"The Look" - SDSU's official student run varsity athletics update.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Big-Bear-W, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

"The Look" - SDSU's official student run varsity athletics update.

"Sitting Down with new Aztecs head coach Big Bear Wasyliw"

The Look's new correspondent Katie Ballgame had a chance to interview the new field general for Aztec Football.

KB - Thanks for giving me your first one on one interview coach.

BB - No problem Katie, my pleasure.

KB - So now three weeks on the job how do you feel things have gone?

BB - It's been a challenge. The program needed a change, it had only been a year since the departure of JCA, who really had the team humming, after he left the team was really struggling...

KB - They were 0-6.

BB - yeah, but also they really needed a jump. I don't think coach Chuck Fillin had a long time to turn this around. Football is a "win-now" game in alot of people's mind. So they pulled the trigger and brought me in mid-season. I feel bad for Chuck, but we can only look forward now.

KB - were you surprised to get the call?

BB - not as surprised as everyone else was at the announcement!

KB - because you never played football at the University level?

BB - yes that's true, growing up in Canada I switched from football to rugby in high school and played varsity at Simon Fraser University, where I later cut my teeth coaching pigskin.

KB - So you're an unkown, what are your plans for the team?

BB - well the changes have to start now. Obviously my first three weeks have not resulted in a win, but there has been improvement. The first game against TCU was ugly, we all know that. It was my fault, I tried too hard to fiddle with the existing playbook. I have since installed a simple oneback playbook and it has resulted in better performance against the Knights and the last game against Colorado State.

KB - That was a tough loss.

BB - Yes it was, to tell the truth we really got away with a closer game than it should have been.

KB - Aaron forced some throws.

BB - Yes, he did, but it isn't all on Corp, by any stretch. We need to tackle better. That is job one. On the other hand, that was a heck of a punting job we did out there.

KB - Any plans for roster changes?

BB - Well I'm not going to get into those discussions ahead of time. I want to speak to the players first. I think it is safe to say that we need to start looking to next year. We have the Cowboys coming up and then one more game against Eastern Michigan. I plan on ending the season on a high note. We are looking to the future, but the future starts now. Im excited to get Wagner back next year. As you know he missed almost the entire sophmore season with a torn rotator cuff. He's our best receiver.

KB - Speaking of the future, how is recruiting coming?

BB - Its going well I think. No commits yet. I have made some changes that have had a positive impact on both injuries and recruiting...

KB - how is that?

BB - I brought in a friend from my old program. She is our physical therapist, Ivana Rubyew. She is from the Ukraine and is excellent with the players. Her assistant Jenn Tilltouch is also great, they keep the players limber and in good shape.

KB - Thanks Bear, I'll end it there.

BB - You're welcome Katie

2. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Nice post man, that was a fun read. Good to see my former team is in good hands, keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll get it turned around next year.

3. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

SDSU signs 4 Star Prospect

The more things change, the more the stay the same...

The Aztecs have really stretched themselves in the recruiting department landing 4 star prospect, Pat Strickland. "We are excited about the signing... Stricks will be busy" says coach Bear with a grin.

The grin comes because Strickland is expected to start in the teams most important position of late... Punter.

All kidding aside, the strong Aztec punting game was an important factor in the "close" loss to Colorado State. The game would have been a blowout had the Aztecs not pinned the Rams deep on several occassions.

After a bye, the Aztecs have one last game to impress recruits when they play host to Eastern Michigan. SDSU is coming off of their first victory of the season, against Wyoming, and they hope to build some momentum entering the busy offseason when coach Bear will install a new offfensive and defensive scheme.

4. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Looking Ahead

The Aztecs can only go up from here. Looking to turn the team back around after the departure of JCA, coach Bear W has made some significant changes that he hopes can improve the Aztecs horrible record last year. SDSU will look to build off of a great victory over the WVU Mountaineers to close the season.

Gone is the distraction of the QB battle between Aaron Corp and Ryan Lindley, both players have moved on to graduate. Stepping in as the clear leader of the offense is Junior Jake Bernards. Bernards has a strong arm, but has a tendency to get rattled in the pocket, despite being a Junior. Fortunately "JB" has decent legs and can scramble away from pressure.

Gone is the wacky playbook traditionally in place at SDSU. Coach Bear has installed a 3-4 defence and scaled back to a traditional balanced offense. Anthony Henry can expect a heavy dose of the ball in the running game. Henry and the other backs will be happy to have standout receiver Casey Wagner return from a serious injury that kept him out most of last year. Wagner is a tall receiver at 6'2" but very lithe at 177. He has deft hands but tends to get beat up when crossing over the middle. Whispers have noted that he is not a good fit for coach Bear's offense.

On the defensive side of the ball there will be a good balance of grizzled veterans and fresh faces. True freshman Bryan Gray steps in at one of the MLB positions in the new 3-4 and defensive back Marcus Allen will fill the nickel spot in a defensive backfield that sorely needs a playmaker.

On Special Teams there wa sprobably more focus on the signing of a punter than at most programs. Coach Bear is not shy about the fact that his team may have to punt the ball alot. He views this a weapon not a shield. A well placed punt can win an important advantage of field position no matter how fast the game is flying. Four star prospect Paul Strickland, also a true freshman, will look to put regular nails in the coffin corner.

Overall the Tecs are still focused on trying to adapt to a ball control gameplan. Tackling was a major problem last year and Coach Bear will emphasize the sure tackle. Many are anxious to see Bear and his staff work his recruiting magic. In a few short weeks last season the Aztecs managed to zero in on some key prospects and this has lead to the ability of the team to field a handful of freshman this year.

Its only up from here, it can't get worse than last season...

5. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

[​IMG]

[size=+2]WHERE WILL THEY GO?[/SIZE]

Some big questions are on the table for coach Big Bear. Thankfully star QB Ryan Lindley will be back for one last hoorah. However, the receiving corps has been decemated by departing seniors.

A running game that could not get off the ground will be substantially bolstered by the addition of transfer Isi Sofele. Sofele has some great hands and the diminutive back will be used more as a passing weapon out of the backfield rather than a straight ahead runner. Unfortunately he needs to sit out a year. Ironically the Aztecs open the season against Cal.

[​IMG]

The offensive line remains a concern despite Big Bears promise to look for more 'Beef' when he took the job. Coach Bear and his staff have shown a nice penchant for recruiting, they will need to focus that attention on the o-line without question.

There are some nice recruits coming in. With a restricted amount of scholarships available [due to that incicdent with coach Big Bear and the three nursing co-eds] SDSU filled out its allotment early, but with some strong talent.

[​IMG]