The MLB is the NFL's little bitch

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Iron Mickey, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Lame Monday night game beats classic ALCS game in ratings

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 19, 2010 10:37 AM ET

LINK: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ight-game-beats-classic-alcs-game-in-ratings/
    It's almost like the NFL scheduled the Jaguars and Titans on Monday night just to rub it in Major League Baseball's face.

Despite a 30-3 final score and a matchup of teams in low-rated markets, Monday Night Football still got better ratings than Game Three of the American Championship League Series between the Yankees (top television market) and Rangers (fifth-rated market.)

The final ratings (7.2-6.5) was a lot closer than the football score. Both games were on cable, which kept the playing field even.

The football game had two backup quarterbacks in by halftime, while the baseball game was tight into the ninth inning and included an epic pitching performance by Cliff Lee.

There was a time in my life this would have surprised me. Of course, there was also a time in my life I would have watched the last few innings of baseball instead of staying with the football game to see how Trent Edwards, Damian Williams, and Tiquan Underwood looked.

I'm no longer surprised that so many of you feel the same way. The NFL is a behemoth, somehow rapidly picking up viewers when everything else on television is just trying to slow down erosion.

The owners and the players can't possibly screw this up, right?

2. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

i with you on this one G-Unit i use to watch the braves and cardinals like i do football but over the years i can't even turn the tv to try and watch a game because it quickly get boring. I will watch the Rams play the Browns before i watch a MLB Playoff game

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

TV ratings don't lie. I listened to Colin Cowherd Monday afternoon and he was talking about the same thing. Sunday Night football with Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb got like a 12 or 14 rating or some shit compared to a playoff baseball game which got like a 7. How sad is that?

NFL is king. Period.

4. Iron Mickey

Right on Keller

Baseball is literally America's Pastime.....

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Baseball is in need of some real change. They gotta do something about the inequities between markets by forcing the hands of owners like the Dolan's in Cleveland and Sternberg in Tampa who do nothing but cut payroll, don't try to compete and still profit and by installing a mutha fuggin salary cap!!!!!!! I mean really. Year in and year out there are only like 8 teams that have a realistic chance to possibly challenge for a Series title and it just sucks the life out of me as a baseball fan when I know that my team can't compete and doesn't want to compete. I used to watch have the extra innings package and watched the Indians almost every night but I haven't watched a whole inning of baseball in almost 3 years. I'd still watch San Diego St vs. Utah St before I watched a World Series game.

Then there's the whole steroids thing...

Which sport is run worse? MLB or NHL? I say MLB because they used to have a foothold in this country and lose a little more ground by the day, while Hockey has never really been huge like that in this country, but both sports are run poorly.

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Baseball is just boring to watch on TV. Not meant for the modern American TV viewer.

7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

They need to replace all the shitty ass baseball coverage with some god damned hockey!

8. Iron Mickey

Hockey is much better for sure. You couldnt pay me to go to a fucking Braves game here where I live. The traffic is dog shit.... you have to go thru the gauntlet of fail just to get inside the stadium.......the stadium is always at least 60% empty.....and Bobby Cox was a failure

9. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Is it just me or do I feel a change coming in this situation? I mean, who didn't know the NFL was king? It's been getting twice the ratings of baseball for YEARS now, and has been the most popular sport for the past 10-15 years at least. I think eventually the NFL is gonna screw itself over with implementing all these new contact rules and off-field behavior rules and trying to get more money out of the best product (while changing the product) and becoming too PC. Eventually people won't want to watch a watered down version of the football they knew and loved, and some sport will need to take its spot.

10. Iron Mickey

Not in our lifetime bud. I doubt it will ever happen. Football is just to exciting

11. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Maybe baseball can make somewhat of a comeback if they installed a salary cap. I used to be a Tribe fan...

12. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I wouldn't doubt that. But something has to be said for enjoying a sport more if you play it as a child (that's why I watch baseball, basketball, and hockey) and the way the NFL is going, parents aren't going to want their kids playing football with all these concussions and devastating injuries and kids dying on the field (like the high schooler a couple months ago) and will encourage them to play other sports. Granted, most of those kids will still watch football, but I'll bet the numbers go down eventually for the NFL.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'd argue that a LOT fewer than 8 NBA teams (salary cap) have a realistic shot at an NBA title, and no more than 8 NFL teams have a realistic shot either. Would I like to see a cap? Sure. But honestly, I don't think the numbers support the idea.