The Open Championship Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by JohnnyClutch, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

A Brit won the US Open will an American step up and win the British Open?

If the winds are high 25-30 mph I think the playing field will be more leveled and we might see some more members near the top of the board. The last couple of tournaments have seen more people getting comfortable with the game, learning how to manage the course, and getting putting down thus posting better scores than in the earlier tournaments.

I think someone will step up and we will have a new first time winner for the Open Championship.

2. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Not if I can help it :D Getting DNF on the last tourney really ticked me off,so watch out!!!

From what I've seen for the rounds I've played so far the wind has been manageable,but the greens will be the equalizer imo...Some pins on expert are silly hard,and it won't make a difference if we hax expert,because the hard settings are just as difficult...Of course the weather may be differnet next week and then it'll be really fun

3. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I'm currently in Madeira on vacation for the week (look it up Vlad, lol), I'm back Sunday afternoon. I think hard pins are a good test at St Andrews. Can't see the wind getting too high at the time we play, which ends up being like 3am GMT for you guys. Im actually going to St Georges for the Fridays play, so will see the real thing this year. It's only about 50 miles from my home - on the rare occasion it's played down in the south of England. Anyways, back to TGA, Im very much looking forward to St Andrews, i agree with Vlad and i think expert pins are a bit ridiculous though.

Hope the wind blows and you Yanks are more Phil Mickelson than Tiger Woods around the links. :p

4. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    I mnow exactly where Madeira is and I'm very jealous both about your vacation spot and your Open visit!!! Have fun you deserve it- all those late nights waiting to spot a fellow PS3 golf player sure take a toll on a man ;) !!!!

As far as the play goes though you read me wrong( must be my accent) : I have absolutely NO problem keeping the experts pins,for the week ,since the hard can be similar!!!

5. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Ahh ok. In that case, bring on the expert pins. Should be a good and fun test. I replied in the pins thread about it. Vacation has been lovely. Playing my second round at Palheiro Golf course tomorrow. 1800 meters above sea level. Golfing in the clouds (literally) with the gods. :)

6. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Once again given you'll go trough rain,fog and wind for the next 51 weeks in London we'll forgive your bragging

7. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Haha. Exactly sir.

8. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Getting really pumped about this!!! I've put in A LOT of practice rounds the last 2 weeks,and feel ready,except for the left and right locations on expert on the 18th that hole is just a bitch!!!

9. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I've just got home, not touched the game all week, my preparation hadn't been ideal. Can't complain with a holiday though :p

10. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Oh they let you back in England :D ?!!!

11. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

They did indeed ! lol. However, they were a bit concerned about a big metal trophy i was carrying... they tried to claim it was stolen from the United States... :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Flight captains only, please post scores in here.

Since weather is fixed and NCAA is coming out this week, you may play your rounds whenever as long as you don't screw over anyone in your flight. Post the scores on the days specified by the tournament please. There will be no flexibility if you miss the Thursday a.m. deadline to submit your first 3 rounds, so don't forget to post.

Good luck and have fun with these brutal greens!

Updated: 7:17am on 7/14

13. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    All the cool college HC play golf in their spare time!!! Y'all have a chance to play at St Andrews !!! Just saying you NCAA freaks :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Round 1 - Spotted for Vlad. Even he will tell you how kind expert pins were to him. pfft.

xyzvld22 - 63 (-9)

Round 1

cazz112 - 66 (-6)
    Dub-Ya - 73 (+1)

Very tough pins.

15. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    IMO on expert the left pin on 14,and both left and right on 18 can be a round killer.I played 15 practice rounds in which I got those,and parred those holes only 4 times,with 6 11s...I was very fortunate not to draw those today...

Piece of advice for 18...Do not try to pitch close to the hole,the ball will roll down to a position you can only pitch/chip...Instead try to position the aproach as close to (or right on) the green UNDER the hole,so you can put...The hole will be 3-4 ft above,so you'll have to adjust,but it is the only option IMO

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Hey Jon... your score counts the first round you play. Please use your created golfer when you play your first round and do the spotting, you can still play with dub-ya after. I don't like the impression it gives off.

17. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I hear you. When i spot Vlad i'm not really paying attention, im doing other work related bits and pieces on the laptop and not giving the game my full attention. I'm more just helping him out than anything.

When i sit down later on and play i have the time and don't rush around the course, which is why i score later on.

I'm not sure what you mean by the impression it gives off ??

18. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Round 1

uncleho 71
    JohnnyClutch 72

19. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I'm guessing he means the impression of you could be picking which round to score.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

If that is the case, then I don't like how helping someone out at a time that is less convenient for me, somehow winds up into giving people the impression that im picking and choosing my rounds. I thought this league was supposed to be gentelmanly and what not. If people think that - then I am happy to never spot a round again ( sorry xyzvld22 )

I usually use a set golfer like Tiger Woods or something when i spot someone, but today i must admit, i wasn't paying attention and used my custom created golfer.... oh and for the record Vlad will testify that i shot lower than (-6) earlier on.

... Some advantage i must be giving myself.

21. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    That is a negative...There was a "declaration" he won't score this one...

It was also the first time not a licensed golfer was used...I shouldve said something but we had to reset the game (BEFORE START IF someone is reading between the lines) twice once he put the pins on easy and the second time he setup for TPC Sawgrass...I think he was still drunk on Tempranillo

He is also correct about the fact he scored 64 the round he played with me,beating me most of the way till I caught fire from 13th on,so yeah the argument about choosing is not valid...It was a harmless mistake that is about to get blown out of proportion.BTW Jon once again stop being so sensitive lol

Enough with the nitpicking gentleman...There is only so few of us left,let's just have some fun and get along,instead of arguing over everything

Basis I guarentee only licensed golfers will be used for spotting from now on

22. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I'm not nitpicking or reading between any lines, I was just stating the obvious impression it gives off. I'm sure you play by the rules and I'm not worried about it, I was just trying to answer the question. Next time I will leave it to Basis.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I just think this is what Basis and uncle were talking about.

24. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I know, I appreciate your response. I didnt mean for it to be aimed at you. It was more a reply to anyone who holds such a view as the one you highlighted.

25. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I know. Usually I play as Tiger to avoid confusion, this one time I didn't (as Vlad stated in his earlier post.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.