The NFL Cathedral, Preseason Week 2: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Aug 30, 2012.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

We have advanced!

Next Advance:
    -Friday, Midnight EST

Last Week:
    -getting games and practice in
    -trade discussions oh my!

This Week:
    -Keep looking under the hood!
    -trades are coming! (please post them and ask for advice beforehand)
    -Remember: each team is only allowed two reasonable/discussed trades and they must happen before the end of the Preseason
    -Also, if a trade had already happened in real life (i.e. Vontae Davis, etc), please do your best to make this happen and it will not count against your 2-trade allotment
    -Quarters changed to 7mins with no accelerated clock

Let the fun continue!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Walk On

Advance Friday you mean right?

3. vatechhokie01

corrected!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Colts 14 Steelers 9

In a game close to my heart, the Colts get thier first pre season victory. The starters played just the first qtr and rookie Andrew Luck was plagued by a few WR drops. The free agent signings made me look like a genius. Dennis Dixon and Deon Butler both had big games, and led the Colts in this one. Starting RB Donald Brown continued to underwhelm and at the moment, the Colts would open the season with Mewelde Moore as thier starter...3rd down back for sure. The Colts defense played well and the wrecking crew of Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney will stay together for one more year as after this game, I realized that one more year of Freeney is too fun to pass up.

News and Notes:
    QB Dennis Dixon solidified his number 2 spot on the QB Depth Chart. Drew Stanton will be released.
    HB Delone Carter, in a three way battle for touches lost a lot of ground, 11 carries for just 18 yards and the fumble that went the other way giving Pittsburgh their only TD.
    The battle for the 3rd and 4th WR is coming down to Donnie Avery, Deon Butler and T.Y Hilton. Butler and Hilton had great games, Butler going 5 for 78 yds and a td with Hilton snagging three great catches for 40 yds.

**The first team offense has yet to score a TD

The player of the game tonight was CB Cassius Vaughn. Fighting for playing time with Vontae Davis coming in and shifting everyone down a spot, Vaughn had two red zone INTS.

(sidenote) I love the auto subs in preseason game but....seriously on the punter/kicker. Vinateri punted two balls that may of went 8 total yards, anyone else have this?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

In the trade front, DT Cory Redding better start packing his bags...here are my offers

Tenn: 4th,6th(14), 7th(14)
    Pitt: 4th,6th,7th all this season
    Balt: Same as above
    Carolina:4th and a 6th
    Green Bay: WR James Jones and a 6th
    NYJ 4th, 6th, 7th
    Jac: FB B. Bolen a 6th and 7th
    NYG: 3rd rounder
    SF: 4th and a 6th
    DallasL DT S. Lissemore and a 7th
    KC: 2nd rounder!!
    SD: FB Jacob Hester, 5th rounder

Having trouble decideing, do I send him to KC for that 2nd rounder or...take the three picks from Tennesee? Thoughts boys

Freeney just got me a 2nd round offer from AZ...I was hoping for a 2nd and a 3rd. Pulling him back

6. Brettmonty

Brettmonty Walk On

Texans 37 49ers 14

Another easy win for the Texans, two games in a row that the Texans have score 37 points or more in only two weeks of pre season play. Not to much passing for the Texans considering they were up big after the first but the opposing team just couldn't stop that either. Easy time moving the ball especially had a few big plays two of the which were by Andrea Johnson in the First quarter. Ben Tate got knocked out with a concussion but was only out for the game and will return next week.

Been a little easy hoping that its just because its pre-season and going up against back up's because I doubt that I am that good and the Texans don't have anyone offense outside of their big 3 offensive players

3rd string HB went off on the 49ers with some big runs and had 17 carries for 111 yards and 2 tds
    Both qb's went 6-8 not a lot of passing since I was up early
    I have a sick returner in Tridon Holiday (No Devin Hester but still really good)

• Like Like x 2
  7. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

I had to put my punter back in as a starter. Why can't the kicker kicker farther than 10 yards? But is funny watching the cpu kicking 5 yards though.

Side note----I already lost my starting olb Chad Greenway with a broken collarbone for 7 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

I had to put my punter back in as a starter. Why can't the kicker kicker farther than 10 yards? But is funny watching the cpu kicking 5 yards though.

Side note----I already lost my starting olb Chad Greenway with a broken collarbone for 7 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Bonner-how's your day look? I'll be at Busch gardens with the fam till lunch and free all day after that.

10. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Bonner-how's your day look? I'll be at Busch gardens with the fam till lunch and free all day after that.

11. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

I should be home from work today no later than 4pst.

12. vatechhokie01

Trade Announcement (both Ian and my 1st official trade):

The Miami Dolphins have traded a 4thrd pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 71ovr SS Cody Grimm.
    (This happened last night and then this morning Grimm was cut by the Bucs in real life, lol. I'm a VT homer, dude had a monster rookie campaign and then sat out all last season with broken leg. Apparently not fully recovered.)

In other news, and not counting against either teams trade quotas, the Dolphins shipped their 4th best overall player (I'm telling you, the Dolphins are terrible) CB Vontae Davis to the Colts for a 2013 2nd rounder and 2014 7th rounder in order to reflect prior real life dealings.

Along the rumor mill lines, the Dolphins are still complicating a somewhat surprising trade that would bring in Cardinals RB Ryan Williams, which we have to believe would be the end to Reggie Bush's (1yr left on contract) time with the Dolphins... especially with how good rookie RB Lamar Miller has looked in the preseason. But whatever the case, through trading Davis, potentially releasing/trading Bush, and acquiring younger talent, it is clear that the new management and coach in Miami is looking to free up cap space, acquire picks, and go even younger than they already are.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vatechhokie01

You seem to be the only one really blowing people out! lol... but yea, we will keep an eye on it. In my short time, 1) we need to lower user interceptions. They seem to be pretty darn easy (typically the case in these games) and contributing to a ton of easy scores and 2) upping rushing difficulty a bit.

Will see what others are saying and doing and again, we won't be making any huge wholesale changes. Little stuff here and there. And remember, with most playing minimum 6 user games and playoffs, some of our success with even playing-field that the NFL is is a little less troublesom. But yes, my biggest red flag concern would indeed be if every game is a blowout. Not fun at all there.

14. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

1 year of Reggie Bush for 1 year of Dwight Freeney?

15. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

It seems like the real life Colts feel like they can compete this season. I do not. This season is to acquire some picks and have some cap room. With the upcoming trade of Cory Redding, the Colts are still looking to add more young peices for their championship run next season. So, User teams, Dwight Freeney on the edge? I am looking at you krbonn76, opposite Peppers?

16. vatechhokie01

note: if everyone is winniing everything, no one needs to spend money and that sucks

17. vatechhokie01

yuck. i have cameron wake (92ovr, i dont even know who this is, lol) and karlos dansby. thats enough money and power for us right now friend. no saggy old balls needed.

18. Brettmonty

Brettmonty Walk On

Ok doing both of those sound great, and hopefully uping the rushing difficult will make it harder for me lol but Yeah I have noticed I am the only one just blowing the other team out, could be the extra playing time I got with the game IDK? lol

19. vatechhokie01

get your games in. practice! make your trades!

other note: it has been discussed and just want to make sure you guys know that xp as well as scouting points (when we get them in regular season) both accumulate, meaning you don't have to scout or progress players each week. In fact, it is probably quite advantageous to hold off and see where you need progression and what your draft needs will be. many simply waiting until end of season to scout. personally, i plan on doing it every 4 weeks or so to keep the storylines flowing and part of it for me. but as long as im happy with team, i will probably hold off quite awhile to progress players.

20. Ian Moss

Ian Moss Walk On

Bucs get crushed by the Titans 56-3!!!
    The Bucs got to a bad start as Josh Freeman played two series and came out of the game for Dan Orlovsky. We had a hard time stopping the run as Chris Johnson ran wild for two series and then Javon Ringer ran wild the rest of the game. Nobody could stop Jake Locker who at one point throw 9 straight completions and the Bucs had no answers on defense. Orlovsky threw 5 interceptions in the game and when I had to punt the ball it went like 30 yards every time. I don't know how that happens but oh well. It's just preseason and got another game coming up tomorrow. I guess there is nowhere to go but up from here.
    In other news the Bucs trade Cody Grimm to the Miami Dolphins for a 4th round pick in the 2013 draft. "Just looking to style pile some picks in the middle rounds to build this team. We have a lot of work to do but I know Mr. Glazer believes in our system and what we can do to improve on it."

• Like Like x 1
  21. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

A 4th, 6th and 7th from the Bills was offered for deangelo hall. Thoughts?

22. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

sounds like something that the bills would do....more likely, something redskins would offer so....go for it

23. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Tim Hightower now on the block

24. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

According to the Cathedral twitter feed. The Mort Report says the Falcons Tony Gonzales done for the season. Probably done for career.

Dang Luke....way to take out a HOF.

• Like Like x 1
  25. vatechhokie01

the cpu loves these late rd 3 pick packages for good not great players. seems a lot to me, but not absolutely atrocious. go for it.