The "New" Next Year Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Guys,

With all the recent movement, and the changes coming, I thought I should post another thread to discuss next year.

Let's try to stay away from team discussions until we see what EA has for us this year. The changes they make could change what we want.

But let's talk about things like pace and content, gameplay and format - that kind of stuff.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Pace: I like our current set-up, and being someone who will be EXTREMELY busy in the late summer through mid-fall I need us to keep a similar pace for me to participate properly. I don't know about you guys but 24 hour advances are simply too much for me.

Content: I think this will be dependent upon what EA does with the Dynasty Wire. If they improve it we may not have to do the stuff we currently do, like game recaps, recruits etc. Instead I see us doing more "press conferences", player nominations, and other things like that. One area of content that has been discussed and I feel would be a great addition is the end of year awards voting. I think creating a set of awards and the criteria for them would be cool and rewarding.

Gameplay: Sim baby! Hopefully the spread offense is fixed so that you can actually run a read option without destroying the balance of the game with sliders.

Format: I like our power conference set-up but wouldn't mind us playing in 4 conferences with 3 teams in each. To do this we would have some cases where you have an unbalanced user-user schedule in conference, but you could make up for that by cutting back on your OOC games. AND with the Big Ten and PAC 10 adding conference championships it would potentially add a rematch into the mix which is always fun and keeps a team that loses a conference game early into the league.

That's my initial two cents hopefully this gets the poo flowing.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think we could go four conferences now that title games are more common. That extra game at the end makes it easier.

I desperately want the spread run game to work. I also want the Pistol run game to work better. I'd run a pistol offense if the downhill read option worked reasonably well.

I really want to focus on balance from the start this time around. What I mean is - by the time we got around to placing real restrictions on recruiting, most of us had put up huge recruiting numbers that were going to make it tough for the CPU to compete, and we did it for years. We are now dealing with a diluted bunch of CPU teams as a result. Now, some of this is due to bad CPU recruiting logic, but we had something to do with it. Next year, I want to always be thinking three seasons ahead, if you know what I mean.

I want to run simulated seasons before we launch - while we're waiting for rosters. I want to know what the glitches are before we start, so we don't have some kind of tragic error, and so we know what to expect from the CPU, especially in recruiting.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think it would do us good to be "super" strict on the recruiting from the get go and ease up later if we need to do so. It would allow us to have tough CPU games in years 3 and 4.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Can I chime in?

1. 24 hour advances are tough...even The Deuce doesn't to it everyday...and I've played 151 games in that dynasty in '11.
    2. Content...obviously the more fun the league the more fun the content. It has been my Experience that the Dynasty Wire kills dynasties, because people don't read that stuff up there.

6. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

All good stuff thus far. Good to get the ideas flowin' now.

Arch', I'm with you recruiting, and I agree with all of what Easy posted. I'd rather start off difficult and ease up if needed. Watered-down CPU teams take a lot of fun from the game.

Shaun, I played a crap-load of seasons in the Crop, and I feel the same way. Eventually, no matter how much you love playing this game, the pace catches up with you. There are a few players I know who are built like machines, but they're rare.

Also, in my experience, the 24-hour advance leads to a lot of players having their games played by others when schedules get tight, and off-seasons are often less than full. When championships were won, there was little time to congratulate the winner or reflect on the season, because we were right into off-seaon (often that same night). I think it's important not to let the pace affect the quality of the experience.

What we have now is pretty cool, for it allows for quicker advances if the league as a whole is movin' strong. I'd also be cool with a hard 48, but as I stated, keeping things as is sounds good, too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I agree with "start out difficult"- routine wins take a lot of fun out... And just passing the BCS championship between users is not very interesting either- It would be fun if we all had to battle just to get bowl bid early on- or at lease having very few games that feel "un-losable".

• Like Like x 1
  8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I completely agree. In '11, though, it seemed like the only way to get this kind of difficulty was to make the game unrealistic. Then guys just shortened up on the play calls and did the "rinse and repeat" thing. I think it would be cool if the CPU adjusted in game to play calls. I think it would be cool if the CPU picked up on repetition and punished us for it. If there was a slider built on that, we could really have some fun with it. It would have to be easy to create, and it's a better option than floating DBs, if you know what I mean.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I remember WAAAY back when I got the dreamcast and bought the NFL2K game with Moss on the cover that they said the AI would pick up our patterns and adjust. I am still waiting on that and I wish it would pick up on us and create scouting reports on our tendencies and such. Make it a feature, showing where we are running and our top 10 plays.

10. bdub

bdub Walk On

NFL2K Was one of the greatest football games ever made. Scouting reports would be very cool.

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Exactly...if you force the pace stuff like that happens. We take as long as is necessary for the most part, but we still move fast because we all want to. Our offseason's are full (and a riot). I think CoC pushes more than we do.

12. justadude

justadude Walk On

I my old Madden 08 league we did scouting reports. I can only recommend doing it. It is an easy way to add a lot of depth by allowing you to gameplan for your user opponent. I also enjoyed adding wrinkles to my own play-call sheet for certain opponents.

Most of us did 4 or 5 bullet points for offense, defense and special teams, as needed. Sometimes adding observations. It was quick and informative if you read a few of them. So it was not a lot of work, but gave quite a bang in return.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

I keep notes on the guys in my confrence so I will be better prepared for them next year.

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I figure now is as good a time as ever to fire some life back into this thread.

I have read over a few of the above posts, mainly the shorter ones cuz I am being lazy today after working til 2 am....

I have noticed 24 hour advances really don't help the league as far as on site "fun". I don't know what you guys do for a living or what you do while you're not on TSO (except Archie who is trading for Buckeye memorabilia), but 24 hour advances + GOOD content is extremely tough to do. I think content makes the league and knowing you have more than a set short period of time to add content makes it easier and guys more open to the idea of doing something.

With that, I also think it is tough to commit to a content assignment right away. There are the obvious additions to the forums...power rankings, game of the week, players of the week, etc....but over at Saturday Heroes we tried to throw in new twists. Sdid was really good at posting recruit information and made it very interesting to read...some guys (including me) posted video recaps and video blogs. In the past I have done a "radio" show. I also think the league format and setup reflects different types of content. So....from me...look for me to do be doing something such as a conference, league, or general blog (new features could warrant a specific type ;) ) or a video blog (time pending).

Most importantly, I don't want to be taking away from what this league really is. The "quirks" that set Sim-Nation apart from other leagues, so I am extremely interested in learning more about the customs of this league. I read up on the 1-7-70 recruiting rule with the "bonus" recruits and that was a pretty interesting idea. Very cool.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

That's some good stuff. I think we'll be pretty content heavy early on, and then we'll shed some stuff as we go. The right balance between enteratinment and workload is important. We want guys involved, but we don't want to become a job - and we rarely see 12 guys who all think the same about which is which. It ends up being something the guys who have time end up carrying - and I'm not against that. With us, for example, we have a guy who travels alot, and another who just took a full time coaching gig, and it's beginning to look like I'm going to end up on someone's campaign staff in the next election cycle, and I'm sure others are crazy busy as well. The key to balancing all of this is to create something that is easily maintained, and gets a lot out of a little bit of time. I have always tried to drive content by creating threads and discussions everyone will want to take part in.

As for the "standard content" meaning whatever our regular stuff will be, I'm completely open, and will help create anything you guys feel strongly about. I'll even maintain a few things myself. Now would be a good time to discuss this kind of stuff so we can get a sense of the line between fun and work for everyone - and then build around that.

I like all of those ideas. I could see any of them being a part of things. Let's see what the fellas say.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

What do you guys think - is it time to talk about team/conference choices?

17. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I personally love the scouting report thing too. In an old Madden league I was in, it was required of everyone after every game.

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

You know how I roll...
    [​IMG]

19. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

As for the pace, I very much prefer a 48-72 hour advance. Everyday was too much for me w/work and the family in Cream of the Crop.

Another suggestion, from CoC, I loved the "post game press conferences" that we'd post... Not sure how G did it completely, as I had to leave him messages on Skype, but it was a ton of fun.

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Have fun with it, but I think next week the NCAA announcements are scheduled.:)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I like that idea. This year, whatever we do, I want to find something consistent ... something that everyone understands, and something that changes, but not so much that guys start to lose track of what's expected of them. I think there's a lot or rah-rah stuff at the beginning of every year, and morale can drop if it doesn't sustain itself for long, or changes all the time. We're all veterans by now - I'd like to start thinking about Jan/Feb right from the start, so we don't end up suffering the hangover that so many leagues go through. If we don't over-extend, I think we'll avoid the job-like feelings that send a lot of guys out the door. Simple, high value/low maintenance kinds of content - that's what works best. Get the most good stuff from the least amount of effort. Whatever we decide, I'd like that to be the goal as far as implementation goes. Some of our guys are active, but hella-busy. Best to behave as if we all are, 'cuz it's probably true.

But that's really more of a philosophical statement, and it could exist in many forms. I'm sure we'll put in the right stuff, and we have time to figure out what that is.

Also, all 1-7-70 recruiting stuff should be considered on hold for 2012. We have no idea what recruiting will look like. Just know that we're going to be tough, as in real tough, when it comes to recruiting. It just helps everything stay nice and balanced in the long run.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Then let's consider them "in pencil" for the moment. We'll see what the EA folks have in store for us.

23. Goose

Goose Walk On

I'll take the CornHuskers for next year.

I'm a fan of 48-72 hour advances.

24. Goose

Goose Walk On

[​IMG]
    It's been 2,733 days.... Just saying.

25. jca312

jca312 Walk On

48-72 hours would be good

Top 2 teams I'm interested in are Michigan and Washington, but since BigSmooth was the #1 pick, I'll make another team work depending on the setup.