The Links - Live

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Cimmy24, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

[​IMG]
    The Links

Hey guys, I was digging around trying to find a thread on this and was not quite sure if we had one on site or not, so if we do, or if this is not the best place for it, I understand its removal and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I wanted to get a thread up where we could discuss our golf outings of our actual lives (the ones some of us may have outside of TSO) and compare scorecards. Just want to see where some of you other guys have played, what you thought of the course, and how you faired.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Well, I figured I'd start.

I'm nowhere near a pro golfer. Mid-90s type. I golf 3-4 times a year anymore due to school and lack of time. However, the times I do golf, are in what could be called "The Golf Capital of America" --- Myrtle Beach, SC.

I don't know how many of you have been to MB, but it is an absolute golfer's paradise. There are about 100 courses within a 45 miles radius of Myrtle...so yes, it is a nightmare for wives of golfers.

I've been vacationing there with my family for all but about 5 years of my 22 years, golfing for probably the last 8. We try to get out at least twice a year, sometimes we go 3 times during the week, although we pay for it.

Here are some of the courses I have played there and a bit about my favorites.

The Long Bay Club - Longs, SC

LBC is a Jack Nicklaus designed course north of Myrtle. This is personally my favorite course that I have played. The image in the first post is #7 at LBC. What I love about this course is that the layout and play is top notch, Jack did well with this one. It is challenging, but fun. The rolling roughs along the side and extended bunkers make it interesting. Water really only comes into play on about 5 or 6 of the 18, but when they do, you think about it. It has an island green par 3 that is very deceiving. Here is a small image of the signature #10..

[​IMG]

Thistle - Sunset Beach, NC

[​IMG]

Thistle is a three 9-hole layout course just over the boarder into NC. I just played this for the first time last summer and it was a very challenging course to play. Unfortunately, the weather played an impact when we played as it was over 100 degrees and scorching, but it was still enjoyable. The course is one of the first in the area. What makes this course interesting, was that water or marsh is in play in just about every hole. It is a mental golfer's nightmare.

Man O' War, The Wizard, The Witch - Myrtle Beach, SC

[​IMG]
    Man O' War - #9

[​IMG]
    The Wizard - #18 Green & Clubhouse

[​IMG]
    The Witch - #7

One of the most unique course names, this is a 3-course group known as "Mystical Golf". The reason I included all of them in one is because they are all great courses. There is always a 3 round package with these 3 courses that is definitely one to consider if you vacation to this area. Dan Maples designed, each course has its own unique feature that really gives it character behind its name.

Man O' War - This course is built on top of a 100 acre lake. Yes, it is LOADED with water, including back-to-back island greens and a 9th hole with a "floating" fairway, which is seen in the above picture. It is a fairly open course, but you literally "Go To WAR" (their saying, not mine) with the course. Not only because of the water and layout, but as you can sort of see in the image, there are towering pine trees that are placed where you think they would not come into play, but they do. Very fun course.

The Wizard - What really makes this course is the clubhouse. The clubhouse is just amazing in itself. The course is fun and is one of very few courses in Myrtle Beach that really have elevation changes and is as close to actual "Links" course as you can for the area.

The Witch - Like its name, this course is nasty. Just look at the image above, that is what you see throughout The Witch. It is literally built in a swamp and ultimately, when we played, it was somewhat eerie. The course is fun to play, but very challenging because it does not give you much room to work with. When traveling from hole to hole, you will drive through the woods on raised wooden paths. Not only do you get the feeling you're in a swamp, but the starter himself will tell you...if you hit a ball in the woods, it is a unique club rule to take a free drop and leave the ball. Don't go looking for it, unless you want to be bit by a diamondback or gator. Yes, you will see them here, trust me.

World Tour - Myrtle Beach, SC

[​IMG]

It may look like Augusta's "Amen Corner", but it isn't...technically. World Tour is another three 9-hole course layout that mimics every hole after world renowned and famous holes across the globe. Augusta, Doral, St. Andrews, Pinehurst, Sawgrass #17 (My favorite hole in all of the PGA), Winged Foot, Oakmont, Bay Hill, and Royal Melbourne are some of the courses that inspire the layout of this amazing golf course. It is a pretty cool experience.

Lion's Paw - Ocean Isle Beach, NC

[​IMG]

Lion's Paw is another one of my favorite courses that is included in a group of 5 total 18-hole courses, in the Big Cats courses of the Ocean Ridge Plantation. It is another that annually has package deals, but we just have not done any outside of Lion's Paw. The other courses included are Panther's Run and Tiger's Eye which complete the original 3. They were then followed up by Leopard's Chase and Jaguar's Lair.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Those are some of the courses I played in Myrtle Beach that I would recommend to anyone first that I have played. If you're wondering about scores, I do not have exacts on me but each range from 90-110. What gets me while playing their during August is the heat, it really hits you. If you can't get a tee time in August before 9, good luck. It gets hot and humid early.

Here are some of the other courses I have played in the area, the majority of these are also great places to play. I will include a star (*) and cost ($) rating, each out of a possible 5. Cost is relative to what you're paying for.

Aberdeen Country Club - Longs, SC ::: Course *** ::: Cost $$$ <<Good Deal if you don't mind possible hitting someones home.>>
    Azalea Sands - North Myrtle Beach, SC ::: Course ::: ** Cost $ <<To be honest, I don't know if this is still open>>
    Barefoot - North Myrtle Beach, SC ::: Course * ::: Cost $ <<Like Azalea, I'd be surprised if it was still open.>>
    Carolina Shores - Calabash, NC ::: Course ::: *** Cost $$
    Crow Creek - Calabash, NC ::: Course **** ::: Cost $$$
    Farmstead - Myrtle Beach, SC ::: Course *** ::: Cost $$$
    Glen Dornoch - Little River, NC ::: Course ***** ::: Cost $$$$$
    Heather Glen - Little River, NC ::: Course **** ::: Cost $$$$
    The Legends - Myrtle Beach, SC ::: Course ***** ::: Cost $$$$
    Myrtle Beach National - Myrtle Beach, SC ::: Course **** Cost ::: $$$
    The Pearl - Sunset Beach, NC ::: Course *** ::: Cost $$
    Possum Trot - North Myrtle Beach, SC ::: Course * ::: Cost $

• Like Like x 4
  3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Like the shit out of that post.

I think what I may try and do is post my scorecards - not only for everyone to see but also so I can keep track of them a bit and track my own progress. Looking forward to hearing your guys stories.

I'll post what info I've probably already shared with everyone else in Chatbox or otherwise:

1) Took probably 2 to 3 weeks (maybe 2-3 times a week) of golf instruction as a kid. I could not have been more than 10 or so. I learned the fundamentals way back then and as a kid I was okay. I always hit the ball straight, I remember that much. When I got older I thought it would be easy when I decided to go to the range with some friends - boy was I wrong. I'd forgotten almost everything.

2) I bought some shoddy clubs off craigslist last spring and started practicing. I went to the range A LOT and kind of re-learned how to swing on my own. It wasn't consistent but at least I could play. I played my first 18 and shot a 144 - I've come a long way since. My best round last year was a 104 and my one goal was to get a birdie - I failed last year.

3) Flash forward to this year - I played fairly regularly last year and this year I hope to do the same. My first time out this year, again after much practice on the range, I got my first birdie ever. I had an opportunity on the front 9 on a par 4 from about 5 feet but I freaking missed it. When I got the opportunity again from about 9 feet on the back 9, I drained it. I played again last weekend and had 2 birdies - shot a 46 on the front 9 which again is a personal best but then faded after the turn and finished with 102 - still a personal best but could have shot FAR better.

Anyway, thats where I am. I'll post some of my scorecards and where I played and such when I get the chance. On the Myrtle topic - I've been trying to organize a trip there this Spring with some friends. It seems like a long shot at this point but I'll get down there sooner or later to shoot some rounds - for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I love golfing in Myrtle. I know guys who take Winter/Spring trips and golf all week. They do great packages and the prices during the downtime are very reasonable. During they summer they can be anywhere from $30 to $150 a round, depending on the course. There are a few courses I am dying to play, but can justify spending that much at the moment. TPC Myrtle Beach, Tidewater, and the Barefoot Resort Courses (certain courses there are more affordable) are some of the ones I'd like to play down there.

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I also figured I'd share the courses I play back home in Northeast PA that I'd say all of you are unfamiliar with and wouldn't view it as a travel destination in the future.

Cricket Hill - Hawley, PA

[​IMG]
    #5 Green from #6 Fairway

Cricket is a little course tucked into the woods about 10 minutes from my home. Fee's are $30 for 18, a cart, and lunch to give you an idea of the low cost. The course has gone through some management change recently and at one point was near shutting down. Since the new owner took over it picked back up and is a good place to go play. This is where I shot my lowest round ever of a 93 with 2 birdies and an eagle. Part of that is because a portion of the back 9 is crammed into a section of the woods and a couple of the Par 4's are reachable in one. The image above is looking at my favorite green on the course. The tee box is located to the right of where this picture was taken and to give you an idea of the drop, it is located relative to the top of the pine tree on the far right. I forget the yardage reads 155 from the back tee, but you swing like you're hitting 80.

Red Maples - South Canaan, PA

[​IMG]

I've only played here a few times as there are other, closer options to my home, but it is enjoyable. Very wide open 9-hole course. Doesn't offer much of a challenge and is relatively straight compared to others I've played (thank you Myrtle Beach). This is the perfect course to go to if you want to drink hard with buddies.

Honesdale Golf Club - Honesdale, PA

[​IMG]

Honesdale is a Private Course just outside the small town of Honesdale, where I am from. This is was my home course for when I played in High School, so I was able to play everyday at no charge. Essentially, this course is where I got better at the game. Pretty simple 9-hole course with a few challenging holes. #1, #2, and #9 run alongside each other, with #5 fairway and green next to #2 tee. #6 is a short par 3 where the green is directly behind where this picture was taken from. #7 and #8 are across the road on the far left. They tuck it into a small amount of space, but made it work very well. #4 is a short par 3 where I have one of the most memorable moments in my golfing career. Just to the right of the green is a boulder stuck in the ground. It is literally 1 foot of the green. During a match play competition, my tee shot drifted right, directly towards this rock. Sure enough, it bounced off the rock and shot left across the green towards the woods...luckily for me, it hit the pin and dropped 3 feet from the cup. What was really cool, is this happened just as my father was coming over the hill to watch.

Woodloch Springs - Hawley, PA

[​IMG]

Woodloch Springs is part of a massive resort in Northeast PA. It is a more costly place to play ($90 for 18 during the weekend) for the area, but is the best course near by. 18 holes, beautifully crafted in the PA countryside. I've only been able to play this course twice and that was because I used to work at the resort and was able to play for $1 a hole.

Tennanah Lakes - Roscoe, NY

[​IMG]

Played this course once a few years ago with the family. Very cool place to play golf. It is basically on top of a mountain and the holes have some of the most drastic up/down hill movement. I used the picture above because I wanted to give you an idea of the view. This course is about 30 minutes north of my home. The far hills and mountains in the background is Waymart, PA. That is another 40 minutes in the opposite direction from my home. So you're looking at over an hour away, which is pretty neat. This is also the first and only course in which we found a pipe in one of the golfcarts with plenty of bud residue. It is relatively close to the original site of Woodstock...go figure.

These are the main places I have played, but there are others that came from being a member of the high school team. There is also one course I wanted to share with you all that I used to play at all the time.

Island Glen - Bethel, NY

[​IMG]

This is where I first played golf as a kid with my late grandfather. It is a 20 minute ride from my house just over the NY border and about 10 minutes from where Woodstock took place. 9-hole course with a very cool layout. It included a dogleg left par 4 that you had to decide whether or not to hit over or around a giant barn to your left. #9 is a straight par 3 that, towards the end of the life of the course, was lined with none other than a llama and sheep pen. Yes, farm animals was the hazard left...and Yes, they were a target for some of my shots.

Unfortunately, this course came under new ownership and was taken under. It no longer exists as a golf course...

[​IMG]

The course was purchased by Korean's who turned it into a "Korean Art's Village"

[​IMG]

The first image is the old opening hole, now lined with Korean figurines and the one directly above is the old clubhouse and golf cart shed on the right. Pretty disappointed in the burying of this course as it was where I first played the game and played with my late grandfather.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

WTF!!?

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Yup, my father and I one day about 6 years ago decided we'd take my sisters boyfriend and my brother golfing there. Packed the car, headed up. In the entrance was a couple of totem poles which was odd, but we drove in anyway. Course was overgrown and there was Korean figures all over. We turned around and GTFO. A few months later my dad came home from work, and he drives by there everyday...sure enough, he said it is a Korean Art's Village. Damn shame.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Keller

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the scorecard from my best round to date. Now lets see if I can improve on it.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  9. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Too much beer on the back 9? Or not enough on the front?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Keller

As stated above, I've only been playing for a year. Just inconsistent right now.

If I could blame something I'd blame it on making the turn. They rushed us out from lunch and off the 10th tee, then we proceeded to get the cart stuck in the mud when we all shanked our tee shots. Needless to say I wasn't too happy about it. I played like pure shit from then on.

11. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Yeah, unfortunately being a head case can ruin a good round. Do you keep track of your putts, FIR and GIR as well? Might help show you what areas you need to work on more at the practice facility as you get more rounds in.

12. Keller

I'm not that advanced yet, lol. Good idea though.

For the most part, I know what I need to work on - everything, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Keller

Just show up with clubs - I'm sure they still have the holes. Go out there and hack away - just make sure you stop for a minute to take in the wonderful art along the way. They'll be none the wiser.

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Lol, like I said in the one post, we showed up one day to play, and it was all grown in. Can't play golf if you have to putt around crab grass on the green.

15. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

And Keller - That snowman on #11 must have one heck of a story behind it.

16. Keller

Unfortunately no. Hit my tee shot clean but a tad left. I was happy with it when I left the tee box actually - I knew it wasn't on the green but I thought eh I'll pitch on and scramble for a bog or something. Come to find out, over the back left of the green was a god damn cliff that dropped off into water. Guess I shoulda checked the hole layout a little better, lol.

So I took a penalty and dropped on this godforsaken cliff. Took me...... oh id say..... 3 strokes to get up the bastard - it was such an awkward angle and I was afraid of going up and over the other side across the green (was using my 60 wedge) that I just bombed. Just couldn't hit it cleanly at all.

My whole round pretty much fell apart after that.

:(

17. Keller

Upon futher review - I know for a fact I birdied 18 but for some reason I wrote down par. Not that it makes that much difference but glad I took another look at that scorecard.

18. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Keller's round llooks about like the 1 round I've played so far this year. Went out to the range for the first time right before we played and hit a small bucket of balls so I wouldn't make a complete fool of myself, and was hitting them decent, but I hadn't figured out my slice yet so I just played it all day. I had it figured out a bit at the end of last year, but I just don't play enough to straighten it all the way out. I came out and shot par through the first 4 holes, which is pretty incredible for me. Like Keller, I'm at best right around 100 on most days, so I was pretty impressed by 4 straight pars. I finished the front 9 with a 44, probably my best 9 hole score ever. The back 9 just went to hell. I was on for Eagle on 13, and 4 putted for bogey. Had a couple of other 7s and 8s. On 18 I just needed a 7 or better on a par 4 to break 100. Sure as shit I shank my way through the rough, and score a 9, pushing me to 102 for the round. Probably would've been my first round under 100 ever. Hoping I can get out here again soon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keller

Lol well if you're ever in Columbus and want to shoot in the 100's you let me know.

20. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I will for sure, I'll be down there for the spring game actually. Not sure how long I'm actually sticking around Columbus though.

21. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm coming back from EA the day of the spring game, I may stick around town and hit the Spring game.

22. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Let me know man. I've never been, I've heard its going to be packed this year though.

23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm hoping I can grab some tickets day of.

24. Keller

An update on my recent golfing escapades...

I suckass.

I played golf all last weekend - 3 days in a row. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday
    Friday I played a tough course and didn't drive the ball worth a diddly pooh on the front 9. When I finally figured out why I was hooking the ball, I started blasting drive. Problem being on 2 of those last 9 holes the ball took a bad bounce and put me in a tough spot. One went into the water on the left so instead of hitting a 7 or 8 iron to the green I was hitting out of some awful lie on the drop. I went over the back of the green and who knows what the hell I ended up with. Should have been a birdie op but instead it went to shit.

The very next hole I again ripped my drive on a par 5. I thought, oh hell yes, I'll be able to go at the green. Low an behold this hole is a bastard, and the ball really had to be played down the right side of the fairway to avoid this particularly nasty tree blocking a shot at the green in 2. I decide to hit a wedge to the very front right of the fairway and much to my surprise I execute it nicely. This leaves probably a 7 or 8 iron again, over a big gully with water at the bottom. Had to be like... 20 ft down. Instead of sticking the green I shank my shot horribly - not just a little either. I might as well have just threw it straight sideways. So now I have to take a drop at the bottom right of this shit hole. Long story short, I kept over hitting. Over the green one way into some terrible bushes and shit then over the green the otherway back down the big ass hill. I think I ended up taking an 11 or something when it was potentially an eagle op. Talk about deflating.

I'll post the scorecard along with the other scorecards when I get a chance. I think I ended shooting a 102 or .... maybe 111? I dunno. It was a bear of a course and per usual I hit some great shots but I also hit some poor shots. My putter hasn't been very good lately and Friday was just the beginning.

Saturday
    So Saturday my buddy wants to play at the last minute so we have a hard time finding a tee time. Mind you its Easter weekend so he has this brilliant idea to grab a tee time out in BFE - maybe 40 minutes outside of Columbus. So we go and find out they dont have a range - thats the first bad sign. I ALWAYS hit 20-30 balls prior to playing - just to get warmed up and make sure my driver is singing to me and what not. Those shots make all the difference for me. So anyway they don't have a range and come to find out they only have 9 holes - FUCK. Thats the last time I let someone else handle the golf arrangements - it was a nice course honestly, but playing 9 holes twice is pretty lame if you ask me.

So anyway its very cold, maybe in the low 40's when we tee off at 9am. The good news is this course has the biggest, wide open fairways I've ever seen. I thought - okay, no way I can have a bad day. Doesn't matter where I go, I'll have a shot no matter what. There were very few, if any fairway bunkers and hardly any trees or hazards to be heard of until you were going at the greens. UNFORTUNATELY, despite having just played and rocking my driver the last 5 or 6 holes the previous day, my driver was pure shit early in the day yet again. I think I hit maybe 2 fairways on the front 9. It didn't matter all that much, as I said, but still I was off my game. Despite being probably the easiest course I'd ever played, I was not even keeping up with my normal pace. Too many missed shots - short game was pretty bad and I wasn't leaving myself with any makeable putts. The putts I did hit I left myself in poor position for the next putt. Just bad.

We made the turn and my driver came back to me a bit but it was too late. The last hole leading up to the clubhouse I thought I'd finally redeemed myself. I had what i thought would be about a 6 iron to the green but turns out I should have hit probably an 8 with how well I hit it. It went soaring over the green at the clubhouse, it hit the path back there and probably hit 3 different things before finally coming to a rest. After dropping at the back of the green and putting out, I was happy to be done for the day, which is rare for me. I'm usually trying to convince people to play another 9 but I was just fed up with it. Pretty sure I still shot a 101 but like I said, easiest course I've ever played, by far. I was not happy about it. No birdies, couple pars, thats it.

Sunday
    Sunday was a beast of a day. In hindsight it was probably a terrible idea to play given the conditions, wind gusts were up to 30mph I'm pretty sure. The wind was constant all day, and brutal. I've never played in conditions like that. I played a course right by my place and little did I know the course is a freaking bear. I've only ever played the back 9, and apparently they just redid their sand bunkers so they had that nice soft - kind of like a beach type sand traps. I've never hit out of anything like that before.

Anyway, I took off the front 9, which I'd never played, by myself and shit was good. My first tee shot with my driver hooked on me again, but I figured it out immediately after that. I think I started out something like bogey, bogey, double, bogey - which is pretty dang good for me - especially considering the conditions. I was able to avoid the sand and playing by myself I was pretty happy. For some reason I'm able to focus a lot better when I'm playing by myself. I guess because there aren't a ton of people distracting me and what not. I had a few birdie ops and 3 putted or shanked my approach but hit a nice pitch and got out without too much damage. Again, considering the conditions, I was very happy with a 49 on the front.

Then came the back 9 and they stuck me with these old fuckers. God it was miserable. Given that I had been hooking the ball for 2 days now, I figured out what the hell was wrong and was just tattooing my drives right down the middle. Damn that feels good when you can drive the ball like that. Unfortunately it didn't matter - apparently I really suck when I'm playing with strangers. I was frazzled or something - nothing went right. I couldn't hit approach shots, certainly couldn't hit any pitches or chips and didn't make a single put outside of tap in range. Pretty sad. To top it all off, as I said the sandbunkers were re-done and omg I can't hit out of the soft sand like that. I had one hole were I ended up in the sand and had to hit kinda up a slope to get out. I wasted like 5 shots sitting there hacking away - I tried everything. I tried hitting the sand behind the ball I tried plucking the ball.... nothing. Just a disaster. Eventually I took a penalty and dropped outside of the sand - just brutal.

I think I ended up shooting 109 or something like that. The wind killed me - the sand killed me - the old farts I was playing along with killed me. I expect to break 100 this year with how well I'm hitting the ball at times - but this weekend was just not my time. With good conditions on the right course - its going to happen. But right now I'm just far too inconsistent. I've got a long way to go but I'm on the right track. Expect me to post a ton of scorecards here next week. I'm playing again this weekend, possibly twice depending on weather, and will have like 6 or 7 scorecards to post.

Heres the course we're going to try and play - http://www.stonelickhills.com/gallery.php - checkout the hole thats like 17 at Sawgrass - my favorite hole in all of golf.

25. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

We have a course here in Houston called "Tour 18", which has replica holes from all of the famous PGA courses. One of them happens to be this hole, and is one tricky bitch.

http://www.tour18golf.com/tour18golf/content/view_c.php?s_id=1681191