The Option Attack - An Offline Dynasty

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MartyWebb, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

The option offense is a generic term that is used to describe a wide variety of offensive systems in American football. Option offenses are characterized as such due to the predominance of option running plays employed in these schemes. Option offenses have traditionally relied heavily upon running plays, though modern option offenses now incorporate a large number of passing plays. Because they are run-based, option offenses are very effective in managing the game clock, giving the opposing team less time to score, and keeping the option team's defense from tiring. However, this also means that when the option team is losing near the end of the game, and needs to score quickly, it is at a disadvantage. These schemes rely on timing, deception, and split-second decision-making under pressure, which, in turn, requires flawless execution and discipline.

2. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

The NIU Athletic Director, Jeff Compher, approaches the podum. "Hello to the Alumni, to the Press, and to the families and individuals who've joined us today. I'm proud to announce that our football team will have a new coach entering the 2012-13 season. Please join me in welcoming Marty Webb Jr. to the Huskies family!"

Coach Webb enters, shakes Compher's hand, and walks up to the podum. "How are y'all doin' this afternoon?" The press promptly goes cross-eyed, they hadn't hardly heard of this guy, but he's speaking like a farm boy. "I'm proud to take this job, at Northern Illinois, a place I never thought I'd find myself. The Northern Illinois football team has become something of a shooting star in my life. Coming onto the map, with Garrett Wolfe, out of no where. A place for great future coaches to spread their wings in the MAC, and hopefully, a place where I can call home for the foreseeable future. Do you have any questions for me?"

Press Reporter #1, "Coach, what do you have planned for the team and university that can seperate us from our MAC counterparts?"

Webb, "That's an interesting question Press. Gosh, if that's not a midwestern name I don't know what is. Anyhow, the conference has been high flying for a few years now. The spread, the speed, it's been enough to set us apart from some of the other conferences. I'm going to slow down things a bit, much like my speech, our approach will be thorough, tedious and time consuming."

Reporter #1, "How do you plan on doing that?"

Webb, "Implementing the lost art of the option game. No, not that spread option like those Ducks use, but the classic, the original, the option."

John Williams, Illinois Press, "Does the roster lean to that kind of system?"

Webb, "We will get there. Luckily we have time this summer to work on things, and the group of guys we're already looking at next year should help us in this system."

Williams, "You're actively recruiting already? Isn't that against NCAA rules? This time of the year coaches aren't allowed to reach out to potential recruits."

Webb, "This press conference is over...."

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm enjoying my lack of sleep this evening and wondering about something specific... The fact that you can't really "trick" the defense on a play action deep throw so much as just get lucky they called the wrong play. 20 run/option plays in a row doesn't necessarily increase the chances they'll be "fooled" by the thing, so does that change the way you will run it? I will be checking in from time to time.

4. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Read Option is CHEEZ, McFly!

5. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I miss the Marty McFly avatar MartyWebb

6. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

It will a little bit. Mostly, I plan on passing 10-15 times a game, but only about 5 of them pre-determined. If the defense gives me a look I like, I may audible out. It's going to be a learning experience the whole time through though.

It's more Triple Option, than Read, Sir Josh.

Well, since you asked..

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I like that idea... Recruit for guys with good REL ratings and speed... lol

Maybe some of the tall / fast athletes with good strength in hope they are hybrid WR/TE that can block too

8. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Season One, Week One
    Northern Illinois Hosts Iowa
    Jordan Lynch Sheds Light On Dreary Game

• Like Like x 1
  9. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Season One, Week Two
    Northern Illinois Hosts FCS Pillowbiter
    Offense Rolling before Conference Play

• Like Like x 1