The NFC Playoff picture

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by charter04, Oct 8, 2014.

1. charter04

charter04 Walk On

The NFC playoff chase is going to be interesting. There are about 10 teams fighting for 6 spots. The only teams that have clinched are Green Bay and Seattle. They have both won their divisions. Everything else is so crazy I'm not going to try and figure it all out.

NFC East
    This is the craziest division in football. All 4 teams could be tied at the end of the season. If the Giants beat STL this week they will be entering week 17 with Dallas and Philadelphia at 9-6 and Washington and New York at 8-7. Dallas plays Washington and Philadelphia plays New York. This sets up the possibility of a four way tie if the 8-7 teams beat the 9-6 teams. I'm going to go over all 4 possibilities for each team.

Dallas Cowboys (Dallas is 9-6 and plays the Redskins who are 8-7)
    If Dallas wins and Philadelphia loses the Cowboys will be the division champs. If Dallas wins and Philadelphia wins then the Eagles would win the division because of the division record tiebreaker. That would put Dallas in a possible tie with the Saints and Panthers for the wild card. The Cowboys hold the head to head tiebreaker with Saints but, they haven't played the Panthers. The Falcons would be in that group too if they lose to the Saints this week. The tiebreaker between them would be conference record and Dallas would have a better one and would win that tie break and be one of the wild cards. If Dallas loses and Philadelphia loses their would be a 4 way tie and Philly would be the division winner. Dallas would then have to have to hope other teams lose and win a tiebreaker with other 9-7 teams. My brains is already hurting from all the possibilities. The best hope is to win.

Philadelphia Eagles (Philly is 9-6 and plays the Giants who are 7-7)
    If the Eagles win they are the division winner. If they lose and Dallas wins the Cowboys are the division winners and Philly would be fight for the wild card. If Philly loses and Dallas loses the Eagles are the division winner.

Washington Redskins (Washington is 8-7 and play the Cowboys who are 9-6)
    If Washington loses they are out. They would be 8-8 and there are too many others that already have 9 wins. If they win and Philly wins they would be in a crazy tiebreaker situation with possibly 4 other teams. They would have the same division record as Dallas and the same conference record as them and possibly the other 3 teams. The wild card tiebreaker would go to record against common opponents. I'm not going to look that up for this many teams. We'll just see how it goes. lol

New York Giants (The Giants still have to play their week 16 game. If they lose they are out. If they win this will set up their game at 8-7 against the 9-6 Eagles)
    If they lose to the Eagles they are out. If they win and Dallas loses then they will also be in the Wild Card madness.

There is the NFC east. Someone else will have to do the rest because my brain hurts.

• Like Like x 3
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  2. charter04

charter04 Walk On

As of now the NFC looks like this.

1. Seattle Seahawks
    2. Green Bay Packers
    3. Atlanta Falcons
    4. Philadelphia Eagles
    5. New Orleans Saints
    6. Dallas Cowboys

1 and 2 would get a buy.
    Game 1-Dallas would go on the road and play the Falcons. Home field advantage goes to Atlanta. Falcons win 31-27
    Game 2-Saints play Eagles on the road. Once again the home team wins 27-21
    Game 3- The Eagles would play Seattle on the Road. Home team wins again 17-10
    Game 4-Falcons on the Road at Green Bay. Falcons win on the road 35-21
    Game 5-Falcons go on the Road at Seattle. Seattle wins a tough one 24-23

• Like Like x 1
  3. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I forgot to mention Arizona and Detroit. They are still in the mix too. Arizona beat my team so they have the head to head advantage if I finish with the same record. Didn't mean to leave them out just so many teams to keep up with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

Unless my Lions sim win against Chicago tonight we are probably out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    49ers are done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. publik drunk

publik drunk King of the East

Carolina still alive at 9-6 too :). This is a crazy race

7. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

The NFC is crazy, going to come down to week 17 to decide final selections. Rams going SIM due to Xbox failure really changed the picture. And I know the Skins got a loss on a game they should have won due to a SIM. These things really changed the picture, opened up even more madness.

• Like Like x 2
  8. charter04

charter04 Walk On

yea I mentioned the Panthers in the Cowboys scenarios

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

With the Giants game likely going to a sim in week 16, there are 8 possible scenarios for how the NFC East plays out. With that said, with how the tiebreakers play out, the Giants and Redskins have actually already been eliminated from the division.
    • If Philadelphia wins in week 17 - they win the NFC East
    • If Dallas wins and Philadelphia loses in Week 17 - The Cowboys win the NFC East
    • If Philadelphia and Dallas both lose - Philadelphia wins the division by holding tiebreakers over each team in the division.

10. Cheez

The Saints win over Atlanta makes the NFC South very interesting. Both the Saints and the Falcons are now 10-6, with the Panthers lurking at 9-5. Carolina travels to Atlanta, and New Orleans goes to Tampa Bay.
    • If Atlanta wins, they win the NFC South
    • If New Orleans wins and Atlanta loses, the Saints win the NFC South
    • If both Atlanta and New Orleans lose, Carolina wins the NFC South.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Cheez

The top 2 seeds in the NFC are still up for grabs, with 4 teams vying for them: Seattle and Green Bay sit at 11-4 with Atlanta and New Orleans at 10-5.

Seattle hosts St. Louis, Green Bay hosts Detroit, Atlanta hosts Carolina and New Orleans goes to Tampa Bay.

Seattle has clinched a first round bye.
    • If Seattle wins: Seattle gets home field.
    • If Green bay wins: Green Bay gets 1st round bye.
    • If Seattle and Green Bay both lose, Seattle gets home field and the following tiebreakers will decide the 2 seed.
      • If Green Bay loses and Atlanta wins NFC South: Atlanta gets bye (conference record tiebreaker over Green Bay)
      • If Green Bay loses and New Orleans wins NFC South: Green Bay gets bye (Head-to-head tiebreak over New Orleans)
    Long story short: New Orleans cannot get a bye. Atlanta gets a bye with a win and a Green Bay loss. Seattle gets home field with a win OR a Green Bay loss. Green Bay gets a bye with a win, or a loss and an Atlanta loss. Green Bay gets home field with a win and a Seattle loss.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. BrewBomber

BrewBomber Walk On

Green Bay should already have a bye since they beat Atlanta?

13. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Yea. I've got you and Seattle as the two top seeds

14. Cheez

must have missed that. did this in a hurry last night before my game.

15. charter04

charter04 Walk On

It looks the NFC playoff picture has all teams in that will make it.

Seahawks, Packers, Falcons, and Cowboys are your division winners.
    Saints and Lions are your Wildcard winners. Seeding is the part I don't have figured out.

If Seattle wins they are the #1 seed and GB the 2. If they lose it's more complicated. There would be three teams at 11-5. Seattle beat GB and GB beat Atlanta. Simple right? Well Seattle and Atlanta didn't play each other. I'll have to look it up.

I think Seattle will win and simplify it. Here's how I think it will look

1. Seattle
    2. GB
    3. Atlanta
    4. Dallas
    5. NO
    6. Detroit

First Round would be
    NO @ Dallas
    Detroit @ Atlanta

• Like Like x 2
  16. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Would love that situation to play out as I took two sim losses to GB and DET already this year, and that could be 1st two games if i win.

• Like Like x 1
  17. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Looks like I did good picking the NFC winner. I picked KC in the AFC so...

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

I wish the ATL/GBA wad played, I think Ant would have posed a problem deep in playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ptsbx1

ptsbx1 Walk On

next time they should try playing an unranked game and then winner gets to play cpu in the league.

• Like Like x 2