My boys are determined not to lose."

Box Score

Bucks 28 14 7 16 65
    NU 0 0 7 0 7

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 15/18, 316 yds, 4 TD, 6 Att, 49 yds, 1 TD

C. Hyde 12 Att, 68 yds, 1 TD, 1 Rec, 16 yds, 1 TD (Injured for game in second qtr.

J. Hall 13 Att, 47 yds

D. Carter 4 Rec, 56 yds, 1 TD

J. Jackson 3 Rec, 95 yds, 1 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 120 yds, 1 TD

K. Cleveland 12 Tack, 6 TFL, 4 Sack

Overall Defense had: 13 TFL, 6 Sack, 1 INT, 2 FF, 2 FR, 3 TD's

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

Buckeyes turn away fiesty Badgers

...And then there was Hyde. The HB who long awaited the starting position under Berry finally showed his talent today. He recorded 3 TD's on the day and several yards. The game started off scary as the Buckeyes scored within 30 seconds and then gave up a fumble recovery for a TD after the fair catch button failed to do its job. Up until the 4th quarter the Bucks held off the Badgers but the turnover bug had chose to bite them today (a rare event). QB Rhoden was near being pulled out after he threw 4 INT's, but with the immense pass rush they were putting up, it's no wonder he had 100+ rushing yards. 2 Fumbles were lost on the day as well. But the overall talent of the team kept Wisconsin at bay.

The Bucks are 5-0(2-0) conference and are building steam. They travel to Iowa next week to play the Hawkeyes.

Coach Comments: "After watching Coach Hokie rip this team apart I thought we would do the same but I guess they made some major adjustments defense wise. Good game to the Badgers."

Box Score

Wisc 7 14 7 14 42
    Bucks 7 28 14 7 56

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 19-31, 305 yds, 4 TD, 10 Att, 121 yds, 1 TD

C. Hyde 26 Att, 95 yds, 1 TD, 3 Rec, 50 yds, 1 TD, 5 KR, 171 yds, 1 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 105 yds, 2 TD

Defense had: 1 INT, 3 Sack, 2 FF (very odd day with turnovers.)

7. Masler

Masler Moderator

Buckeyes keep rollin'

Ohio State gets another W today, this time against the Hawkeyes. They put a good fight, forcing many turnovers, once again a rare thing for the Bucks. QB Rhodens accuracy was off today and he had to be pulled out at halftime, allowing Guiton to get some work done, but it turns out he was worse. Rhoden came back in and shined. Like most of the games the Bucks controlled the second half.

Bucks are now 6-0 (3-0). They host the Hoosiers next week. After Coach Hokies unexpected loss to Indiana, OSU reclaims the #2 spot in the polls and move into first in the Big 10.

Coach Comments: "We struggled with the passing game today and lost our halfback for 4 weeks. I'm glad we have a good backup HB. We are already preparing for the Penn St game, we want the Big 10 this year, we've come so close the last couple years only to be turned away, we my whole team has told me...not this year."

Box Score

Bucks 7 10 14 14 45
    Iowa 7 10 3 6 26

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 13/33, 232 yds, 2 TD (told you his accuracy sucked this game)

K. Guiton 5/8, 121 yds, 1 TD

J. James 5 Rec, 109 yds, 1 TD

D. Carter 4 Rec, 94 yds, 1 TD

Defense had: 16 TFL, 5 Sacks, 4 FF, 1 FR

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Buckeyes Bounce Back

After a tough week against the Nittany Lions the Buckeyes head to East Lansing and dominate the Spartans. No wonder MSU went undefeated for as long as they did, stingy defense. But it was still no match for the Buckeyes as they took out their anger from last week out on the Spartans (as much as it pained me). Midway through the 2nd quarter MSU HB Caper was hurt for 4 weeks on a sprained elbow (that also hurt me). Rhoden looked back to his normal self, as did the receivers. HB Hall filled in as Hyde was still injured, he got close to 100 yards and scored 1 TD. WR Jackson had a big day, scoring 2 receiving TD's and taking a kick back to open up the second half. That may have been the first points off special teams for the Bucks this season, it hasn't been too productive.

Buckeyes are still in the Top Ten and are 8-1 (5-1). They travel to Roseade next week to face the Boilermakers, they gave Penn State a bitter loss, so Ohio State better go prepared. Winning the Big Ten looks bleak at the moment unless Penn State loses again, which is doubtful (But they do have Indiana, which both myself and Suge struggled against). BUT National Title hopes are not lost yet! A victory in the upcoming weeks against Virginia Tech will probably sky rocket them into the Title Game, especially if they are still #1. Look out Hokies, here we come.

Coach Comment: "It's good seeing my team bounce back from an ugly loss. Some teams can't recover from that. That's probably why we aren't just "some team."

Box Score

Bucks 14 14 7 21 56
    MSU 0 14 7 7 28

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 19/33, 348 yds, 6 TD

J. Hall 18 Att, 92 yds, 1 TD

D. Carter 6 Rec, 123 yds, 1 TD

J. Jackson 4 Rec, 77 yds, 2 TD, 3 KR, 131 yds, 1 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 75 yds, 2 TD

Defense Had: 1 Sack, 2 FF, and 1 FR

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

Rhoden Shines​

The sophomore QB struck gold today as he completely dominated the Boilermakers' pass defense. He threw a career (and OSU) high TD passes with 8. While Purdue was able to keep up with the Bucks, it just wasn't enough. Near the end Rhoden slipped up and threw two consecutive picks, but what could have been a TD to force OT was picked off by CB Mason, he had two on the day. Purdue did have a strong rush defense on the day though, holding Hyde to 71 yards in his return from injury. As the run was looking bleak, it's obvious the Bucks took to the air. Purdue threw the ball 52 times compared to OSU's 38. You would think the score would have favored Purdue but sadly it doesn't.

Bucks regain their top five status and are now 9-1(6-1). The host the Wolverines of Michigan next week in THE GAME. It will be their last home game of the season.

Coach Comments: "Only a sophomore and throwing 8 TD's??? That's tough on any team. This kid is going to give us a least one more great year."

Box Score

Bucks 7 20 14 15 56
    Pur 7 14 7 21 49

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 21/38, 461 yds, 8 TD

D. Carter 6 Rec, 181 yds, 3 TD

J. Jackson 5 Rec, 68 yds, 3 TD

J. James 3 Rec, 109 yds, TD

Defense had: 1 Sack, 3 INT

10. Masler

Masler Moderator

Buckeyes victorious in THE GAME

[​IMG]

Ohio State 35

Michigan 28

Perhaps one of the best out of all The Games. The Michigan-Ohio State Rivalry is most likely the most fierce one out of all college football, maybe out of all sports. Michigan came into Columbus firing on all cylinders today, scoring on the first play. It wouldn't take long before Rhoden and the Receiver Core tested that A+ defense with an extremely dangerous secondary. It looked like the Bucks had the better defense for a while as they shut the Wolverines down in the 2nd quarter and led 21-7 at halftime. Coach Suge must have gave an inpirational speech as UM's defense came out fired up and began to show the Bucks they meant business. And before we knew it the score was tied and the teams began trading TD's. Late in the 4th quarter Bucks HB Hyde broke a 55 yd rushing TD to put OSU up 35-28. Michigan drove down to about the 20 yard line and were threatening to take this into OT. With about 25 seconds left, after two huge sacks for the Buckeyes defense, Michigan was looking at 4th and 22. This would be the play that decided the game as the young QB launched one towards the endzone, it would seem the receiver was open but at the last second a defender knocked it down and "The Shoe" exploded in cheers. This game never fails to disappoint. The Bucks only outgained the Wolverines by 2 yards, 396 to 394. But Michigan led in passing while OSU led in rushing. Surprising when Ohio State has the #1 passing offense in the nation. GG Suge, well played.

Hyde's Big Run:
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/18884108

The Buckeyes are now 10-1(7-1). They have one final matchup in Blacksburg next Saturday to play the unbeaten Va Tech Hokies. A good game that is shaping up to be.

Coach Comments: "This has to be my favorite game each year, so much strive to win. I was a little cautious of that defense but our QB got over that quickly. We decided to try out our run game, just to mix it up a bit on the opponent and it eventually paid off great. I was also surprised that there were only 2 turnovers the whole game."

Box Score

Mich 7 0 7 14 28
    Bucks 7 14 0 14 35

Notable Stats:

A. Rhoden 21/26, 268 yds, 4 TD

C. Hyde 21 Att, 141 yds, 1 TD

D. Carter 4 Rec, 60 yds, 2 TD

J. James 6 Rec, 58 yds

Defense had: 1 INT and 5 Sacks