The Open Championship @ Royal Birkdale Scoring & Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Vlad, May 21, 2012.

1. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Welcome to the 2nd Annual Open Championship!

The tournament will be held at the Royal Birkdale and will consist of 3 tournaments:
    The Open
    The British Amateur Open
    The British Senior Open

Check the appropriate sheet in the scoring file bellow for list of players eligible for the Amateur and Senior Opens,as well as all the scoreboards!​
    You can post all discussion in this thread,just make sure you tag me or SkinniePost if you are entering a score (i.e. round played with another member after disconnect )

Vlad is the defending champion,good luck to all the players!!!​

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  2. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    The Open Championship Scoreboards

3. Vlad

Featured Threads:
  4. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  5. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Any reason the Open isn't being held at one of the courses in Britain?

EDIT: nevermind, in the first post it says its being played at Valhalla, but I guess reading the title and scoreboard would help, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Fixed lol

7. krtgolfing

krtgolfing Moderator

Got off to a good start in the tournament with like a 6 under bar round and then followed that up with a +1 round.. I left so many shots out there.. Misses three pretty simple putts within five feet of the whole.. Also with a few wedge shots flew over the green or left terribly short... Oh well... I am just so inconsistent in this game it is not even funny!!

8. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

When you're praying for just one hole where the wind is under 14MPH, you can call it challenging all you want, but that shit ain't fun.

9. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    well it is the british open you know?! no more wind after this one i promise :) (except maybe for the PGA,so we dont get -70 for a winning score)

10. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

British Open, meh. Jon Carroll, do ya'll really get almost-tropical storm winds all the time??? Honestly, I'd have been happy to at least get a tailwind on one of the par 5's. All my good tailwinds (22MPH+) were on the par 3's.

11. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

That's interesting because I don't remember seeing winds above 20 mph through my whole 1st round (XBOX). There were a few times it fluctuated between 15 and 20, but never higher than that.

12. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Almost entire round was between 14-24, with some below and above that range. You didn't have ANYTHING ABOVE 20MPH????

13. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    He has connections when it comes to weather of course

Nope they get British Isles winds.Tropical winds are nice and refreshing, British are whipping and miserable. And talking of Jon Carroll looks like someone has been practicing at Birkdale ! Now find time to play me heads up yo!

14. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

15. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    matchplay? weren't you eligible before too?

16. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

I was eligible for amateur prior to this tournament....although my handicap compared to others who are eligible would have me needing to put down scores that would win the out-right title anyway....lol.

And in all honesty, I'm not good enough to really contend anyway, and I know that.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  17. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

It was late, but I don't remember seeing anything above 20 mph.

Usually it was 13-18. There were 2-3 holes where it was 5-10 mph.

And yes, Vlad, I have connections...but usually the weather doesn't listen to me. ;)

18. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    StormJr - The wind whisperer

Yeah I'm regretting inviting all this new people :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

This tournament is really frustrating me! Rounds have been 'ok'....no double digits.

But here are the two things that have been frustrating me...

1) The ball not reacting to the wind as it should. I have a feeling it has to do with the random landing affecting it an essentially taking over. But that is pure BS. The wind AMPLIFIES the Random Landing. I'm sure of it.

2) The greens are so uneven and the green grid is at such a low resolution that you can't get (IMO) an accurate read of the green. In the 3 rounds I've played, I've probably had 6 15-20ft birdie putts that dove left or right only a few inches from the hole.

AHHHHHHH....

Ok, I'm done. ;)

20. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    The greens at RB might be tougher then Valhalla !

• Like Like x 1
  21. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

Completely agree....and damn, those gifs are going to get me in trouble here at work for laughing too loud...LOL...

23. CapEm16

CapEm16 Walk On

Question about #1

What do you have your CAG accuracy attribute set to?

Reason I ask is, I'm sure that "random landing" was taken out of this years version of TW. I keep hearing everyone talk about the winds and how difficult they are and how sometimes the ball just doesn't react how you think it should. I am never surprised how the ball reacts to the wind, usually it reacts just how I thought it would, but I might be off a bit depending on the "wind gusts" or a misread. Now I have my accuracy attribute set to 97, but what may remain to be seen is IF there is a bit of random landing depending on your CAG accuracy attribute, which would be more than the suggested "effect on mishit shots".

24. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Ha. I had 20 mph winds too. I just hit the ball well and putted ok. I've had nowhere near as much time with this game as i wanted. Work is dominating my life at the moment and when i do get to play Tiger im usually soooo bloody tired and meh.

Still, I had a solid round yesterday. :)

As Vlad said... the winds you get in southport are from the Irish Sea, "northerly winds". They often bring cold, wet and generaly miserable (british weather) with them ! haha. Makes for a great golf test though......

25. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

I've got my Acc at 100%.

Random landing was not taken out of the game, it was just toned down. There was a post by HANDS a while ago on the EA boards that said in Tournament Mode there is a 5 yd side to side variability in the longer clubs, less in the shorter clubs. Less of a Random Landing for Tour Mode. Hardly noticeable for Pro mode. No Random Landing for AM.

Here's my example: 17 mph left to right wind. I aim 3 yds into the rough on the left side of the fairway and it goes DEAD STRAIGHT (into the rough). Happened to me multiple times. The reason I've never noticed it before is two fold: I usually play Tour Mode or lower, so the RL is much less noticeable. The other reason is because when I've played Tournament Mode rounds, the winds haven't been this strong so I've never had to compensate for that high of a wind. The most noticeable differences for me were off the tee with a driver, or using a wood/long iron towards a green on a par 5. Which would match up with the RL as outlined above by HANDS.

My Theory was that in a stronger wind, instead of the 5 yd left to right, it is amplified...maybe because of the gusts? I have no idea.

However, if it never surprises you then I have no idea what is going on. Is it possible that even with 100% accuracy and even though I'm showing a perfect up and down shot that there was still a slight 'mis-swing' left or right?

I have no idea. All I know is it was extremely frustrating knowing that I was aiming at a certain spot that I KNOW would give me a good next shot (I'm no slouch when it comes to TW games) and having it land much further away than I had thought.