The Mountaineer Minute: A WVU Football Channel

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Wyrmreaver, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

[​IMG]

2. Wyrmreaver

6/26/2013

In a surprise move, WVU football has made a change at Head Coach. After a disappointing year, Dana Holgorsen has been let go. Many experts didn't think the Mountaineers would be able to attract a high profile coach but they were ultimately able to get one of the biggest names available. Coach Wyrmreaver has signed on for the 2014 season. The move is a bit of a surprise, Oklahoma and Texas Tech were both vying for him as well and most people didn't give the Mountaineers much of a shot at signing him. Coach Wyrmreaver brings a tradition of winning to Morgantown. While the coach at Missouri, Wyrmreaver coached 3 national championship teams in 13 seasons with a lifetime winning percentage around 90. The WVU faithful are hoping that he can bring the same magic to the Big 12 for a team that has been on the cusp for a while and now needs to take the next step after a move from the Big East to the Big 12.

3. Wyrmreaver

Coaches Corner

Schematic Breakdown:

Offense: WVU will be implementing some sort of hybrid option attack similar to the Air Force Academy. Details are few but opponents can expect to see some FleXbox One, Pistol, and Shotgun sets with a variety of option plays. Sources are saying that none of the sets will have more than 3 wide receivers on the field at any one time. A few positional keys to this offense are as follows: the quarterback will be expected to run, halfbacks and wide receivers will be expected to be versatile, and fullbacks will need to carry the ball.

Defense: Coach Wyrmreaver is well known for his attacking 3-3-5 defense. The team will tend to run man coverage more than zone and there will be an element of risk/reward playcalling. The team could struggle against power rushing attacks, but the added speed should pay dividends against the spread and option attacks they will likely see. A premium will be placed on safeties and fast outside linebackers to go along with power players at the nose and MLB spots.

Positional Analysis:

Quarterbacks: The starter is freshman #7 (84 OVR). He has a solid arm and enough speed to keep a defense honest, though he's not a real running threat in the teams option attack. One of the most intriguing QBs is #5 (74 OVR). Another freshman, this kid has elite athleticism and is a real dual threat, though his passing skill is marginal at this point.
    Halfbacks: #13 (84 OVR) has plenty of speed and should be very effective in the teams attack. As a whole, the HB corps lack top end speed, so coach Wyrm will have to hit the recruiting trail hard to get this group where it needs to be.
    Fullbacks: Just one on the roster, he is a senior, and not very good. This is a spot that will need immediate attention with either athletic fullbacks or power halfbacks in recruiting.
    Wide Receivers: Ten players, and none of them seniors. With the schematic change this is a position of luxury. Some of these guys might get a look at halfback, but its not likely to work out.
    O-Line: Anchored by a pair of 87 OVR players, this is a young core that we can build around.
    Defensive Ends: A pair of strong sophomores (80 and 79 OVR) mean that this position is pretty well set for a few seasons. While these guys aren't great pass rushers, they are balanced enough not to be a liability.
    Defensive Tackles: An 80 OVR senior anchors the middle. This is a position that needs an upgrade in recruiting but the guys on the roster now should provide at least some support up front in the interim.
    Outside Linebackers: Like most of the team, this is a unit of average players. On the upside, there is some speed in the unit and plenty of depth and youth to stay optimistic for future seasons.
    Middle Linebackers: Starter #47 (82 OVR) is the best linebacker on the team and a senior. The rest of the MLBs, like the OLBs are young so the LB corps looks to be in good shape overall.
    Cornerbacks: The best positional group on the team. Senior #23 is an 86 OVR with 90 man coverage while fellow starter #16 also has 90 man coverage. With this being the most talented group, the hope is that we can leave them on islands and take risks with the more average players in the front 6 and at safety.
    Safeties: Sophomore #8 (83 OVR) will patrol the deep middle while a pair of seniors will play the hybrid SS spots. The lack of depth and youth at SS makes this the #1 recruiting priority, especially given their importance in the 3-3-5 scheme.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  4. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Fixed that for ya.:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wyrmreaver

Okay fine......

Offense:[​IMG]

Defense: [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dru50

Embrace the Velveeta Neal....I will, once I remember how to play the game again.

7. Wyrmreaver

BTW, thanks for derailing and ruining my team thread.....

GTFO.gif

:D

8. Dru50

I thought you were "Big Chief Staff-Boy" now.....just delete the offending posts. You won't hurt my feelings. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wyrmreaver

I was teasing, its more fun when people participate

10. Dru50

I know - as you can tell, I'm bored waiting for the game to drop. Nice write up though, and I like the pro combat pic. That's pretty cool.

11. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Who's the freshman QB? I would have thought either Millard or Trickett (if he can play this year) would have been the starter.

12. Wyrmreaver

Starter is Ford Childress, a RS FR who was a 3* recruit. The fast one is Chavas Rawlins who would have been a true freshman, except that he left school not long after enrolling for spring. Depending on the rosters we end up with, Rawlins may or may not be there.

13. Dru50

Chavas is a relative of JrRawlins, his nephew I think.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wyrmreaver

Really? Cool..... Yeah, I was looking up some stuff and it said he chose WVU based a lot on the QB coach and then that guy went to TAMU, Rawlins attended spring ball but it wasnt working out the way both sides had hoped.

15. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Where is Rawlins now?

Edit: nevermind. Found it out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  16. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

he is my little cousin.... his girl had a baby boy CJ almost a month ago... that was part of the reason he went home.. the other part is his main recruiter Jake Spitval left to be the O coordinator at Texas A&M..... so with that and the addition of clint trickett and his son coming soon, he figured the writing was on the wall... he is trying to get alittle closer to home by trying to get a scholly to Pitt.... but that might not work out...