The Option

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by recchem2000, Mar 18, 2009.

1. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

The Option

I was talking with PK after our game tonight about the option play. I used it a couple of times for some really big plays and it kind of turned the game around, along with the pick you threw in the 4th PK :)

Anyways, is the option a cheese play and should I bag it? I have a fast QB in this OD but have also used, or at least tried to use in the OFSL with a slow QB. If you guys think its a cheese play, let me know. It would kind of change things for how I wanted to run West Virginia when/if we make the big switch so I'd like to know what everyone thoughts were.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't see anything wrong with it, but some uses of it are a bit iffy. For example, the pitch is almost always perfect, even if the QB is in the grasp. Also, at times, the pitch travels a great distance, almost like a swing pass.

I don't think the option is cheese, but there are ways to work the option in very non-sim ways. The guys you see with 10+ yards per carry are getting it off a busted play. That play is an option play. How many ways it can be made to work, I don't know, but there are ways.

I don't think you need to ditch the option, but an understanding of how it can be abused should probably be common knowledge, so we know it when we see it, and try not to profit from it.

AG

3. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Not in this league either, but I have the exact same dilemma in TT V. I have a 90 speed freshman QB and I used him with great success in a user game. I ran him 5 times on the option and I caught the user I was playing on an inside blitz on a play action roll out and there was no one within 30 yards of me so I took it and it turned into a 45 yard run. I think he had 6 carries for 91 yards. I dont feel I abuse by any means but interested in this discussion.

4. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Tough one. The option has to be part of college football, but the only way to make it sim is with self-restraint.

The main bug is that when you run with a QB and press the Sprint button, defenders give up on their assignments to pursue you, thus opening up easy passes. So one self-control would be never passing after using the Sprint button.

Other might be not dishing off the lateral when being hit, but that seems a bit much. It's the pass thing where the real abuse pops up, I think.

5. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

I want to state my love/hate relationship with the option...lol...

I would be one of those players that if I had my choice, I would run the option and option pass offense with a Wing T twist. I love pounding the rock and playing tough D...BUT...

The option is somewhat broken to me in this years version so I feel I have an unfair advantage. Once you hit sprint and then move anywhere toward the line of scrimmage and quickly duck forward past the line of scrimmage upfield, as long as you hold the spring button, which is almost impossible not to do unless you have tremendous discipline, EVERYONE from the linemen, to the LB's to even the outside DB's and Safeties, and even the popcorn vendors, run to the QB and take angles that are difficult to recover from...the problem is the RB keeps running even farther and then the pitch takes these ridiculous angles even as the QB is in the grasp going down. I don't have a problem with the QB pitching from the grasp a few yards, but 10+ to the far outside is completely unrealistic.

It doesn't take much practice to perfect it either.

In our game Recchem, my only beef is that you had never ran the option all game and I had completely shut your O down and then BOOM 92 yards later on the option. Then the next series you used it again for another score.

The timing of how you used it kinda bothered me and you knew it did, and to your credit, you immediately addressed it. I repect you for that, and you even offered to not run it again, to which I replied that we don't have any rules against running it and I just need to stop it.

Had I known that you ran the option going into the game I would have changed my gameplay style but who knows, that would have opened other things up for you. Against the CPU, the QB runs all the time and rarely pitches it, so when I saw it in a user game, my brain at first isn't thinking option. LOL...

Again, in your defense Recchem, you did the right thing by immediately asking about it and communicating so I want to make that clear. It was just the timing. People use what they know works and the option has a high success rate.

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I was that user that got burned by Bogey' option and I would not call it cheese.

7. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

No. The option isn't cheese and it shouldn't be banned. It can be defended.

8. ko deadeye

ko deadeye Walk On

Yes with the proper D it is a dead play.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just not by the CPU.

The guys who play the FS in user games can usually make the play, or at least force a decision by the QB. But the guys who play d-linemen or backers have a tough time getting there. I'm thinking of switching my play to the MLB this year for sim reasons (my FS is getting 10-12 tackles a game = not very realistic. I like the Thorpe award and all, but ...) so I know I will be very susceptible to this play. It's not cheese, but it has a number of cheese-like elements. Are there ways we could regulate it? No triple option? Single back sets only? Shotgun sets only?

Just spit-balling here. I don't know which plays guys are busting deep. Even with Pryor, I'm not running it.

AG

10. PK55

PK55 Rabid Football Fan

I'm not in favor of banning it...Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with the option...lol...It's all good, I just have to stop it...