The Longest Yard 2012 mid-season review

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by Randiesel75, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

New York Jets 2012 mid-season review
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As we enter week-9 on the 2012 football season, the New York Jets are at the top of the AFC East tied with the Miami Dolphins. Despite all the injuries at the HB position, they are 8th in offensive rushing yards rank. One could only imagine where this number, or the Jets, for that matter, would be if HB Shonn Greene could have stayed healthy. After the fantastic preseason on those early carriers, the Jets had extremely high hopes.

As for Mark Sanchez, like the team, probably about right where we though, average at .500 on the season. There are flashes of brilliance, only to be starkly contrasted with moments of chants for Tebow time! At 23rd in rank for offensive pass yards, they Jets have really struggled in the air.

We look for the Jets to finish slightly above average on the season in a struggling division as they continue to work on their passing game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

3. TheRealHalupka

TheRealHalupka Walk On

Baltimore Ravens Mid-Season Review
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heading past the half-way mark of the year, the Baltimore Ravens have to be asking themselves how are they 2-5 and 4th in the AFC North. The quick answer would have to be turnovers, more accurately, the interceptions by QB Joe Flacco. The strong-armed QB has thrown for an impressive 1970 yards through only 7 games, but has also thrown 21 INTs to go with 12 TDs. Multiple times Flacco's interceptions have put the Raven defense with their backs against the wall. RB Ray Rice has tried to keep his team in games, running for 582 yards on 147 carries, but has only scored 4 total touchdowns and coughed the ball up 3 times as well. ​
    Another factor to the Ravens slow start has been its defense. Ray Lewis & Co. have given up 188 points in 7 games for a 26.8 average. Even with 21 sacks and 19 takeaways, the defense will have to limit the damage if the Ravens want their season to turn around.​
    Up next, the Ravens have the Browns in a divisional match-up that could either springboard the Ravens back into the divisional hunt, or put them in the basement of the AFC North for good.​

• Like Like x 2
  4. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Guys, I expect this thread to be filled with all current coaches mid-season review by our next advance. I hope that's not too much to ask.

5. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

[​IMG]
    The Colts are looking to come into their own with new Head Coach Brandon Sams, as they are 2-0 with Sams calling the shots. It looks like the previous owner traded Fleener for Lamar Miller, and that trade seems to have favored the Colts as Miller is averaging over 150 yards a game for Sams in his power run offense. Indianapolis sits at 3-5 as they try to turn this season into something respectable. There is always a chance of winning out, but that is highly unlikely. The goal now is for an 8-8 season at best. ​
    Offense: Luck is a monster but he shows his rookie gitters when the game is on the line. Wayne is as poised and collected as always and has been a huge target for Luck. Collie has stepped up big time and thankfully stayed healthy, but Jabar Gaffney is an excellent 3rd option should Collie show off that 69 injury rating. The entire staff offensive staff is very young and will only continue to grow together throughout these next seasons. Lamar Miller has been pounding the rock for Indy as they change the offense and hope to make people forget about that Manning guy. ​
    Defense: The transition to a 3-4 has been much smoother than originally expected. Mathis and Freeney get excellent pressure as OLB and the secondary is stepping up and causing turnovers. Coach Sams can not stress the importance of turnovers and how turnovers will be the key to any success this team has. The Colts have yet to play a user game, but the defense is looking a lot different than the so called defense of last year. ​
    Expectations: The Colts are looking to finish the 2nd half of the season strong and hoping for an 8-8 record by January. After starting 3-5, we want to end 5-3 and head into the offseason with a respectable, improved record. Indy is set at QB, HB, and TE for the next 10 years barring injury so heading into this offseason we will be targeting defensive players and line help with a few late round picks for depth. And i will end on this note, Luck will be ROTY. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

[​IMG]
    The Chargers began the season with a huge reality check getting blown out by the Raiders. Since then head coach Danny Ski has hit the practice field and focused on really grasping each formation and how the plays break down based on passing progression, running lane reads, and situational use. Since that loss the Chargers havent looked back and have won 6 straight games relying on ball control offense running the ball more than expected with Ryan Matthews and picking passing plays more intentionally to limit interceptions. Since the 6 interception opening day game aginst the raiders Rivers has only thrown a few picks which is one of the reasons the Chargers are undeafeated since that loss. Another reason is that the Chargers defense is superb and are the top team at stopping the run and have a nack for forcing turnovers and getting to the quarterback.

At 6-1 most teams would be feeling good about their chances to win the division but the AFC West is just too competative to take the foot off the gas. The Raiders have just as many wins as the Chargers right now but are behind because they have one additional loss. The Broncos and Chiefs are also really competative teams and can make a run at the division lead and take over by the seasons end if the Chargers falter at all. At this point the Chargers are most likely going to have to win at least 11 games in order to take the division which is much different than last years division leader who did it with only 8 wins!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]
    Entering the season, Carolina management felt really good about the 2012/13 season. With Sophomore Sensation Cam Newton at the helm, expectations for the Panthers were at an all time high. Unfortunately for 'Cats fans, things have not gone exactly as planned. The Panthers have limped to a 3-4 record, including a beatdown home loss to the Cowboys in what was possibly the worst lost in the Head Coach's career.​
    Offensively, the Panthers are performing as advertised. Besides the Cowboys blip, Newton has done a great job spreading the ball around with 11 different receivers making catches. The running game has been good, but not great, and the coaching staff will likely start giving Jonathan Stewart RB1 carries.​
    Defensively is where things have gotten dicey for the Panthers. In the games they won, they did a great job getting the offense off the field and turning over the QB. But in their losses, they've looked awful, giving up plays and giving the QB eternities to pluck out a target. Starting last week, rookie Josh Norman vaulted himself from #4 corner to #2, sliding Captain Munnerlyn to nickel. The 5'9" Captain looks much more comfortable inside where he can use his quickness and tackling ability to make plays. The Panthers will also give veteran OLB Thomas Davis more reps. Rookie Luke Kuechly has performed admirably, but Davis is a bit better at getting to the QB and playing in space.​
    Although a playoff berth looks slim given the performances of high flying conference foes New Orleans and Tampa Bay, Carolina will continue to sled through and finish the season strong. ​

• Like Like x 1
  8. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    1st in AFC North (7-1)
    The Pittsburgh Steelers endded the 2011 season on a bad note, with their wildcard round playoff loss to Tim Tebow and the Denver Broncos. They came out in 2012 with a vengeance, looking to regain their crown as the NFL's top team. ​
    The Steelers did just that, scoring 50+ pts in 3 of their first 5 games, enroute to a 5-0 start. Unfortunately, this red hot start would cause some red flags and questions to be raised around the league. How was Pittsburgh so dominant offensively? How were they managing to abide by the rules, and still put up NBA scoring numbers? These questions led to some NFL-sanctioned investigating which ultimately led to the Steelers' HC being released due to accusations of administering performance-enhancing drugs to his players.​
    This loss hit the Steelers organization hard and had many wondering if the Steelers season was finished. The team hit a low-point in Week 7 when the Steelers were forced to take the field, in a divisional game against the Bengals, coachless. ​
    For the first time all season, the Steelers looked vulnerable. Roethlisberger was sacked 8 times, and the run game was non-existent. The "Steel Curtain" allowed 179 yds rushing, losing in a blow out 38-16. This loss showed everyone how important a HC, a position that is often overlooked, was to a team. The players expressed their concern for their season publicly, in a post-game press conference. Troy Polamalu had this to say,​
    Polamalu's plead would be answered. The following week, Pittsburgh hired HC Anthony Brown to take over as head of operations. Brown comes in with a lot of experience, having coached in Madden leagues for over 5 yrs. Here is what Coach Brown said in his introductory press conference, ​
    [​IMG]
    Brown was true to his word, as Pittsburgh has only allowed 6 points in his first 2 games as coach. Order looks to have been restored in Pittsbuirgh, for now atleast, and the Steelers are back in command on the AFC North. The Ravens haven't been their usual selves this season, so Pittsburgh needs only to avoid an implosion to win this division. ​
    The team, as individuals, has been playing outstanding this year. Pittsburgh has 7 players that would head to Hawaii if the pro-bowl voting ended today. Roethlisberger is right at the top in the MVP race, while Polamalu is top-3 in Defensive Player of The Year voting. If all players can stay healthy, this team is the favorite to clinch home-field advantage and make a deep playoff run.​
    ------------------------------------------------​
    -----------------------------------​

• Like Like x 2
  9. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

[​IMG]

This 2012 edition of the Dallas Cowboys has developed a love/hate relationship with the fans in Dallas. On one hand, they love the 2nd ranked defense in the league. They are aggressive, hit hard and are very stingy, especially against the pass. DeMarcus Ware has terrorized QB's this year with 9 sacks already and the young players in the secondary are playing real well.

Sean Lee and Bruce Carter are both having spectacular seasons inside this custom 3-4 scheme that coach Ryne Setzer has brought in this season. The defense has been the backbone of this team so far this year.

On the the other hand, you have a 22nd ranked offense that has been as inconsistent as you can be. The offensive line seems to get the majority of the blame in the media, but you cannot overlook Romo's 10 interceptions, some in key redzone situations. The Cowboys must establish a more consistent running game and nobody knows if the tools are there to get that done this year.

At 4-4, Dallas still holds it's own destiny in it's hands here. A big divisional game against Philadelphia is up for week 10 and that game could go a long way to deciding things in the NFC East.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

[​IMG]

Offense -- Turnovers and what could have been. Aaron Rodgers uncharacteristically has thrown a large number of interceptions and it has cost the Packers at least 2 games they could have won. As of late, Rodgers has gotten them under control and the Pack has won three in a row. Look for the Pack go as their quarterback goes. Halfback James Starks has had a great first half, rushing for 627 yards and 10 touchdowns. Look for the Pack to continue to establish Starks to help Rodgers out.

Defense -- This unit was hurt early by an injury to Clay Matthews, but now that he is back things are humming. The pass rush has been fantastic and the run defense better than expected. Look for the Pack to continue to pressure the quarterback and try to force turnovers.

Outlook -- At 5-4, this team is still squarely in the playoff hunt. And with 5 games remaining against NFC North rivals, the Division title is definitely in play.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DU55

DU55 Walk On

[​IMG]
    CINCINNATI BENGALS MID-SEASON REVIEW
    [​IMG]
    5-3 record (3-1 division) 2nd in AFC North
    The Bengals enter mid-season with a record of 5-3, and hot and cold streaks. Beginning the season on a 3 game win streak including division rivals Baltimore and Cleveland, and then going on a 3 game loss streak including a loss to Cleveland to even their series at 1 apiece. Cincinnati is looking good in the division, having beat all division members once. The Bengals are back on the rise following that 3 game slump with a 2 game win streak that will hopefully continue to rise.
    Andy Dalton has recorded fair stats in the first half of the season, having a 55% pass completing percentage and throwing for 2054 yards, 19 TD, and 19 INTs. While Coach DU would like to see the interceptions a little lower, it isn't too bad a ratio considering what some of the QBs in the league boast at their stat line. The leading receivers on the team halfway through are 2nd year man Adriel Jeremiah Green with 33 rec, 747 yards, and 8 TDs. Behind AJ is Jermaine Gresham who has 34 rec for 662 yards and 8 TDs. The lack of a run game and a solid #1 HB has been this seasons big problem. All 3 HBs ( BJGE, Bernard Scott, and Cedric Peerman aka The Running Reverend ) have had the opportunity to start, with neither of the three doing anything that warrants keeping the starting job. The Bengals are currently ranked 28th in rushing yards in the NFL. Cinci will be looking for one of these 3 guys to step it up and take command, or be looking for someone else either in the draft, FA, or through trades in the offseason. Coach DU told Deion Sanders on a previous NFL Network broadcast;
    "We really want BJGE to be the guy here, but he has lacked that elite edge. We WILL play smashmouth run the ball down your throat football here in Cincinnati, and if The Lawfirm can't show us he's capable of that, we WILL find someone who is."
    So we will have to wait and see how this situation plays out in the future.
    Defensively the Bengals have played good football, with the squad being led by MLB Rey Maualuga. Maualuga, who has been a streaky player since joining the NFL has had a solid 8 games. He has recorded a team leading 43 tackles, 10 TFL, and 3 INTs so far. The Bengals will need him to continue to be the strong hand that guides this defense if they want to keep up with the high powered offenses in the AFC. Rookie 1st round draft pick Dre Kirkpatrick has shown that he has what it takes to play in the NFL thus far by recording 21 tackles, 4 deflections, and 2 interceptions. If he continues at this level of performance look for him to be a staple in the Bengals defensive backfield for years to come.
    The Bengals are in a good place right now sitting 2nd in the AFC North behind the Pittsburgh Squeelers and are right in the mix for the AFC Wildcard spot. All it will take for the Bengals to move into the division lead is for the Squeelers to slip just a tad. Hopefully the Bengals will be ready to seize that opportunity should it arise.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Cleveland Browns Mid-Season Report
    5-4 (Division Record 2-2)
    Offense
    My offense has allowed me to prove I am a patient man, because these &%# are frustrating. Trent Richardson has had a few big runs, but for the most part he can't find any running room. This is not all the offensive lines fault. It's more a product of having the worst passing offense in NFL history. QB Brandon Weeden has 6 TD's and 20 interceptions. Despite the appalling numbers, it's not all Weeden's fault. My team is averaging 5-6 drops a game. Weeden does airmail a lot of passes, but the rare occasions he does throw a great pass, his receivers let him down. I don't want to turn into Green Bay passing the ball, but I would like to be enough of a threat so my opponents can't constantly run an 8 man front.
    Defense
    My personal bias aside, I believe I have the best defense in the league. Considering all the turnovers my offense commits and the mistakes they make, the fact that I've won any games is amazing and a testament to my defense. DE Jeremy Beal was a big free agent pick up, and has become a force with 8 sacks and 17 tackles for loss. CB Joe Haden is becoming one of the best CB's in the game. He has 8 interceptions and returned 3 of them for TD's. It's really sad that my D plays so great, and receives very little help from my offense.
    Special Teams
    My special teams have also been a pleasant surprise. WR Travis Benjamin took over the return duties from Josh Cribbs, and has not disappointed. Benjamin won my game against the Giants with 2 return TD's and another one he took down to the one yard line. My kicking game has been solid as well. It will have to be my defense and special teams to win games, because my offense will certainly not. I'm in a weird position. I know my teams not good enough to win a title or even make the playoffs. However, my defense and special teams are winning enough games to hurt my draft position.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

It looks like there will be a good chunk of Needs Improvement (NI) report cards going out for the halfway mark in TLY.

14. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

Philadelphia Mid-Season Review

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Entering Week 10, the Philadelphia Eagles are tied with the NY Giants in the East. We started out 2-0 but had some devastating losses but we are now back on track as we have beat the 6-1 saints and Falcons back to back so far. Lesean McCoy and Rookie Bryce Brown are playing at their best right now and it is showing. Eagles are 1st in the league in rushing thanks to these 2.

Micheal Vick had a shaky start to the season but he is now showing some life only throwing 2 picks through 2 picks through 3 games after throwing a whole bunch in the beginning of the season.Our Schedule only gets harder as we face the cowboys and redskins twice and still have to play the Giants again who we barely beat the first time

I expect my Eagles to finish 11-5 at the end of the season

• Like Like x 1
  15. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

bump, updated the Cowboys

16. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

[​IMG]

Coach Thomas has this team contending for a title. The hometown fans are excited and the city is enjoying a good season in the Big Easy. One thing the Head Ball Coach would like to see different is his teams play at home. Both of their season losses have come at home and both looked identical in terms of effort.

Offensive Grade +A
    Brees has this team hitting on all cylinders. Besides the two home losses, the offensive line has done a great job of protecting our leader. The running game never seems to have a chance to get going. Sproles has been much more effective pass catching than running, which annoys the shit out of Coach Thomas. The Red Zone threat Colston has seen a lot of early work this season. Graham hasn't been as much of a factor due to heavy coverage. He sees a lot of double and user coverage. The offense hasn't turned the ball over a whole lot. The two losses at home amplify our TO numbers. As a unit we need to improve our toughness against other harnosed defenses.

Deffensive Grade -C
    The 'D' has had its momonets, but for the most part they have been giving up shitloads of yardage and sometimes can't stop a nose bleed. Cameron Jordan has a lot of sacks, but the D-line struggles to get off blocks and plug the running lanes. The CBs and LBs struggle with mismatches and tend to get burned in man coverage. The combo of Hawthorne & Lofton haven't impacted the run D as much as I thought they would. We also have a hard time grabbing onto interceptions. This years draft will likely focus on a lot of young defenders.

As a unit we just need to perfect our craft and improve week to week.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I'll have mine up tomorrow night (Friday). Been a busy work week.

18. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Seattle Seahawks 2012 Season Midseason Summary
    The Seahawks reach the mid point of the season at 4-4. On the offensive side of the ball the Seahawks have struggled running the ball. Marshawn Lynch simply has not performed the way he was suppose to this season. He is averaging only 65 yards per game. I believe he has only one game of over 100 yards rushing and that was against the New England Patriots. The aerial attack is so so. Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson have been average at best with 12 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. The most productive receiver has been tight end Kellen Winslow. He has caught 18 balls for 265 yards. The number of interceptions have to go down for this team to succeed.
    On the defensive side of the ball, the team has been very good at taking away the ball. The Hawks defense has forced 30 turnovers, 21 interceptions and 9 fumbles. MLB Bobby Wagner has caught 5 interceptions and has forced 5 fumbles. The only downfall with the Hawks' defense is the number of points that the team gives up. Currently the average points allowed is 24, and that is too high for this team to win.
    What we expect to see the remainder of the season if the Hawks are going to make the playoffs. First, the offense needs to improve. The running game needs to improve and the two headed monster of Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn cannot turn the ball over. The wide receivers need to make a bigger impact in games. On defense I would like to see the defense force more pressure on the quarterback. Teams will turn the ball over against this unit, and I expect that to continue. When these turnovers occur the offense must take advantage and score points.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Lot of teams still in the chase. This is going to be very interesting as we come down the stretch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Review

The Raiders finished the first half of the season with a 6-2 record. The two losses were very close in the end against the Steelers and division rival Broncos, but the Raiders have strung four consecutive wins to remain one game back of division leading Chargers whom the Raiders had beaten in the season opener. The Raiders still have three divisional games this season to play and look to separate them self from the rest of the pack and compete for the AFC west divisional crown.

Offense:

Coming into the season, the Raiders new they had a lot of talent on the offensive side. Returning was Carson Palmer to lead the offense and the return of one of the most explosive backs in the game Darren McFadden. Add both DHB and Denarius Moore on the outside and the acquisition of both Shockey and T.O this offseason, Palmer has a lot of weapons to utilize to propel the Raiders back into playoff contention.
    The Raider offense currently ranks 4th in points with 33 points per game and generating a pedestrian 350 yards per game which is good for 14th best in the league. The offense is not about yard generation, but clock killing and utilizing the running game with Darren McFadden who is in the top two in rushing at the mid half of the year with 1,094 yards rushing and averaging an impressive 5 yards a carry with 9 TDs. The Raiders offense are just 14th in the league, but 3rd in rushing behind McFadden.
    Not a lot has been asked from Palmer so far, who has been instructed to not turnover the ball and manage the offense efficiently and he has with a 92 passer rating. With 12 TDs to his 8 INts of which 5 came in one game, he has performed efficiently through the first 8 games of the season. New additions Shockey and T.O have contributed as well with Shockey having 21 catches and 4 TD receptions. T.O has been a nice surprise after a year off catching 7 balls with 2 TDs. The young receivers have been producing as well with DHB leading the team in receptions, yardage and TD catches.
    Things are looking good so far as the Raiders have not been hit with the injury bug as of yet, it is a long season and hope to keep everyone healthy to compete for the division.

Defense:

With the Raiders offense performing well and the team averaging 33 points a game, it is not all the offense, but the Defense giving the offense great field position through constant turnovers. The Raider defense has generated 28 Ints of which DVD has returned three of them for TDs, one from Curry, and another from McCann. Not only the Raiders causing turnovers, they are also returning them for TDs. Although the Raiders pass defense has been suspect and giving up yardage, the turnovers have covered up much of the deficiencies in the secondary and with the emergence of DVD at the corner position, the secondary may not be the weakest part of the defense. To have a great secondary is first to have a great pass rush, Seymour and company have been creating havoc racking up 17 QB sacks so far led by Seymour and Shaugnessy with four each. The linebacker play has been superb being one of the stingiest rush defenses in the league, after a rough start on defense in the opener, the defense has controlled the running game for the most part. Led by McClain who has been effective in the middle in rush defense, but also pass with already 5 INTs for the year. With the defense causing turnovers at this pace and the pressure they are getting, Raiders D will be tough to score on over the next 8 games.

Special Teams

Both Lechler and Seabass are old vets and Probowlers at their positions. Seabass hasn’t missed a FG and Lechler creates great field position on his power punts.
    Jacoby Ford, although not in the starting 3 on WR has been huge getting great returns on kickoffs and Punt returns which TD returns both ways. Ford will continue to be dangerous to kick to with his speed and evasive abilities.

• Like Like x 1
  21. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Vikings Mid-Season (+1) Review
    [​IMG]

The Purple People Eaters are back! The Vikings head into Week 10 looking for their 7th straight victory, and sit 7-2 on the season after a 1-2 start. Through nine games, they boast the #1 ranked defense and the #9 ranked offense. AP leads the NFC in rushing (1,021 yds; 10 TD's), which has allowed them to dominate time of possession in most games this season. 2nd-yr QB Christian Ponder has been a serviceable game manager, completing 64% of his passes but only boasts an 11-10 TD-INT ratio. The offense was hurt by the absence of Percy Harvin for all but 1 game this season. That said, rookie Jarius Wright has stepped up in his absence with 24 catches for 308 yds and is in the running for rookie of the year honors.

On defense, free agent pickup FS Nick Collins has been moved to SS and played exceptionally well - he leads the team in tackles (47) and has 2 picks on the year. The young secondary has surprised the league thus far. 2nd yr CB Chris Cook has become a shut-down corner, as well as a ball hawk (6 INT's on the year). Another solid FA pick-up in the offseason has shined as well - MLB Lofa Tatupu is second on the team in tackles (40), forced two fumbles and seems to be in on almost every play on D.

The Vikes face four straight divisional matchups over the next 4 weeks, and could very well clinch a playoff spot by Week 14. JSimms up for Coach of the Year honors??

• Like Like x 1
  22. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

[​IMG]

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mid Season Report

Tampa Bay would start out at 4-0 as they went into their Week 5 Bye. I don't know what happened during the Bye Week, but they came back a totally different team. They would go on to lose 4 straight, to get to the midway point at 4-4, and with a win earlier today, they moved to 5-4 after 9 games, and 2 games back of the Saints in the NFC South.

Everything seemed to be going great for Tampa in the first 4 weeks. They were tied with the Saints for the lead in the NFC South. The defense was ranked 2nd in the league. They lead the league in total sacks. They were averaging an outstanding 35 points a game. They have scored 30 points in 7 out of 9 games. Their rookie RB Doug Martin is on his way to well over 1,000 yds, and will go well into the double digits on TDs scored (currently at 8). They were a turnover creating machine.. 3 TOs against Carolina, 5 TOs vs the Giants, 1 TO vs Dallas, and 3 TOs Washington, for a total of 12 takeaways in the first 4 games.

Throw out all of those stats I just mentioned, because a wise man once said, "The only stat that matters, is what the big black board says, when the clock hits 0:00."

Turnovers have been a double-edged sword for Tampa Bay this season. As mentioned, during the 4 game winning streak, Tampa caused 12 takeaways, but turned the ball over 9 times themselves in those 4 games for a +3 advantage. In the 4 game losing streak, Tampa Bay caused only 4 takeaways, while turning the ball over a whopping 13 times, including a few Pick 6s on those. 16 Takeaways and 22 turnovers for a grand total of -6 in the turnover battle. The defense has slipped to 9th in the league.

Following the blowout loss to the Raiders, where Tampa turned it over 5 times, Coach Berding made it very clear.. this is unacceptable in the National Football League. Josh Freeman put the blame squarely on his shoulders saying on Wednesday, "I am the sole reason we're on a 4 game losing streak. I've thrown enough INTs in the first 8 games to last an entire season. Hell, some of the elite QB's can go 2 seasons and not throw as many as I have." Defensive veteran Aquib Talib deflected some of the criticisim by saying "We have to play better on defense. We're giving up too many points right now. Josh is a good quarterback, and we have to do a better job of helping him out."

Coach Berding seems to have the team refocused after the blowout loss to the Raiders. A tough, grueling week of practice, full of running and conditioning, Tampa Bay came out and defeated San Diego in Week 10, 30-24 and did not have a single turnover for the first time this season. They now have back to back division games vs Carolina and Atlanta in weeks 11 & 12, and with a couple of wins and what would be a 3 game winning streak, they could find themselves right back in the NFC playoff picture and NFC South race, heading into December.

Tampa Bay is a very young team who is going through the growing pains right now, but they are showing signs of potential greatness. With a little bit more experience and leadership, (and ball controll) Tampa Bay could become a serious contender in the near future.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Wow, those are nice shorts!

24. BirdDog1980

BirdDog1980 Walk On

Lol, agreed. If they got any shorter, they would have to put a censored signed on the girls.

I think I see camel toe...

25. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

[​IMG]
    Kansas City Midseason Review
    OFFENSE
    Since the coaching change its safe to say the two coaches are complete opposites of each other. The Chiefs were absolutely on fire on offense. It was later find out that the previous head coach was cheating by spying on opposing coaches practices and pre-game walkthroughs. The offense under coach JFace has been much more conservative and efficient. However, they are not scoring points to put the team in a position to win. JFace has not had a chance to coach a game with Jamaal Charles healthy so it will be interesting to see how the offense runs once they get their starting tailback back in the lineup which may not be until the end of season or post season due to a setback in Charles's recovery. ​
    DEFENSE
    The Chiefs have become ball hawks in the JFace era now in second in team INTs with Eric Berry and Brandon Flowers each recording 5. The Chiefs must find a way to reduce the amount of time the defense is on the field however as after these INTs the offense normally goes 3 and out putting the D right back out there. Tamba Hali is playing really well for the Chiefs as well getting lots of pressure on opposing QBs and stopping halfbacks in the backfield. Opposing coaches have complimented JFace on his schemes, but it isn't translating to wins. Something must be improved.​
    SPECIAL TEAMS
    After a Dexter McCluster injury the Chiefs special teams only seemed to improved seeing Cyrus Gray return kickoffs for TDs in back to back games. When he didn't take it to the house he was leaving his team in great field position it seemed like. McCluster has since returned from injury and was given his return spot back, but you have to wonder how long until Gray reclaims the spot.​
    OVERALL
    This team needs to do more on offense. Its really that simple. The defense is near championship-worthy but the offense is FAR from it. The days of Trent Dilfer just not turning the ball over and having a lights out defense behind him are over. Matt Cassel has to step up and get this team in the endzone on time consuming drives to keep that great defense fresh. ​

• Like Like x 1