The O-Zone: Oregon Ducks 2011

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by nrg_qbz-_-, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

The O-Zone: Oregon Ducks 2011

LaMichael James' Breaks Rushing Record, Oregon Cruises Past K-State 45-14

Hold on to your seats folks, LaMichael just reintroduced himself to the country as a legitimate Heismann contender after the best rushing game in Ducks history...and he did it while watching freshman Lache Seastrunk handle most of the carries in the second half. This game was special for new coach Huyen Nguyen, who returned to his alma mater. "I had goosebumps running onto the field with the guys. It was special." Nothing was special in the early going for the Ducks, as Darron Thomas looked completely out of sync with his wide receivers. Kansas State showed no sympathy, as they jumped out to a 7-0 lead on a Broderick Smith 21 yard TD reception. The high-powered Oregon Ducks offense would go scoreless in the first quarter.

The second half saw Darron Thomas get into a groove of sorts, as he connected with WR Chad Delaney for a 15 yard TD catch. However, Thomas would dislocate his shoulder and be out for the rest of the game. In hostile territory with a tied score and the starting QB out for the game, the Ducks looked to be in trouble. The special teams had better ideas. On the ensuing kick off, Oregon forced K-State to fumble. Backup QB Bryan Bennett would then hit TE David Paulson for a TD. On the very next kickoff, Oregon once again made K-State cough up the football, leading to a 4 yard TD from James. Oregon had score 21 straight point after falling behind 7 points to start off the game. Could the Ducks continue the momentum? Enter LaMichael James.

James would score two more touchdowns in the half on runs of 42 and 48 yards. Displaying quick, darting moves and ankle-breaking cuts, LaMichael left K-State defenders whiffing at air early and often. "He was a freaking blur out there. Some of the Wildcat defenders told me that he was ridiculous. I would have to agree," said WR John Huff. James would play for half of the 3rd quarter before giving way to highly recruited Lache Seastrunk. LaMichael had 4TD's. "Man, how do you even follow up to something like that?" said a smiling Seastrunk. "I told him that wasn't cool. At least come out with a fumble so I might look better."

The defense played exceptionally well, recovering 5 fumbles. "I am extremely happy with our defense. We contained the opponents and forced them into difficult situations," said coach Nguyen. "Our second stringers recovered three fumbles? That's a heck of a job." Having LaMichael James obviously helps. "To say LaMichael was outstanding today would be an understatement. He played with so much heart and determination that he literally willed us to a win. When Darron went down, he told me to put the ball in his hands," said coach Nguyen. "He took the ball and ran with it. Unfortunately for K-State, he kept running. Just unbelievable."

With the PAC-10 watching to see how Oregon would respond after going through another coach, they better believe the the Ducks are back. "Losing to Texas in the Holiday Bowl hurts. We had that game. But whatever, that's in the past. We're all about the here and now," said LaMichael James. "Coach has a plan for us and we believe in him. He told us we can win the PAC-10 and that this isn't a rebuilding year. We have talent at the skill position...it's go time baby!!!"

MVP || LaMichael James: 29 carries for 310 yards, 4 TD's, 0 fumbles.

[YOUTUBE]ZocMb1_aTiw[/YOUTUBE]​

2. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

LaMichael James and Oregon Makes a Statement Against Boise State

[​IMG]

Look out PAC-10. In fact, look out world...the Oregon Ducks have arrived. Picked by the media to finish near the bottom of the PAC-10 after losing key contributors from last year's 8-5 squad, the Ducks have opened up the season with two resounding victories under new coach nrg_qbz. This week, the Ducks faced #8 Boise State. The Ducks drew first blood with a methodical opening drive, capped off by a short TD run by LaMichael James. After forcing Boise State to punt once more, the fans in Eugene went crazy as James once again found the endzone, as stunned Boise State players looked on. "It was crazy out there today man. I could barely hear myself think," said James. "I just took the ball and ran hard. It was fun."

Not to be rattled, Kellen Moore rallied his troops in the beginning of the second quarter and threw a TD pass to cut the lead to 7-14. However, James once again found an answer, breaking off a long TD run to extend the lead to 21-7. The Ducks would head into the second half up 21-10. Receiving first possession of the second half, Moore directed his troops on a long 4-minute drive, moving down the field at will and converting numerous key 3rd down plays. Boise State would score once more to trim the lead to 21-17. The fans could feel the momentum swinging back to the Bronco's favor. LaMichael James would take it right back. On the ensuing kickoff, James returned the kick for 89 yards. "That was a huge play," said coach nrg_qbz. "Boise just absolutely torched us and burned off a lot of clock on their last drive. For LaMichael to respond within a matter of seconds...amazing."

Up 28-17, the Ducks had a little bit of breathing room. Kellen Moore would make the Ducks and their fans hold their breath. Moore drove the Bronco's downfield once more and threw another TD, 28-24. After a key defensive stand, the Bronco's took possession of the ball and would put themselves in position to take the lead for the first time. Driving down field and killing off precious time, Boise State was in prime position to score a TD while leaving the Ducks with no time left on the clock. However, faced with a 4th and 3 deep in the Ducks territory, the home team called a perfect blitz and caused Moore to throw an inaccurate pass. Trying to run out the clock, LaMichael James once again broke off for a long run to put the Ducks up 35-24.

With the game seemingly in hand, the Bronco's somehow managed to score another TD (missed xp), to make it 35-30 with all three timeouts left. "That was absolutely abysmal. How we managed to let Boise State score that quickly with little time left is baffling," said coach nrg_qbz. "Thank goodness for our special teams." Thank goodness is right, as Oregon barely recovered the onside kick. Game, set, match.

LaMichael ran for over 200 yards on 19 carries and had 4 rushing TD's along with 1 kickoff return for a TD. "He is so explosive. With the loss of Barner, we had to rely on LaMichael even more than in the past," said QB Darron Thomas. "He has welcomed the challenge and stepped it up a notch this season."

[YOUTUBE]jA7XbinxR3Y[/YOUTUBE]​

3. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Oregon Slips by Washington State, Wins 41-31

The Ducks survived a close one with the Washington State Cougars, failing to score multiple times throughout the game when they seemingly had a touchdown. WR Blake Cantu dropped a sure TD pass in the corner of the endzone. WR Chad Delaney decided to dive into the endzone and, despite not being touched by anyone, fumbles it at the 1/2 yard line and was recovered by the Cougars. LaMichael James broke off for a 60 yard TD run only to have it called back for clipping. James broke off for another long TD and it was called back for clipping again. "This game was frustrating to watch. We could have blown this game open so many times," said Coach Nguyen. "We let them hang around and that was unacceptable.

Halfway through the second quarter, the Cougars had a 17-7 lead and had the ball. However, Oregon would force a turnover and score to make it 14-17 at halftime. Despite coming out of the locker room very animated, the Ducks' players were shocked to only exchange TD's with the Cougars in the third quarter.

Down 20-24 at the beginning of the 4th quarter, the crowd in Pullman could sense the victory. "They were screaming a whole lot of nonsense," said QB Darron Thomas. "I don't think you want me to repeat what I heard." The Washington State Cougars don't want to repeat the 4th quarter either. Oregon scored 21 straight unanswered points with TD catches by Blake Cantu and TE David Paulson, capped by a TD run by LaMichael James. Before the Cougars knew it, they were down 41-24. A meaningless TD at the end made the final score 41-31. "It's a long season. We're going to have games like this where we struggle," said LaMichael James. "We came together when it matters the most. That's all we can do."

Darron Thomas: 12-23, 193 yards passing, 3 TD's vs 1INT

LaMichael James: 33 carries for 189 yards, 3 TD's

David Paulson: 5 catches for 98 yards, 1 TD​

4. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Oregon Squeaks by UCLA, Wins 38-35

[​IMG]

Despite dominating UCLA through the air and on the ground, Oregon found themselves in a battle with the clock winding down. It wasn't until an onside recovery by the Ducks was their a sigh of relief on the sidelines. "This one was too close for comfort," said QB Darron Thomas. "Sloppy, sloppy game. We have to get it together soon."

The Ducks started off the first quarter with a bang, converting two straight UCLA fumbles into LaMichael James' TD runs. UCLA would fumble for the third time on their next possession, however, the Bruins caught a lucky bounce as WR Nelson Rosario scooped the ball up for a 49 yard TD run. A quick three and out resulted in another UCLA TD. The second quarter started with Thomas hitting James for a TD catch. After shutting down the UCLA offense once more, the Ducks looked poised to take the game over once and for all. This would not happen, as Darron Thomas fumbled the ball on a QB option play. CB Aaron Hester would pick up the ball and run 27 yards to tie up the score. The unflappable Darron Thomas would respond by hitting TE Curtis White for a 35 yard TD right before halftime. Ducks up 28-21.

Up 31-21 late in the third quarter, Heismann hopeful LaMichael James would rumble for a 53 yard TD run. The Autzen fans would not have time to celebrate, as HB Jonathan Franklin would respond with an 80 yard run. Holding onto a 38-28 lead heading into the final quarter, the Ducks would miss valuable opportunities, missing two easy FG's. "To drive down the field twice and get no points...I am not happy about that," said Coach Nguyen. UCLA would score a TD with 22 seconds left, but could not recover the onside kick afterwards. "A win is a win. We'll learn from this," said James.

[YOUTUBE]H4vgP8pQAgw[/YOUTUBE]​

5. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Oregon Struggles for the Second Straight Week, Loses to Arizona 14-21

Oregon had a fast start to the season but has looked very mediocre in the last month. For the second week, Oregon fell to another PAC-10 team. A poor passing game combined with crucial turnovers was what doomed the Ducks.

Arizona returned a Darron Thomas INT 77 yards for the first score of the game. LaMichael James would tie it up on a short TD run in the second quarter, but QB Nick Foles would put the Wildcats up 14-7 on a 22yard pass to WR David Roberts. At the end of the third, Foles would throw another TD pass to his TE, leading Arizona to a 21-7 cushion heading into the final quarter.

Oregon would quickly go 3 and out, which was the story for most of the day. Right when Arizona was about to score another TD to put the game away, the Ducks somehow forced a turnover in the endzone and recovered it. Moving down the field, the Ducks would score on a LaMichael James TD run. However, time was running out. Amazingly, the Ducks once again forced a fumble. With the fans eager to see a comeback, Darron Thomas would throw his fourth interception of the day, ending all hopes of a victory for the Ducks. "I apologize for my play today," said Thomas. "I let my team down with all those turnovers. The defense were put in bad spots all day man."

The Ducks must now regroup. Looking at a 2-2 record in conference play with Stanford, USC, and Oregon State on the horizon, the Ducks have no time to feel sorry for themselves. "We are not quitters. This is a learning experience and we will get stronger," said James. "You will see a different Oregon Ducks team from here on out. I promise you."​

6. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

Oregon Escapes Arizona State

Oregon Edges Arizona State, Wins 23-21

Most of Oregon's wins (and losses) have been by close margins. This weeks' game against the Sun Devils was no different. Despite producing more total yards and doubling the time of possession, Oregon had to rely on its defense to prevent a late-minute choke job.

Oregon had a 17-7 lead near the end of the 2nd quarter, but allowed a late TD right before halftime due to huge breakdowns in the secondary. "These guys are young, but they've got to get better quickly," said an exasperated coach nrg_qbz. "They sure showed a lot of heart in the 4th quarter though."

Indeed they did. Leading 23-21, Oregon once again killed themselves by not making a chip field goal. "At this point, I don't know what else to say," said kicker Rob Beard. "I almost cost our team again. It's troublesome." With renewed life, Arizona State marched down the field with ease and looked like they were going to score the game winning field goal. However, a holding call and two clutch sacks had ASU facing a 4th and 35. Needless to say, Oregon finally found a passing down they felt comfortable with. "We will take the win. It doesn't matter how ugly it is," said CB Cliff Haris. "We still have a chance at the PAC-10 championship. We're taking it one game at a time." ​